Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Linux Pirate posted:

There is a guide on how to run it on a Mac via Crossover or Wineskin in the FAQ link I posted.

Awesome, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Internetjack posted:

Check your Datapad for your speeder, key "T" I think. That's where I found mine when I thought I lost it.

Well thanks, there it was. I never would have thought to look there.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Change your control scheme to FPS in options. The default setting is sure to make you so loving angry and frustrated you'll exit this game and uninstll it minutes after making a character.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like the default scheme.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The city finally cycled, so we are bigger and have more room, it was starting to get awkward about placing houses and i was having to place houses in an orderly fashion to prevent chaos. Now that's less an issue, and i can now tax!! i have not set taxes though. I did not get very much politician xp last time around so i can't do a drat thing, really. i need more votes yall!!!! if you want to play, i have a few million in credits, and i have a small crate of swoops, and generally a lot of poo poo i didn't have at the outset. A goon was in the process of axing his account and i got him to hand over some high end mats and some credits to me instead. We need about seven more for the next city rank.

Come live in the Caliphate of Afgoonistan, on a lovely jungle world. I can piece together a starter kit for anyone who does, i'm definitely not spending all these credits by myself.

The server is also down, but get prepped, and hang out in discord anyway, and join us in-game when it comes back up some time eventually probably tomorrow!!

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

I would be into this if Jump to Lightspeed was working because that was the best space sim of its day and has still not been equalled.

Being able to take a fully-developed MMO character into space in a fully-realized spaceship where you can get up from your seat and walk around and decorate it and customize it and use it as a flying space house and also go on joystick-oriented space action missions with it and have your friends join you in crewing it was totally unique at the time. So far as I know no one else even attempted to replicate any of these features until Star Citizen.

Every space game since JTL has been a huge disappointment where you are not so much piloting a spacecraft as becoming a spacecraft or directing a little spaceship-shaped icon around with mouse clicks. It's the weirdest thing, seeing people in multiple space game forums scoff at how laughably impossible such mechanics supposedly are when they were already thoroughly accomplished *decades* ago by Sony loving Online Goddamn Entertainment of all things and then somehow forgotten.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

basic hitler posted:

The city finally cycled, so we are bigger and have more room, it was starting to get awkward about placing houses and i was having to place houses in an orderly fashion to prevent chaos. Now that's less an issue, and i can now tax!! i have not set taxes though. I did not get very much politician xp last time around so i can't do a drat thing, really. i need more votes yall!!!! if you want to play, i have a few million in credits, and i have a small crate of swoops, and generally a lot of poo poo i didn't have at the outset. A goon was in the process of axing his account and i got him to hand over some high end mats and some credits to me instead. We need about seven more for the next city rank.

Come live in the Caliphate of Afgoonistan, on a lovely jungle world. I can piece together a starter kit for anyone who does, i'm definitely not spending all these credits by myself.

The server is also down, but get prepped, and hang out in discord anyway, and join us in-game when it comes back up some time eventually probably tomorrow!!

Before I knew where you guys were, I placed a house on Tatooine. Can I still be apart of Afgoonistan even if I don't live there?

Also do you guys ever group up and do quests like the corellian corvette or deathwatch bunker? I wants me a AV-21 landspeeder and some Mando armor.

Companion Cube posted:

I would be into this if Jump to Lightspeed was working because that was the best space sim of its day and has still not been equalled.

Being able to take a fully-developed MMO character into space in a fully-realized spaceship where you can get up from your seat and walk around and decorate it and customize it and use it as a flying space house and also go on joystick-oriented space action missions with it and have your friends join you in crewing it was totally unique at the time. So far as I know no one else even attempted to replicate any of these features until Star Citizen.

Every space game since JTL has been a huge disappointment where you are not so much piloting a spacecraft as becoming a spacecraft or directing a little spaceship-shaped icon around with mouse clicks. It's the weirdest thing, seeing people in multiple space game forums scoff at how laughably impossible such mechanics supposedly are when they were already thoroughly accomplished *decades* ago by Sony loving Online Goddamn Entertainment of all things and then somehow forgotten.

That's what they are currently focusing and working on, and possibly atmospheric flight later down the road once JTL is included. I made a thread about it on their forums and an retired dev told me it is coming along well. I'd start now and get some credits so you can buy a good ship once it's implemented

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Linux Pirate posted:

Before I knew where you guys were, I placed a house on Tatooine. Can I still be apart of Afgoonistan even if I don't live there?

