Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kurtofan posted:

do turkish people really believe their presidents poo poo

like everytime something about kurdistan is posted on twitter, there's five turkish guys posting propaganda on how turkey is the good guy actually

yes, even people supporting the opposing party, when it comes to the Kurds (more so, even, for the secular Kemalists).

there are also a lot of Turks online, always have been (see Internet Mahir). combined with near constant propaganda of nationalism and religion, and you get a population that’s stupid and insane (me)

being a citizen of USA and turkey I am extremely ashamed and mad atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dreylad posted:

It shouldn't be a surprise that a Sunni politician wont criticize a Sunni state.

I’m sorry, what the gently caress are you talking about?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dreylad posted:

you're in the middle east thread and you don't understand sectarianism?

I was raised Sunni in the Middle East. really doubt it would have bearing on my decisions re world politics had I adhered to it and introducing the idea is feeding into a racist narrative that suggests she can only form her positions based on the part of her identity that is being a Muslim woman.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

turk

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The simulation feels real

https://ahval.me/clintons/hillary-chelsea-clinton-developing-tv-series-female-kurdish-militias-isis-victory

quote:

Former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and daughter Chelsea are working on a female Kurdish militia drama series covering Kurdish female forces’ battle against the Islamic State (ISIS) in Syria, Hollywood Reporter website said on Monday.

The project, set to be completed through theirHiddenLight production company, will be their first scripted TV series based on Gayle Tzemach Lemmon's upcoming book “The Daughters of Kobani: A Story of Rebellion, Courage, and Justice,'’ it said.

U.S.-backed Kurdish forces defeated ISIS in Kobani, a Kurdish town located on the Turkish-Syrian border, which was the site of one of their biggest massacres of civilians in the Syrian civil war when ISIS slaughtered over 200 people in 2014.

The jihadist organisation was eventually driven out by Kurdish forces seen as an existential threat to Turkey over their links to an insurgency on Turkish soil. The ISIS siege on Kobani ignited mass protests in Turkey's majority-Kurdish southeast.

The book, set to be published Feb. 16 by Penguin Press “is based on hundreds of hours of interviews and on-the-ground reporting about the all-female Kurdish militia who took on ISIS in Northern Syria and won,’’ the website said.

"The Daughters of Kobani is an extraordinary account of brave, defiant women fighting for justice and equality," Hollywood Reported cited Clinton as saying. "We created HiddenLight to celebrate heroes — sung and unsung alike — whose courage is too often overlooked, and we could not be more thrilled to bring this inspiring story to viewers around the world."

There is no network attached to the project as of yet.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Here we go again. :(

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-hdp-close-chief-prosecutor-files-lawsuit posted:

Turkey's chief prosecutor on Wednesday filed a lawsuit to the Constitutional Court to disband the pro-Kurdish People's Democracy Party (HDP), the third largest in parliament, public news agency Anadolu reported.

Bekir Sahin, chief public prosecutor of the Court of Cassation, said in the indictment that that the HDP, through the action and statements of its members, had attempted "to destroy the inseparable unity of the Turkish state and the nation".

In the past two years, the Turkish government has dismissed 50 out of 53 HDP mayors from office, and over 7,000 of the party's members have been detained over terrorism charges. There are indictments against 55 MPs.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's coalition partner, Devlet Bahceli, the nationalist leader of the right-wing MHP, called for the closure of the HDP in recent months, citing alleged ties to the PKK, an armed militant group designated as a terror group by Turkey, the EU and the US.

The HDP has denied all accusations of links to the PKK.

This is a developing story...

