Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Jerome Louis posted:

How long did it take to learn to sharpen a knife by hand using stones? I got the Kramer/Zwilling sharpening set and have been practicing with some crappy knives but I still feel like my angle is uneven. I'll keep working on it but just wanted to get an idea of how long it took some people to get good at it.

I'm doing only an ok job, but I found it was much easier than I thought it would be. I wouldn't win any sharpness competition because I don't have enough stone and my technique probably needs some work, but I still have the sharpest knife out of anyone I know (by far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I don't plan on putting my knives in the dishwasher, but are new detergents based on enzymes still abrasives? The plastic becoming white thing is a good example of something that doesn't seem to happen with newer dishwasher/detergent

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
What is the knife sharpener that people recommend? You know those knock-off ones of the stone on a stick that keeps the same angle (the knife is static and the stone moves). I have a couple of pretty good stones, but my sharpening abilities are only ok and with 3 kids I can't be bothered to get good at it unfortunately but would still like to have nice sharp knives and would prefer to do it myself.

Something like that. But that specific one is like 15$ so I'm guessing it's probably a piece of crap. Is there a recommended brand or recommended knock off brand that does a good job?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 15, 2021

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

FogHelmut posted:

I bought the Spyderco Sharpmaker 10 years ago. It's a pain in the rear end on big knives because you have to do half the length and then half the length. But it works well enough and doesn't take much time.

I ended buying the apex clone by ruixin with 4 stones. Once I flattened the stone I found it amazing and perfect for my use. I tried it on 4 different knives of different length, steel type and stiffness and it did well enough on all of them. I really recommend it since it's pretty cheap.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Let's say I want a nakiri. Is the tojiro my best bet in those price ranges? I already have the tojiro dp gyuto and like it. I think japanese style handles look sweet, but how do you even pick a knife if you can't handle them physically?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I may have decided to spend more than I had planned. Really wanted a nice looking knife and I find nakiris super sexy. I also mostly use knives to cut veggies so... I bought that think. Shigeki Tanaka VG-10. I regret nothing.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nephzinho posted:

I loved using my nakiri for years until I got a CCK.

A chinese cleaver is actually the next thing on my purchase list. Probably will get one in a few years when I feel like buying a new knife! They look fun.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nephzinho posted:

I did the "i'll get a new knife in a few years" and then looked up 15-20 years later with a problem.

Luckily I'm pretty good at taking a long time buying things. I decided I'd buy a Nakiri like 4-5 years ago and just purchased it now. The time frame for buying my Tojiro DP Gyuto was similar. The cutting board in the background is something I made like 4 years after looking at a tutorial and deciding I'd do it one day. I also want to spend all my money on climbing gear stuff so that also helps not over spending on other things I enjoy. But I can certainly see how collecting knives must be fun and addictive.

Lawnie posted:

I still have the first 2 knives of my own I ever had. They might both be at least half as old as I am.

The question is how many other new knife you got since then! I also still have the terrible knives that we first got when we first moved in an apartment 15 years ago. They are a full set of terrible serrated knives. Not real serrated ones, just thin piece of metal with a sort of micro serration that is more like a saw blade and the cheapest molded handles. Somehow my girlfriend insist on keeping/using them.

xtal posted:

I have a very similar knife and I use it for almost everything. I prefer it to my CCK to give you a contrary opinion to that other guy.

I'm really happy with it anyway and I know I will keep enjoying it for years. Nice tools are just so enjoyable to use. And I'm kind of sentimental and the fact that it was forged by some guy with a name that I instead of being a machine made thing is something that tends to make me happy every time I pick any artisan made thing. Can be a teapot, a knife or anything else.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I also have a similar flexible boner and really enjoy playing with it too. I think flexible boners are better than hard ones.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 19, 2021

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have a nice nakiri and I always reach for it

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've joined the Cult of Japanese Knifes....

It's a nakiri by Shigeki Tanaka in Ginami Silver 3. It was the more subtle nashiji finish that ended up drawing me to it.

edit: It appears we can start a Shigeki Tanaka nakiri fan club...

Do you like it? Mine needed a good sharpening, but is now my favourite knife by far. Looks so good too and I'm a sucker for handmade stuff which adds to my enjoyment everytime.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Bunka's are so sexy. When I get another knife it'll be a bunka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

guppy posted:

That seems like a good reason to get one.

That. A good tool for a task you do every 3 days isn't particularly crazy.