Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe add something along with the body kits "The 2015-17 era of manufacturer-specific body kits is over, now both Honda and Chevy teams will use one new set of aero designed and built by Dallara and which promises more underbody aero and a much cleaner, more 1980s/1990s-inspired IndyCar look."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] Sato is 40 and Honda’s pet driver; Penske has five and arguably six solid drivers in his stable for three cars (Helio, Montoya and Ricky Taylor all over in IMSA instead) and also owns the company which builds Chevy’s IndyCar engines. Sato won’t be driving for The Captain.

Andretti is about to jump up considering the rumors of the money Veach is bringing with him (something like 5 years/$25mil?). And if there’s a third engine manufacturer, you’d once more expect them to pluck Andretti as the works team—established infrastructure, four regular cars/six cars at Indy, and Ganassi (Honda) and Penske (Chevy) are already spoken for.

Bold Prediction Carlin runs consistently but Shank or Juncos fluke the best result of this group of “new” teams.

Also forgot to spaz out that Portland is back :toot: ...but I’ll be stuck in Japan unable to come back to “conveniently” visit that weekend :smith:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 10, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Definitely going to be interesting to see Carlin that's in a top level domestic series instead of junior categories. Are they running a single car or two?

Two—Charlie “Murphy” Kimball and Are Max Chilton moving over from Ganassi to form the Carlin squad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I don't know who Kimball is but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to the second

Chilton was with Carlin forever in Europe and I believe his family (brother Tom and sponsor/father) also have ties with Carlin. Marco at Andretti Autosport and Max with Carlin are two of the safest seats in motorsports.

[Edit] don’t forget the Dinner with Racers guys somehow got Scott Tucker to chat, and it sounds so...odd how chipper he is once you learn now he’s got 16 years in prison coming up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I've only listened to the first few so far (Pumpelly, Varsha and Legge) but this does remind me I wanted to ask a question.

Oh my god you have so much good chat ahead of you. Recommendations include Level 5 special, Bill Riley, and the two-part Tommy Kendall episode from season one; Johnny O’Connell, Mike Shank, David Hobbs, Hurley Haywood, the drug-related ones (Whittington and Lanier), and Brendan Gaughn from season two; and basically everything in season 3. I’m only part-way, and still have Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon to come.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leyton House was peak Japanese bubble era, good lord

and yeah from even the briefest of glances at the Group 1001 web page, those are definitely their colors. All of them. Even the teal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don’t have a news article yet but Marshall Pruett is tweeting that Dan Gurney has passed away.

[Edit]

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/952680171831574528

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

https://twitter.com/SPMIndyCar/status/953189646472794112

This is insanely cool as hell, what a huge get for IndyCar.

holy poo poo, that's a hell of a get. Hope she can get a grasp of IndyCars and help Hinch climb up into the championship fight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Marshall Pruett's guest on the week in IndyCar this week is John Andretti, which is a good interview (still a bit left in it for me) and a good reminder that the Porsche-March IndyCars were pretty awesome

PYF IndyCar paint schemes, 1980s to pre-Nigel era

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

And I don't view Danica as dangerous, but I also don't view her as any real threat to be competitive. She hasn't been in any Indycar since 2011, never in a DW12. The new aero kit is probably her best hope at a slightly more level playing field but nearly everyone else in the field will have months to years of experience with the DW12 that she won't.

how much experience will any team/driver have at Indy with the kits though? If she comes back in May, that'll be when most people are getting their first exposure to it as well, no?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Turbo V6s are fine, but letting them boost those things to the high heavens would be awesome. Everything to continue along the Rick Mears “less downforce, more power, let the drivers figure it out” train of thought.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

the new brake package really puts on a good show it seems

Looks real good in side profile. Swept rear helps.

Now we just need teams to put LEDs spelling out words in their wheels again ala Newman-Haas in late ChampCar.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Primary sponsorship for Dixie. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if it coincidentally Gives You Wings.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Posted here first

I like it. Especially when compared to the godawful halo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Looks a bit better in the flesh

A major national blue-chip has the money to sponsor the entire car. This is only a good thing.

And I know we’re all saying it but holy hell, this new 2018 body kit looks exactly like we’d want it to.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

They both provide historically low interest rates.
:v:

drat fine work there

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

Those flag lights are already used in F1, it's a really good thing to have and making it more standard is cool.

Right but making them much lighter and more flexible would be another important step forward.

Love the look with the windscreen, doesn’t take anything away from the car’s design.

Can’t wait for the season to start again :dance:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

2018 IndyCar thread idea: 1980s/early 90s hero card pictures as avatars

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

That car looks like a cartoon character that totally expected this ending.

something straight out of the Flinstones - *squawk* "It's a living"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Just more rumor mill masquerading as news that MP is famous for. At least you guys find it enjoyable and I guess it qualifies as coverage of the sport we all love :iiam:

so here's the thing that I don't get. if somebody was going to pass along rumors as fact in this way, wouldn't they also be lovely about breaking every bit of news regardless of NDAs as well? Of course MP doesn't have the gumshoe reporter college degree and background, more a retired racer turned writer, but he's broken enough stories that are ahead of everyone else and accurate that it has to be more than the usual fluttering of rumors.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Did they rip off Dale Jr’s number font for the 88 there? It looks close.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Yeah I was just thinking it's nice to see two properly sponsored Dale Coyne entries without paniced phone calls to Sonny's and the Boy Scouts.