Also do you guys ever group up and do quests like the corellian corvette or deathwatch bunker? I wants me a AV-21 landspeeder and some Mando armor.

That's what they are currently focusing and working on, and possibly atmospheric flight later down the road once JTL is included. I made a thread about it on their forums and an retired dev told me it is coming along well. I'd start now and get some credits so you can buy a good ship once it's implemented

you can have both houses! you can be in the guild too, but to be in the guild you have to come to the town anyway so you know, come for the guild stay for a house and a bike, and just vote 4 mostell tismeer!!!

Some people ran Warren the other day. I was absent from that and i would have joined them if i wasn't laid up. i want to get around to doing fort tusken some day, and i never did any of the theme parks on live so it'll be a first for me, they sound moderately interesting.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

basic hitler posted:

Now that's less an issue, and i can now tax!! i have not set taxes though.

Would you say that, like the founder of this site, you support a low... financial burden on the poor?

Also I need to bring my two alts around to get citizenship. How do I vote?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'll probably set taxes when it wouldn't just pointlessly burden some of the buildings that are abandoned leftovers like the mantina and medical center, just so there's some in-flow and i'm not covering the check solely every cycle as it gets more and more expensive to exist. for now it's not pricey enough to be a problem.

to vote you walk to the city hall (the giant tattooine building), and in the central area there's a terminal you can cast a vote with if you have a character with city residency.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 15, 2018

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

basic hitler posted:

you can have both houses! you can be in the guild too, but to be in the guild you have to come to the town anyway so you know, come for the guild stay for a house and a bike, and just vote 4 mostell tismeer!!!

Some people ran Warren the other day. I was absent from that and i would have joined them if i wasn't laid up. i want to get around to doing fort tusken some day, and i never did any of the theme parks on live so it'll be a first for me, they sound moderately interesting.

Coolio. I'll drop by once the server is back up.

I remember going to Fort Tusken a lot back when SWG was live. It's a fun time, and a good place to grind if you need to. Just don't get separated from ya buds or you're in for a world of hurt.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Since everyone can have 10 characters, you can vote 10 times. Small houses have pretty low maintenance.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Server is back up yall!

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

basic hitler posted:

If you do Fort Tusken, be careful and don't go through the cave. There's three (Witch Doctor, Observer, and Executioner) that will push your face in and they all hang out in the same room. They hit for a ton, have a lot of HP, and have a really nasty bleed.

Edit: Handy website for crafters https://galaxyharvester.net
It shows what materials are currently available, usually with locations. You can also filter alerts to your choosing and have it send you emails when something you need pops up.

Malkof fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 15, 2018

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
I'm very tempted to look into this. I was pretty active back in live and shenanigans with the goons on Naboo are some of my all time favorite MMO memories.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There is another naboo era goon in discord, xakep

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Opened a 99c Store in Goontown. Mostly poo poo, but some of my many, many, many crafted mineral processor deeds are up for sale there for 99c, so check it out sometime.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/galaxies-mmo-baby/

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This captured the essence of what my first time in the game was like. I was about a year late to the launch party but it still felt like a frontier.

I just placed a couple of bank terminals in The Caliphate Of Afgoonistan. Next week i can plop a cloning center and maybe a vehicle garage, assuming there's a rank 3 slot available on dantooine right now.

I haven't had net for a while but I'm bumping this now that I can form a militia to handle city affairs in my absence and i'm playing for the time being

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 2, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bumping this just in case this somehow gets to the relevant people:

:frogsiren:If there's a chance in hell the owner of these structures in goontown could be contacted:
:frogsiren:

The Mantina

St. Lowtax's Malpractice Clinic

I can't even determine the character names who own these buildings, but I would very much like to have the ownership of these buildings transferred so that I can maintain them. They're like, as old as the rest of the abandoned town and who knows how much maintenance is in them. The Mantina is stocked full of cool poo poo and given how old it likely is, who loving knows how long it'll be there if we can't get new owners to administrate it. I really don't want to have to replace these lovingly decorated works of art.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Come and join us! This is pretty neat once you start getting the hang of it!

