Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have only ever seen people talk about the laundry and cow episodes positively.

i got the turn A MG model, and i got the little cow inside the nuke compartment where he belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Well, read some of the last pages here after I finally finished this today (had stopped on ep20 because i moved, etc. etc.).
I guess I'm in the minority of posters, because i actually liked it after it went full gainax.
Now, this may be because i watched it in spurts and don't super remember all the details once I dove back in.
Whatever the reason, I thought it was a fun jaunt and genuinely enjoyed it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Maxwell Adams posted:

That flight unit looks real hard on the junk.

Also, shame on this thread for not recommending GaoGaiGar. You want a show with a good ending? GaoGaiGar ends with the characters naked and weeping with joy.

it actually ends with everyone dead and lost in space

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
So I watched the show and i'm wondering about some stuff:

- the kids know what "pervert" means, but the concept of sexuality is foreign to them? they don't know what sex is, let alone kissing.
- do the girls menstruate? they probably do because they can get pregnant, so how do the adults explain periods? that they just bleed once a month and that's it?

did they learn all this while in the garden? or maybe i missed it? i dunno, i binged the show in 2 days so maybe i missed something.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Non-dickish answer: the show did not address those questions.

Dickish answer:

Are you really expecting logical consistency and well-fleshed-out explanations from a TV show?

I mean, sure, it's great when a show has those. It's fantastic, and helps a show rise above the other shows. But shows like that are the exception, not the norm.

But if you insist: the kids probably think of 'pervert' in a non-sexual context as someone who just does something vaguely 'bad'. And as the kids are all grown constructs, they were clearly designed to reabsorb their menstruation, rather than emit it monthly.

See? You, too, can fill in the story holes that the writers didn't think about or didn't want to deal with.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Real answer: The show is bad just straight up. Pervert was used because it's a standard anime response to the standard anime (tm) wacky hijinks (tm) that they were up to.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Beato Believer posted:

Non-dickish answer: the show did not address those questions.

Dickish answer:

Are you really expecting logical consistency and well-fleshed-out explanations from a TV show?

I mean, sure, it's great when a show has those. It's fantastic, and helps a show rise above the other shows. But shows like that are the exception, not the norm.

But if you insist: the kids probably think of 'pervert' in a non-sexual context as someone who just does something vaguely 'bad'. And as the kids are all grown constructs, they were clearly designed to reabsorb their menstruation, rather than emit it monthly.

See? You, too, can fill in the story holes that the writers didn't think about or didn't want to deal with.

"This show that spends a gigantic chunk of its runtime on heavily examining human sexuality and relationships in a weirdo post-sexual society where those things don't exist anymore and need to be rediscovered didn't bother trying to be consistent about what the protagonists should know about human sexuality and relationships" is not a particularly good look.

Like when the kids literally don't understand what it means to have a crush on someone and are Thought Policed for having relationships it's not a weird oversight for them to know and use the word "pervert", it's a bizarre and jarring fuckup, especially given how much the show tries to rely on allegory and symbolism that is way more subtle than that(the red oni/blue oni stuff, the norse symbolism, the mistletoe, etc).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 6, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

remember when the colonies docking up was called kissing?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The one thing I hope comes from this show is that the composer, Asami Tachibana, gets more opportunities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6yo6wdJcyU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The last episode I saw was the one where the giant hand from Cabin In The Woods shows up and then everyone is sad for an episode. Is it worth finishing the series?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

The last episode I saw was the one where the giant hand from Cabin In The Woods shows up and then everyone is sad for an episode. Is it worth finishing the series?

No. You could watch all of Gunbuster in that time and have very similiar story beats with better writing and animation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Probably not.

The show doesn't really have a good endgame, and while there's moments that kind of work, including some pretty nice directing from Noriko Takao in episode 22, it just falls apart as it goes.

I mean, if you're the type of person who really wants to finish everything you start, maybe, but all the best is behind and what's ahead is mostly disappointment and lovely, lovely space battles.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

No. The hand was the last interesting thing to happen.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking back at the show I am glad I watched it from start to finish. The end was extremely inconsistent but I did enjoy the stronger episodes and I am still amazed that they managed to make certain scenes that are usually so groan worthy something that was actually enjoyable to watch.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Echoing everyone else's sentiment, just pretend they rebuilt a little colony after the hand incident and call that an ending, because its much better than what you'll actually get.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Proto Two

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Proto Two

Huh. Looks midway between Hiro and Zero Two, almost. Definitely more restrained than the final version.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cool, thanks. Unsubbing, bye thread!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well, read some of the last pages here after I finally finished this today (had stopped on ep20 because i moved, etc. etc.).
I guess I'm in the minority of posters, because i actually liked it after it went full gainax.
Now, this may be because i watched it in spurts and don't super remember all the details once I dove back in.
Whatever the reason, I thought it was a fun jaunt and genuinely enjoyed it.

VIRM kind of just killed any momentum the story had going for it and then they scrambled to rebuild that in 5 episodes. Although I think the series had started to lose me with Giant Hand. And for a Gainax ending it feels kind of underwhelming and this is after we went to full on galactic warfare, Giant 02 into Matryoshka doll robot stab, Galactic explosion, etc. It's trying to be TTGL without having always been as insane as that series was from the get go. (I have not seen gunbuster so I only tangentially get that reference). And the epilogue didn't work as well as it could have because a lot of the side cast just never got developed so stuff like Goro and Ichigo becoming an item just kind of happen off screen. I really wish they had done something with Miku and Zorome because they remain the best pair in my opinion, but paradoxically that's because they got the least screentime so all I have is their back and forth banter and energy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gunbuster probably does the escalation even better than TTGL, because that show (like this one) starts out as a screwball fantasy world and gets more so. Gunbuster starts out with “the other girls at my school are teasing me because I’m clumsy :(, also there might be a space fleet somewhere I guess“ and within six episodes builds up to “I’m going to sacrifice everyone I’ve ever loved and rip out of the heart of my robogod to fuel a last-resort genocide bomb we made of the planet Jupiter”.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Eela6 posted:

No. The hand was the last interesting thing to happen.

Please remember that adtrw is for liking anime and discussing them, if you've made your critique already then I'll have to ask you to move on, constantly posting about how bad you feel an anime is over and over is against the rules.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Please remember that adtrw is for liking anime and discussing them, if you've made your critique already then I'll have to ask you to move on, constantly posting about how bad you feel an anime is over and over is against the rules.

1. I'm not constantly posting about how had I think this anime is. I was answering a specific question about Darling In The FranXX, in the thread about Darling In The FranXX.

2. The vast majority of my posts about this (bad) show were positive and excited. Seriously, click on my post history from this thread.

3. If I can't post honestly about how I feel about a show, what is the point of this subforum? Is "oh, the last episode was so great!! Can't wait for the next one?" the only acceptable form of post?

I'm honestly baffled.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Eela6 posted:

1. I'm not constantly posting about how had I think this anime is. I was answering a specific question about Darling In The FranXX, in the thread about Darling In The FranXX.

2. The vast majority of my posts about this (bad) show were positive and excited. Seriously, click on my post history from this thread.

3. If I can't post honestly about how I feel about a show, what is the point of this subforum? Is "oh, the last episode was so great!! Can't wait for the next one?" the only acceptable form of post?

I'm honestly baffled.

Please move on from this thread, if you feel the need to continue this discussion you are free to do so via pm or in the chat thread, thanks in advance, eela6.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Free Eela6

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Matoi I don't think this was the intent of the "please actually like anime [as a medium]" rule.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I can't believe we have the dumbest mod on the forums.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Brought To You By posted:

VIRM kind of just killed any momentum the story had going for it and then they scrambled to rebuild that in 5 episodes. Although I think the series had started to lose me with Giant Hand. And for a Gainax ending it feels kind of underwhelming and this is after we went to full on galactic warfare, Giant 02 into Matryoshka doll robot stab, Galactic explosion, etc. It's trying to be TTGL without having always been as insane as that series was from the get go. (I have not seen gunbuster so I only tangentially get that reference). And the epilogue didn't work as well as it could have because a lot of the side cast just never got developed so stuff like Goro and Ichigo becoming an item just kind of happen off screen. I really wish they had done something with Miku and Zorome because they remain the best pair in my opinion, but paradoxically that's because they got the least screentime so all I have is their back and forth banter and energy.

Yeah, I agree the side characters could have (And should have) been more directly developed, but for some reason that didn't bother me much. The full gainaxing was a bit out of place, but I feel like it wasn't thaaaat out of place once they started up with the blue klaxo queen and the gran crevasse stuff.

I totally get why people didn't like the series that much, but, :shrug:

Also

Eela6 posted:

I'm honestly baffled.

I'm a little baffled now myself.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That's a bad probe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What the gently caress, you moron? Did seeing someone making three negative posts about a show, in the context of a discussion about a show, really bother you that much? People are allowed to be huge transphobic shitstains about houseki no kuni, are allowed to be insanely homophobic about shows with lesbians in them, are allowed to make insane 'jokes' about women, but the moment someone criticizes a show one too many times, that's illegal? The hell?

Someone asked for opinions on an anime. Eela gave an opinion on the anime. If that's an issue, then you don't want a discussion forum, you want a cult.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And furthermore if that is the rule, why the hell was only Eela probated? This thread has been nothing but people going 'yeah this show kinda sucked in the end' for like a month and a half now.

The intent of the rule was to stop people from going 'anime sucks!!' as a blanket statement and to encourage actual discussion. what you're doing is stifling discussion as much, if not worse, than the weird irony culture that rule was trying to prevent.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’m quite content with the fact that I stopped watching Franxx after the op changed because that was the only reason I was still watching it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

I’m quite content with the fact that I stopped watching Franxx after the op changed because that was the only reason I was still watching it
I didn't like the original op much either tbh

first ed was good tho

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

littleorv posted:

:hfive: Kiss of Death is an enjoyable song, and it bummed me out to hear so many people were down on it.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Please move on from this thread, if you feel the need to continue this discussion you are free to do so via pm or in the chat thread, thanks in advance, eela6.

Anyways I agree with the majority of posters that that was a bad probe, it feels like you jumped the gun on him without analyzing the context at all, then without listening to what he had to say you probed him because he dared to talk back to you. This is along the same lines as when you probed everyone for calling out your probes for the Garfield posters in the tomo thread a while back-you generally ignore criticisms without directly addressing them, and try to direct people away via PMs, which doesn't foster an open and honest community in my opinion.

I still think you're a good dude Matoi, but I wish you would personally communicate with us more through the chat thread or the like, so people could understand where you're coming from or what your thought process is. You'll probe someone for making an obvious, light hearted joke between friends, but ignore weirdly misogynistic "joke" posts in the same thread that get reported because ???

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’m honestly surprised this thread is still going! Any cool new ditf stuff going on?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well the 4-koma for the series is getting its own book.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also the manga is still going on.

Maybe it will change the ending, its already changed some stuff

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8Afm2XolE

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Thanks for your input eela6, and other posters, however gimmick posting is banned, and having asked you twice now to move on from the thread, which you have not done, I am afraid you will have to be probated for considerably longer.

To everyone else, there is no justification for starting a discussion on moderation policies in a discussion thread, thanks everyone.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Thanks for your input eela6, and other posters, however gimmick posting is banned, and having asked you twice now to move on from the thread, which you have not done, I am afraid you will have to be probated for considerably longer.

To everyone else, there is no justification for starting a discussion on moderation policies in a discussion thread, thanks everyone.

Hey Owl Day, where can we have one then, because literally every time we've tried to, you blow people off or just respond with klk gifs?
Like you also banned discussion in the discussion thread, so what's even the point of the thread now? Is the point of a thread just to be a topic lovedump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

People are allowed to be huge transphobic shitstains about houseki no kuni, are allowed to be insanely homophobic about shows with lesbians in them, are allowed to make insane 'jokes' about women, but the moment someone criticizes a show one too many times, that's illegal? The hell?

Meanwhile people are doing this poo poo and calling calling people f*ggots and such and you're allowing it or actively defending them.
Like what the actual gently caress. You don't honor the actual rules of the forum that you instated in the first place, make up new arbitrary ones, and only care that people are listening to you, instead of literally anything about the subforum.

Like gently caress if you weren't Mod you wouldn't even look at the subforum.

• Locked thread