Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

spog posted:

https://www.iconlifesaver.com/product/lifesaver-jerrycan-10000uf/

Not cheap, but they get 2,500 gallons out of a replaceable filter, so that's almost 2 year's supply for a family of 4

dang this is pretty cool. i even checked infowars and they have a "preparedness" section in their store with some pretty cool stuff. i can see how people get swept up in the prepper stuff, i might buy this filter and other emergency survival crap next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
lovely ui is one thing but i feel like there should have been double verification from the get go.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Monos Bullet posted:

dang this is pretty cool. i even checked infowars and they have a "preparedness" section in their store with some pretty cool stuff. i can see how people get swept up in the prepper stuff, i might buy this filter and other emergency survival crap next month.

My light research a while ago suggests that this company has a best filter on the market and they had videos of processing poo poo-filled water into drinking water.

It seems that when things go wrong, the issue is not a lack of water, it is a lack of clean water as the drains all back up and dump poo poo into the water that is available.

So you ended up surrounded by lots of water, but can't drink any of it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Monos Bullet posted:

Cool. Your family will give some sweet dropped loot

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Prepping vendors have failed to monetize different survival strategies. For a monthly fee you could receive either prepper loot boxes or find out who in your neighborhood is buying the most equipment.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

Houston and Phoenix are in the top 5 of largest US cities and have extremely lax gun laws

By what retarded metric are those real cities give me a break

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Cool. Your family will give some sweet dropped loot

this is a good point. i should buy some guns before getting too invested in this. of course if i die in the initial blast and scavengers pick up the loot among my shattered remains i think that's fair and i'd be glad for them.

whats the most practical and legal weapon to get that will hold back hordes of desperate looters and fema officials? im looking at an rpg on one website but idk what the legal requirements for that are and it probably wouldn't actually be useful although it'd look badass :cool:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Monos Bullet posted:

whats the most practical and legal weapon to get that will hold back hordes of desperate looters and fema officials?

A missile.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Monos Bullet posted:

I recommend the MSR Guardian - it has a self-cleaning filter, etc.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

lovely ui is one thing but i feel like there should have been double verification from the get go.

not even necessarily that. a classification system that identified 'safe' and 'real' alerts and places an automatic countdown on the real alerts to give the person at the controls time to revert would be ideal. so if you send a test message basically it just sends it but if you mash the apocalypse button it starts a 20 second countdown with lots of big bold red letters to get your attention to make sure it's for real.

but i've seen & built enough 'bespoke' backend systems that this drop down idiocy doesn't surprise me at all

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

like if he selected the right thing and the wrong thing happened then sure, blame the devs. But they're blaming devs for lovely UI which is retarded because devs end up with virtually no say in that

you’re forgetting that software engineers are literally the only people on the planet who give any kind of a poo poo about distinguishing between job descriptions in software development.

as in, to anyone other than a computer toucher you’re saying “no these software people didn’t do it, it’s these software people, IDIOTS!!!!” and it just sounds whiny because who gives a poo poo about mincing words and delving into subgenres of software people

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you’re forgetting that software engineers are literally the only people on the planet who give any kind of a poo poo about distinguishing between job descriptions in software development.

as in, to anyone other than a computer toucher you’re saying “no these software people didn’t do it, it’s these software people, IDIOTS!!!!” and it just sounds whiny because who gives a poo poo about mincing words and delving into subgenres of software people

Those stupid job titles are important to gaming the visa system too

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Monos Bullet posted:

this is a good point. i should buy some guns before getting too invested in this. of course if i die in the initial blast and scavengers pick up the loot among my shattered remains i think that's fair and i'd be glad for them.

whats the most practical and legal weapon to get that will hold back hordes of desperate looters and fema officials? im looking at an rpg on one website but idk what the legal requirements for that are and it probably wouldn't actually be useful although it'd look badass :cool:

My advice is to find who the dominate 1% motorcycle club is in your area and join*.

*joining club may cause death before missile.

Wait. Does Hawaii even have MC’s? Seems like being on an island would severely limit the whole long range trips thing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Dr.Caligari posted:

My advice is to find who the dominate 1% motorcycle club is in your area and join*.

*joining club may cause death before missile.

Wait. Does Hawaii even have MC’s? Seems like being on an island would severely limit the whole long range trips thing.

if a place has drugs, liquor, and big titties then yes there is bound to be at least a few three patch jackets around

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

spog posted:

My light research a while ago suggests that this company has a best filter on the market and they had videos of processing poo poo-filled water into drinking water.

It seems that when things go wrong, the issue is not a lack of water, it is a lack of clean water as the drains all back up and dump poo poo into the water that is available.

So you ended up surrounded by lots of water, but can't drink any of it.

Yep. I have one of their bottles in my hiking gear. Saves a lot of weight.

Remember, you can live for weeks without food and much longer on very little food if you've got a bottle of multivitamins around. Without water you have a few days.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica

mostlygray posted:

I remember when the Berlin Wall fell. I was in 7th grade.

I was born in fear of nuclear holocaust. Every day, I thought about it. The threat of nuclear war had been going on since my parents were kids. I had known, with absolute certainty, that I would die from the bomb. I knew that I would absolutely be drafted into a war that I didn't believe in. I knew that life was meaningless. I had plans for becoming a conscientious objector by 4th grade and had debated if just going to jail or taking a firing squad was better than to kill some poor mothers son for no reason. I was 4 drat years old and thinking about the end of the world all the time.

Then it was gone. I could finally feel OK. We made peace.

Now as I'm turning 40,, these shitheels are bringing it back. None of us need the fear again. It's a heavy trip to lay on your kids.

gently caress this noise. Every nation that has Nuclear weapons should just gently caress and get it over with. Measure the dicks and be done.

My kids never hurt anyone. Give them a chance to live.

This really really touched me. Its exactly how I feel. I wanted to PM you about expanding on this but that requires paying lowtax even MORE money, and this is the first time I have ever wanted to pm someone on these forums. I took your main sentences and expanded on them from my point of view... because yeah, we all experienced the same thing. I wish a million people from our generation could read that. Sorry for being a dirty plagiarist but for fucks sake, its been 2 days now, and I am still thinking about this. Its a much bigger deal to me than half the people on the islands I guess. I realize that makes me a loving sperglord, so be it. ::: heres me ripping you off so it stays the same. Hope we never have to actually have to go through this again ::

This Hawaii thing man... after 2 days I am still thinking about it.

I remember when the Berlin Wall fell. I was in 6th grade.

The threat of nuclear war had been going on since my parents were kids. I remember my mom, dad and I sitting in the living room while I was in kindergarten and watching the movie 'The Day After', a movie about the destruction of the United States and the breakdown of society due to that war. Too mature for me? Probably, but the president said it was important. He said we NEEDED to watch it. Over 100 million people sat in front of their tv's that night in November with their children and watched in horror as we saw what the true effects of a nuclear war would be.

I was born with that fear of a nuclear holocaust. Every day, I thought about it. I had known, with absolute certainty, that any day now, me and everyone I loved, would die from the bomb. At my elementary school we would all go down to the basement every week and sit with our faces against a concrete wall and our hands behind our heads, protecting our necks from the falling debris. Preparing us as children for the day everyone knew was coming. I was 5 years old and thinking about the end of the world all the time.

And then the wall fell. The cold war was over. We didn't have to be afraid anymore. People literally dancing in the streets, the whole world breathing a sigh of relief.

Now, as I'm turning 40, these shitheels are bringing it back. Our president on TV comparing the nuclear button to his dick. The entire state of Hawaii in a panic for 38 minutes as they waited for a missile strike that thankfully never came. NK and Iran ramping up production of nuclear material and the United States looking for ANYONE to fight with, another war to distract us from all the horrible things happening in our own country. Once again coming dangerously close to that red line.

I refuse to let my children live in fear. I refuse to walk backwards on all the good we have done in this world over the last 25 years. You want a war? Have at it. Strap yourself to a loving bomb and go play red rocket with Kim Jong up in space.

Our kids don't deserve to live with the kind of fear we did, the kind of world we did before the wall fell. No matter what it takes, I pray that all of us can stand together and say NO, we aren't doing this again. The price we paid for peace, and still pay as as veterans, civilians, survivors... that was enough for 100 lifetimes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Hmm, maybe invading other countries because they annoy us was a bad example to set

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Monos Bullet posted:

are there any good water filters on infowars or something that'd work for long term lack of clean water? 1/gal/day/person seems like a crazy amount of water to store if things got bad for any length over a week. i should just get started stocking up on guns and ammo too. theres probably only 3 households in my neighborhood i'd trust after a giant disaster.

The old civil defence shelters only stocked 1.5 quarts per person per day, and that included water for washing. People these days are water guzzling pussies.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Your water needs depend on climate and on if you're working or just sititng still in the dark.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Your water needs depend on climate and on if you're working or just sititng still in the dark.

The civil defence shelters also allotted everyone 700 calories a day, so yeah, you're just sitting still in the dark. On the upside less food and water means less poop, which is great because everyone is making GBS threads a bucket. In the same bucket. You want to make as few trips to the bucket room as possible.

The Fallout games made fallout shelters look way better than they really were, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ACI6Mq-g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoMSUtRCzU

Those videos also tell you how to stock your own shelter in the basement, if the fake missile makes you want to go all prepper.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 15, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i am also interested to know whats in peoples emergency bags.

Desert Eagle with 6” barrel
200 rounds of 50 AE
72 count ID Juicy lube flavored personal lubricant
2 liters of Mt Dew

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

veiled boner fuel posted:

200 rounds of 50 AE
2 liters of Mt Dew

that pack would weigh like 50lb

is your plan to just sit next to it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

spog posted:

A missile.

yeah but you generally need a delivery system and that's a pain in the rear end. just buy some cheap drones on amazon and strap some IEDs to them

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

veiled boner fuel posted:

200 rounds of 50 AE
2 liters of Mt Dew

No booze, shame

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I think I was 8 or 9 when my hippy neighbors told me that the sky was going to catch fire (about the tsar bomba test I think).
Don't know how my dad calmed me down after that news.
Nucular death was just a thing like car crashes back then. Could happen to anyone.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
the only thing in my backpack is instructions for 10 different types of redneck stills, a bunch of tubing and ammo for my 12 guage.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Why are so many Hawaii ppl ITT angry at those little oranges they advertise on the TeeVee??

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was cooling off about this but i've changed my mind. after seeing the governor's non-apology where he :airquote:claims:airquote: to accept responsibility but then goes on to blame the workers and the alert system, i think he should submit himself to 250 lashes of the whip

and then seppuku

also all those loser rear end lieutenants who stand behind him with their thumbs up their asses, dishonorable discharge and a year in manning-style confinement

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

batteries! posted:

WATCH TRUMP START A loving LUAU

This made me LOL, thanks for that! :D

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Population size

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

yeah but you generally need a delivery system and that's a pain in the rear end. just buy some cheap drones on amazon and strap some IEDs to them

Just throw them you big puss

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If you've ever been to houston you'll get a feel for modern urban sprawl vs. the design of pre-vehicle old "real cities" but the loving thing is huge and awful and definitely a city

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

basic hitler posted:

If you've ever been to houston you'll get a feel for modern urban sprawl vs. the design of pre-vehicle old "real cities" but the loving thing is huge and awful and definitely a city

houston is like several small cities with no natural growth between them

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
a shitload of small cities and districts

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

My emergency kit consists of 7-11 spam musubis, a six pack of zero-cal monster energy tallboys, an overpriced shaved ice, and some roadside lomi lomi salmon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

myDad posted:

houston is like several small cities with no natural growth between them

Thats all texas sprawl though.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

basic hitler posted:

Thats all texas sprawl though.

nah there's some gems like big bend or jacob's well

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
My prep box is a Ziploc bag full of fentanyl

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Streak posted:

My prep box is a Ziploc bag full of fentanyl

gosh is this you?

who the gently caress keeps their fent in a plastic bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Uh... Japanese NHK has accidentally broadcast a missile alert today.

• Locked thread