Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ranter posted:

Housemate hosed my 3 year old tojiro DP santoku taking a huge bite out of the edge. I want a pretty damascus santoku anyway. Any recommendations for something < $150?

Don't bother with the tojiro dp damascus. It's barely noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

BrianBoitano posted:

Forgive me thread, for I have sinned. I tried to fix it, but I'm sure a professional would weep.

Pretty sure the only thing a pro might do different is retain the profile of the belly angles a little better. They're still going to grind the knife down to remove the chip just like you did. If you want an example of a knife that's been sharpened forever, look through the chefsteps videos for the knife that has a scalloped blade profile - that blade has been re-profiled so many times the scalloping is down into the edge of the knife.

https://youtu.be/YS_kItQI98c?t=56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS_kItQI98c&t=56s

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 19, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Yup, and a perfect example of why bolsters on the blade can be more hassle than they're worth

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I appreciate everyone's input and advice. I live in Kyushu near Fukuoka. I know there is a local knife maker that folks have raved about. I think I will go check his shop out before I buy something off Amazon. My hesitation has been from the language barrier and a fear that his stuff would be so expensive I wouldn't be able to afford anything. I speak some Japanese but not well enough to ask specific knife questions and the guy who runs the local shop is very old which makes it less likely he speak English. Worst case scenario, ordering online isn't going anywhere I guess.

All I have to say on this is that I'm really happy with my yanagiba that I purchased in Asakusa

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

why would you do this to us

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Symetrique posted:

Pretty sure its a Tojiro ITK gyuto

Nah the kanji is different. But it's still a gyuto. It's an older tojiro of a different model

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 12, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just get an oyster shell and make your own knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyIS0k_ozQ

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sharp cheddar

Apparently sharper than your knife

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Don't buy that cheap chinese knockoff knife - esp not at $43. It's 420hc steel which is soft, especially for a Japanese knife, let alone a single bevel knife. You're going to need to sharpen it frequently. Japanese knives are also traditionally NOT a full tang, so that plus the laser-etched labeling tells me that these knives are just mass produced cheap junk on par with ones you'd see at a dollar store.

For the same price you could get a Fibrox which would be easier to sharpen,
Or at least $45 for a Chinese made blade that claims to have a VG10 core/edge.
Or for $73 you could get a real Japanese Tojiro DP gyuto made from high carbon VG10

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Tojiro does cheap single bevels and they're made of white #1 rather than chinese razor (I believe) steel.

The absolute bottom end of Tojiro knives (Tojiro Color series) is ordinary stainless razor steel/CrMoV, but most of their Japanese-style knives like the like their Shirogami line are white steel, or VG10 in the DP line.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

kirtar posted:

My initial reaction is that 420HC seems like an odd choice for a 15 degree single bevel.

Side note: Japanese single bevel knives are typically purpose built, like the yanagiba or deba knives, which are right-hand designed for breaking down and slicing fish. It's less desirable to have a single bevel on a general purpose chef's knife, but it's a easy way to make a knife "feel" sharper by a cheap manufacturer looking to cut the cost of production. It'll be easier to sharpen since you don't have to think about angles on the back side of the knife, but it will also need much more frequent sharpening. And if you use a honing steel on it, you better make sure you don't overdo it on the unbeveled side.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

.Z. posted:

I'm not sure if it's from the same blacksmith you can get the knife here: https://raknife.com/shop/

Pretty expensive though and no clue if the quality matches the cost.

It's possibly the same blacksmith but the site itself is not connected to Li ZiQi.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

guppy posted:

It's refreshing to see a knife set not loaded down with knives most people will never touch, though.

quote:

Includes one 8-inch chef knife, one 8-inch carving knife, one 8-inch bread knife, one 5-inch utility knife, one 3.5-inch paring knife and a wood storage block

:crossarms:

The mfg homepage lists the two shorter knives as a 4.7" utility and a 4" paring knife... which means they're basically the same thing.

Most starting cooks would still be better served with a Fibrox 8" chef, Fibrox paring knife, and a quality honing rod.

Murgos posted:

Unglazed bottom of a coffee mug works well enough in a pinch.

That can hone but it's not really good for sharpening.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

I don't think rubbing wasabi-free sushi on your knife will get rid of rust ;)

(sabitori... or just a "knife eraser / rust eraser")

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 13, 2019

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

totalnewbie posted:

That's a lot of peaches.

Just FYI...

peaches come in a can...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ola posted:

You should move to the country.

gonna eat me a lot of peaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm lusting after a Sakimaru Takohiki. I have absolutely no need for such a knife and countless other designs would be better suited to the things I do.

Please validate my coveting.

You have my blessing as long as you sign off on that maguro kiri bōchō that I've been eyeing. Why yes, I do plan to break down an entire bluefin tuna, as soon as I can get my hands on one.