Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^burtle posted:

Gonna hop on this since the other Dredd thread is closed.

Where do the Anderson, Psi Files fit in for the reading order of the Dredd Complete Case files? I saw somewhere say Psi Files 1 fits in after Complete Case 7, but I'm happy to trust a BSSer.

Anywhere you like within reason, so long as you read Psi-Files 1 after The Apocalypse War. Although I would probably leave Psi-Files 2 and 3 until you reach 2112 in Case Files time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

The original Dredd thredd's gone to archives, so I just wanted to say here what an unexpected pleasure the 'Served Cold' volume of the Mega Collection was. I hadn't really kept track of Al Ewing's stories, but there are some really good ones here - and Dredd's response to a villain who he first encountered 40-odd years earlier in Paris, who has him at gunpoint and says "I've been watching you for decades. What could you possibly do that would surprise me now?" is one of the best "no, gently caress you" comebacks the strip's ever done.

The downside with the Mega Collection is that short of someone doing a spreadsheet, the chronology is utterly hosed up...

It's worse than I imagined. I knew it was divided by sub-themes, but the stories aren't even in chronological order within the sub-themes.

Must try and find a copy of volume 68, though, so far as I know it's the only reprint of Helltrekkers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Considering it's been running for 40 years, Dredd's had a surprisingly small number of writers (on the main strip in 2000AD, anyway). Wagner and Grant used to use various pseudonyms so that it didn't look like two people were writing most of each issue - eg, John Howard and TB Grover. Apart from the dark times in the 90s, Wagner has written the majority of the strip for four decades.

I wouldn't exactly call them "dark times". Wagner wanted to move away from Dredd and let someone else carry on with it. He just didn't find the right people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My issue is less a quality thing and more that you will get bogged down in everything feeling samey for a while, it's easier to do those early strips pre Cursed Earth in a couple of chunks that you mix in with other stuff

Also I don't think Case files collects the dead man which is bullshit

It doesn't, because it isn't a Judge Dredd story. You can pick it up as a separate volume though (and should).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It literally stars Dredd himself and is an important part of making Necropolis work because otherwise you have him leaving and being replaced by Kraken, and then suddenly he's some gross high plains drifter who shows up halfway through Necropolis with no explanation for how he knows shits popping off

It should be included

The Dead Man stars Dredd, but it is not a Judge Dredd story because it wasn't published under the masthead. The Case Files are a collection of stories published under the regular masthead, so The Dead Man couldn't be included no matter how much sense it makes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Not really; more a mash-up of AW, Necropolis and Young Death, with elements of The Judge Child (Murd) and crossing over with another strip (Strontium Dog) for no reason other than it can. The villain is just a poo poo version of Sidney D'eath with an even more ridiculous name, and the story kills off a ton of the supporting cast to little effect. It moves at a good clip and it gives Dredd and Johnny Alpha some decent "aren't we badass" moments, but there's nothing original in it at all.

Sabbat the Necromagus is actually Walter the Softie from the Beano, which joke is worth the price of admission.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Ha! I did notice that the bully he killed and zombified was wearing a red and black striped jumper, but never made the connection...

The bully is also called Big Den. It's not exactly subtle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Liking Funko Pops. Forty years, creep!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's just been announced that Dredd co-creator Carlos Ezquerra has passed away aged 70. I'm not able to imagine a world without him in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just read Final Judgement, the movie Dredd version of the Dark Judges. Fascinatingly different.

Meanwhile, IDW have gone straight for the throat in Toxic by having Dredd go face to face with Trump.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sad news: Ron Smith, who illustrated many Dredd stories between 1979 and 1994 and the complete run of the Daily Star strips, passed away on 10th January aged 94.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

biglads posted:

Only just picked this up but that's sad news. He did some amazing artwork.

I'm on a full re-read of the Case Files and I just got to a volume where about half of it was illustrated by Ezquerra, Smith, Steve Dillon and John Hicklenton. Man, that was depressing.

Currently on CF19, so I'm about to run out of Smith. He was as good as ever up to the end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Ron Smith was one of the underrated classic Dredd artists: nobody drew large-scale chaos and collateral damage like him. He also drew the citizens of MC1 at their grotesque finest. RIP. :smith:

That's Brett Ewins, Steve Dillon, Carlos Ezquerra and now Ron Smith gone...

It's been 42 years, if you stop to think it isn't surprising that the first generation of 2000AD are all gone or retired. Looking back at CF1 all six artists are no longer working - Ezquerra was the last still in the business. Now he, John Cooper and Massimo Belardinelli are dead, while Mike McMahon, Ian Gibson and Brian Bolland stopped publishing six or seven years ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

When Wagner came back from his 90s hiatus, he all but ignored everything the new guard had done if he didn't like it. Bad guys blew up the Statue of Judgement? Nope!

