Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

El Burbo posted:

paging droyer

I want to be inside strelizia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i just got done watching gunbuster and diebuster, and i gotta say.....

gunbuster was a mess. it's got some hype scenes like the gunbuster fight, but it's really disjointed and the plot from episode to episode is hardly connected sometimes. diebuster was much better told imo. the biggest head scratcher to me is them running to find the aliens, barely encountering them, and then running back to earth? was that what happened? what was the point of going out in the first place? recon? that being said, the ending of Darling in the franxx is such a huge loving ripoff of gunbuster and it's so obvious after watching it (including the two lights returning to earth)....

also, noriko rubbing loving salt into oneechan's wounds wrt coach on the roof with crutches was... wow. like, the dude is obviously dying noriko what are you thinking. and then when oneechan makes it drat obvious "he's loving dying and you're really digging the knife in noriko!" noriko screams "COOOAAAACHEEE!!" for the 50th time in 5 episodes. Also, the love for coach between oneechan and redhead is not really built up or earned, but for some reason they both love him enough to catfight over him? and redhead's constant switching between friend and enemy is weird.

i have to say the neatest thing about gunbuster is the concept of relativistic differences in time being explored

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 18, 2018

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

FranXX is 24 episodes of someone elbowing you in the ribs and asking if you liked (insert popular mecha anime here) and regardless of your answer they sit back satisfied with themself. Every 24 minutes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Condiv posted:

gunbuster was a mess. it's got some hype scenes like the gunbuster fight, but it's really disjointed and the plot from episode to episode is hardly connected sometimes. diebuster was much better told imo. the biggest head scratcher to me is them running to find the aliens, barely encountering them, and then running back to earth? was that what happened? what was the point of going out in the first place? recon? that being said, the ending of Darling in the franxx is such a huge loving ripoff of gunbuster and it's so obvious after watching it (including the two lights returning to earth)....

also, noriko rubbing loving salt into oneechan's wounds wrt coach on the roof with crutches was... wow. like, the dude is obviously dying noriko what are you thinking. and then when oneechan makes it drat obvious "he's loving dying and you're really digging the knife in noriko!" noriko screams "COOOAAAACHEEE!!" for the 50th time in 5 episodes. Also, the love for coach between oneechan and redhead is not really built up or earned, but for some reason they both love him enough to catfight over him? and redhead's constant switching between friend and enemy is weird.

i have to say the neatest thing about gunbuster is the concept of relativistic differences in time being explored

I remember reading some developer commentary that implied they originally intended gunbuster to end with episode 4, and you could totally see that. Don't have a source though i'm afraid.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Condiv posted:

gunbuster was a mess. it's got some hype scenes like the gunbuster fight, but it's really disjointed and the plot from episode to episode is hardly connected sometimes. diebuster was much better told imo. the biggest head scratcher to me is them running to find the aliens, barely encountering them, and then running back to earth? was that what happened? what was the point of going out in the first place? recon?

Are you talking about when they lose Smith? The fleet retreats because they got loving wrecked by the space monsters and realized they were in way over their heads.

I agree it's all fuckin over the place tonally. You get the sense Anno wanted to make four or five different shows here.

Condiv posted:

also, noriko rubbing loving salt into oneechan's wounds wrt coach on the roof with crutches was... wow. like, the dude is obviously dying noriko what are you thinking. and then when oneechan makes it drat obvious "he's loving dying and you're really digging the knife in noriko!" noriko screams "COOOAAAACHEEE!!" for the 50th time in 5 episodes.

basically shes just a dumb rear end nerd who aint got no dad, doesnt understand how to do relationships and latches onto anyone who gives her the time of day.

Condiv posted:

Also, the love for coach between oneechan and redhead is not really built up or earned, but for some reason they both love him enough to catfight over him? and redhead's constant switching between friend and enemy is weird.

They introduce this subplot in a really weird way, the "scene" at the bit of ep3 where they roll a bunch of text on screen about the physics of warp drive while playing audio of Coach and Kazumi drunkenly karaoke-ing a suggestive song together at a party. Especially annoying for western viewers because you have to read the subs as well. I think the reason why it isn't really built up in a more conventional way is because the series is shackled to Noriko's point of view. Much like how Evangelion would go on to hide from us everything Shinji doesn't know, but quite a lot more so (later NGE has a lot of stuff from Misato's perspective and there's no analog to that in Gunbuster). If Noriko doesn't know something is happening, it almost doesn't exist. It's weird and sudden when it's revealed that Coach is banging his teenage subordinate because it's weird and sudden when Noriko eventually finds out.

