Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReutersAfrica/status/1485190574181289986?s=20
This is making international news but I think it's mostly blustering while the government works with the US to potentially set up a peace talks.

https://twitter.com/TigrayEAO/status/1486022051190218758?s=20
https://twitter.com/EA_DevCouncil/status/1485815615499689987?s=20
More actual fighting seems to be breaking out with the TPLF advancing on Afar militias. TPLF is saying Eritrea is supporting the militias, while the militias say the ENDF abandoned them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1486033068339208201

Tigray war in 2030 : BREAKING After the 23rd battle of Mekele, TDF/OLF forces have pushed back the advancing ENDF/Fano/ASF to Dessie in the 19th offensive on Addis Abeba

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in today's news cycle it does feel like 14 years and not 14 months

the syrian and libyan wars are a decade old now

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i say swears online posted:

in today's news cycle it does feel like 14 years and not 14 months

The US and Turkey have done everything we can to keep the Syrian war dragged out indefinitely. I doubt we care to do the same in Ethiopia.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1486421397521977347

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/PMEthiopia/status/1486318600218685447?s=20

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I definitely know even less about what's happening in Burkina Faso now.

allegedly things weren't going too well, as these things often start, and then the govt decided not to pay their russian mercs.

and then the real ride downhill started

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Truga posted:

allegedly things weren't going too well, as these things often start, and then the govt decided not to pay their russian mercs.

and then the real ride downhill started
to be very clear, the coup started because the military thought russian mercs would do a better job than the current french mission. the protesters with the russian flags were interviewed and said they wanted russia because of their work in stabilizing the central african republic. there are no russian mercs in burkina faso, but there probably will be soon

FT has a different perspective

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamTheMarxist/status/1486397123629301762

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wow, did not see that one coming. how does this fit into the sankara trial, if theyre now gonna be following his path?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i say swears online posted:

thanks obama!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

guidoanselmi posted:

thanks obama!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1486773861626568705

horrid. apperently the victims were made to dig their own graves

PawParole has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Jan 27, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lollontee posted:

wow, did not see that one coming. how does this fit into the sankara trial, if theyre now gonna be following his path?

https://twitter.com/Jack_Mrgln/status/1486761205821849603?s=20&t=bd4gQs9b62OQAzP_jsONzg
https://twitter.com/ConstantinGouvy/status/1486689615683674117?s=20&t=bd4gQs9b62OQAzP_jsONzg

who knows. conflicting stories coming out.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

who knows. conflicting stories coming out.

friends telling me the street impression is the same. just "uhh, ok you weirdos" and awkward uncertainty

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Denmark pulls troops from Mali as military gov’t swipes at France

Mali has demanded the withdrawal of Danish troops from the country and they have begun to leave.

You might be asking why Denmark even has soldiers in Mali and the answer is France has been trying to make its military operations there and across Western Africa a more European affair instead of solely a French one.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

quote:

Critics have long warned that the prisons in north-eastern Syria were kindling soaked in petrol. Governed by a Kurdish-led administration, the semi-autonomous region is fragile, facing not only IS but a hostile Turkey and a Syrian regime that wants to bring it back under central control. The SDF, by its own admission, struggles to guard the prisons; attempted escapes are common.

Though most of the detainees are Syrian and Iraqi, thousands are foreigners, hailing from around 60 countries. Many countries, particularly in Europe, are reluctant to bring their citizens home, fearing they will be hard to prosecute or monitor. Instead they have been left for years in squalid conditions.

The largest prison camp, al-Hol, houses around 56,000 people, most of them children. Some of the camp’s adult detainees still believe in IS and work to indoctrinate the young. They enforce a strict dress code, ban smoking and music and torment those who turn away from their ideology, especially women. Suspected deviants are sometimes tortured or have their tents burned. At least 90 people have been murdered in al-Hol since last January.

Very odd that the SDF has to be the prison-keeper of IS. Seem like they are doing the West a huge favor and getting the shaft in return.

al-Hol looks like this...

Other prisons in Syria can get awfully dense, probably not a good long term solution.

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Jan 28, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They're just bringing back the proud tradition of anarchist prisons from the Spanish Civil War.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Laith_Marouf/status/1486745796003389443?cxt=HHwWhoCzoZTb_aEpAAAA

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/war_noir/status/1486770083972227076?cxt=HHwWiIC93fPgiKIpAAAA

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
so something happened last week and while it definitely isn't going to be making international headlines, it's a good opportunity to talk about a source of increasing tension between Senegal and the Gambia. 2 senegalese soldiers were killed and 9 were taken prisoner while fighting a Senegalese seperatist group, the Movement of Democratic Forces for Casamance. this skirmish occurred in the Gambia.

if Senegal is a face with the Gambia in its mouth, Casamance is the face's lower jaw. it is where the rest of Senegal gets a lot of important goods, including lumber, groundnuts and mangoes, and there is a common feeling in Casamance that they are being exploited by the Senegalese government and could do better as an independent country. for this reason it has been home to the MDFC since the 80s, and the intensity of the rebellion waxing and waning through numerous attempts of reaching an agreement. though a peace treaty between Senegal and the MDFC was signed in 2004, not all factions of the rebellion have abided by it and skirmishes continue to the present day.