The second car will likely have that through the year, but it seems like Bourdais’ car is properly funded.

Also it’s kinda weird that JoNew is basically in Helio’s car but with the #1 plate. The ultimate final insult :smug:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Speaking of.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147850-inside-indycar-s-next-gen-display-panels

If I were at the track, something I would like to see is a clear indication of which cars are on the lead lap. Not that you couldn't infer that from position indicators, but on ovals and restarts especially it would be great if the leaders would stick out like a sore thumb with a different colored LED. Say for instance, green for the cars on the lead lap and red for those a lap down or more.

They’re using red for positions and green for P2P and for pit stop times. Blue might be a decent color for lapped cars’ positions, as that matches the blue flag?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The 35 car grid was a result of USAC deciding to ignore the 25/8 rule and start two cars that would have otherwise been excluded by it

I was going to say “well what about 1979?” but realized it was also about USAC being dumb, teams breaking away and USAC trying to keep stock blocks competitive. So, history really does repeat :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The car looks reeeeaaaalllly good in motion on the track, and the mixing of the standings reminds of 2012/13 when the DW12 first came in.

and most of the grid looks really healthy with sponsors? Strap in. This is going to be a good year for the ol' IndyCars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also the Stadium Trucks are no longer on the bill and it's a major bummer, anyone know what happened with that?

I’d guess they were busy in Australia instead? Not sure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wickens admitted as much post-race.

And yeah, this is definitely a zero-to-dogpile situation. Partially because Wickens is a cool rookie but the hate for Rossi has purely to do with who he hit (same move on a Penske getting the same reaction around here? Probably not) and not who he is. “Scott Speed with a 500 win” isn’t exactly something he was called at all.

Not defending the move at all having seen it, and I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised at some of The Worst Posters trying to bury somebody immediately, but here we are.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Real life racing game. So good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

American open wheel and American sports cars are the two healthiest series in the world. What the gently caress.

It’s amazing, let’s enjoy before the swings and roundabouts start again.

Interesting that Miles would drop that they have “at least three” multinationals in line for the sponsorship. Trying to think who would fit the profile of the mentioned companies, not sure though. But still - it’s good times now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Well there was an open test at Barber today, and Helio got to drive!

I'm sure there's plenty of articles and stuff out there but the best thing is that Helio finished P3 on the day behind Newgarden and Power :smaug:

Uh no the best thing is YELLOW SUBMARINE PENNZOIL SCHEME

DEAR GOD YES

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Want a side view?

have a side view.

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

this may or may not be related to my recent use of Pennzoil yellow submarine paint schemes in GT Sport, but still. Fwoah what a looker.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Which leads me to ask the rest of the thread, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I'd be fine with 50/year with ads, provided that they only do side-by-side ads and not full screen ads.

MotoGP’s Pass is amazing and about $170 for a full season/$24 per month. The WEC Pass has been $40 per season the last few years, with races ala carte including Le Mans. Somewhere in-between is fine with me, but only if it’s region-free. If NBC is insisting on region blocks, then I’ll continue hoping that DAZN picks up IndyCar coverage in Japan (it’s $15 per month and has European and Japanese soccer, Japanese and MLB baseball, and F1).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

So we'll have that, SiPag in Menards, and Fuzzy's green.

It’ll be a spectrum, going from Helio in the yellow submarine to SiPag, Danica and then the Fuzzy’s car.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

im fairly sure the rearwing is mostly there for looks anyway at this point. it cant be making too much downforce at all

Armchair aerodynamics here, but it’s probably stabilizing a bit (the rear wing as a whole). I think they would lose out if they ran without (or attempted to). Those tiny endplates do look WipeOut as hell though.

I’m so glad that the quality of racing, the stability and growth of the ladder, and improvements made in IndyCar have built it into a really solid place. It finally feels like we’re out of the long, dark post-2005 woods, and that there will be better things ahead. Here’s hoping they build on the strength.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I forgot it’s a Saturday night race, means I can catch it live :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

The racing gods.

Agreed. And good for Coyne too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm very glad I watched the race without knowing details, that was a hell of a race. Love how JoNew proved that new tires are A Good Thing, and loved the racing at the end as well. Phoenix making for the good race we always knew it could provide :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They lost those fans overnight when the split happened and it will take a long time to get them back. They should keep running those races and consider it an investment even if they don't immediately get good attendance.

Ding ding ding ding

The crowds will be back, the race was quite fine, they can’t all be bangers but it was entertaining enough.

Salesforce sponsoring a car though? Daaaamn. Let’s hope they catch on and stay around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did he get WrestleMania-itis?

Somehow got need-to-stay-quarantined real sick, mentioned it at least on the sports car podcast.

One of us needs to send that question in for next week’s IndyCar podcast though. I’ll try to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My goodness :psyboom: