Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

Is this just the 2000ad thread now?

The future shock in this week's prog was pretty dece. It feels real easy to roll your eyes at "oh, it's an Ender's Game" to start but going in on that combined with the drudgery of modern work like "oh, gotta pop out for a smoke break between sessions of killing these foreigners" feels like a good bit of commentary on drone warfare, before we get to the nice end twist that energy beings would be able to just follow whatever energy you're using to remotely control your killbots back and fry your brain

I think Dredd would appreciate we're talking about 2000AD in here. Keeping us out of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/2000AD/status/1468224023368814593

...huh

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Stallone Dredd actually had his own (short-lived) comic in 1995, Lawman Of The Future. IIRC it went back to the 1977 one-shot approach of "wacky future crimes dealt with by humourless by-the-book supercop" (Wagner himself contributed), but drastically toned down the violence. Which was a sign of changing times; LOTF was aimed at 11-year-olds yet had everything santised, whereas 2000AD started out aimed at kids of 8-10 who really wanted to see the violence of Death Race or Rollerball or Dirty Harry but in those pre-VHS days had zero chance of getting into a cinema to do so - and instead got to see it on paper.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
gonna stick my head of trenches and state that 95 Dredd was actually kind of ok

could have been better with a 100% reduction of Rob Schneider

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The sequence with Angel family, and Mean in particular, was fantastic.

The rest, eh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

New Case Files is out this week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

moths posted:

The sequence with Angel family, and Mean in particular, was fantastic.

The rest, eh.

It was kind of funny how they got those characters and the ABC Warrior page perfect but absolutely nothing else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

It was kind of funny how they got those characters and the ABC Warrior page perfect but absolutely nothing else.

Nah, MC1 looks great in the Stallone movie. So does most of it, honestly; people just remember the Judge uniform because it was so bad.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The two Dredd movies between them are like that Star Trek episode where the transporter split Kirk into two incomplete personalities: you need both halves to make the whole original. 1995 got the look right, while 2012 got the feel. (2012's "Jo'burg to the max" future was the hardest thing for me to adjust to, even though it's probably more 'realistic' than the 1970s-born image of MC1 being massive futuristic skyscrapers covering the entire Eastern Seaboard. Weirdly, one thing 1995 got right in hindsight was downsizing the city; 100 million people crammed into NYC works better in terms of horrible overpopulation than 800 million stretching all the way from Canada to Florida as far inland as the Great Lakes. I worked out that's the same population density as, er, Barbados.)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

On the vague subject of Dredd elseworlds, I'm going to throw out a hard recommend for Megatropolis. It's a noir reimagining of Mega-City One as a retro-SF "City of the Future" - think Blade Runner meets Metropolis. There's one or two too many attempts to crowbar in a major character from the original strips, but that's really the only weakness. I'm definitely looking forward to future volumes.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
US-based 2000ad fan here. Decided to go down the rabbit hole with Complete Case Files Vol. 01. That blossomed into a full on love for 2000ad. Once I started reading Dredd, I quickly realized how little I actually cared about superhero comics. Something about the serialized format and sci-fi focus really clicked for me. UK comics rule pretty hard! Even love the old action strips.

Tried to make a list of some major 2000ad stuff that I've read. This doesn't even really begin to scratch the surface.
- Judge Dredd
- Countless Dreddverse comics
- Strontium Dog (excluding The Son)
- Nikolai Dante
- Ro-Busters/ABC Warriors (through the Volgan War)
- Nemesis the Warlock
- Caballistics Inc

My 2000ad reading list is still miles long but it's impossible for me to stop adding. Happy to provide recommendations on more obscure and/or contemporary material!

Currently working on finishing up ABC Warriors, and catching up on the last year or so of progs. Might start diving into Slaine or

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jedit posted:

On the vague subject of Dredd elseworlds, I'm going to throw out a hard recommend for Megatropolis. It's a noir reimagining of Mega-City One as a retro-SF "City of the Future" - think Blade Runner meets Metropolis. There's one or two too many attempts to crowbar in a major character from the original strips, but that's really the only weakness. I'm definitely looking forward to future volumes.

Right on, I'll add that to the ol' list. I hadn't checked that out with so much main Dredd to read, but that looks really cool.

Decline posted:

US-based 2000ad fan here. Decided to go down the rabbit hole with Complete Case Files Vol. 01. That blossomed into a full on love for 2000ad. Once I started reading Dredd, I quickly realized how little I actually cared about superhero comics. Something about the serialized format and sci-fi focus really clicked for me. UK comics rule pretty hard! Even love the old action strips.

