Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hugh Malone posted:

I had pho twice this weekend

What the he'll did I eat

You truly live a life of luxurious süpsmanship.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
There was a little tub of red stuff to go in the pho...

It was warm, and liquid.

Did they give me soup to add to the soup?

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
If we're going down the road to sauces, salsas, and chutneys this could get to be way too much for me.

----------------

Koishi Komeiji

I've just discovered that they make broths for cats that have chunks of meat in them.

Gentlemen, this completely turns everything we thought we knew about soup on it's head. This must have been what it felt like when they discovered that the earth was round and they had to rewrite all the science books.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I've just discovered that they make broths for cats that have chunks of meat in them.

Gentlemen, this completely turns everything we thought we knew about soup on it's head. This must have been what it felt like when they discovered that the earth was round and they had to rewrite all the science books.

Do you spell it catsoup or ketchoup?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Just listen to yourselves! Soups within soups? Solid soups? It's all nonsense, there is no soup. Soup is so clearly not real that an attempt to define it dissembles in one's hands.

I defy you to prove the existence of soup.

Sig by Heather Papps

Koishi Komeiji

canyoneer posted:

Do you spell it catsoup or ketchoup?

It's a broth so it would be purroth or meowastroni.

Baller Ina

:whattheeucharist:
Why is it always soup OR salad

What is with those two that they can’t share a simple meal together

----------------

alnilam

drilldo squirt posted:

You see the chunks as a solid mass but that itself is a lie, it is a soup of atoms. An atomic soup making up parts of a larger soup that constitutes mere "chunks" of an even larger soup and so on unto infinity.

truly j j thompson was ahead of his time

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
He is the soup looking inward.

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baller Ina posted:

It's simply another failing of market capitalism.

----------------

sb hermit

Baller Ina posted:

sandwich doesn’t want to be alone

no one wants to be the 3rd wheel

this is how drama happens :smith:

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

el dorito posted:

sandwich doesn’t want to be alone

no one wants to be the 3rd wheel

this is how drama happens :smith:

man sandwich really needs to get his poo poo back together and get back on the proverbial horse. Or whatever the light mid-day meal equivalent of a horse is.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

alnilam posted:

also it has been established that the universe is NOT a bowl

u been smokin the wrong bowl mi amigo

Twenty Four

Baller Ina posted:

Next time you go to a restaurant and get asked this question, lay your palms flat on the table, look the server dead in the eye, and coolly say "both".

Twenty Four

Starman Super DX posted:

whatever the light mid-day meal equivalent of a horse is.

Shetland pony

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
seriously though soup is some bullshit

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Gone Fashing posted:

seriously though soup is some bullshit

my mother literally once described soup as "let's just get all the crap in the fridge and put it in boiling water."

gently caress that tho soup is boss as hell imo :colbert:

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
my fave kinda soup is cornbread and milk :allears:

Chasterson

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whats the deal with wontons and tortellinis?

When does one become the other?

Is there some middle soup that is neither wonton nor tortellini?

What would we call that soup?

is it the namelessness of that soup that allows wontons and tortellinis to exist as discreet soups?

----------------

Scroon

We've spent so much time wondering what soup IS, nobody has thought to ask what soup wants to be.

Scroon

For instance, a Souperhero!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Just listen to yourselves! Soups within soups? Solid soups? It's all nonsense, there is no soup. Soup is so clearly not real that an attempt to define it dissembles in one's hands.

I defy you to prove the existence of soup.

Yours is a veritable cacaphony of letters stewing in a broth of denial and increduality! A literal alphabet soup, if you will. Soup Theory easily replaces String Theory, for at the quantum level we are all merely soups of our own thread. What I'm trying to say is we swim in our clothes

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Splatmaster posted:

Yours is a veritable cacaphony of letters stewing in a broth of denial and increduality! A literal alphabet soup, if you will. Soup Theory easily replaces String Theory, for at the quantum level we are all merely soups of our own thread. What I'm trying to say is we swim in our clothes

If everything is soup then what is the bowl? If there are no chunks then where are the limits of this "soup" you've seen fit to define as real, and having boundaries, even though those boundaries are indistinguishable from the soup/non-soup question?

Seriously, if the soup definition is so broad as to include all matter then there are no bowls, no ladles, no spoons. An all-soup universe is a lovely sentiment but it inherently wrecks the ability of soup as a defined entitity to exist.

There is no soup. Sorry for your loss.

Sig by Heather Papps

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

If everything is soup then what is the bowl? If there are no chunks then where are the limits of this "soup" you've seen fit to define as real, and having boundaries, even though those boundaries are indistinguishable from the soup/non-soup question?

Seriously, if the soup definition is so broad as to include all matter then there are no bowls, no ladles, no spoons. An all-soup universe is a lovely sentiment but it inherently wrecks the ability of soup as a defined entitity to exist.

There is no soup. Sorry for your loss.

Your brainpan is the bowl, your curiousity is the ladle in which you gather up the soup and your concious thought is the spoon, consuming at your leisure. You have all you need to enjoy a nice bowl of reality served at the temperature of your choosing!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Baller Ina posted:

Because salad is reverse soup with the water contained inside the wet chunks, it is the polar opposite of soup.

If they were placed on the same table they smash together and it's a big mess

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
The Large Hadron Collider is just fancy talk for "soup maker". It just does it a little quicker is all

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
An excerpt from Heidegger's Zum Sein des Eintopfs [Toward the Being of Soup] from 1924.

The metaphysical question has, from the earliest moments of Western gastronomy, been covered over by the dogmatic forgetfulness of Being, and, far from overcoming or, more properly uncovering, the question of the being of Being, modern thought has re-covered the substantive question with a technological one. Ancient man addressed himself to enumerating the properties of soup. Modern man, to the extent he concerns himself with the question at all, elaborates the technical procedure for creating soup. But neither a list of properties nor a series of steps reveal the Being of soup.

What is it that is called 'soup' [Eintopf]? What is it that allows the being present of soup to Dasein? This is the real question, the covered over question that has simmered beneath notice from the beginning, because soup is not a collection of attributes inhering in a substance nor is it the product of a technical process, but instead the single act of soup-being-present-to-Dasein.

Let us recover the question of soup from the trace left in etymology.

Scroon

I may not know Soup but I know what I like

And I like soup

BoldFrankensteinMir

This thread has certainly given me lots to stew over.

Sig by Heather Papps

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Barking Gecko posted:

Perhaps chili (or even cereal) is a thing which can take on the properties of either a soup or a sandwich, depending on the situation, and how the thing is observed.

The Heisenburger Uncertainty Principle, of course, which has particular application to soup research.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Science's obsession with some kind of all-encompassing unified restaurant, a "Soup or Symmetry", reveals a sad tendency towards a stove-top reductionism that is, frankly, oversouplification.

Sig by Heather Papps

Twenty Four

Scroon posted:

We've spent so much time wondering what soup IS, nobody has thought to ask what soup wants to be.

Scroon posted:

Scroon

In his sunken house of Pr'g Resso, dead Soupthulhu lies dreaming

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Scroon is doing so much good work in this soup lab.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Scroon for Souperintendent!

Scroon

I ACCEPT

Epilepsy warning

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

An excerpt from Heidegger's Zum Sein des Eintopfs [Toward the Being of Soup] from 1924.

The metaphysical question has, from the earliest moments of Western gastronomy, been covered over by the dogmatic forgetfulness of Being, and, far from overcoming or, more properly uncovering, the question of the being of Being, modern thought has re-covered the substantive question with a technological one. Ancient man addressed himself to enumerating the properties of soup. Modern man, to the extent he concerns himself with the question at all, elaborates the technical procedure for creating soup. But neither a list of properties nor a series of steps reveal the Being of soup.

What is it that is called 'soup' [Eintopf]? What is it that allows the being present of soup to Dasein? This is the real question, the covered over question that has simmered beneath notice from the beginning, because soup is not a collection of attributes inhering in a substance nor is it the product of a technical process, but instead the single act of soup-being-present-to-Dasein.

Let us recover the question of soup from the trace left in etymology.

:thunk:

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scroon posted:

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Scroon posted:

In his sunken house of Pr'g Resso, dead Soupthulhu lies dreaming

:krakken:

ty nesamdoom!

• Locked thread