Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.
Welcome to Ye Olde Detroit, the Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune for Goons in the new Life is Feudal MMO.

Now with more ditches!

The best description I’ve seen for this game is Wurm Online, combined with the combat mechanics of Mount & Blade: Warband. There are a lot of grindy, potentially brain-numbing activities that have been made bearable by 1) Goons figuring out how to effectively min-max all the things 2) The developers embracing simple macros that our talented scripters have churned out and made available to us common folk.

The game has surprisingly nice graphics, here’s the north gate out of Detroit into our entirely man-made Great Forest

The aptly named Autism Island, one man’s private getaway on a man-made island:

Dishonorable pvp (the only kind of pvp)

Goons nearly dying to otherwise harmless wildlife

All in all it’s a pretty game with a lot of gameplay potential.

Why get in now?
  1. The game has entered open beta and the developers have strongly hinted if not outright promised there will be no further wipes. So get logged in, get into the guild, get your skills to 90 and be ready to log in and shoot RPs and furries.
  2. The infrastructure is in place. You see Detroit. Most of the heavy lifting is done. We have a safe place for Goons established and all the support needed to make your first few days in Detroit successful days.
  3. You can be truly effective at pvp on Day 1. Follow our fool proof plan for rolling a character and be a true menace as a naked man with a crossbow right out the gate.

Resources:
  1. Discord guild server and help channels: https://discord.gg/TbJ3NTZ
  2. How to buy the game if you do not already own Life is Feudal: Your Own: https://play.lifeisfeudal.com/ (if you had Life is Feudal: Your Own) prior to November 17, 2017 you get a free character in the MMO if you register on their website and link your Steam Account.
  3. How to get the game running: https://lifeisfeudal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005650989-How-to-download-MMO-
  4. How to do things in game: https://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Life_is_Feudal_Wiki
  5. Official Forums: https://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/

So you’ve decided to be a bloody peasant:
  1. Buy the game or convert your Life is Feudal: Your Own steam game over to the MMO.
  2. Set up that character. The thing to remember with characters is that you get 400 points for combat and 400 points for crafting. The combat tree has 19 skills each with a 100 point cap, meaning you’d need 1900 points to cap it all. You are not going to be good at all the things.
  3. When rolling your character, choose Khoor (Azn). The gender generally doesn’t matter, though females actually have a small hitbox than males. If you dig a mine, you make a smaller hole that males have to crouch to maneuver through. This game has significant gender bias… towards the ladies.
  4. Place all your combat skills into Slinger (55 points). With this point spread you can pick up a light crossbow upon arrival and embark upon the lifestyle of a naked ambushing crossbowman. There are other builds, but this one is the best for low risk/high reward pvp. Should you want to consider another build, talk with our fighter mans in discord first.
  5. Place all your stats into Willpower. This is because willpower is considered the hardest stat to level in game. You can get strength or agility from almost any action in the game, so don’t worry about that.
  6. Place all your crafting points into Artisan. This is because it’s relatively easy to afk level Hunting or Nature’s Lore, but Artisan requires doing hard time digging up stumps or moving dirt.
  7. Spawn into game. You will appear on newbie island. It has some RP dipshit name but that’s not important. There are some tutorials there, but that’s not important either. Just look around until you spot the giant blue glowing penis shooting into the sky. Like any good goon game, your first mission is to get that dick. Inside the tower is a ferryman looking statue thing. Talk to him and choose the Abella option. Then pick the North American server (Buyan). It is very important that you make sure that you are going to the NA server (Buyan). If you go to the EU server you just wasted money, friend. If you paid 30 bucks for the game, you’ll have a ticket already as well as enough favor in the store (hit Esc to go to store) to purchase a 2nd ticket for an alt.
  8. Once you’ve landed on the mainland, hit “M” to bring up the map. Zoom in and out enough so that you can see the entire thing. You will want to get to Server 13:

9. You have a couple options to get there. First, you can type /suicide and hope you get lucky with the lottery to respawn nearby. Secondly, and my preferred route, is to hit NumLock to auto-walk, then CapsLock to auto-run. Keep an eye on your stamina bar, but otherwise chill to your preferred EDM or watch Dark on Netflix (poo poo is good) for that hour or so marathon across the land. Oh and get auth’d on discord and start talking to people so by the time your exhausted naked carcass arrives at Detroit you will be recognized and allowed in. Don’t try to get a guild invite until you arrive at Detroit. We have made many enemies, and it’s just overall more likely you’ll arrive here intact if you are unaffiliated.
  10. Once inside, bind to a house. If you die without binding to one of our fine establishments, you’ll get to make that walk all over again. This is a mistake you make once.

Things I wish every new member knew:
We are sincerely glad you have decided to play this game with us and we look forward to seeing you here. However, Goons being goons, we’re also going to fly off the handle and bitch to high heaven if you do the Blindingly Obvious Things Nobody Bothered to Tell You to Avoid Doing. So we’re going to go ahead and list them here. You may not know what these things are right now but you’ll know to keep an eye out for them when you get here.
  1. If you see a stack of trade carts, do not touch them, unstack them, or helpfully move them. Trade carts for us are essentially giant stationary chests. They are where they are for a reason, and don’t move them. We use horse carts for all our moving of stuff. Leave the trade carts where they lay.
  2. Food is found in the 3 lower crates inside the inner keep in front of the monument. Stuff as much of the fried salmon / fried codfish (2 ingredient foods) into your mouth as you want. Leave any food with 4 ingredients (or more) alone until you are ready to trigger your power hour. Your skills are effected by a food multiplier, essentially the average of the last 5 foods you’ve eaten. Before (and during) your power hour, you eat 5 of the 4 ingredient foods, start the power hour, and level up your skills very quickly. However, 4 ingredient food is a bit of a pain to make, so to make sure there’s enough for everyone, only use it for power hour time, otherwise use the 2 ingredient stuff.
  3. If you plan on placing a personal claim, don’t do it on the guild claim, or in the forest. If you are unsure of a location ask someone.
  4. You can cut down and use any tree EXCEPT: apple, mulberry, or any 100 quality tree. Always inspect the tree to double check.
  5. If you need help or have questions, do not hesitate to ask. There are plenty of extremely helpful people here. They are even more inclined to be helpful if you recognize the time they are taking to help you, and offer to help them back. We operate under the golden rule around here, don’t be the guy always taking.
  6. Do not run around punching, slicing, jabbing, hitting or injuring people in the base without confirming with them on voice comms that it is ok. “Can I shoot you in the face with an arrow” is a phrase I probably hear at least once a night. In many cases people have been training and may be at very low health in the base, and a stray shovel slap to the face (looking at you FruitNYogurtParfait) could prove fatal.
  7. If you haven’t bound to a house yet do so. If it says something like “no space” go to the next house.
  8. Gathering patches. You may notice patches of dirt or stone inside the inner keep. Some of them will say Quality 100. Some of them will say Quality 1, - the Quality 100 patches are for gathering flint stones, plant fiber, or sling ammo from. They are not for gathering herbs. Gathering herbs, wild plants, or anything not a flint stone or plant fiber lowers the quality of the soil. Do not do this. Use the quality 1 patches for gathering mushrooms (the fastest way to level Nature’s Lore). We need more herbalists. Just don’t do it on the fiber/flint patches.
  9. Do not stack materials. Each stack of materials has a quality from 1 to 100. Stacking materials means that the quality gets averaged. Stacking 20 100 quality plant fiber with 100 1 quality plant fiber results in 120 2 quality plant fiber. You were not helpful, friend.

Crafting Things to do (talk to us about your interests and current needs):
  1. Herbalist - Be the most important person nobody wants to be, prance through the fields looking for herbs, be a combat medic, give us the ability to make steel, fire and great food. Be underappreciated. FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX
  2. Farmer, Brewer, Cook, Wood Nymph - Tell everyone it is harvesting season, grow the most important resource in the game. Endgame skills allow you to, get everyone drunk, make everyone fat and grow a forest of your own.
  3. Miner - Make shafts for everyone to fall into, throw rocks into fire and create beautiful trinkets.
  4. Builder - Put up a maze of wattle fences and hit everything with a hammer.
  5. Blacksmith - Hit lumps with a hammer, never stop making nails. Armorsmiths needed.
  6. Carpenter - Go from building too many benches to sit on to cow shooting trebuchets!
  7. Hunter, Tailor, Warhorse Trainer - Kill stupid animals, tame dumb animals, clean their poop and watch them have sex, soak their skins in urine. Endgame skills allow you to, give everyone shoes and dumb hats or turn peaceful horses into sterile warhorses.

List of Combat lines:
  1. Cavalry - Horse!
  2. Militia - Polearms!
  3. Footman - Sword and shield!
  4. Slinger - Archery!
  5. Assaulter - Crazy Warboy, shiny and chrome!

