Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am going to carepost in this thread so hard but i am on my phone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have been trying to find a single DIN car stereo that works in my car with carplay for a while now and all the options have things i hate.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

thebigcow posted:

I miss 90s cars where the climate and audio controls were tilted towards the driver.

have you considered buying a lotus my dude

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
so when it came out i got this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-PF350...parrot+asteroid

a pre android auto attempt to port android to a car radio. sounds like a neat idea. in practice it is terrible.

real electronics manufacturers use a grey code for volume control knobs. you get a rotary encoder that actually works then because the grey code ensures that only one digit of the position sensor readout is changing at a time, and you can do easy error correction to determine which direction you actually rotated the knob in. whatever they used for a rotary encoder for the volume knob here is absolute garbage. turn the knob and it jumps randomly up and down and maybe eventually settles on the right value, but probably not! it makes controlling the thing basically impossible. also the apps constantly crash, and when i say apps i mean basic features like "control volume" and "listen to fm radio". sometimes it turns off all user input and just blasts whatever the last input source was at you, and randomly turns on and off.

i threw it in the trash recently and i'm installing a system that's literally just an aux plug that goes to an amplifier for the speakers. it will be 1000x better.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
that is the readio that comes STOCK in the 90,000 alfa romeo 4C, which is why i thought it couldn't possibly be that bad. it was so bad and i hated it so much.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Endless Mike posted:

i have a pioneer thing with carplay. seems fine mostly

pioneer only recently released a single DIN carplay receiver, i bought it and returned it when i found out that the flip out screen would require me to shave off a half inch of my wiper control stalk to make it able to flip out, or turn the wipers to the on position first.

right now that's the only single DIN unit on the market. alpine has one coming out in feb that i might buy if it fits into my car without interfering with basic features like "using the goddamn wipers"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

i rented a uhaul for a little bit that would keep playing the radio even when the car was off and i was opening up the door to leave

the bmw i rented recently played it until you actually locked the door with the fob. i just turned it off each time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you haven't replaced your tires in six years you probably need new ones

dry rot is a hell of a thing. it will kill tires in 3-4 years.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my tires do not sense anything, i just check them every other time i fill up the gas.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

hey car companies just a weird wee idea but how about you make cars better as time goes on

different direction to what youre used to be doing I know but leave the engineering bits to those guys they seem to know whats up but the rest of you are dumb

have you considered getting a lotus my dude it is about as simple as cars can be and it is very good.

if you need more space idk get like a 2000 jeep wrangler or something. thats basically all a car should be.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Endless Mike posted:

how the hell do you still have a job

being the engineer that makes the product doesn’t always give you the ability to define the parameters of the product itself.

sometimes you get an order from marketing saying “we want one polished turd please” and you have to give them the polished turd because thats what the customer demands!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
knobs in cars are good.

except idrive, dont put everything on one giant knob, dumb dumbs, use one knob per feature.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

this baffles me too, op.

also, the icons and general interface designs for the GPS and radios and poo poo in newer cars tend to look like something from a late 90s web browser.

i think it is because they just want to make it feel familiar to everyone, and they want a big screen without needig to have a huge dash up in your face.

it is an awkward compromise though, i agree.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Breakfast Feud posted:

The upside of all this is 15 years from we're going to see some loving RAD homebrew hacks after all this junk stops being supported by the manufacturer. We're already at a point where guys are making DIY ecus for old motorbikes.

there is a one crazy dude in the uk making lcd dashes for the elise and vx220

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdALk2lE2YQ

thinking of getting one because it is yospos af

he has ios and android apps for setup too, super cool

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Midjack posted:

that thing is gonna scorch your eyeballs at night

it does have brightness settings that change when the headlights turn on, so hopefully not

also takes additional inputs like aftermarket temp and boost gages and stuff

first run sold out (i think only a few hundred units) but a 2nd run is in the works

https://garw.co

also right now it just lets you update boot logos, but eventually there is a plan to make user modifiable skins for the gages by adding your own sprites, so if you want a 1983 VFD feel you should be able to make that

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 24, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

George posted:

sounds like it really whips the llamas rear end

if i could get a winamp 1.0 or windows hotdog stand themed dash display i would do it in a minute.

thatd be worth well over the $1000 that the lcd dash actually costs.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my wife has a 2014 lexus is350c and the options for replacing the radio are complete garbo.

the system it came with has navigation that is useless, and apps that are useless. it'd be nice to throw in an aftermarket radio with carplay but finding one that will integrate with the factory AC controls and the backup camera is impossible so it's a reasonably new car that we paid 50,000 for and the radio user experience is total poo poo.

we actually also looked at the competition, the infiniti and bmw models, and they were worse at the time that we bought it, in early 2015.

car computers are complete trash garbage and they're so integrated now that you can't upgrade them to a good option even if it comes out in the future.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Skim Milk posted:

it sounds like your carputer is.... trash

yes. at least i dont pay a monthly fee for it like bmw owners, tho.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
hmmm which car to buy? have yo considered a lotus elise?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I ended up not getting any head unit at all and just getting a bluetooth adapter from amazon that plugs into a 3.5mm jack, which is plugged directly into the an amplifier.

