Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I was under the impression that the dishwashing detergent itself is typically abrasive enough that even without banging around it still dulls the edge exceptionally quickly, so unless those sheathy thingies stops the edge from actually being washed, it's still pretty bad for them.

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

BrianBoitano posted:

Just overpriced or also bad? I got an edge grain teak this Christmas.

Teak is really hard on knives because it grows in sandy soil and has very high silica content, sometimes it even picks up small pebbles or grains of sand and grows around them which can chip your knife.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

wormil posted:

Ah, the pictures gave the impression they were thick blades. So it's not a cleaver at all, it's a big square knife. That would be handy.

Yeah, they are like a heavy, straight edged chef's knife and excel at scooping up lots of stuff you just cut up and moving it to a pot or whatever, very useful.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

Ranter posted:

The amazon reviews I guess? Wondering if $280 is good value for 3 japanese steel knives. Am well aware of the sale/discount trick.

They are trash, "japanese steel" means nothing without saying what steel it is and how hard it is. You can get a set of 3 knives from an actual reputable brand for $130.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

Scott808 posted:

What are you referring to when you say belly? The belly is the curved part of the blade near the tip.

A gyuto (it is not "gyoto") is not any Japanese western style knife. There are some variations on the theme, but a 99% of the time gyuto means a double beveled western style chef knife.

Yeah, this. I have seen all sorts of profiles on gyutos, including ones with a gentle curve over the entire length of the blade.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

nervana posted:

How do you guys store your knives? knife block?

I use knife guards and store them in a drawer. Keeps the edges and my hands safe. Magnetic blocks are also an option but I don't have a good place to put one.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

mekilljoydammit already said it but yeah, any actual knife steel is magnetic enough to be used with magnetic knife holders, the only time I see austenitic steel used in good knives is if they are using cladding, but knives clad in soft steel are still magnetic enough to be used with magnetic knife holders because of the core steel that actually forms the edge of the knife is plenty magnetic enough on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

FordCQC posted:

This is a highly rated sharpener that's on sale at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-...uct_top?ie=UTF8

Anyone used this or a similar model? Would you recommend it?

Pull through sharpeners rip apart the edge of the knife, by mangling the edge it basically makes the knife finely serrated, but the knife will dull in a few minutes of use afterwards because the torn up edge breaks down very quickly. If you want something simple and hard to screw up I would go with a ceramic rod, though eventually any knife needs a proper resharpening.