I’m so mad, and I’m mad I have to police my own speech online in case I ever want to visit home again

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Mar 17, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s meant to be perceived as an absurd moon shot that only Erdogan could propose. a “crazy project” founded on a public-private partnership (build-operate-transfer) that enriches his cronies. these projects usually include stipulations that if the operation is insufficiently profitable to the company then the government has to pay them the difference. in practice you have toll bridges with huge fees that lead to nobody using them, BUT the government has to cover any lost revenues according to some bullshit projection.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Apr 6, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/18/world/kabul-journal-2-jews-outlast-taliban-maybe-not-each-other.html

🤔

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1391798961871237122?s=20
https://twitter.com/UNOCHA_ROSEA/status/1391676895859814401?s=20

It does feel weird having the "mideast" and africa threads combined. But there's probably not enough interest in just an africa thread, despite it being a whole continent.

we aren’t building an ontology of the world and the things that matter; we’re grouping topics based on how people here generally want to discuss them, which is informed primarily by the English-language publications reporting on these regions. there is also some overlap, like in Egypt and Yemen, and actors in the Middle East regularly interfere in African affairs and maintain military, political , and commercial ties too (Turkey in Libya, Somalia, etc.). if all the topics were organized into trees of knowledge that are actually proportionate to other commonly understood measures of importance and worldwide relevance, like landmass, population, culture, etc., people here would not have the attention span to follow and post in such a heterogenous collection of topics.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/investigations/michael-rubin-signaled-sedat-peker-plot-against-turkey-in-2016 posted:

An article dating back to 2016 that was penned by former Pentagon adviser Michael Rubin, a man who knew of an imminent Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ) coup plot five years ago, is back in the spotlight. Rubin is an American neocon scholar at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), a fierce advocate of the terrorist group, and he apparently signaled the current plot by mob boss Sedat Peker back in October 2016. Peker, believed to be in Dubai now after fleeing Turkey where he is wanted on charges of running an organized crime gang, made headlines for a series of videos he posted in which he fired up allegations against politicians, particularly Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu. Authorities have slammed Peker’s claims as slander and defamation as the mob boss has failed to produce any evidence for his allegations.

Rubin’s article confirms Turkish officials’ concerns that Peker’s defamation campaign might be the work of anti-Turkey circles, including FETÖ, which seeks to destabilize the country. The article mentions a new “coup on the horizon” against the government, this time courtesy of Peker whom Rubin describes as Turkey’s “most powerful mafioso.” He says that the question remains whether the Turkish mafia and “deep state” would tolerate competition with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and asks, “If there is a showdown, will it be violent?” He portrays Peker as a “deep state” figure and points out that he had connections to some politicians “to place a figurehead in the presidential palace” if Erdoğan is “assassinated.” The article bluntly concludes that Erdoğan is “a dead man walking.”

Turkish media outlets say that Rubin’s article was actually the first sign of a plot to topple Erdoğan hatched five years ago but shelved after Democrats in the United States, endorsed by FETÖ whose leader lives in Pennsylvania, lost the presidential election. The Peker plot resurfaced again after U.S. President Joe Biden took office, Turkish media says. In a video that surfaced last year, Biden, then a candidate, said he would seek a regime change in Turkey and expressed his willingness to work with "opposition leadership" in the country to topple Erdoğan in Turkey's 2023 elections. “We can support those elements of the Turkish leadership that still exist and get more from them and embolden them to be able to take on and defeat Erdoğan. Not by a coup, not by a coup, but by the electoral process,” he said. An article on the A Haber website says that a plot is afoot through Peker, who resides in United Arab Emirates which they describe as a “financier of 2016 coup attempt.”

The Turkish news report also mentions that the mob boss’s allegations are similar to those by FETÖ-linked police chiefs and prosecutors against the government during the terrorist group’s 2013 coup attempt.

Peker himself had denied Rubin’s allegations in one of his notorious videos while Rubin responded to him by saying “stop whining.”

Erdoğan last month voiced his support for Soylu in the face of Peker’s allegations. “We stood with our interior minister in his struggle against terrorist groups and criminal gangs. Our nation is aware of everyone who supports terrorist groups, criminal gangs and enemies of Turkey,” Erdoğan said in an address to the members of the ruling Justice and Development (AK Party). Erdoğan stated that the “true intention” of the videos was obvious as they also targeted the son of “our friend,” former Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım, pointing to a plot against top officials as Turkey stepped up its fight against organized crime and terrorism.

