Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Iraq has a strong anti-US undercurrent and al-Sadr, who will likely come on top in the aftermath, loathes America.

Wait, Iraqis hate us? What have we ever done to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Jose posted:

trump getting a load of american soldiers killed by being a huge dumbass would own

Trump getting a load of TROOPS killed and then article 5'ing a member of NATO would be something

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I'd like to once again thank Micheal Bay! Having watched Pearl Harbor many times growing up because it was the only interesting movie that my grandparents had at their house, and having spent a lot of sundays at their place, I decided long ago that dying in a sinking ship would actually really loving suck and that there is absolutely 0 good reason to join the navy! having since become a not-chud, joining the military in general is stupid, but he guerenteed that I would never die sinking out in the ocean because Turmpo is dumb

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Personal fan theory is that he genuinely believes the "it's to prevent wars" angle and he's just too stupid to see why that is stupid

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Is al'shabab even affiliated with Iran? Those troops were there to fight them because the Nigerians weren't able to, I thought. Plus I thought that al'shabab liked ISIS?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I'd like to give yet another shout out to my man Michael Bay! scenes like this of people trapped in sinking ships made sure I would never be near a ship when it hit a random ship/got rocketed by Iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-UmKkirmQ

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

hoping for an eternal funeral because it's clear that Iran won't do anything until he's in the ground and I'm a coward who doesn't want untold numbers of civilians to die

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

hope some us troops get hit by rockets

https://twitter.com/markhughesfilms...pagenumber%3D73

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

ya idk bout that. could be! hope so!

yeah, looking at his twitter, he's just some dude finding his info on twitter

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

CBS live stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Vj7qyjmws

ABC live stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNCI18p9wSw

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

hate to go all "russia!!!!" but this is really similar to a thing that they did ~5 years ago or something, that the NYT covered

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html

basically sent out mass texts telling people that a nearby chemical plant was leaking or something

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Algund Eenboom posted:

The us embassy is getting shot up with missiles... seems pretty important

Ehh, seems normal

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

So was the person filming the plane just filming random stuff to hopefully get a war video to post online? Seems odd that they were trying to keep a plane in focus, even moving to get a better view, but I could understand that reasoning

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Still can't believe that Russia shot down that Ukrainian passanger plane

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

How many miles would that tunnel be? Cause lol it would not be quick to dig, and Israel certainly wouldn't be in any hurry

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao wtf is happening? Going with "Saudi Arabia false flagging the US in to a war with Iran to lower global oil production to fix the mess they are in" until someone has something that is actually reasonable to explain it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252932181447630848?s=19

Time to push the Iranians around some more to look strong.

Every once in a while I imagine what it would be like if we had actually gotten in to a war with Iran back in January, given Corona and all

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

cool dance moves posted:

Maybe Pompeo supports the Megali Idea and wants to cede western Anatolia to Greece :thunk:

greece waited too long those cores are gone now. They could have at least tried declaring a war or two just to maintain them, reset the counter, but they never did

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vVIf0HkqHU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao is that the best fake that they have out there? Jesus at least try and make it look like it isn't just a dot that you put in in mspaint in 5 minutes

Isn't even in any of the other videos

Plus, you know, the whole "it's probably just one of those small black birds that are in every video of it and look like they are really common in the city"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

genuinely want to see if there has been a spike in leukemia rates among veterans of Iraq/Afghanistan. There has been a few studies that have linked depleted uranium to leukemia in mice, and on a personal level my cousin who served in afghanistan passed back in 2017 from leukemia, and while it is very possible that he just rolled the dice and they came up wrong, I just don't know.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

every other brit hanging out in a cafe from basra to bosnia is a spy of some kind. they're very good at it and they blend in well, unlike americans. they've been doing to for so long it's part of the national culture going back back to lawrence of arabia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AS-dCdYZbo

