Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Don't they have one of these for The Matrix Online as well?

I played the trial, was jank as hell but I liked being able to do slo-mo kung fu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I can't install because of the stupid disk 2 error that stops the instillation dead in it's tracks.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
This poo poo was the star citizen of its time, so much wasted potential rip

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Linux Pirate posted:

I can't install because of the stupid disk 2 error that stops the instillation dead in it's tracks.

Have you tried ripping your own personal disk to .iso format first? unless the disk is physically damaged and data is unreadable this may help you.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

basic hitler posted:

If you liked eve for the aspects that let you play with the supressed sociopath inside you, it won't deliver you any joy in the slightest. It'd say it's still worth playing as someone who enjoyed the other aspects of eve (combat aside).
goon.txt right here

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
drat Matrix online was loving cool when no one knew that MMOs were supposed to be node clickers yet

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I was the guy who manipulated the anti decay kit market on the Starshiner server (or whatever it was called) jacking up prices from a baseline of like 50k to a maximum of 30mil or so. I think I was like 14 or 15 at the time too.

I'd constantly get flooded with pm's from idiots telling me how much of a capitalist gently caress scumbag I was (true) which would cause me to buy out all the other merchants trying to undercut me and resell for grossly inflated prices resulting in even more angry pms and a few visits by the game's 'moderators' after rampant reports of 'cheating'.

"No sorry ocifer, I'm just manipulating the gently caress out of the unregulated in-game economy I'm not running any hax"

Before that, there was the unregulated doctor buff market outside Corellia starport or whatever. The easiest way to break into that market was to make a waifu character doctor, add some stupid role playing sex text to your buff advertisments "Tee hee I'm just a young WET behind the ears doctor just trying to make her way in the universe!", and then undercut everyone by 5k-10k. Then once all the other "doctors" left the area after angry pms and no business, I'd jack up the prices again 1k-2k higher than the baseline was when I first got there.

I think even the dancers and musicians had some hosed up market racket poo poo going on too but I never got too far into that as it was way too larpy and creepy.

I can't remember, but I think there was some highly regarded weapon smith or armor smith on that server that got run out of the server as part of the contract for getting him to craft you armor/weapons at sooper high quality was to make you do a /kneel command while he would take his wookie avatar and force you to role play sucking him off or something.

Those were the days.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 13, 2018

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

if this was dark age of camelot id be there but nope im not a star warser

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Former DILF posted:

if this was city of heroes id be there but nope im not a star warser

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
my disk is in storage or i would play this weekend.

pvp in this game was broken as gently caress. combat medics could turn enemy health bars black so no regeneration could happen. tk artists could single-handedly stun lock enemies until they were dead. i wanna say snipers were broken too but can't remember the specifics.

fun game though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kak posted:

I don't understand what the point of playing a MMO that isn't being worked on anymore. What do you do once you run out of content.

It's like the people clamoring for vanilla WoW servers. All the content has been mapped out and played through. Everyone knows what the best classes/skill trees are. I don't get it/

only like 500 people on earth ever play any new wow content before this happens

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

mmos suck

grind until you reach the raid content then you have a standing date with dozens of other virgins to boop the digital doots

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Former DILF posted:

mmos suck

grind until you reach the raid content then you have a standing date with dozens of other virgins to boop the digital doots

SWG has a cool way around this in that everything, even starting out, is made bearable and more fun by talking to people, making friends, and doing things socially.

You know, those things Blizzard phased out of World Of Warcraft when they realized it was negatively imapcting their sub numbers.

SWGEmu exists in a space that simply doesn't exist anymore in the open market. Small to mid scale sandbox MMOs where socialization isn't just optional, but 100% necessary.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I played an swg emu server w goons a year or two back and it was kinda cool cuz jedi were in and it was fun to do that since I quit before they ever became a thing back in the day. And they're totally imba. I wouldny mind sampling jtl stuff if that ever gets put in, too.

For some reason though it just didnt stay fresh for nearly as long as like uo which I will still play on an emulated server for a few months once every few years. Probably cuz the pvp, especially group pvp, is just no where near as fun as oldschool uo's.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
thanks op but i’m no longer a teenager, so the combination of “having bills to pay” and “being aware that life is finite and fleeting” means I have no ability nor desire to play mmos anymore

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

God loving dammit I miss City of Heroes.

:same:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
out of all the stupid bullshit mmos that have been reverse-engineered, how has there never been a fan server of Motor City Online

yeah i know iRacing exists, it isn’t the same

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Galaxies was good poo poo. Janky, but good poo poo.

What do they have patched in on SWGEmu? I always wanted to try the spaceships thing.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

basic hitler posted:

Have you tried ripping your own personal disk to .iso format first? unless the disk is physically damaged and data is unreadable this may help you.

I tried this and the disk is "damaged" apparently. Is there any hope for me? I remember when the game was still live they had a patch to fix this (it was a common issue and my disk is actually undamaged). Should I ask at the SWGEmu forum?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Skypie posted:

Blizzard is actually releasing legacy servers soon and I'm looking forward to seeing the scales fall from people's eyes

They could tune it perfectly and it still wouldn't be the same thing from back in the day because we don't all have dialup and computers with less than 2 gb of ram.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have real unironic rose tinted memories of the vanilla wow honor system and 1.5 hour AB/WSG queues but I accept that this is merely mental illness

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The SWG crafting and resource extraction systems were incredible and this is the rare example of a good game that was ruined by having a license attached to it.

If it had been any kind of original IP instead of Star Wars it would've been huge.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Linux Pirate posted:

I tried this and the disk is "damaged" apparently. Is there any hope for me? I remember when the game was still live they had a patch to fix this (it was a common issue and my disk is actually undamaged). Should I ask at the SWGEmu forum?

If it was a common problem there is likely a discussion and solution on the swgemu forums. I was drat luxky to find my original disks in near perfect condition years ago and since digital distribution wasnt quite a thing yet i made backups. I never had problems with installing but im sure the forums have a solution

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
What are the server populations like in this?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
A friend had this game... He was a beastmaster, and had tamed I think 5 giant 'dinosaur' creatures. You could set your pets to patrol via a waypoint system, and attack any aggressors they encountered. It was pretty ingenious.

... Except what he did, was have all 5 of his dinosaurs patrol inside this trading outpost on a desert planet. Also, each time they moved, it caused a bit of screen shake (if I recall) and made loud "boom boom Boom BOOM BOOM!" sound effects, blocking people's line-of-sight to traders, merchants, and others.

It resulted in a lot of...

"Looking to trade some..."
"Boom BOOM boom boom BOOM BOOM boom.... boom BOOM BOOM.... BOOM"

"DUDE, WTF stop it with the..."
"Boom boom Boom BOOM BOOM BOOOM bo-boombo bobobooom boom boom BOOM"

"Move your stupid pets I can't"
"BOOM BOOM BOOM boom BOOM BOOM"

(Players attacks a pet - all five converge on the offender)
"BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM Ughghguhgughgughgughu"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Inescapable Duck posted:

God loving dammit I miss City of Heroes.

Yeah that was some good poo poo. I still have the CDs somewhere in the garage!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Guigui posted:

A friend had this game... He was a beastmaster, and had tamed I think 5 giant 'dinosaur' creatures. You could set your pets to patrol via a waypoint system, and attack any aggressors they encountered. It was pretty ingenious.

... Except what he did, was have all 5 of his dinosaurs patrol inside this trading outpost on a desert planet. Also, each time they moved, it caused a bit of screen shake (if I recall) and made loud "boom boom Boom BOOM BOOM!" sound effects, blocking people's line-of-sight to traders, merchants, and others.

It resulted in a lot of...

"Looking to trade some..."
"Boom BOOM boom boom BOOM BOOM boom.... boom BOOM BOOM.... BOOM"

"DUDE, WTF stop it with the..."
"Boom boom Boom BOOM BOOM BOOOM bo-boombo bobobooom boom boom BOOM"

"Move your stupid pets I can't"
"BOOM BOOM BOOM boom BOOM BOOM"

(Players attacks a pet - all five converge on the offender)
"BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM Ughghguhgughgughgughu"

This is the kind of gameplay you just don't get in a modern AAA mmo

In wow where the green dragon world bosses were in the hinterlands there were packs of 3 elite dragon adds that you could kite all the way to ironforge and just run laps around the ring and one of them did an aoe root that would kill all the low level alts in the city. Good times

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

poverty goat posted:

This is the kind of gameplay you just don't get in a modern AAA mmo

In wow where the green dragon world bosses were in the hinterlands there were packs of 3 elite dragon adds that you could kite all the way to ironforge and just run laps around the ring and one of them did an aoe root that would kill all the low level alts in the city. Good times

this is why playing eve with goonswarm is no fun anymore, it’s just a ton of people from reddit playing the game as designed, earnestly and unironically

i miss the days when the devs spent a serious chunk of their time and design decisions just un-loving all the ways we would break the game

it fuckin’ sucks but mittani has to pay his rent somehow i guess

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Yah in vanilla wow since you couldn't transfer it was actually relevant to know who the movers and shakers on the server were, who controlled the world bosses, who led public mc raids, who were the jerks and scammers, etc. it was not as accessible but it was something people have nostalgia for.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I played SWG back at launch -

It was a pretty engaging game at times. Other times it was like getting dick-punched over and over, especially regarding holocron grinding and trying to "unlock" Jedi. Luckily I was one of the few that didnt give two shits and was very content to run a mining guild empire called "Wakimaru Industries" - I was one of the my server's major prospectors and miners for ultra-high grade steel and reactive gas, which everyone needed to craft weapons/blasters and if I remember, mandalorian armor. I got so space rich, I quit playing with something like 500mil credits on my character and probably millions worth of materials in my inventory when NGE released.

I could never play this janky game again though, it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience good or bad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this is why playing eve with goonswarm is no fun anymore, it’s just a ton of people from reddit playing the game as designed, earnestly and unironically

i miss the days when the devs spent a serious chunk of their time and design decisions just un-loving all the ways we would break the game

it fuckin’ sucks but mittani has to pay his rent somehow i guess

Is that really what goonwaffe is like now? I know karmafleet was awful from the get-go but i figured it was as much containment as it was a cheap labor pool

The fuckery in eve with goons and maybe drunk theta squad home defense operations in deklein were the only reasons i played and GSF doesn't even have dek anymore.

I started to play again a couple of months ago but i talked to some people in jabber and looked around at the state of things and i was like... nah this isn't what i want.

SWGEMU doesn't have strong PVP/grief potential but it has a far more actualized economy and the sandbox allows for far more depth in play than Eve which looks like a spreadsheet when you're "doing it right"

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Zane posted:

Yah in vanilla wow since you couldn't transfer it was actually relevant to know who the movers and shakers on the server were, who controlled the world bosses, who led public mc raids, who were the jerks and scammers, etc. it was not as accessible but it was something people have nostalgia for.

Especially on the PvP servers.

Once a friend of mine (same one coincidentally in the example above) as a horde hunter hunter and I as a druid, came across this really decked-out rogue riding past us on amount, so naturally we ambushed and killed him, but it was a real knife-fight... Only then did we discover that he was the top-tiered rogue for the guild that was farming Naxxaramas (prior to the burning crusade expansion) - he was in Naxx gear, and we were barely out of our PvP blues.

Needless to say we pretty much rattled the hornet's nest, and his top-tiered guild delayed their Naxx raid to scour all the plaguelands and sillithus killing any horde they came across, demanding our heads as revenge.

Granted, my friend just added oil to fire by egging that guild on the Warcraft message boards - so that certainly didn't help.
A lot of "GODDAMN IT ********, I just wanted to farm twilight texts - and you had to just go around staring World war 3!" from our guild.

... good times.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah it was nice that realms had communities in those days, and bad players were effectively policed out of the entry-level end-game content.

Those people took to the forums to cry about "not having enough time to raid or learn the basic mechanics of this class i paid to have farmed to the level cap because i actually have a life" because admitting the game and the community that built up around it was basically saying you're a dickhead and nobody should have to play with you since you don't listen and won't learn" is actually not 100% good for the raw bottom line of a company that had just been purchased by a publically traded, god-awful game publisher who was only looking at wow as a money bucket and gave zero fucks about what destroying the community aspects would do to a game like WoW.

It was a loving farce; i played with 30 and 40 somethings with 9 to 5s and families who found time to raid WoW because they liked the group and they liked the challenge.

Turns out it becomes a forgettable boring solo RPG nobody will remember except to play 1.13 servers the same way people play SWGEMU to play a version of a dead mmo that hadn't existed for years when the game actually shut down.

Even more evidence of this being when someone hacked the EQMac client to work on PCs, which was frozen in development from the Planes of Power days, so it was effectively old-school everquest in the 2010s, and it had a population explosion as suddenly there was an old school-ish EQ server with official support instead of the obsessive work of grognards who will ban you for the pettiest poo poo imaginable.

People like what those MMOs offered, and it has nothing to do with nostalgia, but using social interaction as a mandatory element of a challenging RPG - THat doesn't loving exist anymore outside of like, dark souls bosses.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I’ve tried to play modern MMOs and the combination of limited time, the new design philosophy, and the lack of community prevents me from really playing any for more than a few weeks. I think the most fun I’ve had in recent years was playing Ark (not an MMO) with a group of goons and getting to know them through the process. I also enjoyed Black Desert for the non-combat aspects, but that wore thin when I realized it was single-player business-manager online.

OP mentioned it already but I’ll reiterate - design philosophies have really changed in the MMO world these days. Most MMOs are soul crushing grind mills until you reach raid content. You group with people but there’s hardly a sense of community. People don’t identify with a city or area in the game, it’s all linked with fast travel. What’s really missing is that early computer gaming era sense of wonder and awe. Over the last two decades people have just gotten too good at min-maxing and identifying metas and playing games at max efficiency. Content is described in detail before it is released and explored within hours or days.

My fondest rose-tinted memories are of Asheron’s Call in 1999. Back then, people actually built meaningful communities. It was hard to travel so you’d base out of one city for extended periods of time - because of that, you’d run into a lot of the same people and would get to know them over time. Knowledge was shared in game, not posted on wikis and guides, so you’d hear about dungeons and tactics through word of mouth. It was great. I particularly enjoyed AC due to its open world nature - you could go anywhere you wanted, provided you could survive. There were incentives to explore and build communities that were inherent in the game design and the era, not explicitly rewarded by game mechanics. I appreciate the nostalgia-fueled desire to recreate old games, but I don’t feel that the early MMO era of AC/EQ/UO can ever be truly reproduced.

Nowadays I can’t compete with the no-lifers. I don’t find any joy in exploring theme-park MMOs (e.g. Guild Wars 2). And “numbers go up up up” skinner-boxes just don’t do it for me anymore. Happy to just remember the fun times fondly and do something else.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Steak posted:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Ruggan posted:

I’ve tried to play modern MMOs and the combination of limited time, the new design philosophy, and the lack of community prevents me from really playing any for more than a few weeks. I think the most fun I’ve had in recent years was playing Ark (not an MMO) with a group of goons and getting to know them through the process. I also enjoyed Black Desert for the non-combat aspects, but that wore thin when I realized it was single-player business-manager online.

OP mentioned it already but I’ll reiterate - design philosophies have really changed in the MMO world these days. Most MMOs are soul crushing grind mills until you reach raid content. You group with people but there’s hardly a sense of community. People don’t identify with a city or area in the game, it’s all linked with fast travel. What’s really missing is that early computer gaming era sense of wonder and awe. Over the last two decades people have just gotten too good at min-maxing and identifying metas and playing games at max efficiency. Content is described in detail before it is released and explored within hours or days.

My fondest rose-tinted memories are of Asheron’s Call in 1999. Back then, people actually built meaningful communities. It was hard to travel so you’d base out of one city for extended periods of time - because of that, you’d run into a lot of the same people and would get to know them over time. Knowledge was shared in game, not posted on wikis and guides, so you’d hear about dungeons and tactics through word of mouth. It was great. I particularly enjoyed AC due to its open world nature - you could go anywhere you wanted, provided you could survive. There were incentives to explore and build communities that were inherent in the game design and the era, not explicitly rewarded by game mechanics. I appreciate the nostalgia-fueled desire to recreate old games, but I don’t feel that the early MMO era of AC/EQ/UO can ever be truly reproduced.

Nowadays I can’t compete with the no-lifers. I don’t find any joy in exploring theme-park MMOs (e.g. Guild Wars 2). And “numbers go up up up” skinner-boxes just don’t do it for me anymore. Happy to just remember the fun times fondly and do something else.

thats the funny thing; the games were mechanically even more simplistic skinner boxes back then, but the other good stuff you describe was there. like, fuckin everquest barely had quests, 75% of leveling was just grinding mobs. but the world size and complexity was unprecedented, as was the degree to which you could cooperate with other human players. those aren’t new or exciting things anymore. those plus the sense of community was a game management priority so it worked in its time

i knew people who flew out on vacation to other parts of the US expressly to hang out with people from their mmo guilds irl

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Asheron's Call was the kind of game where you could create a portal to literally anywhere and a ton of low level players would say "Thanks!" before jumping in to get murdered. They didn't give a poo poo where it went they were just along for the ride

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Steak posted:

There's around a thousand people on at any given time, more than peak hours. As of right now there are 1500 people on.

Almost everything works correctly. All the classes are 100% implemented except for the ship crafter as the spaceship expansion is not implemented at all.

To give an idea of the economy in this game:

There are a bunch of crafting classes. Weaponsmith, armorsmith, droid engineer, chef, architect, even a tailor. Each crafting class requires components made by other classes to craft a lot of their poo poo, or to enhance it.

You can hunt creatures to collect components to sell to crafters.

There's a resource system with different kind of metals, gas, plastics, chemicals, even berries and other foodstuff etc you can extract yourself or plop down harvesters to mine. Resources have a few different variable stats, and they eventually despawn and are replaced by something else. Knowing that there's a current awesome spawn out there, and then knowing where to find it in high quantities is valuable in itself.

There's a pretty minimal time investment as far as grinding goes. Once you have somewhat of an idea of what to do it's pretty easy to master any of the classes in a short amount of time.

The game is cool and could have been a monster but the team at SOE running it were completely retarded. I think them pulling off the awesome economy was a complete fluke on their part. And then they went ahead and killed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's an article where a guy on the team that finally launched SWG basically writes a tell-all and explains he was hired late in development and the assets he was given were essentially unusuable, so SWG was made in a loving hurry. Jedi were intended to be a community-project in that the selection process would involve secret GM surveillance of candidates and actual secret events to uncover that would only trigger when told by the game masters, the trade off was that jedi would be so powerful that to truly become one was supposed to be a huge honor and more or less a gift for being a prominent and useful community member

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/star-wars-galaxies-and-the-disastrous-nge-update-w484403

• Locked thread