in 2017, the Gambia's president, Yahma Jammeh, who had been in power for over 20 years, lost re-election and refused to step down. in response, a coalition of west African countries, including Senegal, established a military presence in the Gambia, forcing Jammeh to leave the country and flee to Equitorial Guinea, where he lives to this day. even though Jammeh left, the military coalition established to ensure a smooth transition to the new administration did not. Senegal continues to maintain military bases in the Gambia, and it's widely believed that part of the motivation to maintain this presence is because it makes it far easier for Senegalese forces to launch military incursions into Casamance, against the MDFC. in addition, the MDFC also maintains bases in the Gambia, where they make money with illegal logging. the Senegalese military bases in the Gambia are, of course, targets for MDFC militias.

the incident last week (which, probably intentionally, took place while the Gambia was playing Guinea in the Africa Cup) is the sort of conflict that is going to stoke Gambian resentment against Senegal, and if it gets worse, has the potential to escalate into more aggressive moves by Gambian politicians to keep Senegalese forces out of their country.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I wonder how it squares with rising Russian influence in the rest of Francophone Africa.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/StateDeptSpox/status/1487969190904541185?s=20&t=yzMys0ucUoaUROuPOON38Q

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the Emiratis have earned the eternal hatred and have made an enemy of every single free thinking Arab who hates fascism and Israel, they have crossed the rubicon to the point that all Arabs who are free to do so are openly cheering the houthis for striking the emirates and want more missiles to rain down on them. nobody will weep for the UAE.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

the Emiratis have earned the eternal hatred and have made an enemy of every single free thinking Arab who hates fascism and Israel, they have crossed the rubicon to the point that all Arabs who are free to do so are openly cheering the houthis for striking the emirates and want more missiles to rain down on them. nobody will weep for the UAE.

Where are you seeing Arab opinion turn in favor of Houthis over UAE? Is it just a sentiment in Saudi Arabia, or is it all over Arabic social media? Is it in broadcast media?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Where are you seeing Arab opinion turn in favor of Houthis over UAE? Is it just a sentiment in Saudi Arabia, or is it all over Arabic social media? Is it in broadcast media?

anything I say should be taken as my own opinion.

i can’t measure public opinion because there’s no way to do so given the prevailing fascism and control of social and broadcast media, I can only guess.

generally speaking there’s a balanced view that the houthis overturned a legitimate government and that they’re Iranian tools.

there is no turn in broadcast media because most Arab broadcast media is firmly under the control of Arab fascism so the only people offering a balanced view are people broadcasting from Europe, sadly it’s very much a black and white.

there’s no turn in Saudi public opinion because the war hasn’t shook the country to the point that people are openly suffering due to it, and there’s the hard sectarian anti-iranian turn so people generally view the war as necessary. also anyone who says anything different is quickly dispatched with so there’s no way to judge public opinion.

most Arab thinkers who have a brain of their own and aren’t safely in Europe and america have completely abandoned social media as a platform to share their thoughts, this is because the gulf regimes and Arab fascists are very proactive with finding and jailing anyone who disagrees with them online, in the gulf for example there’s a law that says if you tweet or share a tweet that goes against the government policy you can be jailed for 15 years. so social media has simply become too dangerous to use.

for example everyone who wished Saudi and qatar wouldn’t fight in 2017 are all still in jail long after Saudi mended ties with Qatar, that’s the level of despicable pettiness we’re dealing with.

most of the ‘turn’ I’m seeing are from people who are abroad and safe from government persecution. at first people were behind the way because they had to stop iranian expansion, but as the years progressed it became really clear that the gulf regimes were both too incompetent and they in fight amongst each other and focused more on destroying the Muslim brotherhood of Yemen (the biggest political block and the only people who have a solid social base to confront the houthis) and the emirates was backstabbing Saudi by focusing on making their own little fiefdom (the South Yemen project) and swallowing up islands and ports. at this point the war makes no sense and is prolonging needless suffering.

also, the cries of ‘Arab unity in the face of Iran’ rings more and more hollow when you’re being a complete bitch boy of Israel and the damage the Emiratis have done to Arabs and Muslims as a whole by sponsoring the fascist counter revolution and all of their sucking up to Israel and outright hatred against all forms of Arab political freedom this you put people in an impossible choice. do you root for an Israeli dog or an Iranian one?

at this point people just want payback, payback against the UAE for what they’ve done to millions of Arab young people and payback against Iran for what they’ve done in Syria, so they’ll cheer for anything that harms these countries leaderships. it’s pure hopelessness.

so for example if you’re an Arab whose been negatively effected by the UAE in Egypt/Sudan/Tunisia/Gaza so on and so forth you’ll cheer when the houthis give some measure of payback to the mother of Arab fascism and the dog of Israel.