The men and women of Ye Olde Detroit hope to see you soon terrorizing the lands of our enemies, working the fields, and digging the mines, Glory to Goondor!

andromache fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
Easily the best world-shaping MMO, dig until your palms are raw ingame and irl.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Playing charlie in the trees and killing guys with good armor and weapons while 4 of us are wearing nothing but shoes, hats, and crossbows and then getting out with the loot while 4 people are shooting at me is hilarious and stupid and some of the most fun I've had in a game in ages.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
deadtear asked me politely not to point out the fact that this game is run by a team of six idiots who dont have logs or how they ban based on hearsay. i WONT post about the other reasons why this game is bad and save that for later. you can pm me if you do care though, ingame or on discord.

i hope you are all having a lovely day, namaste

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
We're only a couple of months in and we have bitter vets already

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
[1:41 PM] Bobik:
Right now we're applying new patch in the EU region. After we will apply it on NA region and if nothing serious will come up, we will press the "Publish" button on Steam!

Thank you for your help, understanding and support!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

to be fair, the mans killing portion of this game is fun when you arent fighting exploiters. the minecrafting stuff can be fun. the devs make bad calls like when they split the already niche community from two servers to three and seven as of today

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
think about this though: everything will be fine even if i agree with you regarding them adding a third server type lmbo

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
If killing nerds isn't your style then you can minecraft. This game is super rewarding on the building aspects.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
this game is good, the developers are bad, but then again which sandbox mmo has a good development team?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

this game is good, the developers are bad, but then again which sandbox mmo has a good development team?

yeah basically

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
This is the best MMO in the MMO HMO

which isn't saying a lot

but just saying

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

[1:41 PM] Bobik:
... After we will apply it on NA region and if nothing serious will come up, we will press the "Publish" button on Steam!

andromache posted:

Welcome to Ye Olde Detroit, the Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune for Goons in the new Life is Feudal MMO.

Thanks for sharing this update and for the new thread. I'll keep an eye out for the steam release and hopefully tomorrow evening or this weekend I'll join on in.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Simon Numbers posted:

If killing nerds isn't your style then you can minecraft. This game is super rewarding on the building aspects.

I thought the game play looked rather minecrafty too. Eh, minecraft can be fun if you are in the right frame of mind. Once I get my character set up (this weekend) I plan to grind up herbalist skills.

Question for Goondor management: Since I plan to spend most of my time in the woods grabbing every herb I can, would it be okay for me to get a house built in the woods?

Also, is there a trick to picking a name? I spent 10 min trying name my dude. Kept getting an error message. I'm guessing that since the game is still in beta, I may have hit a glitch. Gave up and will try again on Sat.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Pugzilla posted:

I thought the game play looked rather minecrafty too. Eh, minecraft can be fun if you are in the right frame of mind. Once I get my character set up (this weekend) I plan to grind up herbalist skills.

Question for Goondor management: Since I plan to spend most of my time in the woods grabbing every herb I can, would it be okay for me to get a house built in the woods?

Also, is there a trick to picking a name? I spent 10 min trying name my dude. Kept getting an error message. I'm guessing that since the game is still in beta, I may have hit a glitch. Gave up and will try again on Sat.

you can herb safely in walls, herbalism is looking at the ground clicking gather herbs then gathering the herbs that appear.

It's very easy to help out with the more minecraft aspects as thing shovelling iron into a cart then hauling it back helps a lot but only takes about 20 minutes.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

finished this tonight, looks pretty loving amazing.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Simon Numbers posted:

you can herb safely in walls, herbalism is looking at the ground clicking gather herbs then gathering the herbs that appear.

It's very easy to help out with the more minecraft aspects as thing shovelling iron into a cart then hauling it back helps a lot but only takes about 20 minutes.

Well then... hunting herbs within the walls sounds safer. Still think it would be more fun to forage in the woods, but definitely like the safety of walls.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

quote:

Hey, Feudalists!

It has been a really long and exhausting development cycle for us and the community getting ready for release into Early Access. We released the list of servers and rulesets yesterday, and some of the community were disappointed with this news. We took note of the issues the community was concerned about. Bobik took time yesterday to listen and respond to some of the feedback, and some adjustments were made as a result that everyone supports. We hope this sets an example for Early Access and displays the teamwork between the studio and the community that we will need to successfully move forward through Early Access.

EU
1. Avalon will be considered a PvP server. The only ruleset changes for this server (for now) will be in the tweak of the Judgement Hour schedule. JHs will occur more often and last longer.
2. Fannland will have a vanilla ruleset and will be enabled once we see that the demand is higher than the current active server capacities. Fannland will stay inactive for now.
3. Skjultland will have a vanilla ruleset and will be available now.
NA
1. Buyan will remain a vanilla ruleset server, but the frequency and duration of Judgement Hour will be increased.
2. Telmun will have a vanilla ruleset and will be available now.

Judgement Hours for Avalon and Buyan will have the following schedule:
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - 2 hours during primetime.

Last but not least, Steam Early Access is going to be opened today, Friday the 12th of January 2018!

– The team

Going from 1 hour of JH to 8 hours a week, including pretty much all weekend is going to be fun. All the more reason to get castle walls finished.

I hope they let us know if that schedule begins this week though, because that's going to require a loooottt of wargear crafting

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Those castle walls are legit

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
Having a font issue. The print is way the hell too small. I messed with the video settings in the game and on my PC (4k high rez). Any ideas on how to fix?

deathflea
Jul 5, 2012

I SWEAR THIS IS NOMINAL OK
heard some complaints about cash shop pay to win gibs. Any truth to that? This looks like a fun game otherwise.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

of all the things actually wrong with the game, p2w is not one of them. you need premium (1 free month incl with 30 dollar pack, 20/mo after) to use the power hour system which doubles skill gain on your character while its active. the good news is, there is skill caps so once your character reaches it, you dont really need premium ever again.

all the alignment bonuses and and skill loss avoidment that you get with prem can be done w/o it

e: if i had focused and spent every powerhour when it came up after each 22h, i would have easily maxed my skill caps in roughly 3 weeks

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 13, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kimsemus posted:

Going from 1 hour of JH to 8 hours a week, including pretty much all weekend is going to be fun. All the more reason to get castle walls finished.

I hope they let us know if that schedule begins this week though, because that's going to require a loooottt of wargear crafting

What's judgement hour?

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

deathflea posted:

heard some complaints about cash shop pay to win gibs. Any truth to that? This looks like a fun game otherwise.

There's a sub that gives you "power hour" which doubles your skill gain for an hour every 22 hours and death insurance. Death insurance offsets your skill loss slightly.

There's no actual pay to win aspects that affect anything beyond the first week of the game because skill gain becomes quite easy once you have good food.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

LLSix posted:

What's judgement hour?

It's a period when objects (buildings, placed items) on realm claims can be attacked, otherwise they're invulnerable.

astropika fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 13, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's 5:30 AM, I haven't played an MMO in months, and this is time and money I could spend with my girlfriend or doing something productive.

I'm gonna use it griefing pubbies. :getin:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Goon engineers at work: expensive house too tall to be protected by walls, and vulnerable to trebuchets?

Cover it in protective bullshit while we build a bigger wall!

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.
slightly better screenshot:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

andromache posted:

slightly better screenshot:

Dear God that huge smooth expanse of dirt: so majestic.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How does the building system compare to Wurm? Can i raise and lower manmade mountains? Can i dig an underground road miles long?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How does the building system compare to Wurm? Can i raise and lower manmade mountains? Can i dig an underground road miles long?

You sure can, friend. This game is Wurm with excellent graphics and Mount and Blade combat. If you liked Wurm or M&B, you will absolutely love this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Looking in to potentially picking this up (because I'm a sucker for mount and blade style games), if you follow the guide in the OP about 55 points in slinger to use a Crossbow (?!), and you only get 400 total to spend on combat stuff, how hosed are you if you want to do anything other than just crossbow people forever?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

VICTORY TO DETROIT! GOONS REIGN!

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Zaodai posted:

Looking in to potentially picking this up (because I'm a sucker for mount and blade style games), if you follow the guide in the OP about 55 points in slinger to use a Crossbow (?!), and you only get 400 total to spend on combat stuff, how hosed are you if you want to do anything other than just crossbow people forever?

Combat skills and Crafting skills share separate skill point caps, so it's a matter of what types of combat you want to do, not crafting or combat.

edit: lol

InstantInfidel fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 14, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, I'm in and running over. I can't actually see the minimap thing because it's still showing me an image of the newbie island instead, but I'm on server 11 and running east, so i should get there eventually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, I'm in and running over. I can't actually see the minimap thing because it's still showing me an image of the newbie island instead, but I'm on server 11 and running east, so i should get there eventually.
Get in the Discord, nobody posts in the thread in real time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Get in the Discord, nobody posts in the thread in real time.

I am already, just posting about the weird map bug

edit: is it real time if it takes me hours to run there :v:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also, we use discord for text messages and alerts/announcements, but Mumble for voice, so don't think nobody is on or people are ignoring you if noone is in Discord voice :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
https://clips.twitch.tv/HeartlessAmazonianStorkNotLikeThis

https://clips.twitch.tv/ScrumptiousFurryUdonBudStar

https://clips.twitch.tv/PerfectMildLyrebirdPrimeMe

Some cool clips from judgement hour today.

We dumpstered the crybabies that have been ~elite pvp~ on us for a few weeks after werkwerk hosed their landbridge.

Then went around and got destroyed tradeposts, stole a few horses and killed some dudes.