Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

was out doing errands and only just now saw the replay

man rhr is such a fuckin garbage driver

wasn't HIS fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
It was a bad wreck, but there's this one that I bet most of you don't know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EPIbK9I4M8

And then there's these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCveDtBdew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFp4rXLReaU

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Hopefully he has a full recovery. It's a long list of injuries.

You could see that crash coming a mile off; the live TV view from RHR's car you were thinking "he's not going to... surely not....oh sh.."

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

It was a bad wreck, but there's this one that I bet most of you don't know about.

Call me morbid, but I'm familiar with all of those. I'm actually familiar with the majority of fatal/near-fatal crashes in modern era (1970s onwards) IndyCar and F1, as well as the most famous NASCAR and NHRA crashes. I'm also a big fan of such shows as Destroyed In Seconds, Seconds From Disaster, and Air Crash Investigation/Mayday ("fun" fact, Lauda Air was on one episode).

...yeah, maybe there is a touch of morbidity there... :stonk:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
So pre-surgery, the damage done appears to be a pair of broken ankles, a broken arm, possible fractured vertebra, and a bruised lung. Ouch.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Long Beach renewals are out, no price increase.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
So, was Wickens running Indycar's Fantasy Challenge or something IT MONDAY AFTERNOON WHERE MY POINTS AT

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1031661587634036736
:ohdear:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The latest update sounds rather concerning: https://twitter.com/SPMIndyCar/status/1031661569657200641

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I came here to post the press release but I have been beaten

quote:

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens continues to be treated at Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest following injuries sustained in the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday, Aug. 19. An MRI was instrumental in revealing the most appropriate surgical course and Wickens is undergoing surgery Monday evening for a spinal injury.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential, it's amazing how much MRIs have revolutionized injury treatment as we know it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

eh, it could well be to repair a disk or something along those lines; spinal surgeries are not fun or great but they also aren't uncommon for spinal injuries regardless of severity either. i would not get too concerned unless we hear definitive bad news regarding what kind of injury he has.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

eh, it could well be to repair a disk or something along those lines; spinal surgeries are not fun or great but they also aren't uncommon for spinal injuries regardless of severity either. i would not get too concerned unless we hear definitive bad news regarding what kind of injury he has.

Yeah. I think it might be a cracked disk but no cord damage. Better to stabilize that area first before moving on to the legs.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

So Wickens is gonna come back next season and win a very strong pole position at Pocono, right?
That's how the burden of racing for Sam Schmitt goes if I'm learning the pattern correctly.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Spaced God posted:

So Wickens is gonna come back next season and win a very strong pole position at Pocono, right?
That's how the burden of racing for Sam Schmitt goes if I'm learning the pattern correctly.

How's he going to DNQ in 2020?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Spaced God posted:

I’m just hoping he doesn’t follow Sam Schmidt’s personal pattern. :(

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Boomer The Cannon posted:

How's he going to DNQ in 2020?

Missing quali time by giving an at-length interview about how he peed himself

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Space Racist posted:

So stay away from Walt Disney World? :shrug:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Space Racist posted:

KingShibby posted:

Back in 2016 Sam Schmidt had a MAGA hat attached to the back on his wheelchair's headrest, that's the extent I've seen anyone in IndyCar make any sort of political statement

yeah i also hope not

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 21, 2018

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Fauxhawk Express posted:

yeah i also hope not

I was referring moreso to the paralysis but this is also a major concern.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1031686857443004416

whispering: methanol, methanol

quietly chanting: meth-a-nol, meth-a-nol

stomping and clapping: methanol! meTHANOL! METHANOL

just goin absolutely apeshit: METHANOL, METHANOL, METHANOL

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1031686857443004416

whispering: methanol, methanol

quietly chanting: meth-a-nol, meth-a-nol

stomping and clapping: methanol! meTHANOL! METHANOL

just goin absolutely apeshit: METHANOL, METHANOL, METHANOL

METHanol. Not even once.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But but but the pump! The corn pump trophy!

Finally watched the race. Kinda glad I didn't catch it live because even watching it knowing Wickens is okay (relatively), you know nobody is sure right then.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

This was the first live Indycar race I showed my coworker. We ended up going out to grab lunch, because it was better than sitting in front of his TV listening to endless interviews and "we have no information." He is still willing to give oval racing a shot, but this was not the series introduction I wanted.

:smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bennyfactor posted:

METHanol. Not even once.

I know it’s not a serious post but switching to full methanol would be a very easy way to up the horsepower without any major changes. I’m all for it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

I know it’s not a serious post but switching to full methanol would be a very easy way to up the horsepower without any major changes. I’m all for it.

Instant 100hp boost from the methanol alone.

All these sponsors pulling out is very alarming to me

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo, that sort of surgery insinuates a herniated disc, doesn't it?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It insinuates he might be stuck in a wheelchair.

