Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

I would love a yurucamp with the FranXX girls

If the entire show became about beach camping and urbex in abandoned coastal towns, I would be OK with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

So who do we think will be dying first? My moneys on Zorome with all if his Nakama talk.

Lots of death flags being raised in this episode.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

So who do we think will be dying first? My moneys on Zorome with all if his Nakama talk.

Lots of death flags being raised in this episode.

Still thinking Goro.
Zorome's Believe has to be shattered first before he can die.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh man, that was scary. Almost lost my account there.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
It wasn't even gay, is the worst part.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Kashuno posted:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Their residence being modeled after that old hospital/clinic is actually rather eerie. Also, no one's really brought up Hiro's scar other than 02 who merely caressed it. That maternity book is gonna really make some waves though and probably bring up some uncomfortable revelations about their society.

Left field theory: They're all clones. That's why they're numbered rather than given names because they're meant to be expendable. The ED stuff is actually the originals. They don't reach adulthood because the cloning process isn't perfect or engineered in such a way to prevent them from reaching it. Their residence being modeled after the clinic is probably because they were all from that town and had stayed there for some reason.

The number represents the number of times they’ve been recreated.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

This owns, thank you.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Arghhh the interruption before the confession trope was used 3 times and it's really irritating.

I'm glad it was Hiro just interrupting her instead of the actual worst trope ever of "Huh, what did you say?" that makes me want to explode whenever it is used.

Also Ichigo following in his footsteps in the sand was :kimchi:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

:five:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I'm glad it was Hiro just interrupting her instead of the actual worst trope ever of "Huh, what did you say?" that makes me want to explode whenever it is used.

Also Ichigo following in his footsteps in the sand was :kimchi:

I also like that Hiro not getting it feels less dense than usual. She's his friend, they kissed once and it was terrible, so they're just basically like family, no problem.

I mean, if he and Zero Two weren't together, it'd be different, but they are, so he's got no reason to think about Ichigo feeling that way, especially considering how they were brought up.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope this situation with Ichigo gets resolved one way or another sooner rather than later please

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

I hope this situation with Ichigo gets resolved one way or another sooner rather than later please

This episode was kind of frustrating in that regard, I thought it had been resolved last episode.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I personally think it is moving towards that way and it feels like she wants to tell him her feelings, which don't forget they don't even really understand what are, so that she can feel better about it. Her attitude about it being completely different than last time she got interrupted tells me this and I think the only reason why they did it again so quickly was to make that point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kashuno posted:

I didn't even get the feeling Ichigo was pining for Hiro this episode. She seemed genuinely happy to see him and 02 interacting, she gave an actual smile at one point watching them rather than the mixed smile/cry she had last episode and even when following Hiro's footsteps on the beach it seemed more of a sibling thing than a potential lover thing.

Also:

https://comfy.moe/zkmymp.webm

Edit: I find it hard to see her as still upset about or suppressing feelings for Ichigo after this scene right at the start of the episode:

https://comfy.moe/bwinlv.webm

It's an internal monologue as far as we know, so she has no reason to lie or be so happy if she doesn't genuinely feel it and the smile itself seems relaxed, easy and real too. Which doesn't suggest someone bottling up an infatuation.

tsob fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 25, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
looks pretty gay

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Same, but the mecha as girls.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Promises involving the future, shooting star motif....oh god everyone's gonna die

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

Promises involving the future, shooting star motif....oh god everyone's gonna die

Those shooting stars were klaxosaur eggs landing on Earth

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

There Bias Two posted:

They were weird colors for shooting stars, this might actually be true.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
deathflags the episode.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

100% my thought too.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

:perfect:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Am I supposed to dislike Ichigo or want her to suffer so I can comfort her or something because I'm still not seeing it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you think this episode was somehow trying to emphasize her suffering then yes, i'd say you're not seeing something

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's less emphasizing her suffering and more having 02 continue to bully her and then go straight back to "hooray 02 she and Hiro are the best!"

Like, if I'm not supposed to trust 02 then this show is doing a great job.

Also Hiro even if she's just your friend/sister, completely tuning her out when she's trying to talk to you and then interrupting her is a dick move. This isn't even a romantic thing. I don't know why the show tried to play it off like he's just fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

02 being lovely is obviously the next hurdle for the show to address, so we'll see how that goes. reasons have definitely been given but nothing has actually explored her trauma or had her really drop her walls. her portrayal so far is not meant to be unequivocally positive, but it is quite a change for ichigo to be reacting to her mostly positively compared to the mutual hostility before.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, now it's just one-sided hostility.

I guess that's my problem. We're 7 episodes in and 02 has not gotten any less lovely, but everyone else has decided to love her and the show doesn't really present that as a problem. It's not not presenting her as lovely but thus far it's framed it like everyone else has to Deal With It because if you're not on the side of the greatest love story ever told you're on the wrong side of history.

It's the same as the robots thing. Ichigo says "drat it you guys help us out here" and 02 says "bite me neener neener" and the way that's fallen out is that Strelizia is simply the best and everyone else should have just moved out of the way to begin with.

Not just 02, Hiro basically just ignores Ichigo at all times and she's somehow just convinced herself to love it, and the framing is "well, he's happy, so it's her problem."

I feel like we've been on the "this is definitely the week we learn what 02's damage is and she learns to be friends" for at least three weeks, Mitsuki and Zorome and Ichigo. 02 is consistently lovely to everyone but Hiro, Hiro himself is kind of lovely because of 02, and I can't tell if I'm the only one who is reading that they're being vindicated.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 26, 2018

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I don't think there's been any indication that the show will be touching on 02's issues at all recently and that all of the focus has instead been on 02 being the person who helps hiro finally solve his own issue with this past episode being the conclusion of that

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
02 is the Wild Card that will change everything for them. The introduced "foreign element". Hiro also seems to be special fit other reasons based on what the naked council seemed to imply

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is going to be a while before the show digs into 02.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Exactly. Right now the show is about these children having their narrow, curated and structured world view destabilized by 02. I see her less as a bully and more like John Spartan in Demolition Man.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
*02 leaves to go for a swim*

Ichigo: I would now like to formally welcome Hiro and 02 to our team.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dryzen posted:

I don't think there's been any indication that the show will be touching on 02's issues at all recently and that all of the focus has instead been on 02 being the person who helps hiro finally solve his own issue with this past episode being the conclusion of that

There was that whole thing in Ep 6 where Dr. Franxx mused that Hiro might be the one who can make 02's wishes come true, and 02 staring at her mech after the fight and talking about how she had to kill more and more klaxosaurs, as though she had a quota to meet, but those sounded more like long term goals rather than short term problems.

Caphi posted:

Yeah, now it's just one-sided hostility.

I guess that's my problem. We're 7 episodes in and 02 has not gotten any less lovely, but everyone else has decided to love her and the show doesn't really present that as a problem. It's not not presenting her as lovely but thus far it's framed it like everyone else has to Deal With It because if you're not on the side of the greatest love story ever told you're on the wrong side of history.

It's the same as the robots thing. Ichigo says "drat it you guys help us out here" and 02 says "bite me neener neener" and the way that's fallen out is that Strelizia is simply the best and everyone else should have just moved out of the way to begin with.

Not just 02, Hiro basically just ignores Ichigo at all times and she's somehow just convinced herself to love it, and the framing is "well, he's happy, so it's her problem."

I feel like we've been on the "this is definitely the week we learn what 02's damage is and she learns to be friends" for at least three weeks, Mitsuki and Zorome and Ichigo. 02 is consistently lovely to everyone but Hiro, Hiro himself is kind of lovely because of 02, and I can't tell if I'm the only one who is reading that they're being vindicated.

Did you forget this is a two cour show? 02's story and attitude are shaping up to be central focuses of the entire plot, they're not going to resolve one of the main sources of interpersonal drama in the cast in the first couple of episodes, especially when most of those episodes have had an enormously heavy focus on Hiro getting over his personal demons. Hell, all of the children except Futoshi, Kokoro, and Miku have gotten more screentime and development than 02 herself so far; there has been literally no time for her to learn to stop being an rear end in a top hat to everyone but Hiro yet.

The show has absolutely not portrayed 02's attitude as okay; the squad is just extremely happy that Hiro - their friend and leader from childhood who was seemingly lost to them and is the one who literally gave all of them their names - has not only survived a death sentence but also found his groove and rejoined their squad as a functional and powerful member. 02 gets some kudos from them as well because it's 02 who made Hiro's return possible. That doesn't mean all of them like or are friends with 02, and in fact, in this very episode we also had an interesting bit in Dr. Franxx warning Hiro to not be a loving rollover for 02's lovey dovey act, as well. 02 hasn't been put in a situation where she needs to give a poo poo about any of the other kids yet. She's an outsider, a foreigner, and a freak; Ichigo called her inhuman to her face two episodes ago and no one else has interacted with her on a personal level, so why would 02 suddenly be friends with any of them yet?

As for "Hiro ignores Ichigo", I guess that's true if you just completely ignore their walk on the beach and their discussion where Hiro specifically recalls events from their childhood and a promise that even Ichigo assumed that he forgot, a scene that was very blatantly obviously meant to show that Hiro cares about and values Ichigo enormously, even if he doesn't feel the same way about her as she does about him. She specifically told him that she views their kiss as special and that he wants him to pay attention to her too, which is basically the exact opposite of her being some kind of sadsack who is content to just sit there and let Hiro hook up with 02.

From reading your posts, it feels like you just want all the character growth and interpersonal drama to be solved offscreen and for Hiro to hook up with Ichigo and fly off into the sunset immediately.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caphi posted:

Only, you know, he doesn't? At all?

He has a lot of scenes with her, they banter about old times, he clearly gives a poo poo about her. He just cares more about Zero Two.

(As in, they can be in the middle of a conversation, and Zero Two walks by, Hiro pauses it to say hey to his girlfriend, then goes back into the conversation picking up right where he left off.)

It's not even that he's dense about her feelings so much as he assumes they're both on the same page. They're friends, tried to be partners, it was a clusterfuck, best to move on. I mean, a guy not getting a girl might have romantic feelings for him when her confession to him before the big mission was "I think of you like a brother" does not strike me as primarily being the guy's failing.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I can't imagine a guyanyone getting romantic feelings at all in this anime right now

by getting I mean understanding before anyone tries to own me on my word choice!!

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 26, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sorry I'm exaggerating but "hey I have something really important to tell you, please don-" "HEY LOOK SOME METEORS sorry did you say something" doesn't really say "cares" in any sense whatsoever.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I mean shooting stars are probably a pretty big deal to someone who cares about stars and is getting to see them in person for the first time

e; especially when it was directly related to what they were just talking about

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 26, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Caphi posted:

Sorry I'm exaggerating but "hey I have something really important to tell you, please don-" "HEY LOOK SOME METEORS sorry did you say something" doesn't really say "cares" in any sense whatsoever.

this is straight up missing the forest for the trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Probably. Honestly, I just bluntly dislike 02 and I'm taking it out on Ichigo because she's the most consistently and prominently dunked on.

Also this show is consistently reminding me of Aquarion and this particular bit is reminding me of the worst part of Aquarion EVOL.

• Locked thread