Michael Rubin is known for his staunch stance against President Erdoğan and in 2019, he suggested that Erdoğan would "end up being exiled, imprisoned or executed," in an article for the Washington Examiner. He also drew the ire of the Turkish public for his open support of FETÖ, and a number of Turkish lawyers filed a lawsuit against Rubin over the matter.

He had suggested that a coup was imminent in Turkey four months before FETÖ's attempt, though he later argued that it was "engineered" by Erdoğan, a view shared by the terrorist group's supporters seeking asylum abroad with their false narrative of being victims of a "purge." Although he was anti-FETÖ when the group posed as a religious charity movement in the past, he became an advocate for them on social media, while a former FETÖ member claimed that Rubin personally visited the group's leader Fetullah Gülen in the latter's retreat in Pennsylvania in 2015. Rubin is also in close contact with Ahmet Sait Yayla, a fugitive former police chief linked to the terrorist group.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trump should have done this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I've heard Turks make that same argument. In good company when you start saying insane poo poo like that.

it’s similar with Holocaust deniers — “we didn’t do a genocide.... but we hate you and what If [We] Did It?”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Turkish can overlap with a pretty wide range of other ethnic identities, and certainly with political stances that oppose the national ideology in Turkey.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PawParole posted:

sounding kinda like a gbs China poster mate

everything in the post you quoted is fact.
I am from Turkey and have been through its school system and know way too much about Ataturk and had a couple posters around the house until my 20s, and it’s not at all out of place for anyone to have several hanging in their homes.

I and millions of other children are made to bleat out poems in the rain commemorating his death in November

Most of us embrace it fully. I still feel sadness because as a child the things you were told about him made him seem like some kind of superhero who embodies all these virtues etc. will I ever replace this great man-shaped hole in my heart :(

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Jun 29, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

please make this technology work on Erdogan. tia

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

It’s literally named after Istanbul

quote:

The Istanbul Convention, negotiated in Turkey's biggest city and signed in 2011, committed its signatories to prevent and prosecute domestic violence and promote equality.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

beef mostly these days. mix of beef and lamb sometimes, like kofte. kebab is actually a fairly recent thing, the steam jacks were basically rotisserie’s, it would be a big goat haunch originally I’m sure.

to this day, if you’re involved with the right family, they’ll send you some of the latest goat kill by airmail from Van.

beef is pedestrian and boring next to lamb and goat. also in cheese.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

please do not ever hand it to Turkey

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Goast posted:

they probably could if they tried

rip paul soccer Jan 5, 2020 - Oct 26, 2021 they made a very dumb post

it’s fine if you think Al Saqr is evil or shortsighted or whatever, but he posts better than you do and has interesting things to say.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Goast posted:

im sorry that you find lies interesting

quote:

im sorry that you find lies and liberals equivocating anti-imperialism to nazis interesting

nice edit, weirdo who has never found lies interesting (as though Donald Trump isn’t interesting). Al saqr is interesting and memorable with a unique perspective within the forums, you’re someone I’ve never heard of who’s on a silly moral crusade in a single C-SPAM thread.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

IAMKOREA posted:

Al saqr loving sucks and is basically a boring as gently caress d&d liberal supporter of us imperialism, the fact he's sucking from the teat of the Saudi welfare state while supporting various Wahhabist terrorist groups is hardly interesting.

however abhorrent his views may be, they’re way more interesting and relevant than your thoughts as a European or American who, chances are, can’t even speak a language other than English and middle-school French.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if this thread were about Cuba it would be preferable to have a few gusano posters instead of tedious liberals determined to keep the thread boring.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you’re welcome. always glad to keep things interesting for the Middle East watchers working from home.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

After the stabbing, the victim pushed Nikoubin off of him and ran out of the room to call 911, police said. Nikoubin also ran out of the room, telling a hotel employee that she had just stabbed a man, according to the arrest report.

