Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Halcyon City is the world’s largest metropolis. Skyscrapers cluster around the center, ever expanding skyward in order to create more space for companies to work, while the industry toils endlessly to provide for the ever growing demands of the citizens.

The population is growing at an explosive rate, and it feels like the city grows bigger every day. There are many reasons to come here, but a lot simply are here for a sense of wonder. For reasons not quite understood, Halcyon City has an anomalously high percentage of metahumans. As this is noticeable even among immigrants, some people immigrate here for the sole reason of wanting to develop a superpower.

However, with this massive increase in population also came a massive increase in crime. The senior heroes, those who have protected the city for multiple generations, simply can no longer cover the entire city by themselves. Heroism itself became somewhat institutionalized. Optimized. Patrol routes were planned out in advance, coordinated with others. But even that simply is no longer enough.

The city needs more heroes. It needs heroes… like you!

It’s Masks! again.

Masks is a PbTA about teenage superheroes. It’s about finding the middle ground between being a hero and impressing your crush, between cramming for the finals and saving the world.

It’s a system that is quick to pick up and learn, being based more on the narrative than mechanics.

Other Things

I’m not one to be too strict regarding powers choices. If you think you have a good idea, feel free to do so – just check in with me beforehand. What’s a lot more important to me is that the power fits the theme of the playbook – some are more focused on their powers than others. What I mean by this is that it doesn’t really matter what powers a protégé has (as long as it stays within the general ‘power level’ of the playbook), but a Transformed with godlike beauty would be completely oxymoronic.

Feel free to discuss anything with me! You can find me on this Discord server, also known as the server where the game will be on.
Alternatively, you can send me a PM here on SA. I prefer Discord, though, and expect you to be active on it, what with the game being run on Discord and all. PM's should only be used as an alternative if I am not currently online.

As a general note, I am okay with any playbook, even the new playtest ones (but do be well aware that they are, in fact, WIP and it shows).

I’m looking for 4-6 players, and I’ll be closing recruitment around January 21st. I am willing to extend this deadline should enough interest arise late in the recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Platonicsolid posted:

Suppose I can't just bring Bravura back then! :-)

Got a few ideas, may try the new Harbinger.

Bravura? Man, that is way back. The memories!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey everyone! I know it's a BIT early on the 21st (for me, in germany, it's midnight) but nothing new was happening so have some picks.

Chromatik, the Harbinger, played by Tricky

Kurogane, the Soldier, played by Hugzilla

Shikra, the Nova, played by Mykkel

Flaire, the Star, played by Rauri

Hekate, the Protege, played by Robodog

Onmyoji, the Legacy, played by Arashiofordo3

This was a really hard choice, and I really wanted to take more, but like I said, I can't really do it without comprimising quality. But I want to specifically say to carrot and SKIN (who, as far as I'm aware, are relatively new to masks?) - please do not let this discourage you from apping to further masks games. Your apps were really good and I absolutely would have picked you if I had the space.

But let's get to those that did make the cut:

Please get started on your "When the team first came together" questions while you're working on your relationships. Those questions usually end up taking the longest, so I'd like them to be prioritized. These also have a set order, but the limited and playtest playbooks haven't been included in that order yet, as far as I'm aware.

As such, let's go with the following order:

quote:

Nova, aka Mykkel:
We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

quote:

Bull, (we don't have one, but I feel like this should go to Tricky):
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

quote:

Harbinger, aka Tricky (I feel like these two questions can tie into each other decently well):
We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

quote:

Soldier, aka Hugzilla:
A.E.G.I.S. put me in charge of the team at a crucial moment in the fight. Why? What went wrong?

quote:

Legacy, aka Arashiofordo3:
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

quote:

Star, aka Rauri:
We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

quote:

Protégé, aka Robodog:
We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2018 around 23:42