Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Hi thread, what are your opinions on traveling with knives? I like to stay in places that have kitchens (ie. Airbnb or VRBO or whatever), but they consistently have terrible knives are so dull they're dangerous to use. Right now my old Opinel lives in my duffel bag for when I find myself in a poorly equipped kitchen, but I'd like to find a better solution. My thinking is currently going in two directions and I'm curious to hear if anyone has thoughts or experience with either.

First – a knife bag. Probably the most obvious choice. I have a handful of old knives that have worked their way out of my everyday rotation as I've slowly replaced them with better knives, but they're still plenty sharp and would work for travel. However my concern is size – I want to be able to throw a bag of 2 or 3 knives (at most) into a checked bag and not have it take up a huge amount of space. Any ideas? Maybe a sheath that's big enough for a single, basic chef's knife is a better option?

Second – a folding chef's knife. This is my preferred option if one actually exists. I already do 70% of my work with a single 7 inch santoku, so if I could find something that folds with a similar blade, that would be awesome. I wouldn't be able to carry a couple of knives, of course, but I'd have far less bulk to deal with when packing. I've seen the A.G. Russel folding cook's knife II and the SpydieChef, but they both have shorter blades than I'd prefer.

Any opinions?

That A.G. Russel folding knife looks pretty awesome. Has anyone used something like that before? Yeah, its a little short, but I think it would be great for camping etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

Rule 1 of marriage: If a situation could be resolved with a conversation, but skipping the conversation gives you an excuse to buy a toy you want, then don't have the conversation.

This is why/how I bought half my kitchen gadgets.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Stalizard posted:

That's still the one. You can sometimes find it at around $35 on sale, but the next best thing you're gonna see recommended is the tojiro and it's also $20 or so more than it was back whenever the OP was written.

I've had good luck with the Messermeister 4 Seasons line if you're dead set on something that costs $35. I bought the 12" chef knife and used it to cut fruit commercially for a couple of years. It did fine, at least as well as the Dexter Russell knives that we had laying around. I think they still use that same swiss army knife steel but they don't have the internet reputation that I assume has driven up the price of the Victorinox.

I bought that Victorinox for my parents back in May for $34 on Amazon (May 10 to be exact). Keep an eye on it and it'll probably drop again.

Edit: I havea Tojiro Santoku that I really like as well, it feels a bit nicer in the hand, but I haven't used the Victorinox enough to compare. When I am at my parents house the Victorinox is definitely good enough in every way.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Scythe posted:

I’m annoyed at my current lovely knife storage solution, and miss the wall mounted magnetic bar from my old place but that’s not happening with the weird tiles on my kitchen wall.

Any recommended freestanding magnetic knife holders, ideally as small as possible?

(I’ll keep less-used knives in sayas in a drawer, this is just for the top 3-5 to be near my cutting board.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQ9F48J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have this, and it works great. The magnets are very strong on one side, and kinda weak on the other (by design).