Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Daedalus1134 posted:

The mechs have that odd organic shape thing going like Xam'd did, not really a fan of that, but everything else looks neat. Zero Two's daaaaarling plus the horns just makes me think of Lum.

The obvious similarity is to Star Driver for me. Same designer iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This show is awesome tbh. Eva + Star Driver + Aim for the Top + heterosexuals.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Probably, the robots are women after all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

He didn't just give that speech, but from the flicker it seems like a reasonable guess he was delivering that same speech to a bunch of graduating classes at once by holoconference. Orphans basically exist to die for humanity.

I took this to mean he is broadcasting rather than attending in person because he can’t risk vulnerability to monster attacks. I assumed this is the only parasite training facility, the kids don’t talk about it in a way that suggests there are others, though I guess there could be.

chiasaur11 posted:

(Or 0 Ni, which is not the worst pun I've seen this year.)

:ughh: oh wow, this totally got past me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Imo Strelizia having orange hair is a nod to what the actual flower looks like — the designs all seem to be loosely inspired by their real world namesakes except Chlorophytum and maybe Genista.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Took a look at the manga, which is running concurrently, and the cockpit design actually grosses me out a fair bit. It looks degrading, like something out of an adult parody of a mecha show instead of an actual TV anime.

Haha oh man, can’t wait to see this onscreen

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Theyre gonna transform that cockpit through half the Kama Sutra. Already in the first episode Hiro basically blacked out face first into 02’s vagañia

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I've no idea what you're even talking about.

At first it seems like “Papa” is officiating at the ceremony for the pilots, but it rapidly shows that he is not actually present except as a hologram. The poster is suggesting (I think) that this reveal is some sort of misdirection because of how quick and obvious the show was about it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, sorry, this was what I meant

I’m not sure what sort of misdirection you think it could be though. I mean, he clearly isn’t actually there. What did you have in mind? He’s a fake creation of a less cool dude, like Oz The Great And Powerful?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Prediction: they will flip "wimpy MC thrown into a Black Widow situation" into "MC is actually The One and not only survives but also starts plowing through as the Darling of multiple Franxxs, harem hijinks ensue". It's the most have cake and eat it too scenario I could come up with.

This, but the MC is 02

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Jian is the one winged bird from the story gotta pay some attention

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If you have gay birds they can only go in a circle

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fine episode about erectile dysfunction this week. Blond guy is a good friend.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What is up with the chatter about kishingu when Papa and his buds are meeting in their tall chairs room? That went over my head a bit.

e: Actually this entire scene is quite weird. A "sample without signs of physical aging"?? Do they mean the klaxosaur? Hiro? 02?

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 20, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Guy on /a/ thinks that piloting with 02 makes you older because her reject partner from the first ep had gray hair and Hiro wasn't affected by riding with her at all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This thread is going places

e: also I seriously hope all those of you who are upset by this show are not actually going to go watch Godannar lol

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 20, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

hey, godannar discussion would also be a place for this thread to go

I’m just saying, if you can’t handle a show about aggressive hetero robots powered by wood, it’s conceivable that you will not like a show in which a twenty something buffman rescues the 12-year-old protagonist from monster, enthralling her heart forever, and then marries her later while she’s in high school, IN THE FIRST EPISODE ALONE. Godannar may be the trashiest show I’ve ever watched all the way through, it is entertaining in a certain sense and not entirely in a train wreck way like, I don’t know, Dragonaut or whatever. But it makes this show look like nuanced and balanced examination of sexual politics.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im thinking 016 is just a massive sub which is why he doesn't get hurt when 02 takes over and pilots the mecha herself. It would be a pretty good twist if him being a milktoast virgin is what makes him uniquely qualified to be 02s partner. Also for being a bunch of death cult leaders those drat filthy apes just hang around in a circle doing admin work.

So wait, when they pilot Strelizia is she like, pegging him?

