Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Hero Name: Ivy

quote:

Who were you before?

Hi, my name's Maya, and I used to be a regular person. Went on hikes, hung out at the community center, helped my mom in the garden, all that jazz. Not a loser, but not one of the pretty girls either, you know?

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

The summer before junior year, I was part of a trip to Belize. Officially, it was an academic research thing, but mostly it was vacation in the tropics, not that it turned out that way. I'll never forget that hurricane.

See, I was packing three boxes of samples to take back to the camp site when the wind and rain started kicking up. I tried to hurry back with them, since the advisors had been getting cranky about us not doing enough actual work, and 'this isn't an excuse for you all to hit the beaches and flirt with the locals', but it slowed me down too much. I heard this huge crack of thunder -- the lightning must have been almost on top of me -- and the next thing I know, I'm sitting in this pile of goop, and the boxes are wrecked. Somehow, I managed to stagger back, I guess, the whole thing's a blur, and when I woke up . . .

i wasn't green all over, but there was a lot of green. And red, and purple, and orange, basically every color in the rainbow. No caramel, the color I used to be. No black curls on my head, either. I screamed when I found a mirror and really saw how human I wasn't, anymore.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?
Dr. Wilson Sinclair, head of the botanical department, has been doing a lot of research on me. I've never been a test subject to him, though. Don't get me wrong, he's super professional, but he's made it clear that I'm a person first, wonder of science second. He actually called me a wonder!

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?
I had a normal life, before. I'm not giving it up just because I'm kind of a freak show. Maybe getting respect from being a hero will be enough to make people stop staring at me like that . . .

quote:

Why do you care about the team?
They say that Halcyon City's full of the craziest things, and people are used to it. Well, I suppose that's kind of true -- I don't stop traffic when I go to the park (although part of that is probably because I do it so much). But so many people look at me like I'm something else, even the people who love me, as accepting as they try to be. To my team-mates, I'm no more of a weirdo than any of them. That's not something you let slip through your fingers.

Look:

Feminine body leaning to androgynous. Human structure to face, without particular details - nostrils do not connect to cavity, nor does mouth. Moderately larger torso circumference under shoulders, somewhat narrower torso between shoulders and groin, etc.
Eyes have green sclera and brown irises.
Body resembles a jungle in miniature, with many strips and blobs of plant-esque colors and textures.
Maya Lee wears nothing, as modesty is satisfied by the lack of detail to her new body, and extremes of temperature are not particularly troublesome, particularly heat. Attempting to disguise herself is pointless.

Abilities:

Ivy is fundamentally connected to the world of plants, as her appearance might suggest. Her diet appears to be partially photosynthetic, as she does not eat enough (and no fruits or vegetables) to satisfy a young woman of her build, but becomes drab and weary after more than a day without sunlight. She perceives through the plants around her, describing without hesitation dozens of details about events and visitors in the city park while sitting against a tree with her eyes closed. Ivy can cause plants to grow with supernatural speed, both existing specimens in soil and from her own body, though this requires effort commensurate with the achieved size. In testing, she 'picked' a lock by pressing her hand to the door and causing the dead wood to eject the metal assembly; she was able to repair the damage, but the texture of the door around the lock was significantly rougher than before, and there was a distinct earthy odor about it. Lastly, she has exhibited a truly remarkable ability to travel via plant matter (her running speed is significantly higher on grass and around trees than on concrete or pavement): given two areas covered with plants, each sufficient for normal human passage if replaced with a door of equivalent size, she can stand on one and have her body melt into the grass or other specimens, being reconstituted in the other place. The gap between departure and materialization is proportional to the distance between them, and suggests a 'speed' of perhaps seven hundred to one thousand miles per hour; she has been reluctant to provide more accurate data by traveling farther. Similarly, the process of assembling her new body takes a handful of moments, and the time decreases with greater plant surface area and mass.

Labels:

Danger +1
Freak +3
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves:

Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Coming for you: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

When the team first came together:

quote:

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships:

quote:

___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence:

You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread