Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
45 ACP CURES NAZIS
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

So a few months ago I started to think about getting back into shooting. I have a shotgun, pistol, .22, and high powered bolt action. The only thing I want to round out my collection is some sort of 5.56/.223 rifle. My wife however isn't a fan of guns to begin with and scary black assault rifles doubly so, so I started to look into my options for woodstock semi autos in 5.56.

The most obvious choice would be the mini-14. I ran into two main problems here. 1) it doesn't take stanags, ruger mags are expensive, non ruger mags are poo poo and 2) the a-team style folding stock with wood furniture goes for more than the rifle. I still might go this route

After this I discovered that IMBEL made and imported a FN FAL pattern rifle under the name SAR 48/SAR 4800, and some of them actually came in 5.56. Getting one of these and throwing some old rear end beat to poo poo wood furniture on it would probably be my dream gun at this point. The problem with this gun is it hasn't been imported for like a decade if not more.

Next I found out that someone actually made a m1 carbine in 5.56 that took stanag mags called the Ingram SAM. At this point I had found it. This was the ideal gun for my use. Sadly, the gun didn't catch on and was beaten out of the market by the mini 14. As a result its fairly rare with low chance of replacement parts if you do find one, probably. It also has a different shaped stock than the m1 carbine which kinda defeats the purpose anyways.

This was posted somewhere else on the forum and bounced around my head ever since then and is really what caused me to make this thread. If I can't find a sar 4800 this is probably the route I'm going to go

This was posted somewhere else on the forum and bounced around my head ever since then and is really what caused me to make this thread. If I can't find a sar 4800 this is probably the route I'm going to go

Anyways, talk about oddball rifles in 5.56 here. Doesn't have to be wood furniture, unless its about an AR-15. If anyone wants to do a better write up or has already done so, message me and I'll add it. I know someone here has a daewoo I just need to find their writeup about it.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2018 around 19:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

45 ACP CURES NAZIS
Nov 1, 2008

reserved

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Someone go track down Right Arm, he had a badass collection of non-AR 5.56 military rifles and there's probably a thread in the archives with them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

He sold a ton of them and I doubt heíll be around.

Obligatory shout out to the sig 556. Itís retarded a d you need to pour way too much money into it to make it better but I love mine.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Poodle-shooter round needs a poodle-maker gun.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ria-semiauto-famas/

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just buy a mini 14. The 580+ series are great rifles.

Midway sells oem Ruger mags for $20 on sale pretty often. Add a $2 free shipping item and your whole order ships for close to free. I have a pile of Gerber sharpeners for this reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

Yeah, people over-play how important cheap mags are. If you want something for SHTF where you need 50 of the same mag it's a big deal, but if you just need something for the range one or two is just fine.

edit: yes, I know some people like to have a bajillion AR mags so they can load up a few hundred rounds at home and never load a mag at the range. If this is a big deal for you obviously being able to buy a ton of mags is a bigger deal for you.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

He sold a ton of them and I doubt heíll be around.

Obligatory shout out to the sig 556. Itís retarded a d you need to pour way too much money into it to make it better but I love mine.

556 551A1 crew checking in. It's a really pleasant shooting gun and there's a ton of ways to improve it (Swiss-ify) compared to most other non-AR 5.56 rifles.

I miss right arm and his insane collection of good guns.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2018 around 22:02

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

You can also find mags cheap in junk bins if you know what to look for.

I've found 4 or 5 oem Ruger mags for less than $10 each over the years. One of them was an early AC556 mag that is worth $$$.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Try to Catch Me Ridin' Dirty

Fun Shoe

here are some dumb non-ar semi-auto 5.56/.223 rifles I have been associated with

Robinson Arms M96
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2_ez3scYYc

DAYE-WOO

Not My Robinson Arms XCR

Not My Swiss Arms PE90

Saiga in 223

edit: since the op has such a boner for the SAR-4800 I'll try to get some pics of one TOMORROW.