RME posted:

rip ichigo

HERE LIES ICHIGO. SHE NEVER SCORED

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i like that the male rival just absolutely loving sucks

yea what a douche.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Possibly my favorite part of this episode is that when 02 gets up in Strawberry's business again later to tell her to take care of her darling, she puts her hand up to preempt any further licking

e: http://i.imgur.com/tf0v59S.gifv

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 20, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fire up those theories

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The boy band in the OP are probably low numbers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Also, their surrogate mom is watching her fail, and 02 is watching her fail and smugly yawning about it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

esselfortium posted:

Yeah, Ichigo is in a truly miserable situation there. I feel awful for her too and hope she gets some sort of meaningful satisfaction and happiness by the end.

She dead

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Given that the mechs are also women, it seems like a no-brainer to pair up the mechs in bigger mechs at some point

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mecha cartoons is innately oversexed genre in which little boy (or girl) wields your pick of massive industrial war machine/abomination of biological science/literal supernatural entity, or any combination thereof, as a gonzo stand in for their frail childish physical body in a sort of idealized surrogate puberty during which they can prove their worth as an adult, hint hint, to any number of hot girls, boys, or adults. Extra points if whatever they use the mecha to fight is also highly sexualized!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Didn't Sayaka in Mazinger Z literally never win a fight or something?

I forget if this is true, but they keep sticking her in comically underpowered mechs over her repeated objections because she can’t handle a manly mech like Mazinger Z. Also her first one has literally no offensive capabilities except tit missile.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm really struggling to read this any other way, but by all means, convince me.

How All My Problems Were Brought On By My Immense Schlong, a light novel by Hiro-016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This was an okay episode but not a banger like the first two. Not much tension or threat, or really much going on. Strelizia is still better than everyone else, Dr Franxx is still a creep (without even appearing!), Hiro is still a mopey gently caress who needs to get some self respect, Ichigo still crushes on him, this show still really loves NGE, and still nobody can handle 02. Did we learn much of anything from this episode that wasn’t in the others? There’s the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it revelation that the last batch of pilots from Plantation 13 got party wiped I guess.

The smaller klaxosaurs (“saur” seems increasingly inappropriate title) are named for the Conrad discontinuity in the continental crust, just as the one from ep1 was designated for the (deeper) Mohorovičić discontinuity. I assume the big bad guys are Lehmann class.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I feel that the “much like your posting” joke does not work, when the setup is actually referring to someones posting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They shoulda called this show Darling out of the FRANXX

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Even Symphogear, literally the gayest anime, doesn't have any kisses.

The Utena tv series has exclusively heterosexual kissing, as far as I remember.

On the other hand, you have Simoun.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ikuno doesn’t want to gently caress Hiro (and might conceivably be homo). Ichigo wants to gently caress Hiro.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

King Cohort posted:

So therefore, in the show that's done everything it can, from the instant it began, to hammer in that relationships are two-way streets, and shown in exquisite, uncomfortable detail what happens when one partner isn't into the other, and how effective two partners are when they're into each other, Ikuno is going to have a relationship with someone who barely acknowledges she exists except to give her advice as team leader, and has eyes only for Hiro, because...?

Well for one thing she’s chill and not rude. I’m just explaining this because some people seem to be under the impression that anyone thinks Ichigo is gay.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Is that part from interviews or summaries or something? Cause I'm not recalling anything in the show itself that says the world used to be greener/better and hasn't always been this sparse and desolate.

Wat, it’s set in Japan

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think this thread would have much more compelling discussion if people actually focused on staff and individual shows as the basis for their opinions on the production of this show, instead of acting like a-1 is a giant printing press where mr. a-1 wakes up in the morning and pulls the lever and episode 5 of darling in the franxx pops out, only oh no, mean old mr. trigger spilled some TriggerSauce in the ink and now this show has boob jiggle! its like a childs view of how art is made.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Seriously? Wow, industry hit it hard so obviously. Has that been said in show and I just missed it or something?

On the map in APE’s super meeting dome in ep2(?) where they’re discussing meeting up with the other plantation you can see it shows the (presumably former) coastline pretty clearly. Think there’s a screenshot up thread

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 6, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

thats rinne no lagrange

Was this show any good. I dropped it around the time the fat chick who always goes ^_^ popped up because she was terrible

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe butt stuff is what brought the klaxosaurs forth from the deep and the geothermal energy stuff is a red herring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That scene with Mitsuru melting down and popping pills in the greenhouse was about one slap away from turning into Utena.

Great episode.

• Locked thread