Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

I wish all this animation talent was spent on a series I actually cared out.

Like people say Berserk can't be done hand-drawn because the pencil mileage is insane, but they're spending all this pencil mileage on this dang show.

see, if Netflix hands an actual good studio a shitzillion dollars to do a new Berserk anime, we'll probably get Violet Evergarden-level results, but... in the current situation, there's not really any reason for the studio doing Berserk to put that much effort in.

like, Berserk is one of the most popular manga in the West, but in Japan from what I'm aware it's a niche within a niche within another niche. it's directly anathema to almost every trend of modern anime and manga, it's an insanely long serialized story that started before a good chunk of the Japanese seinen manga audience was even born, its Western popularity gives it the stigma of being an "international" or "subculture" series, and its content makes it basically impossible to commercialize heavily without horrible backlash. from the perspective of Japanese producers, there's really not any reason to put a lot of money or effort into a Berserk series, because it's guaranteed to do lukewarm-at-best at home and the international audience is basically a black box in terms of what they like and don't like. Violet Evergarden, meanwhile, is Netflix going to a super renowned studio, handing them a whole shitload of money, and going "hey do whatever you want and we'll air it," basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(I absolutely want an ultra-pretty berk anim too, but it is literally never going to happen until maybe like the series' 50th anniversary or something)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Motto posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that Berserk is pretty drat popular? Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you have to reach a pretty high stature for publications to deal with long hiatuses like Togashi and Miura rather than just cutting you.

e:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

It's right in the 30-50 million range with other lastingly popular stuff.

Is that a worldwide figure, though, or within Japan? The impression I got was that Berserk was just kind of middlingly popular at best in Japan, but insanely popular in the rest of the world to the point where it made up for it. Like, here in the US, Berserk is one of the only series I've seen (outside of big 3 shonen, Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan and SAO) that's really managed to penetrate past anime fandom and get popular with normies, and loving flies off the shelves at brick and mortar stores that stock it (I'm less sure about online stores but I know my local Barnes & Noble literally can't keep Berserk volumes in stock).

e: yeah, that list uses worldwide figures. 30-50mil worldwide is pretty drat solid, but also doesn't really disprove what I'm saying- I'm pretty sure a lot of that number comes from the US, Latin America and Europe.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 26, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, to get distribution rights for something, you generally have to throw a huge-rear end chunk of money at the Japanese copyright owners (which in this case would be KyoAni as far as I know), so even if it's not quite the same situation as, say, Devilman Crybaby it's not exactly unreasonable to say that this series is being partly funded by netflix (I stand corrected on it being wholly funded by them however)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i love that anime's been so relatively good for a while that when a loving ridiculous trope like that pops up again it's actually jarring to everybody

• Locked thread