And he's still the Dredd writer even after all these years. If he changes something in the strip, it matters. poo poo, he's just started the death clock for Hershey after having her quit as Chief Judge, and she's been a mainstay since The Judge Child in 1980!

Wagner has said that he probably won't see the end of Dredd in his lifetime since the storyline where Dredd was forced to undertake rejuvenation treatment. But he has said he wants to write the script for the final story and will it to Rebellion, so it's possible that he'll break Lee Falk's record of writing the same character for 65 years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 33 came out last week, if anyone missed it. We're now only 18 years behind, woo!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^burtle posted:

I think that is one thing that gets lost in chowing down on these Case Files is how much time in reality passed between stories. I'm sure when Dredd took the long walk pre-Necropolis it was akin to Superman eating it that first time but it is hard to feel those stakes when you know there are 40 more volumes after it.

I was reading 2000AD weekly when Dredd took the hike. I honestly thought they were going to replace the original with Kraken, and I wish they'd kept that up for a couple of years at least. Kraken never got the chance to try hard enough that his eventual failure meant anything - certainly not as much as it could have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

11, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I had the Killdozer toy as a kid. It rocked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The production design is really well done, especially Mean Machine (although slight quibble is that they have him missing his left arm which, you know, he shouldn't be.)

Why not? Dredd shot it off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

In case anyone wasn't aware, vol 5 is the return of Judge Death, Block War and the Apocalypse War.

How apt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Judgement Day was the first time a storyline ran in both the prog and the Meg simultaneously, and it wasn't overly well received because readers had to buy both, in the right order, or have missing or scrambled episodes. Later crossovers like Wilderlands and Doomsday split their story arcs so that Dredd's would appear in the main prog, and other characters' in the Meg.

Judgement Day happened because IPC thought they could get 2000AD readers to try six issues of JDM because most readers like Dredd and the Megazine is just more Dredd. The problem was that a lot of the hardcore Dredd fans had quit reading 2000AD because they weren't interested in the rest of the content. Worse, the first part of the story in the Megazine was part 3 - so they'd have to hunt for back issues to catch up - and the last part of the story was also in 2000 AD.

I also don't think it helped that the 2000AD sections were illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra while the Megazine sections had truly awful art by Dean Ormston.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 35 has been postponed to November.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

New Case Files is out this week.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It was kind of funny how they got those characters and the ABC Warrior page perfect but absolutely nothing else.

Nah, MC1 looks great in the Stallone movie. So does most of it, honestly; people just remember the Judge uniform because it was so bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

On the vague subject of Dredd elseworlds, I'm going to throw out a hard recommend for Megatropolis. It's a noir reimagining of Mega-City One as a retro-SF "City of the Future" - think Blade Runner meets Metropolis. There's one or two too many attempts to crowbar in a major character from the original strips, but that's really the only weakness. I'm definitely looking forward to future volumes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Disproportionation posted:

The events of at least the first Predator film also canonically happened in dredd afaik, due to dredd handles crossovers.

Dredd has also faced both Aliens and Terminators, so he's got the entire Fox big three in his universe. It wasn't by dimension hopping either, unlike his encounters with Batman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus there's the Strontium Dog connections. Kreelman was referenced in a recent-ish Carroll written Judge Dredd story I saw. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/does-todays-megazine-make-strontium-dog-the-definitive-future-of-judge-dredd-spoilers/

Strontium Dog has been the definitive future of Dredd for 30 years. It's just that the Dredd timeline (122 years in the future) is starting to catch up with the Strontium Dog timeline (200 years in the future). Wagner and Grant never thought this could possibly happen when they were writing it, but of course Strontium Dog is defined by the Great Nuclear War of 2150 which occurs 30 years before the main storyline.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Oh yeah, I'm definitely cool with them being loose with stuff like that. Can't have Dredd ending in five years or so. It would be wild if they did still incorporate that 2150 thing in Dredd somehow though.

It wouldn't be too hard. We don't ever see effects of the GNW outside of Britain, and the only major difference is that the Judge system doesn't exist in 2150. Mega-City 1 has its nuclear defence grid, meaning that it could be spared most if not all of the catastrophe while the European megacities took the brunt of it (assuming it wasn't just a regional conflict or even a UK civil war).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Alan Grant (Dredd, Anderson, Strontium Dog, Robo-Hunter, Ace Trucking, plus a load of DC stuff including Batman) just died. :smith:

Oh hell, that's sad. He must have been north of 70 though. Wagner and Mills both are, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, I hate to be resurrecting the thread only with news that Ian Gibson passed away last month aged 76. So I'll add that Case Files 43 is out and we've finally reached Origins, the story that set Dredd on its current trajectory (and the last new Dredd that I read, oddly). The first half is in CF43 along with Cadet, the story that introduced America Beeny. CF44 will wrap it up.