Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Bought one of these per thread recommendation. Was getting a little tired of my nine-inch Tojiro gyuto and I had been admiring the one my chef at work has. Plus I only paid like $20 after the first-time-shopper $4 coupon aliexpress gives you.

Did some light chopping with it last night and was very pleased. As long as your knife-handling skills are adequate, you can just let the weight of the blade do the work and it mows through veggies in no time. I had no idea that my ideal knife was a big flat rectangle with an edge on one side. Put it away wet like a goddamn dingus and came back to find some rust on it this morning, so I scrubbed it off and gave it a light coat of vegetable oil and it's looking quite handsome. Worth noting these things are sharp as gently caress out of the box, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I can absolutely vouch for the Shi Ba Zi. I've had one for about a year now and it loving rules. I switch between it and a five-inch utility knife depending on the job.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Dunno why they'd call that a carving knife. Ordinarily there's a bit of a difference but that's definitely what most people would call a chef knife, and will work well for that purpose.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Skooms posted:

Does anyone have experience with Dao Vua knives? They're a Vietnam based company that a good friend of mine that's a professional food styler swears by.

edit: looking to buy one of their slicers. Seems like a great price.

https://bernalcutlery.com/collections/dao-vua

I have their tall petty knife as my daily driver. Dao Vuas are tough as poo poo, they might not come super sharp but they’re really sturdy.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
that’s a fuckin wakizashi dude, you can’t fool me