Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scott808 posted:

All level on the line that runs tip to heel as shown by the thin green line.

Green rectangle under the blade shows what a board would look like under the blade.

Sabatier
Shun Ken Onion
Tojiro DP 270mm
Sukenari 270mm

I don't see how that Shun is anywhere near the classic French profile.

I actually have and use that Shun Ken Onion on an (almost) daily basis. It took some getting used to, but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Isn't this like the third knife that has a stupid tapered handle like that? I seem to recall seeing at least one other.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Johnny Truant posted:

A friend of mine just got me a Chinese vegetable cleaver as a housewarming gift :bubblewoop: I have never used one before, so this will be my first Nice Knife. Is there anything I should know about it other than don't use it on bones?

I'm going to look into sharpening services in my city, but also probably investigate sharpening it myself - I have plenty of janky knives to practice on before I go to town on the cleaver. Friend said it was "a carbon blade" so... any recs on grit for a sharpening stone?

This is what I'd consider a basic, entry level sharpening setup.

https://wickededgeusa.com/products/generation-3-pro-new-2017-model

Pretty straightforward and it will get the job done. (Just kidding that's ridiculous)

The above set of advice is good - get a decent 2 sided sharpening stone. If you have a restaurant supply store that sells to the public you may be able to pick up a decent one locally, but check to make sure the stone is intact and free of damage - often those are handled pretty roughly during transit and I've seen them come out with gouges/chips in the stone, which can lead to chips or unevenly sharpened blades. 1000/3000 is a decent setup for carbon steel, it's sort of mid-level and will require that you sharpen your blades semi-regularly (depending on how much you use them, probably every 3-6 months). If you want to spend a bit more, getting a wider range of grit levels will allow for both a finer edge and make it easier to sharpen very dull blades. A setup like this will take care of just about anything you need within reason:

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-Whetstone-Non-slip-Flattening-Resistant/dp/B088FCJWJW/

The most important thing is technique - it's not difficult, but watch a couple videos and you'll get the hang of it.

Lastly, since you mentioned the knife is carbon steel - day to day care is a little bit different than your usual stainless knife. With any knife, you'll want to hand wash and dry it every time you're done with it, however with carbon steel you should oil it after drying. Carbon steel can and will rust - it's correctable if it happens, but this is a simple step. Any neutral food safe oil (i.e. not motor oil) will work. There are super fancy knife oils out there, but in my opinion they're a waste of money. Canola oil, vegetable oil are your best bets - olive oil can be used, but it also goes rancid over time, it's easier to just get into the habit of using a neutral cooking oil.

Edit: Lastly, whatever stone you get, read and follow the instructions, whether it says to use the stone with oil, dry, whatever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nephzinho posted:

I have a few oxo pairs that are somewhere between 5 and 10 years old that have functioned fine. About the only time I ever get frustrated with them is spatchcocking a turkey that isn't fully defrosted, and that isn't their fault.

I'm using an Oxo pair as well. My last Oxos died after about 8? years, but for < :20bux: I can't complain.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What's a good Chinese cleaver to get in the UK? I did see the CCK small cleaver mentioned in the OP but it's £80 now and that matches the comment that they've doubled in price. Is there any reason not to get a carbon steel one? I'm already hand washing and drying as soon as I'm done using it.

There's no reason not to get a carbon steel knife provided you're aware of it's behavior.

- Always wash/dry immediately after use. (already covered)
- Regular use will cause carbon steel to develop a patina. This can be removed with vinegar, metal polish, etc., but it's something you'll probably either enjoy (it doesn't affect performance!) or learn to live with. More info here.
- One downside of having "carbon steel" vs. a known alloy means that you won't know the actual hardness of the blade and how good the edge retention is until you've used it for awhile - so pay attention. Make sure you're honing it every time you use it, and keep a rough idea of when you first have to sharpen it (assuming it comes razor sharp out of the box).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kwolok posted:

I want a relatively cheap chef knife. My original chef knife got lost in a move. I also hated it because the edge didn't go the full length down the blade (it had like a stop at the back of the blade). So I would like a cheap full edge chef knife I can learn to sharpen with this 1000 grit whetstone I have.

I am talking pretty budget here but could go a bit more expensive but would like to save for a really nice knife once I have sharpening down in a few years.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Either of the above mentioned knives will work well for you, but I'll add a couple suggestions for down the line:

A - When it comes to buying a really nice knife, go to Sur La Table (or other high end kitchen store) and actually handle a bunch of knives to get an idea of what fits your hand well, what kind of weight you like, etc. In the realm of "nice chef's knives" there's a ton of variety and few outright bad choices - but there are plenty of choices that will be bad for you.
B - You can get by with a 1000 grit whetstone but you'll probably want to add a couple grit levels if you really want to get into sharpening. At the same time, the vast majority of home cooks are fine sharpening once or twice per year as long as you're good about using a honing steel every time you cook. That's not an endorsement of that specific hone, I don't get paid, blah blah blah - but ~$20 for a hone and using it for 30 seconds daily before you cook will massively reduce how often you need to sharpen your knife.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kwolok posted:

Do you have a good YouTube tutorial on this. Looking it up and it seems like there are a so many different pieces of advice on how to use these two things and I just want to be able to keep my knives decently sharp.

Like how do I know when I need to hone vs sharpen. But more so just how do I hone and strop correctly...

Stropping and honing accomplish the same thing - they straighten out and remove folds in a sharp blade. They will not sharpen a dull knife, however, they will help maintain an edge.

Generally speaking, I don't recommend stropping for kitchen knives - most of us don't keep an edge sharp enough for that to be useful (stropping is mostly done on straight razors). A honing steel accomplishes the same thing, and by virtue of being a harder material, will help correct problems that would be challenging or impossible with a strop. I hone my chef's knife basically every time I use it.

A ceramic rod is harder than steel. This is kind of a half measure between a honing steel and a whetstone - it will remove material, however it won't remove as much as a whetstone. It's also more difficult to control, as your general honing motion involves two dynamic surfaces (meaning you have your rod in one hand, knife in the other - neither one is stable). A whetstone is generally stable on a flat surface (counter, table, etc.) so you have more control. I don't particularly like ceramic rods, but that's a personal preference - the fact is, the vast majority of folks here aren't cooking enough to really wear out a knife in their lifetime if it's maintained, the biggest risk is getting lazy about maintenance. My preference is a honing steel and occasional sharpening with whetstones. If stropping and a rod works better for others, more power to them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I have a carbon steel chef's knife that I want to basically re-patina - it looks really funky for some reason, despite being careful to hand wash/dry it every time. any suggestions on products/processes to use for each step?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nephzinho posted:

Define funky.

Very splotchy and uneven - I'd rather have it be more even across the entire blade, not to mention I'm a little concerned about surface rust.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Scythe posted:

I’m annoyed at my current lovely knife storage solution, and miss the wall mounted magnetic bar from my old place but that’s not happening with the weird tiles on my kitchen wall.

Any recommended freestanding magnetic knife holders, ideally as small as possible?

(I’ll keep less-used knives in sayas in a drawer, this is just for the top 3-5 to be near my cutting board.)

Look up "magnetic knife stand" - there are a bunch of options out there.

Edit: I don't have a specific suggestion for one, I'm trying to figure out how to rearrange my own countertop to be more efficient currently before I buy one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I. M. Gei posted:

I've developed a knack for giving my dad gifts that he never knew he needed.until I buy them.

I just got him an 8" Zwilling Pro chef's knife for Father's Day and he can't believe how much better it is than the myriad >30-years-old Cutco knives he has. It has a great edge out of the box and cuts through meat and veggies like butter.

Are Zwilling Pro knives considered good? And what is the best old-person-friendly tool for sharpening them? My dad is not the kind of person who will ever use a whetstone, sharpening steel, or grinding belt, but a pull-through type sharpener might be something he'd use.

Zwilling Pro are great knives - they're in the quality range where fitting someone's hand/cutting style is more important than anything else, and where people get weird about santoku vs. chef's knife, Japanese vs. German, etc.

As for sharpening, you basically have 3 good options, in no particular order:

A - Pay someone to do it.
B - Do it for him, if you're close enough to do so (and comfortable doing it yourself).
C - Buy a kit like a Spyderco Sharpmaker or Lansky.

That said, strongly consider getting him a hone and showing him how to use it. Reinforce that it should be used regularly - ideally, every time he uses the knife. It takes <30 seconds and requires no cleanup, and will help maintain the edge so that the knife won't require sharpening as frequently.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FishBowlRobot posted:

Something to consider is how you like to cut things.

Flatter blade profiles (think nakiri) will be better for push cutting whereas knives with more of a belly/curve will be easier to rock chop with.

You might even consider getting a couple of different Kiwi brand knives. They’re usually cheap as hell and come in a variety of knife types (nakiri, cleaver, gyuto). You can play around to see which one you gravitate to the most. Can also use those to practice sharpening, then buy a nicer knife or knives based on your blade preference and the kind of cooking you do.

This is a great idea. An added bonus of having a couple extra, cheapo chef's knives around is that if/when other people are cooking with you, you can have them use the beater knives and not feel bad if they manage to damage it somehow.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The weirdest thing to me about the Global knives was how light they are. I don't want a heavy knife but a little heft is nice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Platystemon posted:

Yeah pretty much.

There are some situations where you may want a specific surface finish, but for kitchen knives and modern waterstones it doesn’t really matter.

Get wet/dry sandpaper and use it with water.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive modern waterstone? I have an old whetstone that I've been using for over a decade, but it's seeing some wear and tear from multiple moves. Nothing major, but if I can replace it without breaking the bank that would be nice. Kitchen knives only.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Democratic Pirate posted:

How are Made In knives regarded? They have an 8 in chef for $120 pre tax.

I cannot speak to their knives, but I do have a carbon steel pan and Dutch oven from them, both of which I'm very happy with. Their customer service is quite good as well - when I originally got my Dutch oven from them, there was a large chip in the enamel. They asked me for a photo of the damage, then sent me a paid shipping label and had me drop it off at UPS with no real hassle.

Can't review their knife specifically - but in general I've liked their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Twobirds posted:

My wife and I went on a long trip and send our knives out to be sharpened in the meantime through a local hardware store that specifically says they sharpen kitchen knives. This included two chef's knives and a carving knife (all three are Henckels or Wustof). They're a really helpful store otherwise, but they use an outside service for the work and whoever it was did a really bad job. They took off so much material unevenly that the edges is now wavy. To add insult to injury, they're no sharper than they were when we handed them over. Can these be saved by taking them to someone competent? They're not very expensive relative to some stuff I see in this thread, but we're trying to save for other projects and they kind of have sentimental value. We probably shouldn't have had them sent to someone we didn't vet first, but we've never had a problem with the store. I'm starting to think I should just learn to sharpen myself.

(We also have a pile of Cutco due to my mom going crazy for it years ago, and while they are definitely 'okay', Cutco sharpened our entire set for free - properly - and also replaced the stuff they couldn't sharpen, including our very abused kitchen shears.)

You can get cardboard sheathes or just make your own, we used painter's tape to make sure they stay in place during shipment. Just make sure the cardboard can't move on its own.

It sounds like they may need to be reprofiled if you're calling the edges "wavy." I would find someone local and competent to accomplish that, then decide if it's a service you want to keep paying for or if you'd rather learn how to sharpen.