Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

Let's start the thread with :can:. I use the dishwasher for our stainless knives which have resin handles, when my wife isn't looking :ssh:

My dishwasher has two sheaths specifically for large chef's knives. Yours probably does too. The three dangers of dish washing:

1. Chipping / dulling when the knife rattles around & against other things in your washer. Sheath thingie prevents that.
2. Rust / patina on non-stainless knives
3. Wooden handles warping

Don't get me wrong, I hand wash 90% of the time because I'll need the knife sooner than I'll run the dishwasher.

Of course otoh our carbon steel knife gets the royal treatment.

I thought it was:

1. Wooden handles get destroyed
2. Dish washer detergent is abrasive as poo poo so it dulls your knives rapidly.

I don't think I've ever had a dishwasher with a chef knife sheath though so....????

e: four posts later I see you've already been corrected. Maybe consider editing your original post.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a Shun vegetable knife for my spouse for a house warming present and we both like it a lot. Cutting vegetables with a chefs knife generally doesn't really make sense for a lot of reasons.

My go to for people that at best have whatever came in their Chicago Cutlery knife block is a Wusthof Grand Prix though. I bet I've gifted close to a dozen of them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Okay maybe not "a lot" and now that I look at that quote it's a bit of an oversell, but what are you doing with the point on a chefs knife when you're slicing vegetables? Lack of the extra steel means you can get away with thinner blade. Flat blade is good for vegetables. No need to "rock" the blade at any point. Makes a difference for me.

I mean, there's a reason they exist and from personal experience I don't think it's solely "to sell more knives to people." I think a nakiri is superior for vegetable cutting than a chefs knife.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I knew I shouldn’t have come back in here I watched those two videos from a few pages ago and now I have that sharpness testing system on order and am trying to figure out which wicked edge kit best represents me as a person.

Also I love the dude in those videos he’s so excited and surprised about good knife sharpness

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

To anyone that has a Wicked Edge system, what grits do you use and what’s your progression for both first time sharpening and touch ups?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can anyone read this I picked it up for $10 at a garage sale and it seems pretty nice but I don't know anything about kitchen knives

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lawnie posted:

Recommend me a 7-8” Japanese chef’s knife around or under $200. I have a 6” wustfhof santoku that I love and a 12” victorinox chef’s knife (not sure why I asked for that one years ago) but want something in the middle of those sizes. I prefer to have Japanese style steel that’s harder and holds an edge longer, even if it’s more difficult to sharpen.

I'd personally go with a 210mm rather than a 180mm considering the knives you already have plus 8" is kind of the standard for German chef's knives so that's what a lot of people consider "normal sized chef's knife" and 210mm is closer to that.

https://www.hocho-knife.com/tojiro-dp-cobalt-alloy-3-layers-chef-knife-gyuto-210mm/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kalsco posted:

Please don't use your super cool knife to cut a baguette, the rock of breads, I was being facetious.

I wish you had posted this and I had seen it a week ago, I rolled a fair amount of the edge and put a couple small chips in my second best gyuto cutting some sourdough I had made because I am a loving moron.

I probably still would have done it though tbh.

Pretty well fixed up with just a regular sharpening plus a small amount of 200 grit stone though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

No

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Random Hero posted:

I didn't know forced patinas were a thing when I got my first real knife around 3 months ago...

Then:

Now:

So do you derustify it and then force a patina or what I think I'm you but 3 months ago

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is this the right one i.e. is this the one that frequently gets talked about?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I use this cleaver for frozen stuff, goes through frozen racks of ribs no problemo. Made by a company called Zombie Tools.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SubG posted:

I get that you're trying to troll the thread or whatever, but for around US$250 less you can get a CCK KF2208. Mine has a blade just under 35 cm, or between 13" and 14". I think I paid around US$30 (years ago) for it:

What makes you think I'm trying to troll the thread?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Whats your tetanus status?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SubG posted:

Well, the fact that you've tried to do it before.

That was a completely unrelated post though.

Like, do you think I don't use that cleaver to cleave things? I assure you, I do.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone have a ZDP189 or SRS-13 knife?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I have a hap40 knife which is about that level of hardness. It's a pretty good treat to use, very light.

I did twist it the wrong way when taking it off a block once which absolutely wrecked the edge but it wasn't bad to bring it back. I think there is an issue with some older or cheaper synthetic whetstone being able to take metal off these knives.

Stalizard posted:

I have a ZDP-189 kitchen knife and I love it, it's a Sukenari gyuto that more or less resembles this one:

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...a-wooden-handle

I got it in September. It's easier to sharpen than I thought it would be and I haven't noticed any deterioration of the edge since I first touched it up. I'm too scared to use it to take apart a chicken or anything else where i might hit a bone, but for just cutting vegetables it's a blast.

Thank you, this is what I wanted to hear.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SubG posted:

I'm trying to imagine how you're crushing garlic if you're bending your knives doing it. Are you like, I dunno, putting the tip on the board and then hitting the knife between the tip and where the garlic is? When I crush garlic with a knife the knife is never in contact with the cutting board and I have no idea how I'd bend the knife doing it even if I tried.

What sort of knives are you using? Something like a VG-10 Masamoto or Tojiro I think it would be pretty difficult to damage a blade by crushing garlic but something like a Yoshikane SKD it's pretty easy to imagine it happening

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SubG posted:

According to the internet a 210mm Yoshikane SKD gyuto is 3.8mm thick at the heel

its super fat initially but tapers very rapidly. I wouldn't use it to crush garlic.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The crown jewel of my knife collection is supposed to arrive tomorrow I hope it is everything I have built it up to be and it fills the emptiness I feel inside

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ronco

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KingColliwog posted:

What is the knife sharpener that people recommend? You know those knock-off ones of the stone on a stick that keeps the same angle (the knife is static and the stone moves). I have a couple of pretty good stones, but my sharpening abilities are only ok and with 3 kids I can't be bothered to get good at it unfortunately but would still like to have nice sharp knives and would prefer to do it myself.

Something like that. But that specific one is like 15$ so I'm guessing it's probably a piece of crap. Is there a recommended brand or recommended knock off brand that does a good job?

I use the Wicked Edge system and I think it's good but it's pretty pricey. My guess would be you can get 90% as good for like 35% of the price but I don't know what knock off that would be though I would say that if it's $15 it's probably not that one :)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It has arrived. I'm gonna go dice an onion.

I will say that it doesn't have a crazy sharp factory edge but I don't care I'll put one on it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get yourself some of those knobbly glass cutting boards they’re really nice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This seems like something I’d try out if it was 30 or 40 bucks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cross postin

bird with big dick posted:

Seeing people on Alone sharpening their knife with a bit of smooth river or ocean rock made me think “this seems as or more likely to dullen their knife unless they really know what they’re doing” so I decided to try it on one of my mother’s kitchen knives.

I have a sharpness testing system that measure how much pressure (in grams) it takes to cut through a wire test media. Lower is better of course, with around 400 being a pretty serviceable edge though nothing to brag about (the best I’ve gotten an edge to is about 140). Butter knife is around 2000-2500. DE razor blade is around 75.

My mother’s Wusthof chefs knife measured between 850 and 970 when I started.

After about 20 minutes of fiddling with a bit of basalt ocean rock I grabbed, it scored between 1150 and 1500.

I need to find some river rock to try it though I think, something harder and smoother than basalt.

But it did kinda confirm my hypothesis, if you don’t know what you’re doing don’t try to sharpen your knife on a smooth rock you found in the yard. Going from ~900 to ~1300 is pretty bad and is easily enough to make your knifing significantly less pleasant.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you’re okay having a sort of middle of the road rather than high end rock, I guess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Raikiri posted:

850 was pretty bad to start with.

Exactly, which is why I didn’t feel bad rubbing it against a rock. 850 is “hasnt been sharpened in a year or more” or “is actually damaged” from my experience.

I’ll fix it (and the rest of her knives) before I head home.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Catpain Slack posted:

Too low of a grit and you're basically making a serrated edge, just on a smaller scale.

real answer: more sharp, more better

e: Sure, you can get by with a lower grit, but once you start sharpening your own knives... Well, at some point the brainworms kick in and now you have 4 sharpening stones for some reason.

