Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Interest post! Gonna post a Legacy
- - - -

Onmyōji

My name is Katie, and for as long as I can remember... I've been able to see Kami.

Kami are everywhere, they're in every thing. They're the street you're walking on, the book you're reading, the rain clouds about to ruin your walk in the woods (oh my god, the woods are just suffused with Kami!). They're responcable for making sure things work. But they're living beings, they have moods, emotions, wants, needs. Say you're trying to cross the river, but you've disrespected it's Kami, you're gonna get splashed! Or if it's a really powerful Kami, then you might just get washed away in a flash flood. This is why Onmyōji are important! They can see the Kami, who are normally invisible, and can look after them and stuff!

My family comes from Japan originally, they were like, super awesome priest wizards! Fighting off evil! And protecting people and stuff! They were just like the coolest. They were totally anime before anime was a thing! But then World War 2 happened. In the end, they moved to the USA, and that's where we've lived ever since! We continued our traditions of looking after the Kami, but we couldn't do it properly, people give us weird looks when we wear the traditional clothes. (Have you seen those split hip pants?! Oh my god, I love them, but there's no way I'd be caught dead in them!) We had to adapt. Work in secret. In the shadows. When the superheroes came about, it was the best thing ever! We could step out into the light. Get stuff done without being judged for it! Now everyone knows about our family! Or at least, they thing they do. See, we're the Spirit Callers! heroism runs in the family, and now I'm making my big appearance!

quote:

• When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

I was born into it silly! Though... My parents... they're not super into the whole Super hero thing. See. Mom was kinda a run away from the rest of the family. She wanted a normal life, and so, when she and dad got married in secret, it caused a huge fight! Eventually she and the rest of them came to an understanding, but I didn't get to meet them for the first ten years of my life. When I did meet them though... BEST DAY EVER!!! I met so many Kami, and my uncles aunts cousins and grandparents are all so awesome! Looking back, no one was really comfortable, but at least they were talking again! Oh, and I met a dragon!!!

What was I talking about? Oh, right. So, here's the thing... my Mom doesn't know I'm a super hero. She doesn't know that I got the Okay to join the Spirit Callers ether. She'd... well, she'd probably kill me if she knew. But I am. I want to use these powers of mine! I want to help people! (I want to be an anime dammit!) They weren't super on board, because I'm missing half my education in our powers, and I started super mega late. But I'm never gonna let that hold me back! And after I used my patented Katie eyes on them! (Like puppy dog eyes, but like, super cuter! Like X2 puppy dog eyes!) they agreed. I mean, it's not all official. Because we're supposed to have bonded with a spirit for life who becomes our permanent companion. And I haven't yet... And I've had to make a costume out of all of the cos-play I used to do. But I'm still totally a member! Wooo!

quote:

• What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

Oh man, there was the time we stopped Oda Nobunaga resurrecting as a vengeful Yokia! Twice! We rode off the fame of that one for a few centuries and even got into the Japanese court. Our magical methods even became a whole part of the government! It was just totally awesome! These days most of our battles go unseen. Because we decided that preempting things before they happen rather then solving them once they had was a really good idea. So now our greatest achievements are mostly known to the Kami! Like the "Nearly-Opened-Orochi's-Tomb-incident" or the time "Susano's-Mirror-Wasn't-Stolen" Or "Yukie-Ona-Got-Friendzone'd-Super-Hard". All totally amazing adventures. You just have to read about them in the family archives!

quote:

• How does the public perceive your legacy?

People think we're kinda oddballs, I guess. I mean, they can't see all of the Kami who are everywhere! Oh, uh, do you have any more of those biscutes? There's a Raiken here who's just soooo cute! Who's a good boy! Who's a GOOD boy?! Is it you?! I bet it's you! Ababgabgabgahabab!!!!

...please stop looking at me like that... it's a... okay, so there's this kinda Kami called a Raiken who's a Shinu-Ina dog with this tiny drum around his neck, and they herd lightning and stuff! They're just so cuteeeee! Ah, I could just die! And just like that, you've seen the problem. When no one can see what you're dealing with, you can look really kinda crazy. So a lot of the Family work from the shadows. Grandpa is like some kinda spy master, dispatching Kami to find stuff out and rough up any bad guys! Some of them can be really strong too. So it goes all Paranormal Activity and things get thrown around and stuff. There's this one guy who thinks we're all fake psychic, or something? I don't really know how we can still think that after all the times Uncle saved him. But I guess some people are always stubborn.

quote:

• How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

Because... they can teach me things no one else can! I mean, yeah, I can see the Kami, and interact with them. But commanding them is super hard. Or what about stepping into their world? Or messing with peoples minds and stuff? I'd never be able to work that out on my own! But it's more then that... they're legends, the family name carries an authority, it's like a badge of honour. It get's us listened too. Without our past, we'd be... two bit conjurers. But our legacy has weight, even our doubters know we've been around since super heroing started! We're like....ummm... uh.... dogs! We're like dogs! We've been here since the beginning, and not everyone likes us. But we're kinda and warm and loving, and we'll never back down and we've got these perky little ears and we love belly rubs and... and... and I'm going off track. Seriously... where was I going with that?

P-Point is, the Kami wouldn't listen to me without my blood. So I'm going to embrace my heritage, and be the coolest hero ever!

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

I love Kami, they're amazing, and wonderful, and awesome!

But... they're not... I can't date a Kami, I can't go out and have fun, or party with them. Not unless I want everyone to think I'm crazy! So, having some human friends. That would be totally cool

Especially if they don't think I'm crazy. Like everyone else at school does.

NPCS

Akihiko Ketsumi is still active and prominent in the city.

Uncle Ketsumi is like, really old school, but he's the full old school public face of the Family. He's Mom's brother, really nice and charismatic. He's really good at the talisman magic, so people can see he's got powers! He's also a total film buff! I've never even heard of half the references he makes. If only he made more anime references we'd totally be on the same level!

Fuka Kobayashi A.K.A Katie's Mom is retired and quite judgemental.

Mom is... kind of a dragon. When I was a little girl when I was worried about Monster's under the bed, she'd chase them away. I mean literally chase them away. With a broom. I think she was crazy powerful back before she married Dad. He's really normal. So he's not allowed to know about... all the things. But Mom? She's super crazy not allowed to know about this!!

Momoko Kamata is the next possible member of your legacy.

She's like my Cuz five times removed! (our Family is kinda huge! Oh man, we're totally a Clan!!!) I love her to pieces! She's so spunky! She's already got the most adorable tiny tiger Kami! They're keeping her on Kids stuff so far, but she's totally hard core! She eats Wassabi! On it's own! While staring you down! Barely even flinches!! She's so cool!

Oda Nobunaga is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

So... we might have dropped the ball on this one. After we moved to America, Nobunaga somehow got up and free. But the bonds still on him limit his ability to rip a hole in the world and to let the Yokia out into the human realm. Sooo... he's mad at us? Yeah, I'm personally hoping I don't have to face him. Nobunaga is bad news. Bad bad news.

quote:

LEGACY NAME The Onmyōji
REAL NAME Katie Kobayashi
Look: woman, Asian-American, "trendy" clothing, unique costume, letter insignia
Abilities
You have powers that match your general line. Choose one suite of powers, but pick two powers that you don’t have from your suite: (reflavoured Shadow set)
❑❑ Kami control, Spirit portals, Mind-Clouding, Walk Unseen, Spirit Caller's eyes.

Labels

FREAK +1
DANGER -1
SAVIOR +2
SUPERIOR +0
MUNDANE +1

Legacy Moves

Fight the good fight:

When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Symbol of authority:

When you give an NPC an order based on authority they recognize, roll + Savior. On a hit, they choose one:
- do what you say
- get out of your way
- attack you at a disadvantage
- freeze

On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Legacy

Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):

Akihiko Ketsumi is still active and prominent in the city.
Fuka Kobayashi A.K.A Katie's Mom is retired and quite judgmental.
Momoko Kamata is the next possible member of your legacy.
Oda Nobunaga is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Moment of Truth

This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together...

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Flaire

So Flaire invited me onto this webchat livestream thing. I was super nervous, I mean, IT'S FLAIRE!!! I had to stop myself screaming in excitement when she asked me to do it in the first place! So she starts asking questions, and I'm trying so so hard to impress her. I'm laughing at her jokes, I'm putting up the 'V' sign. I'm trying to be every bit the cool cute Super girl I know I can be! But I was trying so hard to be impressive, I didn't really think about what I was saying....

I mentioned Oda. Our greatest enemy. Our dirty little secret. Uncle Ketsumi got questioned about it almost immediately. The Family when into damage control. And even Flaire thinks they did a good job. Even if they were sniping at her to do it. Ahhhhhh why's this so unfair! I got chewed out by The Spirit Callers, and they disprove of Flaire! This is the worst thing ever :'(

You trust Chromatik and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Chromatik is... well, she's something else. She knows a lot of stuff. It's really hard not to ask for the lottery numbers or anything. But, well... she's not from this time. So I thought it be safe to confide some stuff in her. So... uhhh, Grandpa has been alive for like, 300 years. Technically, under classic deffinition he'd be a Yokia. He died battling Oda Nobunaga, but his body lived on because of his rage. He's refused to be put down until Nobunaga is banished for good. I'm kinda terrified that even once that happens, he'll refuse again.

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 11:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread