Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Libs are gonna look at these bombings and complain about it not being enough war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

that's a hell of a take

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Libs are gonna look at these bombings and complain about it not being enough war.

The line, already, is that Trump told Russia the attacks were coming and its just More Proof; the alternative, that we should have outright killed as many Russian soldiers in Syria as possible, would be bad of course, but that we DIDN'T is proof the piss tape is real, you see.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's impossible to even say if any of the targets which were struck had anything to do with Syria's chemical weapons capabilities. Like the Science & Research Center in Damascus is billed as being a government agency responsible for digitizing the country and bringing everyone the internet, but Western security experts have been insisting for years that they were the ones developing the chemical weapons program. It reminds me of the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory bombing in 1998 when the Clinton administration insisted they were making VX nerve agent for Al Qaeda, but it really was just a pill plant and they caused an epidemic in Sudan.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
this illegal, useless attack was great. i'm a foodie and a mother and i'm doing my part!
  \
    \
      \
        \
          \

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Laphroaig posted:

The line, already, is that Trump told Russia the attacks were coming and its just More Proof; the alternative, that we should have outright killed as many Russian soldiers in Syria as possible, would be bad of course, but that we DIDN'T is proof the piss tape is real, you see.

The Pentagon said they told the Russians that the attack was coming so they'd clear air space, but they didn't consult the Russians on what was going to be hit. I'm not even certain they made sure that none of the targets they were going to hit were Russian.

e: https://twitter.com/sovietfuntime2/status/984996679454687233

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Apr 14, 2018

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol
https://twitter.com/walid970721/status/984556695941734400

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's impossible to even say if any of the targets which were struck had anything to do with Syria's chemical weapons capabilities. Like the Science & Research Center in Damascus is billed as being a government agency responsible for digitizing the country and bringing everyone the internet, but Western security experts have been insisting for years that they were the ones developing the chemical weapons program. It reminds me of the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory bombing in 1998 when the Clinton administration insisted they were making VX nerve agent for Al Qaeda, but it really was just a pill plant and they caused an epidemic in Sudan.

bombing one of the few remaining scientific institutions in syria really pisses me off. chlorine gas is wwi technology, people make it at home accidentally all the time by mixing cleaning fluids. it is easy to make, doesn't require a huge research center or chemical plant. this did nothing except damage civilian industry.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

why was Assad launching a chemical attack when the war was nearly over

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yandat posted:

why was Assad launching a chemical attack when the war was nearly over

They really needed Jaish al-Islam to leave Douma without a fight, and probably figured the Western retaliation wouldn't matter. If what they claim about shooting down cruise missiles is even partially true, it'd also be a good test of their AA defenses and Russian weapons.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They really needed Jaish al-Islam to leave Douma without a fight, and probably figured the Western retaliation wouldn't matter. If what they claim about shooting down cruise missiles is even partially true, it'd also be a good test of their AA defenses and Russian weapons.

yeah maybe. i'm not buying the conspiracy angle but it just seems weird when you can slowly win. maybe if you've been doing it for four years a chemical attack looks rational but it's strange

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/anarchimedia/status/985016552226508806?s=21

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

here's an article explaining the legal aspect of the strike: https://www.lawfareblog.com/downsides-bombing-syria

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the american foreign policy establishment is insanely dumb and bad

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
the syria strikes are done already? what happened to the Invasion And Occupation of Syria that ppl were so hyperventatingly about

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LinYutang posted:

the syria strikes are done already? what happened to the Invasion And Occupation of Syria that ppl were so hyperventatingly about

trump

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Being against American strikes is one thing, but saying "um actually chemical warfare is good" is pretty lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Being against American strikes is one thing, but saying "um actually chemical warfare is good" is pretty lol

im sorry but its one or the other

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
fwiw i don't think syrian and russian AA had much to do with the lack of real damage so much as the strike being extremely short notice which meant there wasn't a lot of time to pick targets and plan. what should worry people is what happens the next time trump gets in deep poo poo and orders another strike. bolton is absolutely screaming in his ear to do more

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
bashar al-Assad is good and will win

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

GalacticAcid posted:

bashar al-Assad is good and will win

liberals: ironic racism
leftists: ironic assadism

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Venom Snake posted:

fwiw i don't think syrian and russian AA had much to do with the lack of real damage so much as the strike being extremely short notice which meant there wasn't a lot of time to pick targets and plan. what should worry people is what happens the next time trump gets in deep poo poo and orders another strike. bolton is absolutely screaming in his ear to do more

