Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can kind of see why they cast Stallone in the 90s movie because when he's wearing the helmet he is the spitting image of the comic (although you can tell that his boots have massive lifts in them.) Too bad that his acting sucks and the writing is bad. Also really weird that they made the Rico and Dredd clone brothers secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

Mega-City One may be a fascistic dystopia, but at least it made its disease testing kits free to all...

If Dredd says that he's gonna deliver medicine you better believe he's gonna deliver the hell out of that medicine:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Proudly supporting the Lowtax Spine Fund 2018-19

I had the Killdozer toy as a kid. It rocked.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I feel like the Dredd mellow in part comes from them realizing the comic has legs so they needed to dial him back down from black and white tyrant to shades of grey do-gooder.

The other part is that slamming the Case Files really remove you from how much time actually passed in the world. The Democracy -> Necropolis period was like five years real time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

muscles like this! posted:

I can kind of see why they cast Stallone in the 90s movie because when he's wearing the helmet he is the spitting image of the comic (although you can tell that his boots have massive lifts in them.) Too bad that his acting sucks and the writing is bad. Also really weird that they made the Rico and Dredd clone brothers secret.
It's kinda weird. The Stalone movie had perfect setting tone but a bad Dredd, whereas the Urban movie had a different setting tone but perfect Dredd.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The production design is really well done, especially Mean Machine (although slight quibble is that they have him missing his left arm which, you know, he shouldn't be.) Although a negative to the production design is that they're cowards who quickly get everyone out of the comic book outfits and instead have everyone dress in a generic looking uniform where nobody wears a helmet for the rest of the movie. And, again, the writing just sucks. They try to give Dredd a catchphrase and Rob Schneider's character is completely extraneous to anything that is happening. He exists to quip and for Dredd to make disgusted faces at.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They try to give Dredd a catchphrase

er... Judge Dredd has a catch phrase. I don't recall the Stallone movie using anything other than "I am the law!" which Dredd had been throwing around since the 1970's.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

er... Judge Dredd has a catch phrase. I don't recall the Stallone movie using anything other than "I am the law!" which Dredd had been throwing around since the 1970's.

It was "I knew you'd say that"
P weak.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The production design is really well done, especially Mean Machine (although slight quibble is that they have him missing his left arm which, you know, he shouldn't be.)

Why not? Dredd shot it off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Because in the movie they haven't met before.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

For anyone who somehow doesn't have it already, Case Files Vol.5 is currently free digitally.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone wasn't aware, vol 5 is the return of Judge Death, Block War and the Apocalypse War.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

In case anyone wasn't aware, vol 5 is the return of Judge Death, Block War and the Apocalypse War.

How apt.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Id say were more in Necropolis right now with the government as the Dark Judges.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Fun Shoe

We could do with a bit more Bishop Desmond Snodgrass

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

I had a question about the reading order for Judge Dredd stories that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are the stories found in the Megazine independent from the stories in 2000AD? If not, what would be the best way to read things? Since the Megazine is monthly to 2000AD's weekly, should I read 4 issues of 200AD, then that month's Megazine? Thank for your assistance.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bertilak posted:

I had a question about the reading order for Judge Dredd stories that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are the stories found in the Megazine independent from the stories in 2000AD? If not, what would be the best way to read things? Since the Megazine is monthly to 2000AD's weekly, should I read 4 issues of 200AD, then that month's Megazine? Thank for your assistance.

Going from memory on how they collected, Megazine original stories are "in continuity" but without heavy overlap. I'm thinking of one arc where events in a Megazine story had consequences in a weekly story and these were separated by roughly six months. The "best" solution would be to complete an arc in one, then read the other to catch up to that point and go past it a ways. Don't worry too much about the fine details and just flip when you feel you're at a good point to.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

They smelled of pubs, and Wormwood Scrubs, and too many right-wing meetings.

So I twatted them with a magic yo-yo. Because, hell, why not?

Judgement Day was the first time a storyline ran in both the prog and the Meg simultaneously, and it wasn't overly well received because readers had to buy both, in the right order, or have missing or scrambled episodes. Later crossovers like Wilderlands and Doomsday split their story arcs so that Dredd's would appear in the main prog, and other characters' in the Meg.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Judgement Day was the first time a storyline ran in both the prog and the Meg simultaneously, and it wasn't overly well received because readers had to buy both, in the right order, or have missing or scrambled episodes. Later crossovers like Wilderlands and Doomsday split their story arcs so that Dredd's would appear in the main prog, and other characters' in the Meg.

Judgement Day happened because IPC thought they could get 2000AD readers to try six issues of JDM because most readers like Dredd and the Megazine is just more Dredd. The problem was that a lot of the hardcore Dredd fans had quit reading 2000AD because they weren't interested in the rest of the content. Worse, the first part of the story in the Megazine was part 3 - so they'd have to hunt for back issues to catch up - and the last part of the story was also in 2000 AD.

I also don't think it helped that the 2000AD sections were illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra while the Megazine sections had truly awful art by Dean Ormston.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Thank you all very much for the information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 35 has been postponed to November.

«3 »