I don't think Jung really cares about Coach, she's just giving everyone poo poo because she's jealous type who resents that Noriko (useless weepy lump) keeps getting picked to do cool poo poo instead of her (sexy bad rear end communist).

Condiv posted:

Yeah, this is a really unique and cool element which I was sad to see Diebuster (mostly) ditch.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

skasion posted:

Are you talking about when they lose Smith? The fleet retreats because they got loving wrecked by the space monsters and realized they were in way over their heads.

I agree it's all fuckin over the place tonally. You get the sense Anno wanted to make four or five different shows here.

that's part of my problem. first of all, it's not clear they're retreating back to earth. I thought they were like "well, this is a pretty hosed up area and it's nothing to do with our goal so lets move on instead of incurring more losses". Also, the fight was p much non-existent. like you mentioned earlier, the story is shackled to noriko's perspective, and that makes it hard to grasp the severity of their losses. they rattle off numbers later, but it's not a good way to tell they were bodied. likewise, having it shackled to noriko's perspective and the enemy is too fast for her to see or react to means a battle with.... nothing? she literally goes out, freaks out, comes back, and it turns out they retreated and smith is dead. it's a really bad way to show that their force was bodied by the aliens

in episode 4 it's obvious the aliens kicked their asses, but you don't have that in episode 3. you experience one ship get blown up (offscreen), aliens rush around without being seen, smith dies off screen, and noriko comes back and mopes over smith.

quote:

They introduce this subplot in a really weird way, the "scene" at the bit of ep3 where they roll a bunch of text on screen about the physics of warp drive while playing audio of Coach and Kazumi drunkenly karaoke-ing a suggestive song together at a party. Especially annoying for western viewers because you have to read the subs as well. I think the reason why it isn't really built up in a more conventional way is because the series is shackled to Noriko's point of view. Much like how Evangelion would go on to hide from us everything Shinji doesn't know, but quite a lot more so (later NGE has a lot of stuff from Misato's perspective and there's no analog to that in Gunbuster). If Noriko doesn't know something is happening, it almost doesn't exist. It's weird and sudden when it's revealed that Coach is banging his teenage subordinate because it's weird and sudden when Noriko eventually finds out.

I don't think Jung really cares about Coach, she's just giving everyone poo poo because she's jealous type who resents that Noriko (useless weepy lump) keeps getting picked to do cool poo poo instead of her (sexy bad rear end communist).

yeah i missed this. and it's a terrible way to introduce that subplot. and it still feels unearned cause a drunken flirtation shouldn't result in the meltdown of episode 5.

Droyer posted:

I remember reading some developer commentary that implied they originally intended gunbuster to end with episode 4, and you could totally see that. Don't have a source though i'm afraid.

imo, this would've made things worse, cause coach spent the series so far building up noriko's talent, she spent a good deal of the series not actually showing it, and then in episode 4 she beats the big bad by letting it stab her robot and blowing it up. episode 5 (the latter half) is much more of a redemption of noriko and what coach was trying to get her to be imo.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 18, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tarage posted:

Trigger folks put out a few Darling books, including one that has robutts in various cute outfits.

https://twitter.com/mozu_hayanie/status/1029984913573855232

Back in episode 15, when the Delphinium had its head gear slapped off and it was revealed that Dr. FranXX had created robo-hair, I seriously questioned "why would they do that?". Even in the face of the idea that the mechs were designed to mimick the female form so the girls would be more comfortable mind melding with it, it still seemed like doing the most. We already had stuff like this on the Strelizia but seeing an actual full head of hair underneath just made me stop and think. Seeing these pictures I'm now wondering "why didn't they take the stupid head ornament off" because if your goal is to put the robots in mildly suggestive poses, why make her head a bigger draw for attention than the nonexistant metallic booty you're having them put on display? I mean Argentea at least has Faux stocking on in addition to inexplicable leather boots to draw your eyes to the intended area. But why do they make it so my eyes are immediately drawn to the boat on top of another robots head?

Instead of giving us what each stampede mode would look like, we got swimsuits and Absolute territory. I liked the mass production models more.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Brought To You By posted:

Back in episode 15, when the Delphinium had its head gear slapped off and it was revealed that Dr. FranXX had created robo-hair, I seriously questioned "why would they do that?". Even in the face of the idea that the mechs were designed to mimick the female form so the girls would be more comfortable mind melding with it, it still seemed like doing the most. We already had stuff like this on the Strelizia but seeing an actual full head of hair underneath just made me stop and think. Seeing these pictures I'm now wondering "why didn't they take the stupid head ornament off" because if your goal is to put the robots in mildly suggestive poses, why make her head a bigger draw for attention than the nonexistant metallic booty you're having them put on display? I mean Argentea at least has Faux stocking on in addition to inexplicable leather boots to draw your eyes to the intended area. But why do they make it so my eyes are immediately drawn to the boat on top of another robots head?

Instead of giving us what each stampede mode would look like, we got swimsuits and Absolute territory. I liked the mass production models more.

People want to gently caress that robit

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

People want to gently caress that robit

That they do...that they do.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I wish the show had been like what me and my friends hoped it would've been when all we had was promo images: show about sentient giant robot girls doing stuff. That would've been great. Heck, had they still had the whole pilot thing but had the girls just be the robots would've been fine. Atleast it would've been unique, or atleast played out something like ZoE: Dolores. (beyond the fact we were totally into the whole robot girl thing anyway.)

Like, we've been talking about this, and the show has disrupted expectations across not only it's run, but before it even came out. There's alot about it that feels disingenuous.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 20, 2018

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Tarage posted:

Trigger folks put out a few Darling books, including one that has robutts in various cute outfits.

https://twitter.com/mozu_hayanie/status/1029984913573855232

They really loved their characters, but couldn't really put them into a suitable world for them. drat shame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Understanding posted:

They really loved their characters, but couldn't really put them into a suitable world for them. drat shame.

They had a good setting for them too, one that let them play off each other and the setup. The show just crashed and burned on what should have been the landing run.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I wish the show had been like what me and my friends hoped it would've been when all we had was promo images: show about sentient giant robot girls doing stuff. That would've been great. Heck, had they still had the whole pilot thing but had the girls just be the robots would've been fine. Atleast it would've been unique, or atleast played out something like ZoE: Dolores. (beyond the fact we were totally into the whole robot girl thing anyway.)

Like, we've been talking about this, and the show has disrupted expectations across not only it's run, but before it even came out. There's alot about it that feels disingenuous.

I think the plot of the manga 'Buster Dress' has the male pilot getting into a relationship with the A.I that co-pilots his mech. Might be worth looking into if that is what you were looking for.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Would you recommend this show for young children who liked LWA? Thanks!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

P-Mack posted:

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Naah. The messages are weird and unpleasant, the content and subject matter are unsuitable for young kids, and it’s just not a very well put together show.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks, hopefully they do better with their next project then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Thanks, hopefully they do better with their next project then.

I should note that even if it’s better (and this was a Trigger-A1 coproduction where A1-affiliated freelancers did most of the writing, so it’s not all that representative of Trigger’s house style), there’s no guarantee Trigger’s next project will be suitable for kids. Insofar as any studio has a distinct personality, because these days they’re really more nodes of a vast, ever-shifting anime network who contract and subcontract to each other ad infinitum, Trigger’s core staff were raised on cheesy, ultraviolent, taboo-flouting ‘80s direct-to-video animation, and it shows. They do have range, as LWA attests, but a Trigger original that’s pure horny/grotesque/stylish teenage id is more likely than anything else.

As an alternative, might I suggest the current series of GeGeGe no Kitaro? It’s not quite got LWA’s manic, anarchic spirit or wild visual experimentation, but it’s a very solid, entertaining kids’ show with a similar supernatural action vibe, and could also serve as a useful teaching tool - apart from introducing your kids to lots of weird/cool Japanese mythological monsters, it tackles a wide variety of heavy and complex real-world subjects in an intelligent and sensitive way, which could be a pretty good conversation-starter.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 21, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I should note that even if it’s better (and this was a Trigger-A1 coproduction where A1-affiliated freelancers did most of the writing, so it’s not all that representative of Trigger’s house style), there’s no guarantee Trigger’s next project will be suitable for kids. Insofar as any studio has a distinct personality, because these days they’re really more nodes of a vast, ever-shifting anime network who contract and subcontract to each other ad infinitum, Trigger’s core staff were raised on cheesy, ultraviolent, taboo-flouting ‘80s direct-to-video animation, and it shows. They do have range, as LWA attests, but a Trigger original that’s pure horny/grotesque/stylish teenage id is more likely than anything else.

As an alternative, might I suggest the current series of GeGeGe no Kitaro? It’s not quite got LWA’s manic, anarchic spirit or wild visual experimentation, but it’s a very solid, entertaining kids’ show with a similar supernatural action vibe, and could also serve as a useful teaching tool - apart from introducing your kids to lots of weird/cool Japanese mythological monsters, it tackles a wide variety of heavy and complex real-world subjects in an intelligent and sensitive way, which could be a pretty good conversation-starter.

Cool, I'll check it out. They basically just want to watch Sailor Moon these days so some variety would be nice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Cool, I'll check it out. They basically just want to watch Sailor Moon these days so some variety would be nice.

In that case, might want to ask around the magical girl thread for recs. I know the latest Precure, Hugtto, is getting good buzz, and Princess Tutu is a famous classic. As for zany magical girl comedies, Ojamajo Doremi has a solid rep and was probably a big inspiration for LWA.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 21, 2018

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

P-Mack posted:

The newest sequel to Cardcaptor Sakura just finished; the Clear Card Arc. Also Hulu or Netflix may have the original run up for streaming. I also second checking out one of the Pretty Cure iterations as they're basically the spiritual successor to Sailor Moon from Toei. Though outside of the first season being available in low quality on Crunchyroll the others are fansubbed only for now. Princess Tutu is really good but can get a bit dark in its run imo.

If your kids are okay with reading subtitles and don't mind older anime series I recommend Akazukin Chacha as its about a trio of kids getting into wacky hijinks with magic involved. It ran around the same time as the original Sailor Moon run in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

pretty much any precure anime would probably be good for them though those series have less of the romance/sexuality stuff that sailor moon did

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

pretty much any precure anime would probably be good for them though those series have less of the romance/sexuality stuff that sailor moon did

We started the original pretty cure and don't even try to tell me Nagisa and Honoka are not incredibly, albeit latently, gay for each other.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Have your kids watch Re: Cutie Honey

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

P-Mack posted:

We started the original pretty cure and don't even try to tell me Nagisa and Honoka are not incredibly, albeit latently, gay for each other.

I watched the first few eps and my impression was that Honoka was gay (not even necessarily latently), but Nagisa was straight.

DisDisDis posted:

Have your kids watch Re: Cutie Honey

Just to make make sure you get :thejoke:, don't actually do this, P-Mack.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Similarly don't let your kids watch Madoka Magica.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I think the plot of the manga 'Buster Dress' has the male pilot getting into a relationship with the A.I that co-pilots his mech. Might be worth looking into if that is what you were looking for.

I love how cute and wholesome these sapient robo-pals are. Thanks for the suggestion!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ohh neat a competent black woman in a manga! You don't see that often, I wonder if... ohh... I guess she dies horribly in like the third scene. Well then.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Ohh neat a competent black woman in a manga! You don't see that often, I wonder if... ohh... I guess she dies horribly in like the third scene. Well then.

Have you read Planetes? I think you'd like Fee Carmichael, if you haven't gotten around to it yet.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 26, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I love how cute and wholesome these sapient robo-pals are. Thanks for the suggestion!

To be honest I'd only read the first chapter but I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't entirely sure how it would pan out. This thread turned into a pseudo-rec thread for more quality mech series which is a plus.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Spooky bump

Mato's book is out with new illustrations

Mato: still good

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Good spoooooooop

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Spooky bump

Mato's book is out with new illustrations

Mato: still good
Of all the things to come out of the anime, that 4-koma was fun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any news about a second season?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^The show is completely over, definitively wrapped up, there won't be another season.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Of all the things to come out of the anime, that 4-koma was fun.

Much like Re:Creators, we would have been better off just getting the 4-komas.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

god i hope not

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

KoB posted:

god i hope not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Guy Goodbody posted:

The reincarnated lovers come across MAMA (actually the cyberessence of Ichigo and Ikuno referred to as Ichiku) and discover the secret behind the VR-M mechanical assistants that children rely upon to become ADLts.

The moon becomes a mecha and they delete the VRIMtranet across the galaxy. Maybe they like, destroy time too or something.

• Locked thread