Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

nah, they hosed up the steel in the first batch. my Wusthof has been handling garlic-smashing for 15 years.

unless you also think the tortilla chip guy was wrong, in which case I cede the floor
If you have a knife with a thick spine then sure, but if you're using anything lightweight then you'll can start putting bends in the knife over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

djfooboo posted:

I think I will choose the benringer as Asians know small cut veggies best. Thanks!

the benrier is good for slicing but awful for juliannening/shredding. simply unusable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Platystemon posted:

I got my Shibazi 210-1 this week. Thanks for the recommendation, SubG.

It came with an edge ground on one side only. This is apparently a thing with them. It didn’t seem like a good idea to me, and aside from whatever is going on at the Shibazi workshop, single bevels do not seem to be common in Chinese knives, so I put a new, symmetrical edge on it. I would have been a little annoyed if I didn’t have to tools to do that easily, but I did, so whatever. I may have gone a little acute on the angle. It’s about seventeen degrees, which makes for a bevel almost three millimetres tall.

Anyway, there were no fit and finish issues other than that. The steel took a good edge and felt good while doing it. It was reasonably reactive at first, but I put a patina on it that seems to be holding up even after chopping a bunch of lemons in preparation for candying their peels.
Cool.

If my S210-1 came with a single bevel edge I didn't notice it, but the first thing I do after taking a new knife out of the box is put a stone to it and I pretty much always expect to have to reprofile, so maybe that's it.

The other cleanup work I remember doing is just scrubbing the blade in soap and water to take off any blacking that wanted to come off anyway (so it wouldn't end up in the food later) and then slicing a couple onions and wiping but not rinsing the blade after.

Kenshin posted:

If you have a knife with a thick spine then sure, but if you're using anything lightweight then you'll can start putting bends in the knife over time.
I'm trying to imagine how you're crushing garlic if you're bending your knives doing it. Are you like, I dunno, putting the tip on the board and then hitting the knife between the tip and where the garlic is? When I crush garlic with a knife the knife is never in contact with the cutting board and I have no idea how I'd bend the knife doing it even if I tried.

BraveUlysses posted:

the benrier is good for slicing but awful for juliannening/shredding. simply unusable.
I have not had trouble using my Benriner to julienne. What's the problem you've been having?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SubG posted:

I'm trying to imagine how you're crushing garlic if you're bending your knives doing it. Are you like, I dunno, putting the tip on the board and then hitting the knife between the tip and where the garlic is? When I crush garlic with a knife the knife is never in contact with the cutting board and I have no idea how I'd bend the knife doing it even if I tried.
I'm not, because I don't use a knife to crush garlic. I got that advice from a book by a kitchen knife expert. I also make kitchen knives.

You may just have thick knives.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a 13 year old Shun which is pretty thin and I’ve been hammering garlic with it since I got it. It’s fine.

I also use my bench scraper which is thinner and softer than a knife and it’s also not bent.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you're not crushing your garlic with a meat tenderizer I don't know what to tell you.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Seems like we should write to Hydraulic Press Channel and settle the matter once and for all.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The best way to cut garlic is to eat it whole

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Slice it super thin with a razor blade, it'll dissolve in the pan with a little oil

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I focus my mental energies and crush it with my mind, but you do you

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SubG posted:

What sort of knives are you using? Something like a VG-10 Masamoto or Tojiro I think it would be pretty difficult to damage a blade by crushing garlic but something like a Yoshikane SKD it's pretty easy to imagine it happening

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BraveUlysses posted:

You mean the vertical blade inserts it comes with? I use them a lot and they work pretty well for me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

If you're not crushing your garlic with a meat tenderizer I don't know what to tell you.

Vegetable cleaver. The only thing I worry about is accidentally catching my fingers on the board somehow. It's perfect and large and flat and if you catch it cleanly it will just paste it. It's very satisfying.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This will likely interest this thread:
https://greenbergwoods.com/hand-forged-kitchen-knives/

This guy mainly is a supplier of stabilized woods to knifemakers (which is why I was on his website, gonna get some amboyna burl for some knives I'm working on), but:

quote:

This is a little different than what I normally do. For this project, I worked with a small, family run blacksmithing shop in the far Western mountains of China. They have been forging knives for over 350 years, and have never sold the knives outside of China, and infact the knives are not often sold outside of the Western regions. I had a lot of help translating to put together what we would make.

The result are these, the Lua Shan Dao, or Green Mountain knife line. These are all no frills, well made knives with a focus on what matters most, thin grinds, excellent heat treats and balanced design.

These knives are designed to be the best value possible, with hard, sharp edges and great geometry. Fit and finish is fine, but rough edges and scratches are present. I think these knives would make a great holiday gift, with a little clean up, a sharpening and perhaps a new handle. These knives can also very easily be converted into a hidden tang knife, as the whole tang is very soft iron that can be cut or ground very quickly.
The prices run from about $75-135.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kenshin posted:

I'm not, because I don't use a knife to crush garlic. I got that advice from a book by a kitchen knife expert. I also make kitchen knives.

You may just have thick knives.
Nah, I routinely use e.g. a Moritaka and a Takeda that are both around 2mm at the thickest.

bird with big dick posted:

What sort of knives are you using? Something like a VG-10 Masamoto or Tojiro I think it would be pretty difficult to damage a blade by crushing garlic but something like a Yoshikane SKD it's pretty easy to imagine it happening
According to the internet a 210mm Yoshikane SKD gyuto is 3.8mm thick at the heel, and that's thicker than e.g. any of the beater Chinese cleavers I use.

I mean seriously: is this a thing anyone has actually seen happen, and if so in what circumstances. Or is this just something people hear about from their uncles who are knifemakers at Nintendo? Because if you're holding the blade parallel to the cutting board then the only way you're bending it is if it's somehow or other bending around the garlic and holy hell I want to know what you're doing if you can make that work.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I was travelling across the eastern USA and stopped at a knife store out in the country. The worker sold me this Swiss made Victorinox. He said it was the most popular kitchen knife in the world. He at first tried to sell me the biggest one but I thought the next size down would do just fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard of people breaking knives when crushing garlic, never bending them, though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you crush with the handle able to hit the board or counter that's how poo poo gets broke. Or generally if the knife bow to stern spine to tip isn't parallel.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's no reason to crush garlic with your knife to begin with, it's basically sabering champagne

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
not pulverizing it, but cracking the skins and crushing it a bit. I mean, that's how Jacques Pepin recommends doing it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard of people breaking knives when crushing garlic, never bending them, though.

Where on earth are you applying force when you crush garlic? I can't imagine breaking a knife there crushing garlic as I apply all my force directly over the garlic itself. Are you slamming the blade down on the garlic or something?'

maybe not "you" but "people"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Actually I am remembering someone who told me this: the local knife sharpening shop guy, during the class I took. He said that many knives he takes in have warps/bends toward one side from years of users using the same side to smash garlic.

So if you're doing it rarely or you're using the spine instead of the flat it probably isn't going to hurt anything, but if you're smashing garlic every day...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Blade sharpening question

I have an assortment of decent knives now and whetstone grits 400/1000/6000 available to me. I am trying to sharpen both my kitchen knives and some woodworking chisels, but I think I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something about it and I would like someone to explain to me in plain terms what I am trying to physically accomplish regarding the very tip of the blade. I can get a flat bevel, but I think I'm loving up the burr or something? Basically every sharpening explanation I find shows what you're supposed to *do* with the metal and the whetstone, but I am having difficulty getting a solid answer to connect both how and why you want to do these things, and how it works.

Basically (assuming a flat grind for the sake of simplicity) the idea I have is you get the bevel of the blade good and in doing that, you generate a burr, which is in essence an untrue piece of metal hanging off the edge, which you should remove because although it feels very sharp, it will roll over back onto the edge and make it less sharp. When it comes to removing that burr, I've seen things say to move up to higher grits and polish, and I've also seen things say to finish the edge by gently grinding the edge on the whetstone lengthwise along the blade.

I can get *decent* edges, but I'm not satisfied, and I feel like it's a lack of understanding. Anyone wanna correct my understanding here or point me in the direction of a thorough and good sharpening explanation?

Also have any of you tried those inexpensive Daovua knives from chefknivestogo? They look like a great value to me and I really like the shape of the bunka

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Have you seen the Science of Sharp’s pages? They’re illustrated with micrographs showing what the edge looks like after various processes, showing what works and how.

See also the links in the first couple of paragraphs.

signalnoise posted:

Also have any of you tried those inexpensive Daovua knives from chefknivestogo? They look like a great value to me and I really like the shape of the bunka

They are greatly overpriced for what they are. CKTG imports them and adds a large markup, and they don’t do their own quality control to justify it. They ship out some real lemons. I think they’ll return and replace, but even if you got a good one, it’s still not going to be that great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SubG posted:

According to the internet a 210mm Yoshikane SKD gyuto is 3.8mm thick at the heel

its super fat initially but tapers very rapidly. I wouldn't use it to crush garlic.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Platystemon posted:

Have you seen the Science of Sharp’s pages? They’re illustrated with micrographs showing what the edge looks like after various processes, showing what works and how.

See also the links in the first couple of paragraphs.

They are greatly overpriced for what they are. CKTG imports them and adds a large markup, and they don’t do their own quality control to justify it. They ship out some real lemons. I think they’ll return and replace, but even if you got a good one, it’s still not going to be that great.

What a shame, also thanks for the link! This is pretty much exactly what I wanted

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Actually I am remembering someone who told me this: the local knife sharpening shop guy, during the class I took. He said that many knives he takes in have warps/bends toward one side from years of users using the same side to smash garlic.

So if you're doing it rarely or you're using the spine instead of the flat it probably isn't going to hurt anything, but if you're smashing garlic every day...
...nothing happens.