Tried to make a list of some major 2000ad stuff that I've read. This doesn't even really begin to scratch the surface.
- Judge Dredd
- Countless Dreddverse comics
- Strontium Dog (excluding The Son)
- Nikolai Dante
- Ro-Busters/ABC Warriors (through the Volgan War)
- Nemesis the Warlock
- Caballistics Inc

My 2000ad reading list is still miles long but it's impossible for me to stop adding. Happy to provide recommendations on more obscure and/or contemporary material!

Currently working on finishing up ABC Warriors, and catching up on the last year or so of progs. Might start diving into Slaine or

That rules, kudos! There is such an endless amount of cool 2000AD stuff to check out. I've got books I bought years ago I haven't gotten to yet, Slaine is one of those, Nikolai Dante, Kingdom, you name it. Zombo, Shakara, Brink, just countless cool looking titles to check out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A post in another thread just reminded me that it's canonical (written by Wagner, drawn by Ezquerra) that Dredd killed the actual, real, genuine Count Dracula.

Which made me wonder how long before he links to the St Elsewhere kid-with-a-snowglobe Expanded Universe.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Payndz posted:

A post in another thread just reminded me that it's canonical (written by Wagner, drawn by Ezquerra) that Dredd killed the actual, real, genuine Count Dracula.

Which made me wonder how long before he links to the St Elsewhere kid-with-a-snowglobe Expanded Universe.

The events of at least the first Predator film also canonically happened in dredd afaik, due to dredd handles crossovers.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules hard, they really have done just about everything. I gotta read this Dracula tale (Costa Del Blood), I've missed some of those annuals and whatnot. Looks like some sweet stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Disproportionation posted:

The events of at least the first Predator film also canonically happened in dredd afaik, due to dredd handles crossovers.

Dredd has also faced both Aliens and Terminators, so he's got the entire Fox big three in his universe. It wasn't by dimension hopping either, unlike his encounters with Batman.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dredd recent crossed over with itself, there is nothing the franchise hasn't touched in some way. It rules.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Azubah posted:

Dredd recent crossed over with itself, there is nothing the franchise hasn't touched in some way. It rules.

Dredd is also a prequel to Nemesis the Warlock.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alhazred posted:

Dredd is also a prequel to Nemesis the Warlock.
Early Dredd was explicitly in the same timeline as Ro-Busters following 2000AD's merger with Starlord, which meant it was also in the same universe as ABC Warriors, Nemesis, Invasion and Flesh (all Pat Mills joints). Later on this got quietly retconned away as Mills' Volgan War (expanded on in later ABCs and Savage) became impossible to reconcile with the Dreddverse WW3, despite Hammerstein turning up in a Dredd story after his lookalike appeared in the Stallone movie.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 31, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus there's the Strontium Dog connections. Kreelman was referenced in a recent-ish Carroll written Judge Dredd story I saw. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/does-todays-megazine-make-strontium-dog-the-definitive-future-of-judge-dredd-spoilers/

Plus those great crossovers they've had.

Jedit posted:

Dredd has also faced both Aliens and Terminators, so he's got the entire Fox big three in his universe. It wasn't by dimension hopping either, unlike his encounters with Batman.

When did Terminators happen? He's fought a lot of legally distinct robots at least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus there's the Strontium Dog connections. Kreelman was referenced in a recent-ish Carroll written Judge Dredd story I saw. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/does-todays-megazine-make-strontium-dog-the-definitive-future-of-judge-dredd-spoilers/

Strontium Dog has been the definitive future of Dredd for 30 years. It's just that the Dredd timeline (122 years in the future) is starting to catch up with the Strontium Dog timeline (200 years in the future). Wagner and Grant never thought this could possibly happen when they were writing it, but of course Strontium Dog is defined by the Great Nuclear War of 2150 which occurs 30 years before the main storyline.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oh yeah, I'm definitely cool with them being loose with stuff like that. Can't have Dredd ending in five years or so. It would be wild if they did still incorporate that 2150 thing in Dredd somehow though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Oh yeah, I'm definitely cool with them being loose with stuff like that. Can't have Dredd ending in five years or so. It would be wild if they did still incorporate that 2150 thing in Dredd somehow though.

It wouldn't be too hard. We don't ever see effects of the GNW outside of Britain, and the only major difference is that the Judge system doesn't exist in 2150. Mega-City 1 has its nuclear defence grid, meaning that it could be spared most if not all of the catastrophe while the European megacities took the brunt of it (assuming it wasn't just a regional conflict or even a UK civil war).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Has John Wagner ever talked about this stuff, Dredd's present lining up with Strontium Dog's timeline? I always figured he'd more just want to tell the best story for each of them, and probably wouldn't worry about this kind of detail. But I'd be game for anything he wants to write.