What about that Bald and Bankrupt youtuber? I never really got into him, but his videos were kind of interesting. But "British dude who was really into Russia and India" just screamed cop to me

https://www.youtube.com/c/baldandbankrupt

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Nov 10, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

and wouldn't you know it Israel, our friend, just said that they killed an Al Qaeda leader that Iran was hiding! Those dastardly sponsors of terrorism, they're a menace!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

WATCH TRUMP START A loving WAR

2020 started with the assassination of Soleimani, let's see how this poo poo ends

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Just loving wild to remember that this year started with the US assassinating Soleimani

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

What grounds is Israel claiming to have for seizing the ships? Isn't that just an embargo at that point? Or do I just not understand some obscure distinction between the two?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

OhFunny posted:

They are not seizing the ships. They are placing limpet charges and blowing holes in them. Israel is calculating these covert bombings along with the assassinations will not escalate into war.

oh poo poo lmao, turns out reading beyond the tweet(or even reading the tweet in general) is important

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Every once in a while I think back to being given a pamphlet while in Sunday school at the evangelical church that I went to growing up that showed israel's "biblical borders" and I just lmao

It included the entire sinai iirc

Would have been the early to mid 2000's. Well adjusted country

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

more like dimona deez nuts amirite?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Was getting ready to argue with someone online about how sanctions are a form of violence, and found this article from 2000 about how depleted uranium and sanctions absolutely devastated Iraq and now I don't even care to argue with someone online for no reason

https://ciaotest.cc.columbia.edu/olj/sa/sa_may00anv01.html

1/5 children born in southern Iraq in 1999 were born with birth defects. The number of children with cancer rose to 130,000 in 1997 from 32 in 1990.

Death to this demon cracker nation

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

first i invest in the iraqi dinar and then i tried the turkish lira.... oy vey!! anyone have tips of what money i should put my money in?

The Dollar

Please, I need you to do this for me

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

which? there are so many........ canadian, hong kong, australian, singaporean, liberian, namibian, US...... the list goes on !!

All of them, but leave out the Jamaican

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

NEOM will never not be funny

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Artisanal Mines

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Since when is the 50th percentile through the 90th percentile the middle 40% :colbert:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

He somehow looked even more dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Best Friends posted:

No no that’s absurd and frankly media illiterate, it will be about completely unrelated and completely real human rights concerns that just happen to apply exclusively to countries that don’t like the US’s rabid dog.

I think that the stated reason might be something about how companies are helping circumvent Russian sanctions, but lmao it's definitely because Joe loves genocide so much

e:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-treasurys-no-2-visit-south-africa-next-week-2024-03-08/

quote:

WASHINGTON, March 8 (Reuters) - U.S. Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo will visit South Africa next week, a Treasury spokesperson told Reuters, where he will seek to advance the economic relationship between the two countries even as ties have been marked by tensions.
The spokesperson said Adeyemo will discuss issues such as illicit finance, clean energy transition, investment in young entrepreneurs and leaders, work against wildlife trafficking and U.S. sanctions in his visit, first reported by Reuters.
He will meet with government counterparts, business leaders and students, among others, on the trip from March 11-15, the spokesperson said. The trip will include visits to Cape Town, Pretoria and Johannesburg.
The trip comes as relations between Washington and Africa’s most industrialized economy have been marked by tensions over the past two years.
In the wake of Russia's February 2022 invasion of Ukraine, U.S. and European officials have attempted to rally opposition to Moscow's actions among African governments. Most African states, however, have shied away from taking sides.
Despite Pretoria's declared neutrality, perceived close ties between Russia and South Africa, an important U.S. trading partner in Africa, have ruffled feathers in Washington.
The United States and its allies have imposed rafts of sanctions on Moscow since its invasion of Ukraine, including against its military industrial base, financial sector and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Adeyemo will discuss sanctions while on the trip, the spokesperson said, including recent changes to the Zimbabwe sanctions program.

don't know if this is what the tweet is referring to, or the one bill that was proposed in congress calling on the US to reconsider it's relationship with SA a while ago

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Mar 20, 2024