I mean if you don't want to do it yourself, cool. But this is something that I have done literally tens of thousands of times and I'm not particularly graceful or dexterous or anything and I have not seen this thing that you're confidently telling me somebody else told you happens. I mean I'm not trying to argue literally nobody has ever damaged a knife crushing garlic because I'm sure somebody has managed to damage at least one kitchen knife in virtually every way imaginable, just because of the number of them out there and the number of times they're used. But given that it's such a common kitchen task if it was actually so dangerous you'd expect to find some firsthand accounts of it actually happening.

bird with big dick posted:

its super fat initially but tapers very rapidly. I wouldn't use it to crush garlic.
Your prerogative. But if a thinner Chinese cleaver made of cheaper, softer steel that's larger in both directions (and therefore presumably with a larger bending moment produced by the same motions) doesn't bend, then it's difficult to extrapolate this into concern for a thicker blade made out of stronger, harder steel.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Also as we’ve been over with the tortilla chip knife chip, kitchen knives don’t really bend. Hardening steel comes at the expense of ductility. Kitchen knives chip and crack, they don’t bend.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Chemmy posted:

Also as we’ve been over with the tortilla chip knife chip, kitchen knives don’t really bend. Hardening steel comes at the expense of ductility. Kitchen knives chip and crack, they don’t bend.

depends on the steel. I will repeat my horror story of dropping a Wusthof point-down on concrete. it bent and I cried, but neither of us broke

e:

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 10, 2021

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Chemmy posted:

This is not entirely true. It depends on the steel, how it was heat treated, and repeated bending in the same direction over time.

Most common stainless steels will start doing this over time while a properly heat treated high carbon knife is better at retaining its shape.

EDIT: I just asked my knifemaking mentor about this and he says it mostly has to do with where people put the pressure on the blade while they are crushing garlic, and since most people have terrible knife skills and don't think about that, that's why they bend their knives. I.e. push down directly on the garlic, don't bend your knife

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 10, 2021

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't really know if people know these things or if they're entirely germane to the current discussion but I figured I'd throw these out there in case there's any misconceptions for people thinking about this kind of stuff:

1. Elastic deformation. We all know that if you bend metal far enough, it plastically deforms and doesn't go back to the original shape. While you may know in the back of your mind, there is also an amount of force you can apply to metal when there is elastic deformation - it means that it 100% returns to its original shape. How much stress can be applied and stay in the elastic deformation region is called the yield strength. A hardened piece of steel, though, will have low elastic deformation before yielding but there is some.

2. Fatigue. Everyone also knows that if you bend something metal back and forth, eventually it will break. This is called fatigue. But, for some metals like steel, there is an amount of stress you can apply under which fatigue does not happen. This is called the fatigue or endurance limit. Some metals, like aluminum, do not have a fatigue limit and fatigue occurs at all stress levels, though cycles may be very, very high at low stress.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Whole lot of examples of failures being given here in this thread with absolutely no pictures or evidence or actual examples being cited. I’m open to being proven wrong but properly hardened steel generally is basically indifferent to the force a person can generate outside of very small thickness samples. Nobody is cracking their knives in fatigue, either, you’d have to smack something on the order of 10,000 cloves of garlic just right to start considering a low cycle fatigue failure.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I doubt the garlic is the culprit. It’ll be the blade nearest the spine that would bend/break if you’re leaving the handle over the board. If you’re just smashing garlic no problem unless you create a lever instead of leaving the blade flat through the handle/tang.

This is the kitchen knife version of PEBCAK.

Just don’t smack and bend your knife at the same time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Lawnie posted:

Whole lot of examples of failures being given here in this thread with absolutely no pictures or evidence or actual examples being cited. I’m open to being proven wrong but properly hardened steel generally is basically indifferent to the force a person can generate outside of very small thickness samples. Nobody is cracking their knives in fatigue, either, you’d have to smack something on the order of 10,000 cloves of garlic just right to start considering a low cycle fatigue failure.

I generally agree. I just don't know what assumptions people like to make based on things they think they know (but don't) so I thought I'd head that off.

Like I said earlier, apply force directly over the garlic. Honestly no idea how people are destroying their knives crushing garlic if the knife isn't 1) totally flawed or 2) it isn't just user error.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I snapped my Misen in fact smashing garlic. It was a super weird feeling let me tell you.

Carillon posted:

Whelp so much for the vaunted Misen knife lol. I was smashing garlic, old garlic too so it wasn't rock hard or anything.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Right, but that snapped it didn’t bend. That’s not a ductile failure.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
And as I recall there were some serious materials issues with those, weren't there?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah that's a straight up failed heat treat from the factory. That break was inevitable with any amount of bending. If you still have those pieces you'll be able to see the grain of the steel in the break--any larger grain structure or slight discolorations are signs of there being a problem with the heat treat process done on that knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Carillon posted:

I snapped my Misen in fact smashing garlic. It was a super weird feeling let me tell you.

I would love to get my hands on one of these fragments, just for curiosity’s sake. Does the fracture surface look like rock candy?