Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sindai posted:

Granted it would have made more sense if they were just too badly mutilated to save but then they would have had to do the awkward TV censorship thing.

Her arms don't necessarily need to be mutilated to require amputation. An injury that would result in the complete severing or blockage of the brachial artery in the upper arm would, given enough time before it could be treated, result in the arm going necrotic. A severely broken or mangled upper arm or a gun shot wound that passes through the artery would do it.

Of course that would be a little difficult to visually convey short of a hilariously out of place "X-ray Kill Cam" à la Sniper Elite V2. Then again, her arms going completely limp from the lack of blood flow and associated injury to the median nerve (which is directly adjacent to the brachial artery in the upper arm) could have also worked.

To be honest during the first time that final moment with the Major played, I had thought Violet had gotten her arms crushed in rubble or something and just ripped herself free Terminator style. Or at the very least from repeated injuries during combat and she fought so hard that they just fell off. Losing her arms to a couple of cheap shots from the enemy was a little lame but I guess that was to highlight Violet's vulnerability without the Major. That said, losing her arms to a single gun shot and a grenade blast that only manages to injure her arm is a gross exaggeration.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This week was fairly predictable, but so well-executed that it really didn't matter. Really provided a great showcase of Violet's growth on top of being a pretty good and magnificently executed self-contained story. I kinda hope the rest of the show is just this kind of poo poo.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

it sure is dusty in here

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
dustiest episode yet

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Spiritus Nox posted:

This week was fairly predictable, but so well-executed that it really didn't matter. Really provided a great showcase of Violet's growth on top of being a pretty good and magnificently executed self-contained story. I kinda hope the rest of the show is just this kind of poo poo.

Extremely :agreed:

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I could tell more or less where this one was going from the start and it still utterly ruined me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Same as everyone else, I knew fairly early on where it was inevitably going and loving bawled anyways. :smith:

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
:same:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I needed to get that little bit of dirt out of my eye anyway. This show..

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
that was a super good episode

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It wasn't just about the execution of the episode, or it's predictability, it was the final bonus scene with the ending credits song that got me, holy poo poo.

In brighter news, I loved the light touch KyoAni added when they were sitting on the couch and Ann got excited that she would get to teach Violet how to play dolls and was bouncing up and down and you could see the effect ripple to make Violet bob up and down as well :3:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This show is so blunt in its emotional manipulation but it works so well. All the montages were edited perfectly.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

saw it coming, still excellent

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

In brighter news, I loved the light touch KyoAni added when they were sitting on the couch and Ann got excited that she would get to teach Violet how to play dolls and was bouncing up and down and you could see the effect ripple to make Violet bob up and down as well :3:
Heh, I enjoyed that detail too.

One of my general complaints about this show is how a bunch of scenes have background music that don't fit very well, but this episode's music was on point. Pretty much everything about this episode was great.

Aug 24, 2011

i hope we get to see her kill a bunch of dudes

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Same as everyone else, I knew fairly early on where it was inevitably going and loving bawled anyways. :smith:

:same:

Amazing episode, I was worried where they were going to take the series after the previous episode but this one vindicated it for me.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
:qq: <- me watching this episode

This show is good.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I really didn’t like the first two episodes and change of this, with my main gripe around how the show seemed interested in hitting specific emotional beats very slowly and repeatedly within a short time. It seems like the thread’s been really loving it lately, though - do you think it’s worth it for someone who disliked the earliest episodes to give it another shot? Or am I likely to get hung up on the same things if I try again

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

I really didn’t like the first two episodes and change of this, with my main gripe around how the show seemed interested in hitting specific emotional beats very slowly and repeatedly within a short time. It seems like the thread’s been really loving it lately, though - do you think it’s worth it for someone who disliked the earliest episodes to give it another shot? Or am I likely to get hung up on the same things if I try again

It took me and the wife 5 episodes to buy in, others say 3 episodes should be enough to know if it's personally worth it. But everything about this series has been such an incredible experience, from KyoAni's top notch animation production values to excellent framing and timing and shot composition, to characterization and interpersonal relationships, just everything.

This is one of the finest anime dramas.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Jenny Angel posted:

I was in the same situation in that I really didn't like the first two episodes. The third episode convinced me to keep watching, but I'm still not sure about this series. It certainly looks pretty, but I haven't found much else to like about it. It's not really bad in any way either, or at least I'm struggling to find anything to dislike. At this point I'm mostly just in it to see whether the larger plot will try to pay off in some way or come to some resolution.

