Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its fitting that she came from drossel cause this ep was dross

joke 2: idk whats worse, this show or that my house almost burned down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

its fitting that she came from drossel cause this ep was dross

joke 2: idk whats worse, this show or that my house almost burned down

At least your house stopped burning.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I thought Violet would've been at least 16 or more. Not 14.

Different art styles be damned, I can't make myself believe that the person they keep drawing here is younger than Yui Hirasawa.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Age gap though :catstare:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xelkelvos posted:

I thought Violet would've been at least 16 or more. Not 14.

I would have thought 19. This takes the "23 is a grizzled veteran" trope a bit too far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Different art styles be damned, I can't make myself believe that the person they keep drawing here is younger than Yui Hirasawa.

Wait. Just to be clear, Violet, in the present day shots, is 14? Like, younger than the characters in "A Place Further Than the Universe"? Younger than season 1 Mikazuki in IBO?

What?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The age of 14 is by what other people have told her so it could likely vary upwards by any amount. What it really is :iiam:

The age gap thing is a bit gross, but taken in context with the setting and the historical period it's emulating, it's not all that out of place.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The age of 14 is by her own estimates so it could likely vary upwards by a year or more. What it really is :iiam:

The age gap thing is a bit gross, but taken in context with the setting and the historical period it's emulating, it's not all that out of place.

It would weird me out less if the we didn't go from the first half of the episode kind of cinematically making a point of how uncomfortable and painful the princess found being paraded out in front of suitors at ten was to the second half basically going "but this particular arranged marriage is totally fine, they actually love each other just fine" tbh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i love that anime's been so relatively good for a while that when a loving ridiculous trope like that pops up again it's actually jarring to everybody

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Was there supposed to be quite a gape in between episode 4 and 5? Because Violet suddenly being able to write super convincing love letters felt extremely jarring to me, like we missed some development on her end with her ability to create convincing prose.

Also really bothered by Violet supposedly being 14, it just... doesn't click.

I think I would've enjoyed this episode a lot more (not really sure why almost everyone in this thread seems to hate it) if it hadn't felt so jarring with Violet's jump in ability.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They said something about her having completed several jobs by now so I guess that counts as an implied timeskip.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

The age of 14 is by what other people have told her so it could likely vary upwards by any amount. What it really is :iiam:

I take it as her recalling a time her age came up years ago. I could almost buy fourteen in some of the war flashbacks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm going to pretend Violet is 18 now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's probably likely that Violet is older than 14 and just looks younger than her real age suggests due to things like malnourishment as an orphan stunting her growth

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Spiritus Nox posted:

It would weird me out less if the we didn't go from the first half of the episode kind of cinematically making a point of how uncomfortable and painful the princess found being paraded out in front of suitors at ten was to the second half basically going "but this particular arranged marriage is totally fine, they actually love each other just fine" tbh

I don't think it was portrayed as totally fine. The princess was shown to be pretty traumatized by the whole process and separation from her caretaker, and I think there were zero actual romantic gestures from the prince, who just as likely was trying to cheer up a girl stuck in a lovely situation. Violet didn't indicate how she felt about the marriage, only that she was happy to bring the princess some peace.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Oh man this show show is beyond gorgeous but um

*deep breath*

YOU HAVE CREATED A FANTASY WORLD. NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO ABIDE BY THE GROSSEST TRADITIONS OF HISTORICAL PATRIARCHIES.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Not Keyser Soze posted:

*deep breath*

YOU HAVE CREATED A FANTASY WORLD. NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO ABIDE BY THE GROSSEST TRADITIONS OF HISTORICAL PATRIARCHIES.

I'm pretty sure they want to do that in order to create a sense of a world like ours without necessarily being our world.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Not Keyser Soze posted:

*deep breath*

I don't think this is a "fantasy" setting so much as an alternate history.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I don't think this is a "fantasy" setting so much as an alternate history.

I didn't recognize the map last episode.
The Leiden in the series also has nothing to do with the real world Leiden somebody mentioned earlier in the thread. Leiden as used in the series means suffering and the country is called Leidenschaftlich, which means passionate.

The countries last time are also called Thrush and Wing when translated from German.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 14, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The setting reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles - a romanticised early 20th century Europe.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ah, yes, the alternate history where WWI ended differently, high grade mechanical prosthetics are common, and yakisoba is an international delicacy

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

yakisoba is an international delicacy

It isn't??

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe they're using a broad series of aesthetic decisions to convey a general sense of place and culture without having to commit to a specific real-world one

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Not Keyser Soze posted:

*deep breath*

No, nobody is forcing them. But they chose to because it makes for an interesting story? It's certainly more interesting than anything going on with Violet.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No, nobody is forcing them. But they chose to because it makes for an interesting story? It's certainly more interesting than anything going on with Violet.

I would argue that there is nothing in that plot that couldn't be told about a 24yr old prince and a 17yr old princess with the same dramatic effect and drastically less creepiness.

I will agree, though, that it made for a more interesting plot than the show's usual formula of "Killbot screws everything up. Everyone gives her way more leniency than she's earned."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I would argue that there is nothing in that plot that couldn't be told about a 24yr old prince and a 17yr old princess with the same dramatic effect and drastically less creepiness.

I will agree, though, that it made for a more interesting plot than the show's usual formula of "Killbot screws everything up. Everyone gives her way more leniency than she's earned."

Warbot in Accounting as a cute girl.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I enjoyed the latest episode. Violet is gradually starting to make sense of her feelings and learnt to not answer literally everything with 'I was trained like this by the military' (like when asked why she's not tired out after working all day). It was neat seeing some of the other girls from the doll class too. I'm a bit weirded out that nothing came of the grouchy captain from the end of the previous episode, it seemed that would have led into something.

At least if she never understands emotions she'll make a great transcriptionist!

Agreed that the age thing is a bit weird and an unfortunate trope. Maybe she means it was 14 years since she got put in the military?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Think of all the loaves of bread that had to be destroyed for our viewing pleasure, Kyoto Animation you monsters!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The main draw of the anime is the visuals, but what was so great about the light novel that it won awards and got such a fast adaption?

Cause so far the characters seem pretty uninspiring and the worldbuilding is a mess. Smatterings of technology mixed from all different ages.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its been basically 99% anime original so far

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked the feel of this episode. The observatory was cool and the change to transcribing old manuscripts was interesting.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
ok but why didn't we get to see her gently caress up those guys on the pier at the end of episode 5 with her mechanical arms though

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Well it's official. This show has a that scene. :suspense:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The latest episode was the first one that I felt like Violet's characterization didn't work against the show. She worked as an effective foil against the "complexity" of her client's emotions and wasn't completely oblivious how humans work while doing so.

Ending was good too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, episode 7 was a knockout right when I thought the show really needed one. Feels like we're about to shake the status quo up a bit too.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A drat fine episode. Now I've got to go find out who's been cutting onions here...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

A drat fine episode. Now I've got to go find out who's been cutting onions here...

It's the animators that destroyed all the bread for last ep and all the eggs for this one, they are making some sort of meal

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hmm--pacing feels as bit off like we're rushing a lot of chapter all at once.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Hmm--pacing feels as bit off like we're rushing a lot of chapter all at once.

Tough to say as so much of the show has had nothing at all to do with the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I thought the script was still a bit stiff here and there, but now we're really getting somewhere with the story.

• Locked thread