Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

First episode was gorgeous, but the writing felt stiff as all hell to me. Felt like the only time anyone broke their melancholy expression was for an awkward "let me just change right here" joke. Hope the show lets itself breathe a little more as we go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sure Hyperdimension Neptunia'll get there soon enough

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's a little weird that they're called Dolls, actually, I wonder if we'll get more into why they're called that. Hearing about the job name before the show came out had me thinking that Violet was a robot - I only realized otherwise when that flashback showed Violet ripping her arms off trying to save Guilbert.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've actually seen a KyoAni show with a first episode I've straight-up loved, despite really loving most of their shows. I didn't hate Maidragon's premiere, but it definitely didn't showcase many of the show's real strengths. I barely remember Eupho's or K-On's first episodes (2nd seasons don't count), Haruhi's was interesting but not like crazy good IMO, Hyouka's deliberately a slow burn...

I guess maybe Nichijou or Amaburi, but those are both full-on comedies, kind of hard to compare to something like this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think you want Darling in the FranXXX

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. I wish the writing would frame Violet's trauma/numbness in less consistently 'beep-boop I am a robot'-y terms, but I feel like the way the rest of the cast is responding to her basically makes sense.

I liked the latest episode more than the first. It's still not grabbing me super hard and there's no one character I've really latched onto like in a lot of other KyoAni shows yet, but I'm warming to the cast and the production values are simply faultless.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My gut says Violet's more of an Archer or maybe Ruler than a Saber, personally.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dias posted:

Me too. Also lol at "absolutely exhausting way Gilbert's death confession has been delayed" considering it's been two episodes my man and also let's be honest, Violet knows. She doesn't know she knows, but she knows.

Yeah, like

The reveal pretty clearly isn't the point here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, this episode really started to correct my problems with not really being able to connect to the show. First time the show's really delivered on its pitch of being a series of gorgeously rendered, mostly-stand alone short stories that help Violet work through her own feelings. Much more on board now than I was before.

I will say I hope not too many of these episodic characters are one and done. Luculia's really nice, it'd be a shame if this is all we see of her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Netflix almost certainly isn't the reason Evergarden is a Prestige Animation - more likely Netflix made a point of securing exclusive rights to it precisely because Evergarden was already a prestige piece.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For the sake of avoiding spoilers I'm not going to get into details, but going off of this guy's blog, almost everything we've seen of the show outside the core characters and basic premise so far has been anime-original, which I thought was rather interesting. I'll be curious to see how long we stay so far removed from the specific text of the original novel.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

berserk has had a heavy lasting creative influence to this day. the newest tales game took a visible amount of influence from it for its setting

Also :darksouls:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I thought Violet would've been at least 16 or more. Not 14.

Different art styles be damned, I can't make myself believe that the person they keep drawing here is younger than Yui Hirasawa.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The age of 14 is by her own estimates so it could likely vary upwards by a year or more. What it really is :iiam:

The age gap thing is a bit gross, but taken in context with the setting and the historical period it's emulating, it's not all that out of place.

It would weird me out less if the we didn't go from the first half of the episode kind of cinematically making a point of how uncomfortable and painful the princess found being paraded out in front of suitors at ten was to the second half basically going "but this particular arranged marriage is totally fine, they actually love each other just fine" tbh

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe they're using a broad series of aesthetic decisions to convey a general sense of place and culture without having to commit to a specific real-world one

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, episode 7 was a knockout right when I thought the show really needed one. Feels like we're about to shake the status quo up a bit too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strong backstory episode. In spite of myself I actually found myself quite liking Gilbert's and Violet's dynamic in the flashback. I was worried that they would play it romantically, and Violet probably indeed felt that way about him, but Gil himself came across as a rather compelling "self-loathing and well-meaning but fundamentally lovely parent in a bad situation" sort of character.

He'd drat well better actually be dead though, story's making me nervous with its careful observation that they never found the body.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Given that she doesn't even seem to know how to speak until Gilbert teaches her, I'd be surprised if the army hasn't had her almost since infancy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, I'd honestly be happy if they just leave it at "Her family got blown the gently caress up when she was super young and she had to do some loving poo poo to survive as long as she did." That's really about as grounded and serious an explanation as you could really get, anything more flamboyant would feel a little tonally out of step with what we're going for with the rest of the show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Another strong episode, show's really gone on a nice run the last few weeks IMO

Although I'm not at all sure where the hell we go from here? The story so far's felt like Violet's journey towards coming to terms with the major's death and her own worth as person, and that promise basically feels fulfilled right here, and yet IIRC we've still got 4 episodes and an OVA to go.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

I felt like it was the last episode as well and also had a mysterious phantom onion nearby (someone should look into that) but looking back on it I suspect the thing with the anti-peace league attacking that town is probably going to lead to something. Maybe the army tries to recruit her again and she gets to finally move past being a weapon of war and tell them to gently caress off.

Could also be there being a sequence where Violet has to write a letter that will stave off a war. It'd be pretty cheesy but that's been the show's MO so far, for good and ill.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, Violet was a tiny ~12 year old at the time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This week was fairly predictable, but so well-executed that it really didn't matter. Really provided a great showcase of Violet's growth on top of being a pretty good and magnificently executed self-contained story. I kinda hope the rest of the show is just this kind of poo poo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oof. Show's settled into a nice rhythm playing on my heartstrings like this. Didn't gently caress me up quite as much as last week, but that's not saying much. And moreso than any that came before, this felt like a job Violet personally needed to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd bet a fair bit that the new content'll be a movie rather than a full new season - KyoAni's been making movies with a lot of their IPs lately. This particular story'll probably benefit from movie-style pacing, too.

• Locked thread