Lol. 4 sharpening stones.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I decided I needed a good nakiri because all I have is a Shun that I don't particularly care for so I bought a Kohetsu in HAP40 and I'm curious to see how the HAP40 steel compares to the SRS-13 gyuto I have. Out of the box it's the sharpest kitchen knife I've ever tested, at only 155 grams using the Edge-On-Up tester.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I found this in a box in my basement that I haven't opened in 5 years. I vaguely remember it but can't remember if I bought it or it was a gift. Google translate says this say Honzukuri Guokyu, anyone heard of it? Google search doesn't show anything. I'm guessing it was a gift and was like $30 at Ranch 99 or something. It's kinda funny because I've got a poo poo ton of knives but not a yanagiba just because I wouldn't use one much and then I find that I have a yanagiba.

e: I just ran google translate again and now it's saying "book structure <something> kanehisa" which does show some results.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

German kitchen knife steel is soft like babby's bottom

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mystes posted:

Has anyone tried using a digital angle gauge to help learn to maintain a consistent angle when sharpening knives? I don't know if it's actually better than just using the marker method, but you can get one for $12 on amazon and someone on youtube suggested it. They stick on via magnets and it sounds like they're incredibly light and flimsy so it might actually work.

I have one of these that I used to set the angle on my Wicked Edge thing. I've never used it in the manner you're talking about but I just stuck it to one of my knives and waved it around a bit and it seems like the magnets are strong enough to do what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-2...581355903&psc=1

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a bunka because I didn't have a bunka and I do have obsessive compulsive disorder. It's made by Tsubaki and here's the blacksmith's description of making it.

quote:

Please let me explain how I produce this knife. I manually insert Hitachi Aogami #2 steel into quality mild soft suminagashi cladding. I carefully made it annealed into the ash of rice straw, which adds carbon powder.

After forging (the steels together), considering the hakata's original character, I hardened it (using) pine charcoal at about 800 degrees centigrade. Then (it is) immediately (quenched) in water at about 28 degrees centigrade to (make) it much tougher. I ground the blade to be what is called a clamshell finish, to have the cutting feeling lighter and (to make) re-sharpening even easier.

Using my sharpness tester it's actually not just the sharpest knife I've ever gotten out of the box, it's the sharpest knife I've ever tested.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I match sticked a bunch of carrots with it, it worked good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I found this in a box in my basement that I haven't opened in 5 years. I vaguely remember it but can't remember if I bought it or it was a gift. Google translate says this say Honzukuri Guokyu, anyone heard of it? Google search doesn't show anything. I'm guessing it was a gift and was like $30 at Ranch 99 or something. It's kinda funny because I've got a poo poo ton of knives but not a yanagiba just because I wouldn't use one much and then I find that I have a yanagiba.

e: I just ran google translate again and now it's saying "book structure <something> kanehisa" which does show some results.

I went looking for this knife and I lost it again. I used it for sushi night at my house and I know I put it back in its box but I don't know where I put the box.

I wanted to include it in my kitchen knife family photo today

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a deba

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t know what it’s for

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's mostly being a collector type, being kind of OCD, and going "if I buy two more knives then I've basically got every kind of Japanese chef's knife!" which I did the exact same thing 10 years ago when I discovered I could buy switchblades online, I had to get one of every "kind."

The deba is pretty cool tbh. So thick and heavy i.e. very unlike most Japanese chef's knives.

I probably will stop buying now having achieved my goal. I mean, technically I don't have a takobiki or usuba or honesuki but I'm not sure I really need those since they're pretty similar to stuff I already have. Unless you think I should get them. But then I'll also need another knife block because I'm out of room that's why I got the deba that came with a saya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My dipshit brother in law dish washered this knife because even though his much smarter spouse has beaten into his head that you're not supposed to dish washer good knives, he didn't think this knife fell into the good category. It didn't totally screw it up but the wood is definitely drier and a different texture than it used to be. Rubbing some food grade mineral oil into it now, any other tips/ideas?