Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I thought Phoenix was a good race and short ovals are my least favourite type of track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Short ovals were good in CART until they made the dumb decision to run speedway wings on them.

I was never overly fond of them, but then again I'm not a huge oval fan in general. But yes they got significantly worse after 1998 with the speedway wings.

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 12, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

KingShibby posted:

Holy loving poo poo I just spotted a celebrity here in Long Beach

Mark Plourde

WHOA.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Do you think Buddy will sit this one out?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Tony George's only failure: Not blackballing everyone with CART connections. Now look at the series -- same pack of third-string drivers from fourth-string F1 teams; same small fields; same awful ratings; same awful gate figures. When removing a cancer, one must make sure to get *all* of it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's cool how wrong that entire post is. It's amazing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's legitimately funny how IRL won the actual war but CART won the ideological war. there's virtually none of the IRL's vision in the current series anymore. also the Road to Indy stuff has done a legit good job at getting american road racing talent into the series, because as much as I love making fun of the xenophobic fans it was kind of a problem that CART's last good american in 2001 was a 40-year-old Michael Andretti.

I really started to notice it in 2000, when there were 4 Americans on the grid. But yeah, the only good to above average Americans on the grid from 2000-2002 were Andretti, Vasser, and I guess Gidley.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
His 2015 was his best ever year, IMO. The car was loving awful too.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Gidley was probably pretty good and a legitimate casualty of the death of CART. Alex Barron was less good (and won an IRL race, which I frequently forget)

IDK when investment in the US road racing ladder happened but the pair of Allmendinger and Ryan Hunter-Reay in the early CCWS era was pretty decent and we're legitimately starting to show results now with guys like Rossi, Newgarden and I guess Graham lol.

Hearn never amounted to much, despite doing well in Atlantics. Townsend Bell was a dud too, and I think is the only driver I've seen to be barred from competing mid race.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
One thing that affected the rise of US based talent for a while was the confusion over which feeder series they wanted to promote. Atlantics or Lights seemed to carry the same weight.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Do they still use the big "P"?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
While annoying, I generally understand why FCYs are thrown on street circuits. They didn't do it in the past and sometimes that led to disasters, like Mario at Toronto in 1989.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That win was cool because his car that day was awful.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
NOLA seriously has some of the worst drainage I've ever seen on a road course. Jesus Christ. Takagi was really lucky at Surfers '02.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

iospace posted:

What the hell happened between those two? Did Gabby block SiPag or something?

Yeah he couldn't get around him.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Barber is alright. I guess it's sorta like Laguna in a way where you can't really pass but it's fantastic to drive on.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Portland is nice but I'm apprehensive about the show it's gonna put on.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
'99 was also pretty good.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It was. I also think De Ferran and Naoki Hattori were the only Goodyear shod cars to even qualify in the top 10 on any Road Course or Street Circuit all season.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Jani would consider Indycar again.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

he already did, though

It's easy to forget. For a very obvious reason.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah really. She's not great but the last Indycar she drove was an antique from the turn of the century and was radically different.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I assume Buddy isn't showing up.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I cried when Sato won.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don't have a strong opinion about Castroneves.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Fittipaldi already did that.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He had a Super Formula Ride too...

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's going to be Saavedra probably. Vautier would be a logical choice but the guy has like no money.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Celis Jr. is making his debut at Road America for Juncos.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked the glitchcore look and they should make them glitch more

They should make them send amusing/lewd/rude messages to the other pit crews and drivers.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
If you pass somebody it should show the Pac Man and/or the ghosts like in the game.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
White, you will find, is the best colour for a racing car, while silver is some bullshit.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That race was kinda boring but probably among the best on the Indy GP road course. I wouldn't shed any tears if they found a different venue or dropped it entirely, though.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Nice JR.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It was the reverse the last 2 years.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Chevrolets have a little more top end this year I think while the Honda cars are better in the midrange and down low.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think Davison might be finished.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Honda seems to have lost something in the top end.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Sato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
HPD let their teams down today.