Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim

Scott808 posted:

Is this a random brand stone which are found all over Amazon?

Sorry, forgot i posted in this thread. Its a Vogue brand - friend who ran a kitchen at a masons lodge (i.e. virtually unlimited kitchen budget with gently caress all oversight - why yes, i would like a 2kg log of wagyu eye fillet and a whetstone for free) gave it to me as a present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

Jose posted:

i hit the tip of my tojiro ITK santoku against my honing rod and it snapped off

at least it wasn't a tortilla chip.

Get some sandpaper to grind out a new tip from the spine down.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

ME BOSS
YOU NOT

What kind of knife is this that Brad Leone uses? I've seen some large cleavers or butcher knives that look close but they all seem to have a more curved edge.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Looks like one of the Almazan Kitchen knives, or similar.

https://youtu.be/0belIwAzgIM

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

He mentions that specific knife is an out of production model in one of the videos I think.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got a double sided whetstone, one side is 1000 grit, the other is 6000. They are not labeled but one side feels more... not rough exactly but more friction. Am I correct that side is the 1000 and the smoother is the 6000?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

I'm here to kiss tittiess and win football games!

Pillbug

Lower number = rougher surface

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

I bought a thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Is $383.33 good for two used Tomishin knives? A 210 and 150mm

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

Dunno but those handless are full metal I think.

totalnewbie posted:

I bought a thing.

Nice!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Just get an oyster shell and make your own knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyIS0k_ozQ

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Is $383.33 good for two used Tomishin knives? A 210 and 150mm

Those look a lot like Brietos under another label. Seems like the core steel is the ubiquitous unspecified "Mo-V" steel.

If these are the two knives (210mm gyuto, 150mm petty)
http://www.tomishin.jp/products/det...?product_id=119
http://www.tomishin.jp/products/det...?product_id=127
then they're about $376 new for both.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Good to know, thanks. If Iím reading that right, the steel has 63 layers? Cause thatís what my friendís knife has

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005
I plan to live forever.... So far so good!

Can someone suggest to me a 1000/6000 stone? I've never sharpened a knife before and my knives are stupidly dull. I can literally press my thumb on my knives up and down the blade and not be cut. Amazon would be great.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kuromaku-C...ds=shapton+1000

https://smile.amazon.com/Houcho-com...s=kitayama+8000

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

drat that poo poo is pricey. Do you think it's a good idea for me to start off with something so high?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

You could try ordering from amazon.co.jp but I'm not sure how much international shipping will cost you. I got a Shapton 320, 1000, and the Kitayama 8000 for about 90 bucks total, not including shipping.

If you've got nice knives then you might as well spring for stones because you only buy them once, basically.

Or, you could get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri...r/dp/B004HIZKHE

Or just get one of the cheap pull-through sharpeners. Not great for your knives and they don't get all that sharp, but they are much cheaper.

edit: Forgot to mention, you could probably do okay with just a 1000. If it's really that dull, maybe you want a coarser stone as well, but generally a 1000 edge is good enough for cooking.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2018 around 06:58

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Good to know, thanks. If Iím reading that right, the steel has 63 layers? Cause thatís what my friendís knife has

Yeah, that's what it says.

obi_ant posted:

drat that poo poo is pricey. Do you think it's a good idea for me to start off with something so high?

You asked earlier in the thread about a stone to practice on "crappy kitchen knives" and you just said you've never sharpened before. IMO start off with cheap but good quality and figure out if you even want to commit time to learning the skill before you go off buying more expensive stuff (and possibly getting frustrated, quitting, and not using it).

I think a good inexpensive starting point is something like a Norton Crystolon or Norton India.

They're inexpensive and you can still get a quite sharp edge off of them - certainly sharp enough to make your arms hairless and cut newspaper.

And if you decide you want to go further into sharpening they still work just fine for doing grunt work like restoring chipped off tips or establishing a new edge on a very dull knife.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Lower number = rougher surface

That's what I figured, just wanted to sanity check. Found a nice lovely knife to practice on before I risk my good ones, time to learn.

This is the 1000/6000 stone I got, it was the one recommended on Junskitchen's knife video and I figured he knows what he's doing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

King 1k is aok but I've yet to use their 6k

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

This bevel that people talk about when moving to one side to the next is so hard to feel, I literally have to close my eyes and move across so slowly. My knives are getting sharper, but not nearly close enough to cutting hair. Does the high grit make it sharper? Like 1k to 6k to 8k?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yes, though 6k to 8k is probably not noticeable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

I'm here to kiss tittiess and win football games!

Pillbug

Stainless Steel Butcher Knife $11 Shipped - by LuxDecor

Is this any good? Good enough to be babby's first butcher knife? Or should I run far far away?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It doesn't hurt to have a 9$ beater but imho just swing by an Asian grocer for your first. I'd also not trust an ambiguous steel hacking at bone but it's probably Chinese 304a or w/e tool steel.

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

what's the best option for an inexpensive chinese cleaver these days? namaste

Whalley
Mar 5, 2004

neato devito

BraveUlysses posted:

what's the best option for an inexpensive chinese cleaver these days? namaste
I use this one daily: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HESNR8/

I know it's technically not the best knife in the world, but it holds an edge for ages, has nice balance, is sturdy as hell, and costs less than some burritos.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

SubG made a bunch of posts about cheap chinese cleavers earlier this year.

I got this one (SBZ 210-1) that's $23 at Aliexpress and it's been great so far. They have a huge selection of similar Chinese knives that are pretty solid for the price.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of !

Ror posted:

SubG made a bunch of posts about cheap chinese cleavers earlier this year.

I got this one (SBZ 210-1) that's $23 at Aliexpress and it's been great so far. They have a huge selection of similar Chinese knives that are pretty solid for the price.

Just grabbed one of these too ended up being less than with a coupon. Had been eyeing a CCK for a long time but couldn't stomach the price increase. Looking forward to it showing up in a couple weeks after I've forgotten about it and being surprised. You're welcome future me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Victorinox 8" chefs knife is $30 on amazon right now.

«10 »