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I checked it out about nine months ago. Anyone who has the discs should give it a shot, if only for nostalgia. The population is enough to keep the main cities active. The minor cities are pretty dead, but to be fair they were dead in the original game anyway. Jabba's Palace had about 10 or so players running around at prime time. At the very least it's a fading image of the path not taken in MMOs, and it still makes me wonder if the market might not suck so badly if they had.

Even the obscure fishing minigame is in, and I was making a killing on fish meat before I realized no one wanted to buy the mounts I had so carefully tamed and trained. :colbert:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i flailed at krayt dragons last for a while night. hit master doc, and if i loving get around to buying some decent buffs i can probably start buffing as needed.

i really like this game and i do wish mmos had gone down this path instead of being seduced by themepark mmo treadmills.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I've got two main characters I play. A novice chef and an eventual commando/tk master.

1. Anyone have a need for a particular food or drink buff? If so I can get to the requisite skill first and start selling for cheap.

2. What's the best way to train combat, both with unarmed and all the guns, while pre-tk and pre- marksman master?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

TequilaJesus posted:

2. What's the best way to train combat, both with unarmed and all the guns, while pre-tk and pre- marksman master?

Area attack skills are OP. Get buffed and go murder creature hives by spamming area attack. Walk around the countryside and annihilate everything (that won't kill you first).

For unarmed, get the +unarmed damage food.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

How exactly did they get data to set up the emu? I know we have the client, for the UI, renderer etc, but pretty much everything we see and do is generated serverside isn’t it? city layouts, POIs, mobs etc.
Did a SWG server source get leaked or something?

Carl Weathers
Sep 12, 2012

oversteer posted:

How exactly did they get data to set up the emu? I know we have the client, for the UI, renderer etc, but pretty much everything we see and do is generated serverside isn’t it? city layouts, POIs, mobs etc.

Just about everything SWGEmu team has done for their own serverside code relies on archived forum posts and referencing the client. City layouts are client side, "world snapshot" files. They are a map of sorts that positions everything in place and also creates the portal objects that allow you to enter inside a building/dungeon/cave etc. The server loads the world snapshot for each planet and loads it into a client object database, so that if the client does not have a matching world snapshot file, they won't be able to gently caress around and make their own hobbit holes or whatever.

The white dots are client objects, basically anything you see on the map. What they CAN'T pull from the client is almost all NPCs, loot tables, some specific combat poo poo and god knows what else. POIs for example are marked by a datatable clientside, but the actual coordinates you have to be at to get the badge (if there is one) is way off because they had to add it themselves.

tl;dr most poo poo came from the client. the rest is guesswork.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

oversteer posted:

there was leaked sourcecode for the final build of the game, however the emulator we play on (basilisk) uses publish 14, where jedi advancement is thru the village and not holocron grinding, and no permadeath but instead skill loss.

Carl Weathers
Sep 12, 2012
As expected, this fell apart for the gooniest reasons. Basically Hitler did something he is technically not supposed to do, talked about it in open air on Discord, someone in there reported him and he had a grand meltdown over it. Way2Go.

If any goons give a poo poo about playing anymore, I can help you out. I've got cities on Tatooine and a pre-existing established guild.

Why the gently caress is this in GBS, who gives a poo poo. well thats my story ok b

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
So you come in here and tease us about a meltdown and there's no transcript or even summary?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

basic hitler posted:

there was leaked sourcecode for the final build of the game, however the emulator we play on (basilisk) uses publish 14, where jedi advancement is thru the village and not holocron grinding, and no permadeath but instead skill loss.
Holy poo poo the village was poo poo, why use that? At least with the Holocrons - as poo poo a system that was - Jedi were rare, and decent, and permadeath was a counter balance.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Breakfast Feud posted:

So you come in here and tease us about a meltdown and there's no transcript or even summary?

Yeah what happened? I picked up my SWG box set (complete with red New Lower Price! sticker) the last time I visited my parents and was ready to get in on the action. what did you do hitler

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I drove 816 miles round trip to get my SWG CDs. I demand an explanation, hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Durzel posted:

Holy poo poo the village was poo poo, why use that? At least with the Holocrons - as poo poo a system that was - Jedi were rare, and decent, and permadeath was a counter balance.

The village was abysmal, I’m glad someone agrees with me on this. gently caress grinding.

Koster had a much better idea for Jedi but they never went for it https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

The true end game of SWG was house decorating and, eventually, ship decorating.

• Locked thread