Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Posto de double. Miles and Hinch were just on CNBC talking about the deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/03/21/indycar-racer-james-hinchcliffe-says-he-could-win-against-a-robot.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Which leads me to ask the rest of the thread, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I'd be fine with 50/year with ads, provided that they only do side-by-side ads and not full screen ads.

MotoGP’s Pass is amazing and about $170 for a full season/$24 per month. The WEC Pass has been $40 per season the last few years, with races ala carte including Le Mans. Somewhere in-between is fine with me, but only if it’s region-free. If NBC is insisting on region blocks, then I’ll continue hoping that DAZN picks up IndyCar coverage in Japan (it’s $15 per month and has European and Japanese soccer, Japanese and MLB baseball, and F1).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DLand91/status/977202056468496384

:golfclap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, rundown time:

Confirmed 500 entries:

20 full time drivers:
1. Leist
2. TK
3. Veach
4. Rossi
5. RHR
6. Marco
7. Kimball
8. Chilton
9. Dixon
10. Jones
11. SeaBass
12. Pigot
13. Chaves
14. Rahal
15. Sato
16. Hinch
17. Wickens
18. Newgarden
19. Power
20. SiPag

5 part time entries:
1. Fittipaldi
2. Special Ed
3. Kaiser
4. Harvey
5. Helio

9 500 only:
1. Wilson
2. Munoz
3. Mann
4. Daly
5. Sage (:barf:)
6. Danica
7. Buddy
8. Servia
9. Howard

Total: 34

Any missed ones?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is Buddy fully confirmed? The last I heard, they still needed some more sponsor money and a new tub, though it's still "early" for them right now relative to when they usually get this sorted out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Buddy is probably "mostly confirmed". JR hasnt been confirmed yet, but will be. So 34-35 at the moment. And theres rumors of a 36th engine available, a 17th Chevy, with Harding and Foyt supposedly close on snagging it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Indy RC test is live but no streaming :smith:

They do have a new 101 vid though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7wR9efL1WY

e: I'm still amazed that we're going to have Bump Day. Who would have thought that it would come back in a glorious fashion.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 23, 2018

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So there was supposed to be IMS Oval testing next week but due to the expected bad weather it's being postponed.

I plan on driving down for the Mon 4/30 open test, should be a good day for those in the Indy area to call in sick :getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/alferacing/status/977180302958264321

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/148267-belli-encouraged-by-indycar-safety-upgrades-after-sato-crash

quote:

The Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing driver slid high in Turn 2, hit the wall with the right side of his No. 30 Honda, then veered across the track and hit the inside wall at a high rate of speed before sliding all the way down to Turn 3, where another slight impact was made before the battered car came to a halt near the middle of Turns 3 and 4.

"This was the first big hit it's seen," Belli told RACER. "We've been inspecting it intensely for a number of days, and it performed very well. Takuma was flat through Turns 1 and 2, got high and up into the grey, and pancaked the right-hand side – it was a flush hit – that buckled the right-front suspension, and that left him to be a passenger at the point, and then he went into the inside wall at a 30-degree angle with the left-front at about 185 mph.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adding more side impact protection really helped, eh?

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Where's a good place to sit for the Indy GP? I wasn't planning on going to any races this year but my girlfriend is graduating in Illinois and I found out out her college is less than two hours from Indy. Now we'll be there on May 12th with the afternoon free.

Seats near turn 1 or 14 seem like they would be a good bet or is wandering around the infield with general admission the way to go?

Also how much time should I set aside for the museum?

I'm pretty excited, I haven't been to a race since Detroit in 2015.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

SFH1989 posted:

Where's a good place to sit for the Indy GP? I wasn't planning on going to any races this year but my girlfriend is graduating in Illinois and I found out out her college is less than two hours from Indy. Now we'll be there on May 12th with the afternoon free.

Seats near turn 1 or 14 seem like they would be a good bet or is wandering around the infield with general admission the way to go?

Also how much time should I set aside for the museum?

I'm pretty excited, I haven't been to a race since Detroit in 2015.

I've sat in both northwest and southwest vistas, and I think I preferred the northwest vista for turn 1, but it's a bit of a walk from everything else. This year we're in the paddock penthouse, so we'll see how that looks. I'm not optimistic but everyone else wanted to sit in the shade. The museum is cool, setting aside an hour or so for a decent walk through it is reasonable.

Also I got four extra tickets in that there northwest vista deck I'm trying to part with at a discount, shoot me a PM if you're interested.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, an hour should be good to get through the museum.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/978329115030831104

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
$6100 isn't bad for a show car

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Makes me wish there was any public documentation of what tubs were owned by who. I'm guessing this one must have taken a nasty hit to be turned into a show car.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some new paint:

https://twitter.com/ECRIndy/status/978693382045356034

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/978683244639019009

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

More new paint. ITS GREEN

https://twitter.com/IMS/status/978977291958136832

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Holy poo poo is that number treatment on the speedway wing tiny.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This owns

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I swear it's somehow even more green than 2011.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So we'll have that, SiPag in Menards, and Fuzzy's green.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
More exciting than last year when half the grid was in blue/white cars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC the original concept of the new body had the number placed on that aero bit behind the sidepod and in front of the rear wheel, IMO they should go back to that. Wing numbers are just stupid on the speedway wings, and sidepod numbers are nicely old-school in an early-80s CART way.

e) this one

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That was a fan mockup sadly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

I think the ed's fuzzys car is gonna be black. but Pigot's car is gonna be that pretty great blue, I hope.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss sidepod numbers, the engine cover numbers were OK, as were the IRL's airbox numbers, but I hated when everyone switched to rear wing numbers.

phwoar

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Truesports were such a good team. They might have rivaled Penske in professionalism in the 80s, it's a testament that they and Rahal were able to drag a mediocre Judd-Honda to third in points in 1988 after they got hosed out of an engine deal as punishment for dallying with Ferrari.*

If Ferrari had actually entered, they couldn't have picked a better partner to do it with than Truesports. Then again, Patrick/Nunn were a great team too and they couldn't do poo poo with the March/Alfa.

*in retrospect, the poo poo Cosworth/Ilmor pulled with Truesports in '88 and Patrick in 1992 foreshadowed what would end up being one part of what killed CART, the power the engine suppliers had over the series. Then again, Patrick might have deserved it for allegedly sending an Ilmor engine to Alfa's engine guys. You can put in the poo poo the CART teams did to kick Porsche out of the sport as well.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 28, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

It’ll be a spectrum, going from Helio in the yellow submarine to SiPag, Danica and then the Fuzzy’s car.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Looking for some advice about Mid-Ohio. What all can you see/where can you go with a paddock pass, and is it better to get the Grandstand seats or general admission and walk around?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Looking for some advice about Mid-Ohio. What all can you see/where can you go with a paddock pass, and is it better to get the Grandstand seats or general admission and walk around?

I am also interested in this, but for IMSA

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Holy poo poo is that number treatment on the speedway wing tiny.

Literally my only complaint with the new car is how tiny and undefined the speedway rear wings are.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im fairly sure the rearwing is mostly there for looks anyway at this point. it cant be making too much downforce at all

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fun fact, the lap records in pcars2 at Le Mans for the indycars are within a couple of seconds between the two aero kits, speedway and road course. I wish pcars2 had classic le mans to kill myself crashing at Maison Blanche in a speedway car

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Juncos adds Binder for Detroit, so another race weekend/two races for them.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/binder-extends-juncos-deal-to-six-indycar-races-1019921/

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/TonyD1070/status/979426785933910021

:woop:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Apparently Long Beach ticket sales are up 6% from last year, which was up about the same from the year prior, etc. They had 85k for raceday last year, so this year could be 90k+. I think that will be the biggest crowd since the early 2000s.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:peanut:

Cygni posted:

Apparently Long Beach ticket sales are up 6% from last year, which was up about the same from the year prior, etc. They had 85k for raceday last year, so this year could be 90k+. I think that will be the biggest crowd since the early 2000s.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
IndyCar is booming. The new cars are fantastic.