Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Finger Prince posted:

Brady and the Patriots are like Schumacher at Ferrari.

So are you saying we need to introduce Tom to skiing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cash Monet posted:

Can you make the hall of fame if you've lost to Tim Tebow or Blake Bortles in the playoffs.

Made me curious. Tom Brady's playoff losses by opposing quarterback from worst to best:

Mark Sanchez
2016 Peyton
Jake Plummer (Jeez it's been a while)
Joe Flacco/Eli Manning
non-2016 Peyton

Flikken posted:

I don't know if I could hate a guy enough to cut a 12 million dollar check.

I mean you don't have 100 mill or whatever in the bank already either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

Brown is amazing and I would take him over any WR currently playing, but historically I don't know if I would over Moss or TO at their absolute peaks.

of course the fact he's being compared to two of the best ever says a lot by itself, doesn't it?

I think I take early Moss over anyone. He was like Lawrence Taylor in how he was just unstoppable and no one could figure it out.

But yeah Brown probably does belong in this discussion which is pretty damned impressive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Case Keenum ain't in nothing yet

You should read up on the colorful history of the Minnesota Vikings in the playoffs

I read this as being about Vikings quarterbacks at first and was really confused. I was like, yeah they haven't won poo poo but man they've had some decent QBs not winning for them.

I got what you were going for eventually.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Don't care about arguing for/against it at all, but using the excuse to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8

If we're including coaching decisions imagine I posted that pic of the Chiefs huddling down 2 scores with under two minutes while the clock was running from a couple of years ago.

It didn't blow the game, but it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I mean that was the worst but I'm assuming we're talking about player mistakes rather than coaching mistakes. Otherwise there are about 5 candidates from the 2013 NFCCG alone, Cowher's bizarre play call on the last Steelers play of the 1994 AFCCG, the Falcons' total unwillingness to just run out the clock and take an extra field goal last year, etc.

Wilson's decision to throw that ball instead of eating it was real bad too though.

e: The absolute best thing about that INT though was the fact that everyone, including the broadcasters and myself, was yelling at Belichick to let them score, but Belichick knew Pete Carroll and he knew Pete Carroll would try to get fancy and gently caress it up.

This was before my time and I have no clue the exact game time/situation but just looking up hyped super bowl plays there was a Dolphin that had John Riggins dead to rights on his career defining run. More of a physical mistake than a mental one, Riggins just ran through the tackle.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Despera posted:

Holy poo poo someone has way too much time on his hands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_High_Miracle

At least that's kind of notable. Time to link my favorite NFL related wiki page. 187 references about a lovely wide receiver who never did anything at all other than catch one long 4th down pass and get Belichick to go on the record saying "all he does is talk. He's terrible, and you can print that. I was happy when he was in the game."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

axeil posted:

Freddie Mitchell has had an um, interesting career.

I gotta give him credit, the one play he ever made was pretty ridiculous. Watch this set of downs real quick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNKYvxKnL1s&t=6815s

Marvel at how much the in the grasp rule sucked. Then watch Green Bay pre-Capers give a preview of post-Capers.

e: Haha the spot on that play is horrendous. He got the first down, but not by two full yards.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 15, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

Not sure why I keep seeing this, its not really true. I mean Forbath would have to make the kick but Diggs makes the catch at the 33 and had almost 4 seconds on the clock. Hell, he crosses the goal line as the clock strikes 0.

If he got oob after the catch they would have had time for the kick.

One of us is reading that incorrectly, I think he was coming at it from the other direction. As in the Saints still would have lost.

Which I consider far from certain because of Vikings game ending field goal curses and that it would have been a long kick anyway and blah blah. But the play certainly could have put the Vikings in position to win even had the Saints defended it semi-competently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

To be fair it's mostly Chiefs fans who are ga ga over Mahomes that are saying Smith sucks

Way late but I can't stop myself from commenting on an Alex Smith derail.

Around here at least I don't know that any of the Chiefs fans are really saying he sucks (maybe LiquidFriend?). There are plenty in the wild of course claiming that. But man is his ceiling what it is. It's a shame he had terrible coaching for his first 7 or whatever years in the league and only found success once Harbaugh simplified the living poo poo out of everything and told him to never ever take chances. He's clearly smart enough that he didn't need the coddling Harbaugh gave him but the "whatever happens Jesus Christ do not take any chances" is just ingrained deep in his head. The thing that is most annoying about Alex is when he gets a little rattled he'll start feeling phantom pressure and get into this mode where he makes one short read and if that isn't there he's going to try to take off running. Which often leads to him running himself into sacks when he would have been perfectly fine if he took a step up or just stood in the same place. There is very little moving up in the pocket or rolling away from pressure while keeping his eyes upfield with Alex.

Now he has gotten somewhat better about those things this year, which is a big part of his career season. And when he isn't rattled and things are clicking he is capable of making a lot of pretty throws, this year even some aggressive ones. It's also worth noting that despite those things he was still a pretty decent NFL quarterback for the last few years. He'd be a massive upgrade for ~5 teams, and I'm guessing a clear and easy upgrade for another handful+ who aren't already tied to developing young guy (haven't actually gone down the list, this number could be high or low). He ought to make a team pretty happy next year even though I expect he'll never be as good as he was this year again.

It's also quite possible Mahomes never turns into the decent to good quarterback Smith is, but the Chiefs are kinda locked into developing him now.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd hire Todd Haley immediately as a WR coach.

I'd not hire him to anything above that though.

• Locked thread