Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Final standings are out for Indycar Fantasy, congrats KingShibby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Basticle posted:

174 days until the next race :smith:

Silly seasons and off-seasons have been getting more more and more interesting, so at least there's this one to look forward to. :unsmith:

Then again, those great off-seasons just make you want the actual season to start already. :smith:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Final standings are out for Indycar Fantasy, congrats KingShibby.

Wow I guess not everyone put in picks for every race because I know I forgot 1 race this year and had garbage picks, I never expected to win

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Still plenty of sports car racing to watch in the off season

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Wow I guess not everyone put in picks for every race because I know I forgot 1 race this year and had garbage picks, I never expected to win

I had picks in for every race and finished five spots behind you.

My picks were exceptionally bad this year.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That was a pretty good Sonoma race. This package is excellent. I've heard complaints about how the cars race on speedways but I didn't see too much of an issue there - a lot of golden era races on big ovals were like that too.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had picks in for every race and finished five spots behind you.

My picks were exceptionally bad this year.

I got lucky and finished 3rd by one point.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Basticle posted:

174 days until the next race :smith:

it's ok we have the ultimate comedy race with nascar running the charlotte roval to look forward to until then

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I've mentioned it before, but I highly recommend people track down a copy of Super Speedway and watch it. That will fill in an hour of time between now and next season :D

Really wish I saw it in IMAX as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyugAuAxZO4

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Chaves just got hosed lol. But congrats to O’ward, Herta II, and another car on the grid next year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

freeranger posted:

I've mentioned it before, but I highly recommend people track down a copy of Super Speedway and watch it. That will fill in an hour of time between now and next season :D

Really wish I saw it in IMAX as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyugAuAxZO4

It's so good. When it came out, it was showing at the Ontario Mills IMAX the first year CART went to Fontana.

Projector broke halfway through, and it didn't make it to an AZ IMAX for a couple years.

Maybe this is just a matter of being the right age at the time, but to me, everything PC23-and-newer still looks modern to me, at least from the outside. Yet getting a good look at the cockpit of Villeneuve's Reynard at the IMS Museum this year really shows how much simpler those cars still were versus the DW12.

Frond posted:

Chaves just got hosed lol. But congrats to O’ward, Herta II, and another car on the grid next year.

I'm guessing Chaves is at least getting a severance check, but I think you could argue that O'Ward putting that car in the Fast 6 probably killed Gabby's career.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think the CART/CCWS cars were among the last of the big open-wheelers to have gear levers. They were quite aerodynamically advanced though, until development was frozen after the CART collapse.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Chaves is decent but he’s like a Richie Hearn/Gualter Salles tier driver. Like them he also has no money. I guess he can be a journeyman.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, so it's that time again!

Penske
Newgarden
Power
SiPag

Andretti
Marco
Rossi
RHR
Veach

SPM
Hinch
Wickens, hopefully

Harding
O'Ward
Herta

Special Ed
King*/Special Ed
Pigot

Ganassi
Dixon
Rosenqvist

Carlin
Kimball*
Chilton*
Rumored Third Car?

Coyne
Bourdais
???

Foyt
Leist
TK

Rahal
Graham
Taku

Shank* (part time)
Harvey

Juncos* (unknown)
???

*no explicit confirmation, but likely

Free Agents
Alonso
Chaves
Daly
Kaiser
Clamato
Fitipaldi
Ed Jones

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 28, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It would be nice to see a list of drivers banging the doors down to try to land a seat in the series as well.

Poor Gabby :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

Alright, so it's that time again!

Penske
Newgarden
Power
SiPag

Andretti
Marco
Rossi
RHR
Veach

SPM
Hinch
Wickens, hopefully

Harding
O'Ward
Herta

Special Ed
King*/Special Ed
Pigot

Ganassi
Dixon
???

Carlin
Kimball*
Chilton*

Coyne
Bourdais
???

Foyt
Leist
TK

Shank*
Harvey

Juncos*
???

*no explicit confirmation, but likely to return

My additions/guesses:

Rahal with Graham and Taku and a very likely 3rd. (I always forget them or Foyt when i do the rundown in my head too)

Miller has said that Ganassi's 2nd will be Rosenqvist and the contract is signed, so that seems pretty firm.

Shank and Harvey are confirmed for at least 6 races, but the hope is to add more.

McLaren seems likely at this point, dunno the structure though.

Lots of other teams sniffin around, like Scuderia Corsa and Dragon Speed, and a lot of drivers sniffin around too. It looks like at least 25 cars will be the norm next year, which is awesome.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Lots of other teams sniffin around, like Scuderia Corsa and Dragon Speed, and a lot of drivers sniffin around too. It looks like at least 25 cars will be the norm next year, which is awesome.

Doing the math in my head, we might see some races with 28 (or more????) cars outside of Indy. If McLaren somehow gets its poo poo together and fields a two-car team, bump that number up to 30.

That's insane. The good kind of insane. But insane nonetheless.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

My additions/guesses:

Rahal with Graham and Taku and a very likely 3rd. (I always forget them or Foyt when i do the rundown in my head too)

Miller has said that Ganassi's 2nd will be Rosenqvist and the contract is signed, so that seems pretty firm.

Shank and Harvey are confirmed for at least 6 races, but the hope is to add more.

I knew I forgot a team. :doh:

22 firm full time rides next season!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

My additions/guesses:

Do these potential new teams have Munoz's phone number

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not indy, but a good sign I suppose. Sales for Sebring so far are up 341% over last year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

It would be nice to see a list of drivers banging the doors down to try to land a seat in the series as well.

Poor Gabby :(

Added some names.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dixon with a real teammate again will be something to watch. Rosenquist should be quick.

It’s time to take a breath and realize the good times are here again. Not to be congratulatory or to slack off, but drat it’s so good to see American open wheel properly healthy again.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

It’s time to take a breath and realize the good times are here again. Not to be congratulatory or to slack off, but drat it’s so good to see American open wheel properly healthy again.

It only took 10 years after the reunification but the steady leadership of INDYCAR and their three year cycles has led to steady growth

2019 is gonna be an incredible year :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

Dixon with a real teammate again will be something to watch. Rosenquist should be quick.

It's crazy to think the Split was just over 20 years ago. It's crazy how things have progressed since then :unsmith:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I can’t watch this sport if Chud gets a ride.

Ban me if Chud gets a full season ride. :toxx:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/GSteinbrennerIV/status/1042549613809606656

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

I can’t watch this sport if Chud gets a ride.

Ban me if Chud gets a full season ride. :toxx:

I didn't want to be reminded of him :barf:

I'll take Sage over him.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

A Good Steinbrenner.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Minto Took posted:

A Good Steinbrenner.

I dunno man, that hair...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

A Good Steinbrenner.

HE IS 22 YEARS OLD

I’m used to athletes being young but An IndyCar Team Owner? My goodness.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Minto Took posted:

A Good Steinbrenner.

As a Red Sox fan, there is no such thing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2018/09/19/indycar-harding-steinbrenner-teams-merge-sign-oward-herta-19/1359322002/

quote:

Next year, the team will lease dampers from Andretti Technologies, while also sharing chassis development data with the Andretti’s IndyCar team. According to a source at Andretti Autosport, the arrangement also allows for the newly formed team to sub-contract Andretti Autosport engineers, though the details on this part of their arrangement have yet to be sorted out.

and

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1042521878315892737

So it seems the current best path in for Alonso and/or McLaren is through Steinbrenner/Harding. Steinbrenner gets a world-class driver to help teach Pato and Herta to drive, Alonso gets Andretti hardware and engineers to guarantee a competitive car out of the gate, and once Alonso is done with Toyota in WEC he and McLaren are free to come to Honda in 2020 and make the Andretti alliance (or their own proper team) a reality.

Plausible.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sounds like Zak Brown is a Hack Clown tbh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Watch Scott Dixon play out one more year with Ganassi then go be the second McLaren driver once they can be a proper Andretti/Honda team.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If Big Dix Energy had any sense he'd stay far away from anything involving Alonso and Zak Brown.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Wirth1000 posted:

Sounds like Zak Brown is a Hack Clown tbh

I'm clicking the kick button and nothing is happening D:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That would make sense as there still is the “Harding” entry, which was supposed to be Chaves’s car.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1042554290114457601

"IndyCar: Kind of Exciting"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Basticle posted:

"IndyCar: Kind of Exciting"

Well yeah compared to baseball 230mph race cars are only :turianass: kind of :turianass: exciting :rolleyes: