Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Tosho has a pre-order "sale" (not much of a sale, just to lock in older prices before next year) on Takeda knives.

https://www.toshoknifearts.com/en-us/pages/takeda

I'm tempted to get one of the cute smol knives. like come on:

https://www.toshoknifearts.com/en-us/collections/takeda-paring/products/nas-blue-super-br-mini-petit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lolcano Eruption posted:

How are you able to sharpen Japanese knives with that? Aren't they all 9-12 degrees per side? Looks like the minimum there is fifteen.

That is not true, 15 degrees or so is pretty common for Japanese knives. Western knives are historically around 20, although several years ago Wusthof changed their angles to 14 degrees. You need to find out the manufacturer angle (if you plan to keep it) for individual manufacturers and maybe even individual knives.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Those numbers are only ballpark anyway and will vary depending on the height of the knife. I set my angles with an angle cube and I could go shallower if I wanted to but I sharpen all my knives to 15 degrees.

Eventually trying to go shallower you’ll run into the situation where you’re “sharpening” the clamp holding the knife but I have an optional attachment that does away with that also (to a certain point)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: nevermind this was dumb and I am dumb. shovel hot coals into my anus, stuff me in a cannon and blast me off into s;pace

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 28, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got a christmas gift from my workplace, one of these. No idea if this is a quality blade or not, but eh free knife:
https://vinga.com/eu/produkter-2/knives-and-kitchen-accessories/p-16550-hattasan-damascus-santoku-knife?size=One%20Size&color=Silver

Seems to have a chisel edge, as in it's flat on one side and beveled on the other (a larger bevel and smaller bevel). Will be interesting to try and use one of those.

e: am left handed, this is for right handed, feh.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 21, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Santokus can never be quality blades. :colbert:

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got a christmas gift from my workplace, one of these. No idea if this is a quality blade or not, but eh free knife:
https://vinga.com/eu/produkter-2/knives-and-kitchen-accessories/p-16550-hattasan-damascus-santoku-knife?size=One%20Size&color=Silver

Seems to have a chisel edge, as in it's flat on one side and beveled on the other (a larger bevel and smaller bevel). Will be interesting to try and use one of those.

e: am left handed, this is for right handed, feh.

It's VG10 so it can't be terrible unless the heat treat or geometry is especially bad.

If it really is right biased, it's probably thin enough you can reprofile it to 50/50

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I cut some onions with it last night and eh it works well enough as is even left handed.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Any recommendations on an easy to use knife sharpener for my father in law that won't gently caress up his knives?

He was interested in the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but my understanding is that it's designed more for things like pocket and tool knives and would be difficult to use for an 8 inch chef's knife.

I'm trying find something that's easier to use than stones at a reasonable cost. I'm aware stones are the best home option and it is what I use for my own knives, but I'd like something simpler for him and stones might be overkill when he just has Mercer knives.

He does have a ceramic honing rod that I've given him, but I think his Mercers have been losing their edge more than the hone can fix on its own. He would be using this on an 8 inch chef and a 5 inch utility.

"Buy new knives" is also not going to be a helpful response as he purchased these in the past year.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I gave my parents my edgepro knockoff and they never use it. An electric pull through is probably best

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker works perfectly fine for chef knives

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bernal cutlery is having a "gently caress yeah friday" sale, looks like 20% off most items but definitely some brands are exempt (benchmade and steelport are two i've seen excluded so far)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dacap posted:

Any recommendations on an easy to use knife sharpener for my father in law that won't gently caress up his knives?

He was interested in the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but my understanding is that it's designed more for things like pocket and tool knives and would be difficult to use for an 8 inch chef's knife.

I'm trying find something that's easier to use than stones at a reasonable cost. I'm aware stones are the best home option and it is what I use for my own knives, but I'd like something simpler for him and stones might be overkill when he just has Mercer knives.

He does have a ceramic honing rod that I've given him, but I think his Mercers have been losing their edge more than the hone can fix on its own. He would be using this on an 8 inch chef and a 5 inch utility.

"Buy new knives" is also not going to be a helpful response as he purchased these in the past year.

Give some serious thought to the Work Sharp rolling sharpener. Need to do a bit of checking to see if it's suitable for your use case, but of the systems I own, it's the one I hate the least.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kenshin posted:

I finished this matching set about two months ago and it just went up for sale at Seattle Edge

blades are made from Baker Forge & Tool Sunset GoMai, handles are African blackwood, copper, and stabilized amboyna burl

If you don't mine my asking can you say how much they sold them for? Can also send me a PM if you don't want to share with everyone, or just tell me to frig off.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

If you don't mine my asking can you say how much they sold them for? Can also send me a PM if you don't want to share with everyone, or just tell me to frig off.

They haven't sold yet, but they are priced at $2200, which was what the shop owner believes they will eventually sell for.

As it's just my hobby I'm just following his advice, I'm not terribly concerned with whether they sell for that or not--I told him to knock $200 off the price for locals/regular customers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Finally had a chance to use my new Work Sharp knife sharpener (KEN ONION EDITION) and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Will likely be using it instead of whetstones in the future.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 18, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kenshin posted:

They haven't sold yet, but they are priced at $2200, which was what the shop owner believes they will eventually sell for.

As it's just my hobby I'm just following his advice, I'm not terribly concerned with whether they sell for that or not--I told him to knock $200 off the price for locals/regular customers.

I’d say that’s pretty on the mark. Definitely in line with their other prices. I was looking through their custom stuff (which is why I thought to ask) and at that price they’d definitely be at or near the top of my list.

They have so much amazing stuff there. It was like visiting Mecca.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I’d say that’s pretty on the mark. Definitely in line with their other prices. I was looking through their custom stuff (which is why I thought to ask) and at that price they’d definitely be at or near the top of my list.

They have so much amazing stuff there. It was like visiting Mecca.

I think you may be confusing Seattle Edge with Epicurean Edge--Seattle Edge is primarily a knife sharpening place that sells knives including some custom knives like mine. The owner also teaches sharpening classes.

Seattle Edge is located in the Ballard neighborhood.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ahhhh yes, you’re right. I’ve seen Seattle edge online but I’ve never been there.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Heya. I have a kinda specific question but don't know where else to go.

After years of casual search I managed to finally bag a new in box 9.X inch Miyabi birchwood SG2 Chef for $266 and it will be here in 4 days.

The thing is, I am not actually that sure what I bought? There are lots of websites saying that this knife is 9.5 inches, and a million others saying it's 9.

Could anyone settle this? There's no way they sell a 9.5 inch and a 9 inch, right? My assumption is that it's 9.5 inch, but is often categorized as a 9 inch blade because they just round it to 9? They are always the same MSRP ($399.99) which makes me pretty sure it's just one model that is being called different things.

:shrug: anyways thanks yall. I already bought it, and don't care about a half inch really, but the whole situation has me pretty confused and I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to receive when it gets here on sunday :dumb: I'm just amazed I finally got it.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 27, 2024

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Taima posted:

Could anyone settle this? There's no way they sell a 9.5 inch and a 9 inch, right? My assumption is that it's 9.5 inch, but is often categorized as a 9 inch blade because they just round it to 9? They are always the same MSRP ($399.99) which makes me pretty sure it's just one model that is being called different things.

Miyabi is a Zwilling brand and their official store page/spec sheet lists the blade length of the "9 inch" SG2 Chef's Knife as 9.45 inches, for whatever that's worth.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Taima posted:

After years of casual search I managed to finally bag a new in box 9.X inch Miyabi birchwood SG2 Chef for $266 and it will be here in 4 days.

The thing is, I am not actually that sure what I bought? There are lots of websites saying that this knife is 9.5 inches, and a million others saying it's 9.

Having multiple sizes of a given knife wouldn't be that weird, and 15mm (~0.6") is a plausible increment. But it doesn't look like Miyabi does that, and I also think they'd charge more for longer blades.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
You can wind up with different numbers if you include the unsharpened part between the edge and the handle, if you measure along the edge instead of down the middle, if you round up or down a little, etc. I wouldn't think about it too hard.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

What's funny about this is they go out of their way to say "9.00 inches" in the product choice selector, specifying to the hundredths of an inch for Reasons

Then you go to the specs below and they says the blade length is 9.45 inches :shrug:

I have no idea what's going on and the official site is not helping, lol

Nestharken posted:

You can wind up with different numbers if you include the unsharpened part between the edge and the handle, if you measure along the edge instead of down the middle, if you round up or down a little, etc. I wouldn't think about it too hard.

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Not gonna sweat a half inch either way; I ordered the knife after all.

e: I'm just going to assume that the specs tab is the most correct and go with 9.5. I'll measure that bish when it gets here on Sunday. I bought this knife because I wanted a longer chefs in my collection, so if it does end up being 9.5, that's a benefit to my collection needs. Cheers :cheers:

I think this concludes my collection, I'm not much for fancy customs.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 27, 2024

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I would like to get a fancy kitchen knife for a friend for their graduation, and have been trying to figure out what to get. They do not currently have nice knives despite being into cooking. They do generally like Japanese knives is my impression. It sounds like a Gyuto is probably the way to go there? I would also like to do like a commemorative engraving on the knife, and am wondering if it is a bad idea to do this on the blade/if there are things I should think about when choosing which knife to get based on that (e.g. materials?). (Also, are there certain materials I should stick with just for like not rusting?) I could also ofc just engrave the handle instead as long as it's wood.

I was trying to spend less than $200, but I'm not sure what a reasonable budget is. It sounds like a decent knife could be had for a lot less than that, but I'd really like it to be nice enough that they stick with it even later on once they start upgrading their own knives. I have been looking online at the brands recommended by the main equipment thread, and that seems about right, but am sort of overwhelmed by the options, so if y'all have any suggestions I would love to hear.

e: I was looking @ chef knives to go for actually buying it

tildes fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 17, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The profiles of chef knives can vary greatly depending on how they cut. Rocking vs push vs chop. You may want to figure out how they approach stuff

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

tildes posted:

I would also like to do like a commemorative engraving on the knife, and am wondering if it is a bad idea to do this on the blade/if there are things I should think about when choosing which knife to get based on that (e.g. materials?).
I highly doubt an engraving is going be a structural problem for the blade, but you could certainly etch it instead if it's a concern.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

tildes posted:

I would like to get a fancy kitchen knife for a friend for their graduation, and have been trying to figure out what to get. They do not currently have nice knives despite being into cooking. They do generally like Japanese knives is my impression. It sounds like a Gyuto is probably the way to go there? I would also like to do like a commemorative engraving on the knife, and am wondering if it is a bad idea to do this on the blade/if there are things I should think about when choosing which knife to get based on that (e.g. materials?). (Also, are there certain materials I should stick with just for like not rusting?) I could also ofc just engrave the handle instead as long as it's wood.

I was trying to spend less than $200, but I'm not sure what a reasonable budget is. It sounds like a decent knife could be had for a lot less than that, but I'd really like it to be nice enough that they stick with it even later on once they start upgrading their own knives. I have been looking online at the brands recommended by the main equipment thread, and that seems about right, but am sort of overwhelmed by the options, so if y'all have any suggestions I would love to hear.

e: I was looking @ chef knives to go for actually buying it

I would recommend sticking to stainless unless you know for sure they're prepared for taking care of carbon

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Taima posted:

What's funny about this is they go out of their way to say "9.00 inches" in the product choice selector, specifying to the hundredths of an inch for Reasons

Then you go to the specs below and they says the blade length is 9.45 inches :shrug:

I have no idea what's going on and the official site is not helping, lol

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Not gonna sweat a half inch either way; I ordered the knife after all.

e: I'm just going to assume that the specs tab is the most correct and go with 9.5. I'll measure that bish when it gets here on Sunday. I bought this knife because I wanted a longer chefs in my collection, so if it does end up being 9.5, that's a benefit to my collection needs. Cheers :cheers:

I think this concludes my collection, I'm not much for fancy customs.

I think this probably has to do with how you measure the blade.

Wa handle knives are often measured from the handle to tip, but there's a gap from the handle to the start of the cutting edge. Depending on the construction and how far the tang is inserted into the handle there's a discrepancy between the blade length as measured from the handle to tip compared to the length of the actual cutting edge.

Edit: It might be more accurate to say machi/no macchi and if it has machi the measurement is machi to tip. A knife with no machi is measured heel to tip.

The Miyabi is kind of a hybrid handle, but it looks more similar to a wa handle, where there's a gap between the end of the handle where the bolster is to the start of the cutting edge at the heel. I think the bolster to blade tip is probably 9.5 inches and the cutting edge is 9 inches.
The other lengths seem to be shorter in the spec sheet length than the model length, only the 9 inch model is longer in the spec length, so maybe my guess is wrong. My other guess is that it's a common blade sizes conversion thing.

On yo handle knives the heel starts very close to the handle so the overall blade length from the end of the handle to the tip and cutting edge length are closer/same in measurement.

Scott808 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 18, 2024

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have no concerns about engraving in terms of structural integrity -- note that I am not a metallurgist and have no expertise in this -- but if it's more than cosmetically deep (I assume this is what FFT was talking about regarding etching) I would worry about it making the knife more difficult to clean.

As far as what knife to get, knives can be pretty personal, so they can be hard to give as gifts. I would definitely stick with stainless. It's true that blade profiles can vary and it can affect the preferred technique (rocking vs. push-cutting), but generally Japanese knives will have less of a belly and be better for push-cutting and Western knives will have more belly and be better for rock-chopping, so if you think they want a Japanese knife then you are most likely in push-cutting territory.

If you are looking at a D-shaped handle, you need to know if they are right- or left-handed, so that the D conforms to their hand. My suggestion to you, a Shun Classic, has this kind of handle. (The pricing for the 8" chef's knife at Shun is slightly north of $200, but at a vendor like Williams-Sonoma it's still $170.) Your classic "rectangle with rivets" handle doesn't require a specific handedness. Yes, knife people think you can get better value for money, but Shuns are great knives, the brand has some prestige, and they are lookers. Shun will also sharpen your knives for free for the life of the knife, you just pay for shipping. You do have to buy from an actual dealer, not from Amazon or whatever.

You can get a solid knife for less than $100, but for gifting you really want it to look nice. The Tojiro DP line is often recommended as great value for money, but they are not known for great fit and finish.

guppy fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 18, 2024

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I AM a metallurgist (well I have a degree that says so anyway).

By far the more important thing for your knife is the force you put on it. Weak points along that plane are much more important than on a different plane. So the corner where your blade turns into the handle, that is a weak spot for your knife because of the force you're putting on it. Any engraving on the knife, unless you're putting a lot of uneven force on the flat of the blade, is pretty much meaningless.

edit: even then, engravings are very unlikely to introduce weak points large enough to harm your knife in normal use

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 18, 2024

Development
Jun 2, 2016

japaneseknifeimports can do intricate custom engraving, but yeah engraving is a thing on japanese knives. I am obsessed with michiko kubota's chisel engraving she does at sakai takayuki. https://www.instagram.com/michiko_knifeworks/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

guppy posted:

I have no concerns about engraving in terms of structural integrity -- note that I am not a metallurgist and have no expertise in this -- but if it's more than cosmetically deep (I assume this is what FFT was talking about regarding etching) I would worry about it making the knife more difficult to clean.

As far as what knife to get, knives can be pretty personal, so they can be hard to give as gifts. I would definitely stick with stainless. It's true that blade profiles can vary and it can affect the preferred technique (rocking vs. push-cutting), but generally Japanese knives will have less of a belly and be better for push-cutting and Western knives will have more belly and be better for rock-chopping, so if you think they want a Japanese knife then you are most likely in push-cutting territory.

If you are looking at a D-shaped handle, you need to know if they are right- or left-handed, so that the D conforms to their hand. My suggestion to you, a Shun Classic, has this kind of handle. (The pricing for the 8" chef's knife at Shun is slightly north of $200, but at a vendor like Williams-Sonoma it's still $170.) Your classic "rectangle with rivets" handle doesn't require a specific handedness. Yes, knife people think you can get better value for money, but Shuns are great knives, the brand has some prestige, and they are lookers. Shun will also sharpen your knives for free for the life of the knife, you just pay for shipping. You do have to buy from an actual dealer, not from Amazon or whatever.

You can get a solid knife for less than $100, but for gifting you really want it to look nice. The Tojiro DP line is often recommended as great value for money, but they are not known for great fit and finish.

^^^^ all solid advice. In terms of a functional cutting tool, you can't do much better than the $40 Victorinox that everyone always recommends without spending a *lot* more, so anything beyond that is going towards things like aesthetics and fancier handle materials. The Shun does a good job of looking and feeling like a fancy knife, and FWIW, its blade profile is actually more European despite the Japanese styling.