It's pretty, has nice production values and some of the episodes have decent bargain bin drama novel plots.
I used to enjoy reading bargain bin drama novels and as such I can see some value in it, but it doesn't really rock the boat and the unfocused episodic nature, which can be hit and miss based on your preference of subjects, can be a detriment to the larger narrative. It's a slow burn.
So I guess it's "okay-ish"?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thank god they took the axe out.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Jenny Angel posted:

It's a new drama short story every week, and never expands on the memory doll company members which somehow makes me actually want to read the LN because at least they were interesting. It's all very pretty but if you didn't feel really attached to characters you're never going to see again within about fifteen minutes you're out of luck.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Well, that's me wrecked. This loving season!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've personally been wrecked by the delay for episode 11 subs.

Aug 24, 2011

from character development to a slice-of-death drama

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm glad I started saving Yurucamp for immediately after this. It's like getting stabbed in the heart and then getting a new heart each week. :buddy:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This was the first episode where I felt it had rushed pacing. Still good, but sucks that a more proper length for this story would have been like 1.5 episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oof. Show's settled into a nice rhythm playing on my heartstrings like this. Didn't gently caress me up quite as much as last week, but that's not saying much. And moreso than any that came before, this felt like a job Violet personally needed to complete.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jenny Angel posted:

literally every episode is the same melodrama, complete with them recycling the ‘im so hosed up’ hand scene constantly, incredibly overdramatic music and excessive overuse of bloom and blur in an attempt to bait out tears from the easily emotionally manipulated. so i doubt you’ll like it

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Davincie posted:

literally every episode is the same melodrama, complete with them recycling the ‘im so hosed up’ hand scene constantly, incredibly overdramatic music and excessive overuse of bloom and blur in an attempt to bait out tears from the easily emotionally manipulated.

:rolleyes:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm just worried about what direction the show is going to take after this.

Due to Violet's line about not wanting anyone else to die, I fear she's going to go and try to assassinate the leaders of the anti peace faction or something stupid like that.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm just worried about what direction the show is going to take after this.

Due to Violet's line about not wanting anyone else to die, I fear she's going to go and try to assassinate the leaders of the anti peace faction or something stupid like that.

She's going to write a letter.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

UchihaHirou posted:

She's going to write a letter.

In the blood of her enemies, using bullets for full stops.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Well, Violet's lucky that a bunch of assholes trying to start a war for shits and giggles weren't prepared to just shoot someone.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dzhay posted:

Well, Violet's lucky that a bunch of assholes trying to start a war for shits and giggles weren't prepared to just shoot someone.

They were arrogant assholes, plus they were trying to avoid shooting because it was a sneak attack? But yeah, bad guys being idiots.

I'm just hoping that Gilbert's brother stops being a dickhead and learns to accept Violet as a real person and not just the broken war doll he created.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Action scenes in the dark are really not playing to this series' strengths.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Wh...what the gently caress was going on in this episode? Why were those dudes literally just staring at the guy getting choked out??? A random woman immediately knocks out two of your men and everyone just :effort: "oh right, that girl"

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
Isn't that how it usually is in anime and movies anyway? Gotta watch dumbfounded instead of just shooting, otherwise the show will probably end early. :)

I think this show is a lot stronger when it's focused on writing letters. I prefer the smaller scaled stories in the show over the larger, overarching one, as it's easier to relate to the personal dramas.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The finale was pretty much as expected but apparently there's enough novel material left that they could use it to start a season 2.

I feel like this is where it should end though. Violet's journey is complete unless they decide Gilbert's alive after all which would be silly.

(Big novel spoilers)

yes he lives in the book but the show pushed him being dead a lot harder so it'd be a bit too fairy tale that he lived at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pretty decent finale. I'm not really sure the train bomb stuff in these last two episodes was really needed but it was okay and the stuff afterward was stronger.

Mokinokaro posted:

The finale was pretty much as expected but apparently there's enough novel material left that they could use it to start a season 2.

I feel like this is where it should end though. Violet's journey is complete unless they decide Gilbert's alive after all which would be silly.

(Big novel spoilers)

yes he lives in the book but the show pushed him being dead a lot harder so it'd be a bit too fairy tale that he lived at all.
Oh yeah that spoiler sounds dumb. If they try and push it in a later season it would be stupid but this first season would still work as a self contained thing at least.

• Locked thread