Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I was under the impression that the dishwashing detergent itself is typically abrasive enough that even without banging around it still dulls the edge exceptionally quickly, so unless those sheathy thingies stops the edge from actually being washed, it's still pretty bad for them.

I sort of suspected this, but didn't ever consciously make an effort to research or find out about it. thanks for learning the thread one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jvick posted:

Hey Guys, I'm in the market for a solid meat slicing knife. We got a Wusthoff knife set for our wedding about 3 years ago. It came with a chef's knife, bread knife, a 6-7" knife I don't know the name of and an assortment of smaller knives (pairing to steak). Missing is a good meat slicing knife. The chef knife is about 8" long, but really it gets used for so many other things it gets dull pretty quick. Mainly I'd be using the meat knife for stuff like thick tri tips, ribeyes, prime ribs, etc. It'd be used maybe once or twice per month during BBQ season at least.

Wroughtirony how satisfied are you with the knife above? Do you find it holds an edge pretty well aside from regular honing?

I'm looking to stay under $100 fwiw.

:tia:

what's wrong with the wusthof chef's knife for "meat cutting" ?

if it gets dull, you're more in the market for a sharpening stone or knockoff edgepro than a "meat slicing knife" imo

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jvick posted:

So, with that said, what would you recommend as far as sharpening stones go?

I have a norton oilstone that works well, and also this "AGPtek" fixed angle system that works well.

you have to freehand the norton oilstone, which I thought I was messing up, so I picked up the agptek edgepro knockoff. I think now I was probably doing just fine with an oilstone freehanding, it just takes technique with either method. the edgepro style is definitely more foolproof though.

I'd spend $30 on that before spending $30 on more knives - you don't really know what you're working with in terms of your current gear, until you've given properly sharpening your existing knives a go. honing is great, but even a properly honed knife is going to lose its edge after 2-3 months of regular use - or quicker if you're cutting on glass and ceramic.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

His Divine Shadow posted:

My post could be interpreted as a question more than a statement. i.e. "am I right in assuming this regarding the terms honing/sharpening/grinding?"

Because I've googled it today and I am more confused than when I begun, it seems there's no clear cut terminology. Some people do call what you do with a steel for honing, and using a sharpening stone for sharpening. Seems not as as clear cut as in swedish.

honing and steeling are the same thing in english - I think that might be the only confusing thing.

sharpening does encompass grinding and profiling. basically anything where you're removing metal from the blade is sharpening/grinding/profiling.

anything where you're resetting the sharp tip/cutting edge of the knife to the correct angle by manipulating it (but not removing large amounts of metal) is honing / polishing. stropping is just the extremely high end of polishing where you're caressing and smoothing the last little bits of the exposed blade edge into alignment with the gentleness of a freshly powdered baby's asscheek sliding across his mother's busom.

that said, all that is confounded by most people not knowing much about how knife sharpening works. so my mom would probably say 'oh I'm going to use a steel to sharpen my knife' because that's what she thinks she's doing.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 8, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if I were giving a gift, shun would be up there. they're too pricey, but they're nice knives, look fancy, have brand recognition so you aren't just giving them some rando 'hattori hanzo' steel, and they're a style of knife most people won't already own... (like, most people will have some german style knives in their kitchen, so a thinner harder blade is nice...)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

Even in a gift I don't really care about faux Damascus finishes, but yeah, I agree about Shun. I would also give MAC or even Wusthof's Classic line as a gift, but they are not lookers particularly. I have also given a Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife as a gift to a friend who will not care about fancy knives but had no decent prep knives at all and just needed something reliable.

yeah basically this 100%

victorinox make great gifts if the person you're gifting to doesn't really care, but you don't wanna give them a poo poo gift.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

glynnenstein posted:

It's harder to appreciate the difference in discussion vs actually feeling how the profiles affect cutting styles. I GISed some pictures to help show why people make a distinction between French and German knives.

Here's a German profile knife being used to rock-chop:

You can see how the large belly created by a high tip lends itself to this motion.

On the other hand, here's a French profile knife being used to push-cut:

Again, the profile shape lends itself to this style with a low tip and long flat.

Other styles of knives also lend their shape to particular usage too, but it's not always so subtle.

e: Pics are from this wirecutter article.

those two knives have essentially the same profile, just one photo the person is push cutting, the other they're rocking excessively.

I have 3 wusthofs on my wall, a shun, a gyoto, a messermeister, a couple macs.

there's a difference between a french style knife and a gyoto (though it's slight)

there's no loving difference between a "german" style knife and a "french" chefs knife though, that's just absurd talk - and/or a distinction that was just fabricated ex nihilo. they're the exact same thing. different blades might be shaped differently, but they're the same profile and general curve.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nervana posted:

How do you guys store your knives? knife block?

gently caress no

wooden magnetic knife strip, bolted on the wall. https://www.benchcrafted.com/magblok

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ranter posted:

I always wanted to get something like this but then I read their FAQ and it says stainless steel isn't magnetic. Never knew that was a thing! Knife guards it is.

what knives do you have that are stainless steel?

I think you're probably confused about the definition of stainless steel here, or think steel things in your kitchen are stainless when they technically aren't stainless steel. literally everything metal in my kitchen except one prep bowl very clearly labeled STAINLESS STEEL sticks to these things - hard. and if you really do have knives that are actually stainless steel, you need better knives.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

One thing that's going to stick out to people here is: Most people use a chef's knife and a paring knife. 8" is better for a main knife, but a lot of people eventually go up to a 10" chef's knife.

disagree fwiw

my breakdown on knife usage is 70% 6.5in santoku, 10% cleaver, 10% 10in chef knife/gyoto, 10% everything else

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

That's weird. I feel like anything shorter than 10" is cramped now. My breakdown is probably 80% 10" gyuto, 15% 8" chef's knife (it's stainless so I use it for certain stuff), 5% paring knife (mostly cutting fruit in half).

what do you mean by "cramped"?

there's just not much I ever have to do that requires that large a blade. I'm much more nimble boning chickens with a santoku, most of the veg/herbs I chop isn't such huge quantities that a shorter blade slows me down, the santoku is thinner and sharper so I can get more precise dices...

I'll use a cleaver or chef's knife if I'm like, cutting a big ol acorn squash, slicing a whole leg of lamb or a turkey or something, or dicing 10lbs of carrots - but for like one bunch of cilantro or chiffonading mint or mincing garlic or segmenting fruit or something, lightweight nimble and fast push-cutting just feels right to me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I posted a thread a while back about doing ceramics

I've sort of been running out of ideas on what to do next in my ceramics studio. I work almost exclusively with porcelain, and I make an inordinate amount of bowls and teacups and vases and boring poo poo. looking for some inspiration, and I remembered ceramic blades were a thing.

does anyone know much about how porcelain blades are made? if I hand-cast a sorta flat, knife shaped thing and put it through a kiln and ground it down and poo poo, would I basically be making a ceramic blade ala the commercial process?

I don't think I'd ever pay money for a ceramic blade, but the novelty of making one myself...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was sad

I bought my wife's childhood friend (who she still fancys a friend) a nice MAC knife for their wedding present like 3 years ago.

we were invited over for dinner to their house a couple nights ago

they ordered in pizza and asked us to bring a salad

we brought stuff to make a salad, and they seemed vaguely miffed that we had to like, cut vegetables or assemble the salad or something?

I asked to use a knife and a cutting board

they gave me the knife I gave them

it had pretty obviously not been used, it was like the exact sharpness that it comes out of the box. :( and these people are not like using a sharpening service or something. :( :( or even have a hone probably :( :( :(

I was sad

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
not my friendship to sever

they are having a kid and bought a house 30 minutes out in the burbs and their house while perfectly nice is completely sterile without any personality at all, and they're OCD like "take off your shoes when you come in the house", and we honestly don't have much in common, so I think it might just run its natural course.

gotta be polite to mah girl tho so my bitchin' goes in the knife thread. even though I'm sure she'd agree if I brought all this up :/

still though, mah beautiful expensive MAC knife gift :/ why u no use, friend???

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
im laughing picturing the inverse of this

"so.... we were invited over for dinner and went over to our friends house who we gifted a REALLY nice MAC knife.

he cooked us a really weird dinner with a savory egg custard appetizer that had CRAB in it, and he was really OCD about serving the food in 5 courses rather than just a trough on the table.

he had clearly been abusing the gently caress out of our gift - I mean it looked worn and the MAC lettering was barely legible - it had faded that much! no respect at all.

anyways, they don't even have kids and our conversation attempts about tv shows fell COMPLETELY flat so I doubt we'll be seeing much more of them anyhow...."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wormil posted:

Could be worse. Last time my MIL visited, she was in a panic because the paring knife disappeared and she was afraid it was thrown away by accident. Trying to make her feel better I say, "It wasn't that great a knife anyway." She blurts out, "I bought that for you!" I'm the worst SIL ever.

yikes, that's a pretty dangerous move. I've forgotten gifts my mother in law had given me, and thank gently caress I have the gift of blagging or I'd be in some deep poo poo to this day. I've made many mental and physical notes never to forget the details of an in-law gift ever again :/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

taking your shoes off at the door is normal

lol nice troll, my neckbearded friendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
nigga just use ur american redblooded spending :10bux: to buy a roomba and stop imposing misery and implied moral highground ethical shame on your houseguests ffs

rude

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)