It was the Russians who said they shot down the missiles, not the SyAAF. And while that's technically possible, it's nearly impossible to believe because the Russians just blatantly lie whenever it's in their interests.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

LinYutang posted:

kill yourself

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i got raised by some assholes and skipped the whole "ethics" thing

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thug Lessons posted:

It was the Russians who said they shot down the missiles, not the SyAAF. And while that's technically possible, it's nearly impossible to believe because the Russians just blatantly lie whenever it's in their interests.

i don't think it's out of reason to think the russians shot down a decent amount of cruise missiles (they aren't hard to hit); but this strike WAS limited compared to what president bigmac could really do

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

i don't think it's out of reason to think the russians shot down a decent amount of cruise missiles (they aren't hard to hit); but this strike WAS limited compared to what president bigmac could really do

It's definitely possible. They have platforms to do it. We just don't really have any reason to believe they did, because their word is worth nothing and that's all we have.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I want Assad to win the war quickly on all fronts

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

I want Assad to win the war quickly on all fronts

lmao he is

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/StateDept/status/985192241344823299

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/985198491986165766

https://twitter.com/JakeGodin/status/985152803135021057

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Apr 14, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honest question - what is the reasoning behind chemical weapons being worse than getting bomb shrapnel embedded in your torso or whatever? I'm not asking this as some rhetorical thing, but because I'm genuinely curious what the rational is because making a clear distinction between them and "conventional" weapons. Unlike nuclear weapons, it doesn't have the whole "an entire city destroyed with just one bomb" aspect and I don't think it renders the area uninhabitable for a while afterwards due to radiation or some other reason (though I'm not sure about the latter).

I want to be clear that I'm not defending chemical weapons here, and I'm mostly expecting some actual answer to this, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Honest question - what is the reasoning behind chemical weapons being worse than getting bomb shrapnel embedded in your torso or whatever? I'm not asking this as some rhetorical thing, but because I'm genuinely curious what the rational is because making a clear distinction between them and "conventional" weapons. Unlike nuclear weapons, it doesn't have the whole "an entire city destroyed with just one bomb" aspect and I don't think it renders the area uninhabitable for a while afterwards due to radiation or some other reason (though I'm not sure about the latter).

Because they're not actually very useful in a post-WWI battlefield context (things move around too much even in urban warfare), but very VERY effective to use punitively against civilian populations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I want to be clear that I'm not defending chemical weapons here, and I'm mostly expecting some actual answer to this, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Part of it is that chemical weapons don't actually have that much of a proper military use because modern militaries have protective equipment which civilian populations do not. Because of that they're only really useful as a terror weapon.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Well, people were horrified by their deployment in WWI, and moved quickly to ban them thereafter. That's about the long and the short of it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

Well, people were horrified by their deployment in WWI, and moved quickly to ban them thereafter. That's about the long and the short of it.

Yeah another often unexamined reason which carries a distressing amount of weight is "because we [the west] said so"

pee pee, doo doo, folk don't consider their ideas much, whatever.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah another often unexamined reason which carries a distressing amount of weight is "because we [the west] said so"

pee pee, doo doo, folk don't consider their ideas much, whatever.

It's mostly because they were horrified that the cream of European aristocracy could be choked to death.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I look forward to visiting Damascus once Assad wins

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The tactical use for the US and Russian stockpiles had in mind was to basically spray coat behind enemy lines during a hypothetical Fulda Gap conflict with extremely sticky and hard to clean nerve agents that would distrust resupply and medical units and make it basically impossible to support an armored spearhead.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

If Syria disagreed they could have not signed the cwc at the expense of their genocide efficiency

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Wild how tankie and alt right commentary ends up looking the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Part of it is that chemical weapons don't actually have that much of a proper military use because modern militaries have protective equipment which civilian populations do not. Because of that they're only really useful as a terror weapon.

Okay, so basically "there's just no reason to use them in most cases unless they're targeting civilians." That's a pretty good reason to ban their use, though I'm not sure it really makes using them against civilians morally worse than using conventional weapons against the same civilians (though I guess it at least erases all doubt that killing civilians was the intent of the attack).

It seems like the issue then isn't so much "people being outraged at the use of chemical weapons against civilians," but rather "people being less outraged at the use of conventional weapons against civilians."