Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Wroughtirony posted:

12" slicer: For the big meat. If you don't do big meat, you don't need this knife.

tl;dr: If you are buying your first knives, get the Victorinox chef knife and paring knife, then add to your collection as you see a need.

Hey Guys, I'm in the market for a solid meat slicing knife. We got a Wusthoff knife set for our wedding about 3 years ago. It came with a chef's knife, bread knife, a 6-7" knife I don't know the name of and an assortment of smaller knives (pairing to steak). Missing is a good meat slicing knife. The chef knife is about 8" long, but really it gets used for so many other things it gets dull pretty quick. Mainly I'd be using the meat knife for stuff like thick tri tips, ribeyes, prime ribs, etc. It'd be used maybe once or twice per month during BBQ season at least.

Wroughtirony how satisfied are you with the knife above? Do you find it holds an edge pretty well aside from regular honing?

I'm looking to stay under $100 fwiw.

:tia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

mindphlux posted:

if it gets dull, you're more in the market for a sharpening stone or knockoff edgepro than a "meat slicing knife" imo

I probably should get a sharpening stone just because. But I'm not a fan of the way the chef knife feels when I'm slicing. I do hone the knife at least every other use, and definitely before each time I cut meat. I'm sure the chef knife is dull as poo poo since we use it just about everyday on plastic, wood, and laminate (counter top) surfaces.

I also help at a fair amount of fundraisers where a group of us have to trim, and slice a few hundred chunks of meat. I think a nice slicer would hold up better in those situations.

So, with that said, what would you recommend as far as sharpening stones go?