I still wish they'd let him write that "last Dredd story" he had pitched before, like his The Dark Knight Returns. That would be cool.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Heavy Metal posted:

There have been pre-cog hints dropped in a few stories about a nuclear conflict between MC1 and Brit-Cit in the not-so-far future, which might be it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that sounds cool.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Payndz posted:

There have been pre-cog hints dropped in a few stories about a nuclear conflict between MC1 and Brit-Cit in the not-so-far future, which might be it.
Quoting myself is probably very bad form, but I found one of the references (I misremembered some details), from Al Ewing's 'The Americans' all the way back in 2009. The "time traveller" is almost certainly Johnny Alpha...

Fake edit: there's meant to be an image, but for some reason it's not appearing, dammit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I know the thrill casts are a thing but is there any 2000ad podcasts like STCTP by any chance?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
General 2000AD rather than specifically Dredd (although it applies), but I picked up the first two volumes of Rogue Trooper from the 2000AD Ultimate Collection and it reminded me how great Colin Wilson's art is. His near-future hardware is on a par with the likes of Syd Mead, Shirow or Moebius, and there's a kinetic brutality to his action sequences that not many other 2000AD artists match. He did some fantastic work on Dredd too - I think 'Diary of a Mad Citizen' was in the first prog I ever bought, which made for a great introduction to the crazy violence of MC1.

One funny thing though; there's a frame in 'Diary' that's a straight swipe from a late 60s Blueberry story by Moebius (Wilson was a huge fan whose art style is heavily influenced by him), and Wilson later became Moebius's protégé and ended up drawing... Blueberry!

Edit to add image:

Look at all the grungy sci-fi detail in the exterior shot. Wilson's MC1 looks decayed, a century of stuff being patched on top of other, broken stuff. (It's cyberpunk before the term even existed; this story was published a full year before Blade Runner was released in the UK.) The atmosphere is a world apart from Ezquerra's Gaudi-esque starscrapers or McMahon's vaguely penis-shaped mass-produced city blocks. And check out the careful positioning of the "UURRGH!" to cover the bloody, explosive exit wound - you can bet Wilson drew it in detail.

"I'm coming to get you just as soon as I've had breakfast!" has to be a Wagner line (TB Grover is a Wagner/Grant pseudonym) - it's a perfect bit of understated black comedy showing just how pathetic Kweeg really is.

Oh yeah, here's the swipe. I think Wilson's a great artist, but oof...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 7, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! I was looking into Blueberry recently too, intending to read some of that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Heavy Metal posted:

Very cool! I was looking into Blueberry recently too, intending to read some of that.
I was looking for Blueberry volumes on UK eBay and they were all stupid prices, then I had a brainwave and ordered a used copy from Amazon France for about a quarter as much, even with postage.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm reading the complete case files and I've just come to the part where Dutch's descendant (who doesn't like guns) are trying to get the predator to peacefully surrender to the Justice Department.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Alan Grant (Dredd, Anderson, Strontium Dog, Robo-Hunter, Ace Trucking, plus a load of DC stuff including Batman) just died. :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Alan Grant (Dredd, Anderson, Strontium Dog, Robo-Hunter, Ace Trucking, plus a load of DC stuff including Batman) just died. :smith:

Oh hell, that's sad. He must have been north of 70 though. Wagner and Mills both are, as well.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Maybe not as big name as some but he was a bona fide legend of the UK comics scene, and I liked his and Norm Breyfogle‘s partnership on Batman over most others. Just awful, awful news.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You can get a hell of a lot of Alan Grant's work for cheap in this humble bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-perps-punks-partners-2000ad-2022-books

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, I hate to be resurrecting the thread only with news that Ian Gibson passed away last month aged 76. So I'll add that Case Files 43 is out and we've finally reached Origins, the story that set Dredd on its current trajectory (and the last new Dredd that I read, oddly). The first half is in CF43 along with Cadet, the story that introduced America Beeny. CF44 will wrap it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always sad to hear about these legends passing away, heroes. I've been meaning to read Halo Jones that Gibson did too.

It is wild that the Case Files have gotten to the point that they're covering trades I already have of the more modern stuff. Ones I've got like Origins, Total War, Mandroid, Cadet is in the America book naturally, etc. Not that I mind, but those years sure fly by. Those were the trades I was getting when I got into Dredd. Not too long until they hit those Tour of Duty books.

Granted the Case Files are nearly 20 years behind. But so am I, so it works out. I've got those in the bookcase for sure.

So much cool stuff to check out.