Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i used to work in a retirement home and the management was so crooked and awful it was unbelievable. part of the facility was a dementia ward and they kept delaying actually separating it with working doors and such so insanely demented old people would regularly emerge from the dementia ward to terrify the other residents. demented people would occasionally just leave the facility and wander the streets, but fortunately the cops always found them for us. our marketing/sales guys would promise literally anything to get people to sign the 1 year contract, then disappeared never to be seen by them again as soon as the ink was dry.

to top it all off, the company decided that we just had way too many minimum wage employees, so they decided that they could get by with only 1 caretaker to every 12 residents and started laying people off. then they decided, that in order to drum up new sales, that the place needed a renovation, so they replaced about 130 dining chairs with 1400$/each dining chairs and redid the wallpapering. meanwhile the dementia doors were still incomplete so they had to assign caretakers to watch the doors and redirect any demented people. also they decided to fire all the dining room staff so they could have the caretakers do those jobs as well, saving even more money!

this was a huge company that wasn't hurting financially in the slightest, it was pure greed and everyone but upper management suffered for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
oh yeah they also euthanized one of the old demented ladies when she became demented in a troublesome way (kept trying to escape the facility, was fearful of everyone, causing constant disruptions as caregivers had to retrieve her or calm her). they put her on a morphine drip so that she went to sleep and then they claimed that whenever they went to feed her she refused to eat (which was technically true because she was unconcious), she died about a week later. i guess the story they told the family was that in her demented state she was ill in bed and refusing to eat and she eventually died. lol!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Fartbox posted:

Old people should be euthanized

God willing, someone will blow my head clean off once I become demented

agreed but don't loving euthanize people because it's no longer cost-effective to house them and then lie to the loving family about it jesus christ

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

angryrobots posted:

This is better than the alternative where she lives out her remaining few days unhappily in terror?

maybe allow the family to decide instead of your quarterly earnings report

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Jimmy Hats posted:

Usually these people have sold their house, cashed their investments etc.

reverse mortgages were extremely common

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

COMRADES posted:

Just say their name

:shrug:

You're not going to be liable libel-wise for anything posted on an internet comedy forum if that's what you're worried about.

sure, here's a nice article about this lovely corporation from an... interesting source?

http://www.mcknightsseniorliving.co...article/655757/

basically all the big ones are run in the same hosed up way though

Smythe posted:

i mean someday ur gonna be old and probably want to live, and like, post online and watch tv and drink beer and stuff. when were old we can still post. think on that.. bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNSXBJOMk5U

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Lena Dunham posted:

This didn't actually happen, for anybody wondering

What makes you say that?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Wild Horses posted:

why would they kill a patient with fairly normal case of severe dementia my man

because they literally didn't have the manpower available to deal with one severe dementia patient that was constantly agitated in spite of medication and it looks pretty bad when your dementia patients manage to kill themselves (or another resident) due to lack of supervision. like, much worse than if they die peacefully in their sleep.

there was another dementia patient who was pretty in shape for his age and he would literally run rampant through the halls at night for the first few days he was there, flipping couches, smashing paintings, tearing the phones from the walls. the residents were rightly terrified of him. the caretaker's solution was to let him roam unsupervised and to travel together in a group (because they were also terrified of him). fortunately he responded well to medication, he likely would have killed someone in a place where a fall can be lethal

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Fartbox posted:

I dont know why it's so controversial to kill people who brains got so severaly broke that they can't function and are clearly suffering in every drat way

How is it more humane to ensure that they keep suffering?

this comes down a lot to denial on the part of the family. i can understand it too, it's really hard to see someone you know and love transform in the way dementia patients do, it can be completely overwhelming to people. in my experience, a lot of people simply deny the reality of the situation, either minimizing it ("they're just a little forgetful is all"), externalizing the blame ("this must be from something you guys/the doctor did to him! just the other day he wasn't acting this way!"), or just cutting off contact altogether since seeing them in that state is just too much to handle.

religious values play a part too probably

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Laterite posted:

People are self-centered and irrational.

"We're going to do everything we can to keep Grandma alive! It's to show we love her!"

* Grandma breathes through a machine and doesn't remember any of her loved ones *

single tear drips down grandma's face as the pain intensifies

"She knows we're here! She's happy to see us!"

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

gary oldmans diary posted:

i would rather die from morphine overdose than starving to death over a week though

also how do they avoid getting sued for not feeding a person for a week when the nurses are supposed to keep track of that? the excuse of the person being asleep when the nurse checked has a lot of holes

you can't force a resident to eat. not even a demented one. you can try, you can cajole and convince, but you cannot force them to eat and if they refuse then that's perfectly legal. they do keep track of meals, you just mark that the resident refused to eat. it's a pretty easy system to get around.

the system they used for distributing medications was even more ripe for exploitation, since residents could also refuse to take their medications and you could not force them. in fact it meant that you had to destroy their pills. like, you personally, then you would verify that you had destroyed the pills by marking off a sheet. needless to say many many dementia residents frequently refused their pain medications so the med-techs could "destroy the pills"

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

GORDON posted:

IMO people should plan for their own retirement and old age, since they know old age is absolutely, positively coming, and not rely on the government (which absolutely does not love you) to take care of you, or, god forbid, have, "My kids are supposed to take care of me" be your one and only retirement plan.

so what you're saying is that we should be striving to be more like victorian england?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

GORDON posted:

I don't know what that means.

But if you rely on someone else to take care of you, you have to pretty much guarantee that you're going to be treated like poo poo. Plan for your own old age, or get dumped. Your kids have their own lives. The government doesn't care.

that's how things were in victorian england. private charities, families, and friends were what provided for the elderly who couldn't provide for themselves. what this meant for most people was that they wouldn't be able to afford to retire so they continued working until they were literally unable, then with any luck they had a large enough family to support them as an invalid for a few years before they died. most people don't look at that as an ideal to strive towards.

personally i think that senior citizens should have the opportunity to enjoy their twilight years instead of living in abject poverty as a burden on their loved ones, even if this means higher taxes and allowing people who didn't plan longterm to go unpunished

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

mind the walrus posted:

Like eugenicists? Sure. If that label makes you feel like you have license to demonize, go for it. Have you ever done elder care? Not just for Nana or Uncle, but an actual population? Death is a legitimate mercy.

my first post in this thread is about my experiences working elder care. many of my subsequent posts refer to my experiences working elder care. also i'm not against euthanasia

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

mind the walrus posted:

Valid point. All the same, dementia and Alzheimer's are a form of living hell. There shouldn't be a rush to euthanasia but it should be a real option.

it should definitely be an option and it should also be something that people can approach without stigma or guilt. but aging and becoming infirm is one of those things that no one likes to think about so it gets swept under the rug instead of examined critically, or at all, and then when presented with a scenario that actually calls for it people go into full on denial due to fears and anxieties it brings out in them as individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

13Pandora13 posted:

I have this video bookmarked for when the time comes https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b7c_1359440522 Fiance and I already discussed it, once one of us starts to tip towards senility we'll just helium off ourselves.

Fun fact, when you google "exit bag" all you get are suicide prevention links, you have to add "video" or "old lady" at the end for Google to not think you're trying to off yourself.

GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > It costs roughly 165000 dollars a year average to live in a nursing home/suicide advice thread

• Locked thread