Is it just me or does everyone else also blame Hunter-Reay for not giving him any room? Wickens was already on the loving apron, RHRs spotter kept telling him he was there, and yet he still came down on him. And then Fatso Andretti blamed it all on Wickens.

I'm coming around to the idea that IndyCar has no business racing on super-speedways anymore. At least a stock car has enough stuff around the survival cell to absorb and dissipate energy before it gets to the driver. If one of the most promising talents in a decade is paralyzed because of this, I am going to have a very hard time watching any more of those kinds of races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Broken vertebrae doesn't always suggest paralysis.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
The crash is 100% Wickens fault. RHR left him space and Wickens should have backed off more. I honestly think Wickens was backing off but lacked the experience to know when he was clear and just barely clipped RHR.

Still though you don't pass in the middle of Pocono Turn 2 just like you don't pass like that at Indy

I hope Wickens can return next year but also that he learns from this

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

drgitlin posted:

Is it just me or does everyone else also blame Hunter-Reay for not giving him any room? Wickens was already on the loving apron, RHRs spotter kept telling him he was there, and yet he still came down on him. And then Fatso Andretti blamed it all on Wickens.

I'm coming around to the idea that IndyCar has no business racing on super-speedways anymore. At least a stock car has enough stuff around the survival cell to absorb and dissipate energy before it gets to the driver. If one of the most promising talents in a decade is paralyzed because of this, I am going to have a very hard time watching any more of those kinds of races.

You don't pass like that in T2 at Pocono. It sucks, I love wickens, and I loathe seeing a crash like that. But its 100% on him.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

KingShibby posted:

The crash is 100% Wickens fault.

This.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It was a rookie move, getting too antsy at the start of a 500 miler and trying to pass where you can’t pass.

Hopefully he learns from it when he comes back SOON

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Broken vertebrae doesn't always suggest paralysis.

on its own no, however the part where it says 'spinal cord injury' is not encouraging

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KingShibby posted:

The crash is 100% Wickens fault. RHR left him space and Wickens should have backed off more. I honestly think Wickens was backing off but lacked the experience to know when he was clear and just barely clipped RHR.

double posting because phone, but rhr even said himself that he thought he was clear of him by turn 2 and came down. even if it was an optimistic move for that point of the race, it is blatantly obvious to anyone with working eyes that wickens held his line and rhr came down on him.

as far as indycars on superspeedways, i mean at that point you're talking about axing the indy 500. this would kill indycar. no fan or driver wants that race to go awaycfor obvious reasons, and hell this crash took place on a track similar to indianapolis and specifically in a turn modeled after the corners at indianapolis. as far as i'm concerned, the people who should decide whether a track is too dangerous should be the drivers themselves. if they have the same reservations about an oval race as they had before that horrid vegas shitshow, indycar should listen and shitcan the track from the schedule. for places like pocono and indy, i think the real answer needs to be a solution to catch fences, especially on parts of the track with no grandstands like turn 2 at pocono.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 21, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think the real answer needs to be a solution to catch fences, especially on parts of the track with no grandstands like turn 2 at pocono.

I mean at that point we're debating what's better, a catch fence or some trees, but it really does seem like the safer situation would be taking the catch fence off and clearing trees out of the area.

Edit: Looking at it on Google Maps, at the speed he was going when he climbed there's a good chance he would have gone into a building or public road if the fence wasn't there. That has got to be one of the closest oval corners to a public street outside of turns 1 and 4 at IMS.

Bentai posted:

This was the first live Indycar race I showed my coworker.

The first in-person Indycar race for my wife, my sister's husband, and his father was Vegas.

My wife still gets jumpy at wrecks like these even when she knows they're coming and I can't blame her.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't mean get rid of catch fencing. for pocono's turn 2, for example, the wall could be a fair few feet higher without issue because it would not be blocking anyone's view. had that wall been 4 or 5 feet higher, this crash would not have been anywhere near as bad. elsewhere, they need to come up with a catch fence that doesn't so thoroughly chew cars up like this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

double posting because phone, but rhr even said himself that he thought he was clear of him by turn 2 and came down. even if it was an optimistic move for that point of the race, it is blatantly obvious to anyone with working eyes that wickens held his line and rhr came down on him.
yeah but thats still wickens fault. thats not a 2 wide corner and rhr clearly had it.

in the end, it doesnt matter. both of them were out of the race and wickens is in the hospital, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't mean get rid of catch fencing. for pocono's turn 2, for example, the wall could be a fair few feet higher without issue because it would not be blocking anyone's view. had that wall been 4 or 5 feet higher, this crash would not have been anywhere near as bad. elsewhere, they need to come up with a catch fence that doesn't so thoroughly chew cars up like this.

Yeah, a taller SAFER would have been a big help here.