Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Yeah I'm sure its way easier to stay "Computer take me to four q f j one two three four six seven eight nine" than it is to say "Computer take me to Tree Pillow Television"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Maybe just learn to read a road map, and learn how to navigate yourself then drive there, instead of being completely blind and dependent on something that has zero knowledge of real route conditions?

I'm not advocating for the solution but don't pretend it doesn't have advantages. It would be pretty neat to look up some rural address up online and be able to remember three words vs some combination of numbers and meaningless street/city names that might not even point to the actual location.

For example, we went trap shooting the other day, the range was in a bedroom community of a bedroom community; down a gravel road off a rural highway. It would have been more convenient for me as someone not from the town to look up three magic words that just tell my car how to get there.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I've got a 2017 GTI and its got the apple/google thing where you can just plug in your phone and it shows you a car-friendly interface, locked down to stuff you can interact with while driving. It works pretty well but it means you have to use apple maps if you have an iphone :/

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

supposedly ford is doing something to allow waze to use the screen on their units, but how that differs from a proper mobile app is beyond me. its also dumb that apple doesnt allow a mirror mode. i mean i get why but come on those few idiots instagramming while driving would be worth the chance to use it for other apps

Yeah the limitations are pretty severe and sometimes arbitrary. I haven't been able to figure out how to search for a song on spotify (not even with voice to text) but I can scroll through and select previously played playlists.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Breakfast Feud posted:

2016 Yaris is p. good. I'm pretty sure the 2017 doesn't use CAN bus for anything, because it's really, really cheap. It's got a 1.3L motor and a non-CV transmission. The infotainment center doesn't do internet, just bluetooth iirc and the temperature/fan controls are actually physical switches.

I had a 2007 Yaris that I still regret selling, drove it for nearly a decade with basically no problems. The only option I got on it was the aux jack.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

President Beep posted:

how'd you like the center gauge cluster? that always seemed odd to me.

its fine, you just glance over when you wanna know your speed (no tachometer installed or really needed, even on the manual.) You can have your hands anywhere on the steering wheel and still see it, and it allowed them to put another little storage area behind the wheel which was nice.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

kinda want this

If you like it but don't want to pay new bike prices, look for a Sym Symba. They're a honda cub clone made by Sym (which at one point made the cub for honda, they've been building them for years). They've been discontinued but you can find ~5 year old models for pretty cheap, I got one about a month ago and love it.

Super practical bike, 100mpg and a lot of fun. I'll maybe pick up the new one if anything happens to mine

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

President Beep posted:

2400 bucks. that'd be loving awesome for a big city.

Where'd you see that? I had read the price for the new ones was gonna be more like 3600.

I paid 1500 for my Sym, and I probably could have talked down from that. There aren't a ton of them out there and it was in really good condition though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Oh, for the sym, I thought you meant the Honda one. The sym symba is discontinued so it's just the used market now.

The Honda does have some nice updates, fuel injection, disk brakes with abs; the sym is much more similar to the origional

• Locked thread