Miso Beno fucked around with this message at Jan 14, 2018 around 00:02

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Kaliber
Jun 16, 2005

I'm saving up for one because you keep posting this beautiful rifle.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

What about an ARES/Fight Light SCR? It's an AR Lower that uses a traditional-style stock and with a bit of work you can get wooden stocks to fit, I think that Remington 1100 ones fit. And it takes standard AR magazines and uppers.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Just inherited a folding stock Mini-14 a couple weeks ago. For the longest time I didn't know how sought after they were, but after experiencing firsthand how much of a pain in the butt having an AR-15 in Canada is, I'm beginning to appreciate it a lot more. It's a 185 serial, so it's a lot less accurate than the modern ones (at least, that's how it felt the times I've shot it). I'm also not a fan of the sights, but since it's not a Ranch model it seems like putting a red dot on it is going to be a pain in the rear end.

What are my options for accurizing and scoping it? I've been looking at accu-struts, but since the folding model has a weird gas block it doesn't have a place to clamp onto.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS
Nov 1, 2008

the stock is probably worth more than the rest of the rifle, so you could always just buy a modern mini to put the stock on. If I had that gun I would buy a ranch rifle with 16 in barrel and put the folding stock on it.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2018 around 23:42

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the stock is probably worth more than the rest of the rifle, so you could always just buy a modern mini to put the stock on. If I had that gun I would buy a ranch rifle with 16 in barrel and put the folding stock on it.

Barrel length in Canada needs to be 18.5" if I want to take it to my buddy's place or the woods to shoot; anything less makes it restricted and it runs into the same limitations as an AR-15 (can only shoot it at ranges certified for it as well as stricter storage and transport regulations). Depending on how much modding it would cost that might be an option to consider, but keep in mind that stuff here, especially firearms, tends to be more expensive even after taking the exchange rate into account. A couple hundred bucks for some parts here and there is a lot better than $1300 for a second rifle.

There's also the whole sentimental thing about it being one of my dad's rifles, so I'm probably not gonna sell it, even with as rough as it shoots from what I remember. Who knows, maybe I'm a better shooter now and it ended up being my fault this whole time.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

hoot hoot motherfucker

gently caress I missed and or used to own a lot of rifles in 5.56.

H&K SL6 This is not mine, I let it get away. About ten years back a local gun store had one of these for ~800. And I did not buy it. One of those things that I kind of regred, sort of, maybe.

Bushmaster M-17s. I don't own this one anymore, unfortunately, but this rifle was cool and spacegun.

It also tried to kill lefties hard. It went with the rest of the collection, unfortunately, when I really really really needed money.

Not pictures: CZ bolt action and Vepr in 223. The former was just a neat rifle, the latter was an obnoxious glassed bipoded russian pos thing with a stock like a boat paddle, a muzzle break that shattered eardrums for everybody at the range, and an ejector that flung shells a good 20-30 feet away.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

I was just coming here to post this.

Basically, buy this, then spend triple its cost.
Thing you're buying: https://ruger.com/products/american...nch/models.html
It looks like this:

The new ones support AR mags and will cost $200 more than the old ones. Not sure it's worth it, as spending a bunch of money to get to a DBM setup will allow heavier/longer bullets. The only thing that would improve it is if it were chambered in in .223 wylde.

Then you can buy a boyd's at-one stock and it will look like my rifle does now:

high res image hosting

Now you can send it off to CDI for drop bottom metal, buy an atlas bipod, and a primary arms 4x14 scope and pretend you're a mean man sniper.

Well, good luck!

ps. I think my rifle looks p handsome now.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at Jan 14, 2018 around 04:50

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Elite Taco posted:

ps. I think my rifle looks p handsome now.

It does! I'm not usually one for laminate anything but that looks pretty dang good. The angles/cuts they used actually enhance the visual pop of the laminate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

- scrooge mcduck

OWLS! posted:

gently caress I missed and or used to own a lot of rifles in 5.56.

H&K SL6 This is not mine, I let it get away. About ten years back a local gun store had one of these for ~800. And I did not buy it. One of those things that I kind of regred, sort of, maybe.

Goddamn I want one of those so bad.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn I want one of those so bad.

Same but for that Bushmaster M-17s.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Benelli MR1:

Take the gas system from an M4 shotgun, design a sporting rifle using it, decide to Hail Mary an evil black rifle design with it as a cheap way to make extra money with minimal redisign of an existing line. Fail and discontinue it.

