Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I'm curious what's left for him to be so good at that they outweigh being real bad at both these very important things.

Cowher was equally inept in different ways, yet they kept him for 16 years. Coordinators come and go, but they keep the HC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Jaguars have won the same amount of playoff games in the last 7 days as the Cowboys have the last 22 years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DUUUVVVVVALLLLL

:randstare:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Wish i didnt sleep through another epic steelers playoff chokejob

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Cowher was equally inept in different ways, yet they kept him for 16 years. Coordinators come and go, but they keep the HC

OK so that's more of a function of who the Steelers are as an organization than the balance of Tomlin's abilities.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMuellerPGH/status/952656659691778049
God Tomlin better watch out from the lovely loving yinzers who probably want him for dead now

I remember Chris Mueller from the Jerry Sandusky threadpocalypse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I'm curious what's left for him to be so good at that they outweigh being real bad at both these very important things.

Most of a coach's job is done Tuesday through Saturday. There are quite a few coaches who are really good at preparation and teaching but bad at in-game tactics (most spectacularly on the offensive and defensive side, Andy Reid and Marty Schottenheimer) but no coaches who are bad at prep/teaching but good at in-game tactics, because if you're bad at prep/teaching you don't get anywhere near the NFL head coach level.

If you're extremely good at both then your name is Bill Belichick and you're the greatest coach of all time. But most of the really good coaches are bad-to-mediocre game day tacticians. Tomlin is actually pretty drat good at game day tactics compared to Andy Reid and Tomlin's predecessor Bill Cowher

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

OK so that's more of a function of who the Steelers are as an organization than the balance of Tomlin's abilities.

Yeah. They'll try to upgrade his supporting coaches. Haley's contract is expired as of March, and they'll probably give Butler 1 more year. Butler should probably be the one to go, but I see them sacrificing Haley to entice Ben into coming back

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Blake Bortles is 100% a name from an anime or a Japanese RPG.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Tomlin sometimes feels like a Marvin Lewis with a better organization around him

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I remember Chris Mueller from the Jerry Sandusky threadpocalypse.

I followed him on Twitter during that mess and never unfollowed because he’s a pro tweeter

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/AlyssaLang/status/952662345951653888

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah. They'll try to upgrade his supporting coaches. Haley's contract is expired as of March, and they'll probably give Butler 1 more year. Butler should probably be the one to go, but I see them sacrificing Haley to entice Ben into coming back

Doesn't Ben have to pay back a bunch of money if he retires this year?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Roasted Donut posted:

It is a joke. Mueller is one of the most vocal local people who shut down all the stupid rear end yinzer cowher bullsdhit

I will love Mueller forever for loving DESTROYING Paterno apologists.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Butler's nothing special but they need better defensive linemen more urgently than a new defensive coordinator. Heyward's a keeper but that's all they have. The team got blown off the line by good o-lines all year.

For all the BLITZBURGH!@&#$ nonsense, besides Polamalu's unique awesomeness the engine that made those great 2004-2010 defenses run was that Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Kimo/Kiesel were really awesome and dominated the LOS

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Flikken posted:

Doesn't Ben have to pay back a bunch of money if he retires this year?

Yeah, but I think he really hates Haley

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/glennonsports/status/952663558290014208?s=17

https://twitter.com/KimJonesSports/status/952662771547738114?s=17

:suicide:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah, but I think he really hates Haley

I don't know if I could hate a guy enough to cut a 12 million dollar check.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Roethlisberger isn't going to retire, but if Haley stays he'll go out of his way to make himself a pain in the rear end, and that is something he is very very good at

If you made a list of the five biggest raging assholes in the NFL--a league chock full of raging assholes--Roethlisberger and Haley would both be on it. The only surprise is it's taken them this long to develop blistering eternal hatred for each other

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I love you, Malik

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Eric the Mauve posted:

Roethlisberger isn't going to retire, but if Haley stays he'll go out of his way to make himself a pain in the rear end, and that is something he is very very good at

But he’s only done that to women as far as we know

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

But he’s only done that to women as far as we know

:vince:

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Roethlisberger feels due to drop off the cliff if he doesn't retire. His deep balls are still good but they seem to come and go among a sea of mediocre play

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jax seems to match up with Pittsburgh very well for some reason.

Also, only the second team to win twice at Heinz field.

(the Jags were also the first. :randstare:)

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Jax seems to match up with Pittsburgh very well for some reason.

Also, only the second team to win twice at Heinz field.

(the Jags were also the first. :randstare:)

I wish you luck, steadfast Jags dude

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5-0 vs the AFC North. Jags should claim that title.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I wish you luck, steadfast Jags dude

I'm just happy to be here. :randstare:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Master Stur posted:

Roethlisberger feels due to drop off the cliff if he doesn't retire. His deep balls are still good but they seem to come and go among a sea of mediocre play

Hot take, the Steelers o-line is very good and makes all their skill position players look better than they really are.

Like, Brown's the best WR in the league but he's not Jerry Rice. Roethlisberger still looks peak-ish but actually has declined pretty noticeably. Bell is good but he's not Tomlinson. Etc.

Pete Carroll and whoever's running the Lions should look into this fascinating new concept of good offensive lines making their offense dramatically better, it sounds promising

e: The Steelers might actually wind up worse off if they promote Munchak to OC because he is one hell of a great o-line coach

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Jags also match up well with New England. That game should be interesting if the Jags manage to get pressure on Brady with just the front four. I fully expect the Pats to curb stomp them since there is no God.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cash Monet posted:

Can you make the hall of fame if you've lost to Tim Tebow or Blake Bortles in the playoffs.

Made me curious. Tom Brady's playoff losses by opposing quarterback from worst to best:

Mark Sanchez
2016 Peyton
Jake Plummer (Jeez it's been a while)
Joe Flacco/Eli Manning
non-2016 Peyton

Flikken posted:

I don't know if I could hate a guy enough to cut a 12 million dollar check.

I mean you don't have 100 mill or whatever in the bank already either.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Is Jake Plummer still playing handball in the mountains or whatever

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Jags also match up well with New England. That game should be interesting if the Jags manage to get pressure on Brady with just the front four. I fully expect the Pats to curb stomp them since there is no God.

I know there is no chance/

But if the Jags stop Brady Bowl 8.0 I will be so loving happy

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Bill calling Kyle right now, “So, about the favor I did you with Jimmy G. I’m calling in the marker; give me that week 16 game plan versus the Jaguars.”

Belichik plays eighth dimensional chess, god drat.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Murray is a huge back

Edit Not GDT :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Jags bitch cat teams bitch

Saw a dude walking around my Philly neighborhood yesterday in full Jags gear, I hope he gets laid tonight

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I will love Mueller forever for loving DESTROYING Paterno apologists.
They still get mad at for him for saying how much of a Pitt guy he is when Mueller went to PSU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
https://twitter.com/gosensgo101/status/952646045875367938

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

they're lighting off fireworks in london

They should be The London Jaguars are beginning Englands second invasion of Boston

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/952673568856399872

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

This needed to be repeated a few dozen more times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH