Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm the stereotypical cheeto in a goon's car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

I'm the stereotypical cheeto in a goon's car.

Hah, those were fries and there when I bought it. You should have seen it before I started cleaning it out. It was pretty gross. At some point I guess some deoderant melted in the center console and created an absolutely disgusting but pleasant smelling mixture of trash and goo.

I legit found stuff dated from over a decade ago.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Got some stuff done over the weekend.

Volvo:
- Pulled the snow wheels/tires off, put the smaller wheels on. Tires are really old, I'm looking for some cheap used tires to replace them.

Jeep:
- Changed the two-year-old oil and oil filter, changed the air filter, replaced the wiper blades. All I really have to do on it is get the brakes fixed.

Porsche:
- Out of storage! It's leaking some coolant now that it's not inside. It was doing it last year too. Overnight it gets cold (30° this morning) and the temperature difference causes a sensor in the radiator to weep a bit. Annoying as hell and I need to get it fixed but it looks like it's gonna be a pain in the rear end to get to.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I will never get over how nice a 944 looks. Ever.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seriously. People lust over the froggy 928 and while it's not bad looking, I feel the 944 is the better looking of the two and should be more appreciated. I just can't get over how it looks with the lights up for the 928 and not a huge fan of the rear end either.

A white 944 with the euro bumpers and mesh BBS wheels is one of my dream cars.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

944 is a legit nice looking car, it had hips for days :allears:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Had a scare with the 944 over the weekend. Drove it, parked it, heard a knocking coming from the engine, cylinder four. Turned the car off, turns out with the key in ACC it still knocks... it's the cruise control module trying to engage or something. I've unplugged it but I've known it's needed to be taken apart and cleaned for awhile. Still... I was so loving relieved to still hear it after the engine was off.

Also took the Jeep in to get the brakes looked at. They're not great and one of the rear drums sticks, but the reason they felt so bad was because there was a bunch of air in the system. My guy bled the brakes and it only cost me $45. Which to be fair, is the price for one entire Jeep Cherokee... So with that, the Jeep is road-worthy. I did notice it dripping some coolant after I drove it yesterday, seemed to be coming from the radiator cap, so we'll see what happens with that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Haven't done much but drive my cars lately. Ordered some tailgate struts for the Jeep and a taillight for the truck today. Went and checked out a couple of XJs a guy a couple miles away was parting out. Real redneck place, he had several vehicles out back as well as a pig in a pen. :shrug: I might buy some used tires off of him but he wanted too much for most of the stuff I needed, and I don't really need a lot right now. I need to take my doors apart and see what I need to fix the windows but I haven't done that yet.

Yesterday the Challenger got an oil change and the Porsche got a nice wash. I had some help.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have enhanced my truck.

Old and busted:

New hotness

I used a crowbar to try to bend the side of the bed back in position. Now instead of a dent it just looks a little wrinkled. Good enough, I say.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Trucks look best with scars imo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
New tailgate struts for the Jeep! It stays open without my head holding it up now.

One of the upper bolts went missing and I looked for an hour before I gave up. Don't really need it that bad, I'll grab one on my next junkyard trip but goddamn thats annoying. There are only so many places it could have gone but it seems to have completely vanished.

edit: found the bolt. Riddle me this. I did this work outside in my bare feet. In my driveway. I found the missing bolt on my living room floor. My children were not outside nor were my wife or cats. :iiam:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 9, 2018

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My dads old ranger had an identical dent and busted tail light except on the driver’s side from a buck that ran out of the woods and broadsided him one day lol

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

My dads old ranger had an identical dent and busted tail light except on the driver’s side from a buck that ran out of the woods and broadsided him one day lol

The front right corner on my truck is damaged from a deer one of the POs hit. They replaced the turn signal with a different housing or something and one of the wires is missing. I think the corner light doesn't light up with the headlights as a result. :shrug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So over the past couple of weeks I changed the oil in the Focus, changed the engine and cabin air filters on the Challenger, and glued the Jeep's rearview mirror back on.

Yesterday I took a trip to the junkyard (mostly for Trailblazer door parts for my brother's piece of poo poo Trailblazer) and I got a new door check and a factory CD/tape player for the Jeep. I broke the mounting tabs off (the stereo was from a Grand Cherokee but had the same mounting tabs, I don't know why I couldn't get it in but I forced it a little too hard) but the dash retains it once it's in, so no biggie. It also came with a free Suicide Squad soundtrack...

While I was there I was looking at how the window regulators work, and I couldn't figure out how the hell they come out. I want to fix the front windows. My Haynes basically says they're non-serviceable, but they look removable, I just couldn't figure out where all they were attached.

Also, had a scare today driving the Jeep. I was leaving a factory and a dude comes out yelling at me... the radio wouldn't turn down (the volume knob is finicky) so I just turned the Jeep off. He just wanted to make sure I knew the way to their other plant, and when I went to start the Jeep it wouldn't start. Turns out, being used to manuals, I had shut it off while in drive. I put the shifter in park, started the Jeep and left, but during the entire drive I didn't have my turn signals, stereo or windows. In retrospect I doubt my taillights worked. Next time I got in and started it, everything was fine. What the hell was that about? edit: When I put it in park there was also a weird mechanical sound that I haven't heard since.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 25, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Off the top of my head, Jeeps of that vintage are sort of infamous for bad park-neutral switches. Maybe your frenzied changing bumped it or otherwise antagonized a dodgy switch.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the engine air filter and the cabin filter in the Focus last night.

Despite being the exact same Ford part number (I used Motorcraft parts) the air filter was about 3/16" taller than the old one and I had to cut it down a little. The reviews on Amazon suggested that that may be the case so I was kind of expecting it. Strange, though. I stood them up side by side and sure enough one was a little taller.

Also i think this is the first air filter in a modern car that I've seen that wasn't a flat filter.

Cabin filter was easy but gross. 34k miles and it was black as night.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had hopes to change the oil in my 944 today. Owners manual recommends thicker weight oil, 10W40 or preferably 15W40. Apparently these things are strange and foreign to Autozone, Advance Auto and O'reilly's. I found some 'high mileage' 10W40 at Advance Auto but they didn't have a filter so it looks like I am ordering oil online.

Seems most new cars take 5W20 or 5W30, why is this? I have found posts on the internet talking about why older engines need those weight oils but it doesn't explain why auto parts stores wouldn't carry them.

Looks like I'm ordering a case of Mobil1 15W50 tomorrow along with a Mahle filter.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Different beasts but I ran Rotella T6 in the 928 for the ~15k I put on it. Changed every 5k or so. Same with the 320i and all the non-M stuff in the garage.

I'm to the point now where as soon as i buy a car I buy a 10 pack of filters because I hate having to run out mid project to get a stupid filter.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The lighter weight is partly due to tighter tolerances, partly due to MPG goals.

My local Walmart generally has 10W40 in many varieties (including Mobil 1), and it seems pretty easy to find in parts stores as well, but that may be due to the climate here (hot - not Arizona hot, but hot). I can't say I've seen 15W40 on the shelf in anything except Rotella in a long time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

STR posted:

The lighter weight is partly due to tighter tolerances, partly due to MPG goals.

More or less. Less friction, ever so slightly better gas mileage. Feels like we're well past diminishing returns and going for the little 0.1 mpg improvements everywhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ultimately it seems like the thinnest possible oil that still holds up to the forces involved is the best solution - it's just that oils are now way better and engine tolerances can be consistently tighter.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ultimately it seems like the thinnest possible oil that still holds up to the forces involved is the best solution - it's just that oils are now way better and engine tolerances can be consistently tighter.

Until you get to E90/E92 M3 tolerances.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Look let's leave the unicorn blood out of this.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Until you get to E90/E92 M3 tolerances.

Superior German tolerances.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Got my unicorn blood

changed the air filter too. Found a dirty K&N resuable filter installed, kept it and I might clean it and throw it back in. Right now I just have an OEM Mahle paper filter.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cornholio, what are you even doing with all of those?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is 15w50 that hard to get now? Used to buy it all the time for my dad's '94 Z28 since even from new, the oil pressure would get uncomfortably low on a hot idle with synthetic 10w30.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I drove the Jeep in to work this morning, and turned on the heat through the defroster and the windshield immediately fogged up really bad, like couldn't-drive bad. Sometimes while driving, especially in the rain, there would be a foggy patch at the center base of the windshield with everything turned off, but this was pretty bad. It was clearing up when I pulled into work.

I was worried that it might be my heater core and that it was spewing a film of coolant, but I didn't smell coolant at all.

I read somewhere that moisture can accumulate in the A/C pan. Could this be a more reasonable explanation? Maybe I'm just really not in the mood to tear the entire dash out...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Check the A/C drain, it may not be draining correctly. I had a leaf bit in mine and it held enough water to slosh into the fan on hard left turns.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ugh, I definitely smell coolant now. And the bottle was kind of low.

Is there a good writeup for heater core replacement in an XJ? I found this one but it only has a few pictures, and references an older one whose pictures are all gone. It really doesn't look too bad as long as I don't have to remove the steering wheel (which the Haynes says to do, naturally, but it also says to remove the entire dash as opposed to just pulling it to one side...)

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is 15w50 that hard to get now? Used to buy it all the time for my dad's '94 Z28 since even from new, the oil pressure would get uncomfortably low on a hot idle with synthetic 10w30.

My car takes 15W-50. Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance, etc...nobody carries it. The only store I can find it is Wal-mart, of all places. And not just any one, I have to go to the one like 15 miles away for it if I need it right away. Otherwise, I just order it online.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Black88GTA posted:

My car takes 15W-50. Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance, etc...nobody carries it. The only store I can find it is Wal-mart, of all places. And not just any one, I have to go to the one like 15 miles away for it if I need it right away. Otherwise, I just order it online.

Oreillys should stock the mobil 15w-50 quarts on their oil rack. I know mine does. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

So the Focus was rear-ended on Saturday. Was stopped at a light, traffic in front of me pulled forward about two car lengths and I did the same, the Trailblazer behind me decided the light must be green and floored it right into my bumper. He then took off. Probably hit me at 10mph. I got a partial plate number but that was it. Thought about giving chase but I had my kids in the car and a Focus isn't the fastest thing on the road. Pulled over and called the cops instead.

Not a whole lot of damage. Popped the sides of the bumper back in place but the rear has some obvious creases and stuff that won't buff out. One of the backup sensors looks damaged but they seem to work. Thought about just living with it but the wife insists on getting it fixed. Not expecting to get my deductible back since it was a hit and run but I do have a case number and insurance is going to pressure the police to find him.

Just annoying. That's all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ugh, why must the general populace always be the worst?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I fixed my heater core :v:

(This is hopefully only temporary. I like having heat in the winter. The heater core is so bad though that on the 25 miles to and from work I'll have lost my entire overflow bottle, and there is cooling coming from the A/C drain. This way I can drive it until I man up and pull the dash. I might wait until spring to do that though.)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I am going to tell a story about my good friend Donald. Don bought a 1999 Range Rover a couple of years ago despite my warnings. This is a pre-BMW Range Rover, and just before they switched the ignition system to Bosch, so it has a Lucas injection system. It ran well enough for awhile until this past spring when he blew a head gasket. He used my AAA card to have it towed to a shop where it has been slowly getting a replacement engine. He has a first-gen CR-V 5-speed and bought a house and so told them to take their time with it (and occasionally stop working altogether). They've had it for seven months and everybody recognizes that that is hilarious and they're all OK with it.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when something in the CR-V's engine fails catastrophically and he loses all oil pressure and subsequently the bottom end (my understanding, anyway). He took it to a shop near his new house and they told him the engine is toast and were going to give him two hundred dollars for it. The shop with the Range Rover tower it the 40 miles to their place (for free) and are giving him $500 off of his Range Rover bill for it, and are going to drop a new engine in and give it to their mother. But Don needed a car to drive.

This is where I come in.

I loaned him my truck because I have six cars and have been neglecting it. It's good to get some miles put on it before winter. It needs front brakes bad and the exhaust is literally hanging off but otherwise it is decent enough for a piece of poo poo. So he drives it for two weeks and calls me yesterday morning telling me it has had a complete and utter failure of the brakes. He limps it to work and it looks like it blew out the rear right brake line. At this point he thinks his ex-girlfriend is some kind of witch and placed a curse upon him. My truck got towed (thanks AAA!) to the same shop that has his Range Rover and CR-V to get a new brake line put on (and maybe the front brakes done if they'll do it cheaply enough).

So how he's driving a loaner that they have and he's terrified that he's going to break this one too.

Long story short the truck is in the shop getting a new brake line and witches might be real.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Does his ex-girlfriend work for the shop? Because she should be getting finder's fees for that poo poo.

(Also $200 for a first-gen manual CR-V, blown engine or not, is the deal of the century)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CR-VTEC swap in a 5 speed CR-V. :getin:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

CR-VTEC swap in a 5 speed CR-V. :getin:

The engine they're dropping in is out of an '03ish Accord. Nothing exciting.

I was hanging out and talking with the mechanic and they have a Porsche Boxter, first gen, sitting in the yard behind their garage. Some 18 year old kid dropped it off to get some work done and I guess then moved to Texas or something. The chip in the ignition key broke so they hadn't been able to start it, and it's been sitting there for months now. They got the key fixed and it blows the main fuse every time they start it. They think chipmunks ate through some of the wiring.

The guy was genuinely sad about it because he said it ran great and now it's basically worth scrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So apparently the truck's front brakes were so bad it blew off a caliper. How does that even happen? That's how it was worded but I'm thinking the piston overextended and blew the seal out. Does that make sense? The brakes haven't been making noise for very long, but I was going to do them when I got it back from being borrowed. Oh well.

So I need front pads and rotors and a caliper, and it's at a mechanic and has no brakes. I could do the work but I'm out of AAA tows and it doesn't sound like it's safe to drive.

This is how it all falls apart. I have money set aside for repairs but they're intended for the Volvo, which I need to get back on the road as it's my winter car. The truck is about to get parked for the year.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 23, 2018