The price was surprisingly competitive with AR builds having comparavly nice triggers and good barrels/BCGs. Sold decently in Canada and parts of Europe. A comfortech stocked model saw some sales in AWB states. But it is a clunky design and not very modifiable. U.S. import laws combined with gun owners being retarded also hurt its reputation. Uncle Sam wouldn't allow muzzle devices and citozens blamed Benelli for the plain barrels despite Euros getting flash hiders. We poo poo on Benelli for the fixed stock despite Eastern Europe getting adjustable ones. And the rail/sight relation barely allows nominal use of irons through the bottom quarter of an Aimpoint Micro or knockoff with emitter at other than 6 o'clock.

I love mine to bits. The stock fits me comfortably, rubberized grip same, trigger is very good, irons perfectly decent, and it looks ready to deal with belligerent aliens. I need to find a KSG to borrow and shoot a three gun match with my PX4 compact as well.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Go full retard and find an Armalite AR-180 with the cool wood stock. They were marketed as a hunting rifle, and not a lot were made. Alternatively, I really like my Tavor X95. No wood, but itís cool as hell. Iíd post pics, but Iím phone posting and

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

hoot hoot motherfucker

Shima Honnou posted:

Same but for that Bushmaster M-17s.

The old production ones are hit or miss build quality wise. I seem to remember a goon had one that liked to be an nfa violation. But when they work, they are really fun with a red dot. Or be the rear end like me and run it with the completely innefectual pistol-length sights that it has.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS
Nov 1, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

edit: since the op has such a boner for the SAR-4800 I'll try to get some pics of one TOMORROW.

does it take regular fal furniture? and does it have any accuracy problems/reliability issues?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Beardless posted:

What about an ARES/Fight Light SCR? It's an AR Lower that uses a traditional-style stock and with a bit of work you can get wooden stocks to fit, I think that Remington 1100 ones fit. And it takes standard AR magazines and uppers.

Full disclosure: I want one of these for absolutely no reason.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Perfect gun for Planet Of The Apes cosplay.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

- scrooge mcduck

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

I wonder how different gas system lengths interact with that oddball shotgun spur type "buffer" (yes i know it's not a real buffer, I can't think of what to call it).

45 ACP CURES NAZIS
Nov 1, 2008

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

needs a full length woodstock that completely wraps around the action

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Try to Catch Me Ridin' Dirty

Fun Shoe

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

does it take regular fal furniture? and does it have any accuracy problems/reliability issues?

Parts Commonality with Big Kid FALs
Yes it uses regular old FAL metric fal furniture. It also has a common bolt carrier, lower receiver (including small parts), piston, and muzzle device. In fact it doesnt seem like it'd be too hard to turn it back into a 308 if the bore ever got burned up.

Reliability
It's been good for the dozen or so mags it's eaten.

Accuracy
Combat accurate with M193. Some issues grouping with M855 and its related substitutes.

Bonus Photos

Magazine Release.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Picked up an Ultimak rail and got a red dot on it. With the lowest rings I could find I can get a 1/10th co-witness and the rear sight is out of the way when using the optic. I made a ghetto cheek riser with some foam and gorilla tape that still lets me fold the stock, but I'm going to try to come up with a nicer solution. Feels great right now, though.

Just waiting for my clamps to come in and I'm gonna make a barrel strut with some barstock.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress me

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Just got an idea, which seems to work perfectly. I cut a length of a bicycle inner tube and worked it onto the stock, then wrapped it around a chunk of pipe foam cut to size. This way you can slide it wherever onto the stock you want, and it stows away neatly for folding.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Just make sure the blue zone doesnít catch you while youíre waiting for the bar stock.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Dammit I gotta get something worthy of this thread. Nearest I've got at this point is a pair of SKS's but they don't cut it as far as 5.56 goes. Bullpuppery notwithstanding, of course, also of which I have nothing.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2018 around 05:16

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Get an old HK with burst fire setting in 222 Rem. and troll the thread.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

If Ammopocalypse ever happens again I'll buy a loving .222 Rem and troll this thread just because it was the only consistently available ammo I saw last time.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Those stock mods are cool and good

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Vektor CR-21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

QBZ family of rifles (export versions are in 5.56).

• Locked thread
«3 »