if you’re a Syrian you’ll cheer against Iran and it’s tools but also the UAE too because the UAE is rehabilitating assad.

basically the emirates made a very deep and hateful enemy in every Arab who thinks Arabs are human beings and deserve political freedom and hate Israel and support palestine. if it ends up being the tools of Iran who brings those dogs to heel then so be it.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Jan 31, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sorry, I forgot to reply. I appreciated your post.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1488766296426692608?s=20&t=AjNFXVtIDPDW418Y3ZZ9ZA

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Al-Saqr posted:

Alot of emiratis are gossping online about how the drone strike is an inside job to stir poo poo, suffice to say no one is enthused by the direction Abu Dhabi is taking.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Fizzil posted:

Alot of emiratis are gossping online about how the drone strike is an inside job to stir poo poo, suffice to say no one is enthused by the direction Abu Dhabi is taking.

i think what’s actually happening is that the emirates crossed a line against Iran in a deal they struck over Yemen, especially with the recent advances for pro government and South Yemen militias against the houthis, and now Iran is sending a message through the houthis that ‘ hey you better back off now’. it’s hard to say if this will do the trick or not but these strikes will probably keep being attempted until the emirates go back to their agreed lines with Iran.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

UAE tried to maintain a sphere of influence on South Yemen, which had previously been independent.

Houthis begin incursions into South Yemen.

Missiles begin landing on South Yemen's protector.

Many such cases.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1488686165356130304?s=20&t=TR6-n9hm6TLsMjTiipCL4g

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

machine guns AND ak47s? wow they really meant business

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spergin Morlock posted:

machine guns AND ak47s? wow they really meant business

belt-fed machine guns usually mean lotta more dakka than assault rifles

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/afshinrattansi/status/1489178117046480908?t=Pa_3nhyzcBdh-p_6y0veLw&s=19

some tweets also claiming they had to blow up a disabled helicopter but not seen pictures or anything

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1489139829761880070?t=1EvAcFl0rD4IfdArmLobuQ&s=19

flawless Victory! oorah

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1489219116732928004?t=AKFVqs5mEItSmXVBOScBlA&s=19

now claiming they've killed the head of Isis, no comment on alleged civilian casualties

e: https://twitter.com/Himat75/status/1489223129897607178?t=xC9kZ_dGEG9fCee_WKMpZQ&s=19

looks like they did lose a helicopter

XMNN has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Feb 3, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the raid was in Idlib? I didnt think isis and hts were that cozy

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
as posted in the biosphere collapse thread, an oil tanker exploded in nigeria, near the niger river delta.

which is as good a time as any to talk about the nile river delta and oil companies

the water supply in Ogoniland, a community in the Nile River delta containing a couple million people, is profoundly contaminated after decades of oil extraction and refinement with little to no oversight. though the extraction stopped decades ago, the region is still full of abandoned and rotting oil infrastructure that is no longer being maintained or guarded.

originally the oil companies (mostly the Shell Petroleum Development Company) would include "rights of way" when creating infrastructure, which were buffers between the equipment and local communities in case of any pipeline failures. of course, the fences and other indicators that mark these rights of way are rotting away, and population pressures have forced communities to expand into them, both people and crops. land above leaking oil pipes are now used for crop cultivation, and of course it leaks into the groundwater poisoning the local fauna. the most common occupations in ogoniland are fishing and agriculture

of course the culpability for all of this lies with SPDC. it's really hosed up that they would just set up all this oil infrastructure, destroy the land, poison the people, and then just leave as soon as it's no longer profitable.

oh wait. there is more

there was pushback from the Ogoni people against the SPDC's activities in the 1990s. there were protests. and, at the behest of the SPDC, the Nigerian military cracked down on these protests. all told, the coordinated suppression of Ogoni protests by the SPDC and the Nigerian military (sometimes with weapons provided by the SPDC) resulted in years of massacres and razed villages, with estimates being a couple thousand dead and tens of thousands left homeless. the suppression campaign culminated in 1995 with the imprisonment and execution of nine of the protest campaign's leaders. you can read amnesty international's 2017 report on the subject for an in-depth account

Ogoniland was in the news a few days ago, as the Nigerian government has begun accepting bids to clean up a few dozen of the most contaminated sites, the third or maybe fourth round of bidding. this will take decades, and the federal government of Nigeria is paying the bill (which should hit around a billion dollars when all is said and done)

and Shell? well last year Shell was ordered by a Dutch court to pay $111 million to the Ogoni people for oil spills that occurred in the 1970s. there is still no justice for the Shell-sponsored death squads, the contaminated land, or the poisoned water. and well there probably never will be because there will never be justice for the crimes that capitalism has committed against the global south

if you decide to do some more research on this topic, you can enjoy this as the first result if you google "ogoniland shell"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Unpop_Science/status/1489024240204402688?cxt=HHwWgMCitYjqiaopAAAA

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ELTON JOHN posted:

which is as good a time as any to talk about the nile river delta and oil companies

Surely you mean the Niger River delta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

shirts and skins posted:

Surely you mean the Niger River delta?

yeah heck