When talking to police, Nikoubin told an investigator “she wanted revenge.” She said she had listened to a song called “Grave Digger,” which “gave her the motivation … to carry out her revenge.”

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there has got to be some intersection of Islamic banking and crypto with incredible people involved

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s gone

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Goldman thinks it will move higher.

gently caress me

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

i negotiated my rent for the next year to only be 20% higher than my original 2.5k/mo lease and my dipshit landlord jumped at it because hes an erdogan fanboy who thought the inflation was "under control".
was checking other places in Gulbag and they're all like 5-6k lira a month now

$200? I really should just move back home and pretend to be working from Seattle. it’s so boring I might die.

nice deal :trumppop:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I mean it's still Gulbag. I get weird poo poo from the Turks for living there, but I'm foreign so I'm allowed to be weird and live in a cheap neighborhood plopped right on top of the metro lines and walking distance to Besiktas/Nisantasi

it’s not a bad place to live and it’s close to everything. the main thing is the traffic and pollution that you’re getting everywhere anyway. some people call it hell though:

right by trump, too!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1515997338824757249?s=20&t=ghcRLLX8eZqkdLgowti3kw
New special operation going on

there's a separate Palestine thread tbf

I wonder if they’ll make as many cartoons this time around or if they’ll be too busy with other poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this is a normal day in Turkey

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this though … he was a lib but he’s our lib :mad: https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1518627951230787587?s=21&t=56OKRmHiPHz4Z-273irReg

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

mt lebanon PA is the middle east

it is hilarious to me there are places in America named like Paris and Bethlehem and Moscow but also Uranium Flats and Bowling Green

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol https://twitter.com/ahval_en/status/1519581462122573824?s=21&t=HRpWcJLZZr9ziDEsrn4q_g

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmao https://twitter.com/ahval_en/status/1519942828142456832?s=21&t=HRpWcJLZZr9ziDEsrn4q_g

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

former PM thousand-ali yıldırım :sickos:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weka posted:

So Saudi Arabia has recently
Looked at selling oil in yuan.
Declared a ceasefire in Yemen.
Started mending ties with Turkey.

That's a fair bit of change.

if your partner did this what would you think?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

Ukraine war stuff, but I assume this is the thread more interested in Turkey, or at least more like to double check if this tweet is true.

https://twitter.com/TurkishFacts4U/status/1508339037056409603

this is from March 28 and no response to the person asking for source. maybe this happened but there’s nothing to make me think it did other than someone who calls the country Turkiye online which is the mark of a tryhard akp çomar

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OhFunny posted:

Mali's junta breaks off from defence accords with France

Nothing really to say except the trajectory of Frano-Mali relations continues downward.

you left something pretty interesting out of the quote

quote:

France has not so far issued an official reaction to the junta's announcement.

- Growing tensions -

Tensions between France and the junta in Mali, which seized power in August 2020, had been rising for some time.

The agreements Mali has ended were those that set the framework for France's intervention in Mali in 2014.

They were signed a year after French troops deployed a large force to help Mali's armed forces stop a jihadist offensive there.

France's relationship with Mali cooled as the junta resisted international pressure to set a timetable for a swift return to democratic, civilian rule.

Paris has also objected to the regime's rapprochement with the Kremlin.

Both France and the United States have accused mercenaries from the Kremlin-linked security firm Wagner of deploying in Mali, where the junta claims the Russians are just military instructors helping to restore order.

Vast swathes of Mali lie beyond government control because of the jihadist insurgency, which began in 2012 before spreading three years later to neighbouring Burkina Faso and Niger.

The military junta seized power in the impoverished and landlocked Sahel state following protests over the government's handling of the war against the jihadists.

The conflict led to thousands of military and civilian deaths and forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee their homes.

The junta initially promised to restore civilian rule, but it failed to meet an earlier commitment to West African bloc ECOWAS to hold elections in February this year, prompting regional sanctions.

On Sunday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for a swift return to civilian rule in Mali, Guinea and Burkina Faso, all currently ruled by military regimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmfao gently caress that. ASCII or go home.