the head unit hole in the dash just has a pocket in it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
here is how you connect your phone to your car in tyool 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

muckswirler posted:

did you actually install a din pocket? gently caress yeah buddy

still putting it back together but yes. no visible radio except for the speakers, $10 bluetooth to 3.5mm adapter connected to a 5 channel waterproof boat amplifier because my car doesn’t keep out water good, powering 4 5.25” speakers and a 10” subwoofer. din pocket in the dash to hold the phone and thats it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
here is the entire radio i have in my car now:

Mpow Bluetooth 4.1 Transmitter/Receiver,with 3.5mm Audio Cable/RCA Cables Connected to TV & Paired with 2 Bluetooth Headphones At Once in TX Mode,Enjo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KXIKCSI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I did it. My car is now just a bluetooth output device. No head unit at all. Just an oversized phone accessory.

It is loud af, just bluetooth adapter right into a power amplifier and speakers. You dont see anything on the dash and the volume is controlled by the phone.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

thats cool but do you ever notice that bluetooth is highpassing the gently caress out of the bass?

its happened to me on two separate cars and multiple phones so i dont know wtf is doing it

i can select the different iphone music EQs and they seem to work. i have a 10” sub in there now with a crossover in the amp, so it booms p good.

havent noticed any bluetoob filters tho. if i do, i will probably dongle it right in to the amp.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Silver Alicorn posted:

just got a new car, thinking of upgrading the stereo. my main question is: can aftermarket stereo do adaptive volume?

like volume increasing with speed? most of them have a standard vehicle speed sensor input that the aftermarket units will use fine, but it will have to be an aftermarket unit that supports it. you might have to pick between some different speed sensitivity settings.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah naturally aspirated cars will have a compression ratio too high to run much boost. a car that is designed for forced induction will generally have a much lower compression ratio, and be able to run a lot more boost. high compression ratio + boost = you need to run 100 octane race gas or you’ll get detonation (detonation = flame front inside engine exceeds the speed of sound, now you have an internal explosion engine instead of an internal combustion engine). no one wants to put $10/gallon race gas in a daily driver.

also you might need forged vs cast engine components to handle potential detonation on a supercharged or turbocharged car. if you do get detonation, forged pistons and things are much less likely to crack when that happens. cast components are cheaper but more brittle and prone to cracking. most cars today will have cast pistons and other internals.

also stuff like fuel delivery systems will probably not easily be able to handle a bunch of extra air without getting bigger injectors and stuff like that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
15fps is bad and nothing should be manufactured in tyool 2018 that records fewer than 30fps. 60fps for non-poor (premium luxo) brands.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
stereo hole blank pocket + $10 bluetoob adapter + amplifier still suiting my needs quite well.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

is this the car thread still hi

yes.

car update i just took my wheels in to get them powder coated "nuclear sunset orange"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How much does powder coating cost? I have some washing machines to repair because Sarnsung uses raw aluminum for structural parts of the wash drum and Surprise Surprise it corrodes to poo poo and breaks. Need to get something on them so they last longer

it is a total of 750 for all 4 wheels, including 50 or so each for some straightening on two wheels with mild dents (the main reason i decided to refinish them) and 100 bucks for the special dumb powder color.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

the clear on my wheels is going, so im thinking of having them PC'd. however they're 2piece Style 19's:

so i'm considering actually taking them apart, having the spiders and barrels pc'd black, then re-assembling with the original silver bolts

i think it might look really good

yeah i was thinking of doing two tone but it starts to get more expensive than i want to do for a dumb ironic orange wheel purchase (adds $500-600 to the price for multiple powders and masking vs adding $100 to just order the orange powder)

the powder coating guy has his whole setup at the bmw dealership because that seems to be the owner demographic that drives all his business.

only thing i might worry about is that if your center cap there isnt metal they might not be able to powder coat it to match.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 5, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
well these are dumb as hell now

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah i think the wheels are usually treated at about 100° less than the powder coating cure, but the powder coating cure is p short and my wheels were bent anyway. if i want to track it i will probably get a whole extra set of new alloy wheels :shrug:

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 6, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Midjack posted:

i always got dads in minivans trying to race the subaru. now it's yuppies in audis and bmws trying to race the honda. taking the bait and racing at stoplights is for choads.

ill race someone to the speed limit from a stoplight on an empty road, thats pretty safe and kinda fun.

the guys who bother me are the corvettes that want to start from 60mh on the highway

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
garbage chinese food is great dont food shame

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
trip report: went to the discount tire location in the rich person suburbs (bee cave, the austin suburb named after that one time a guy accidentally found a cave full of bees) because they have the machine that will mount the tires without touching (scratching) the rims.

it is the fanciest discount tire i ever saw:

also bee cave city hall is in a strip mall next to the whole foods and dicks sporting goods:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if there was such a thing as a bedazzler for cars i would buy that poo poo in a heartbeat

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
well the wheels are p orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i just ordered replacement grilles to replace the fins/louvres with a wire mesh that will be powder coated in the same orange . also all-black center caps for the wheels so there is not yellow on orange there anymore.

• Locked thread