Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

BattleTech posted:

Wow, that is an impressively bad build

Thanks! How would you unfuck it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I want to buy the Fafnir because I cannot stop myself from making poor life decisions.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Bishyaler posted:

Run 4 LB10X in the torso, and as much ammo as you can fit.
Also swap the ferro for endo steel, you shouldn't need heat sinks outside of the stock 10 in the engine.
Real quickly, something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=566&l=ef7260c5c0f9ee5962c44829c012f8d6316adefc

Crazyeyes24 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 16, 2018

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Run 4 LB10X in the torso, and as much ammo as you can fit.
Also swap the ferro for endo steel, you shouldn't need heat sinks outside of the stock 10 in the engine.

The stock 2A comes with 4 LBX10, kept running out of ammo, and the 200 STD engine was unbearable. Wouldn’t smuggling ammo like a drug mule turn me into a bomb when I take a critical hit?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Bishyaler posted:

The stock 2A comes with 4 LBX10, kept running out of ammo, and the 200 STD engine was unbearable. Wouldn’t smuggling ammo like a drug mule turn me into a bomb when I take a critical hit?

Torso twist to spread the damage out, keep most of it in the legs, shoot it faster than they shoot you etc. People are also dumb and usually dont shoot annihilators in the arms or legs. If they are smart and do that, then yeah you might asplode.

Not as violently as dual heavy gauss builds though.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Ammo explosions from crits are a lot rarer than you might think in MWO, in my experience anyway. I've had way more times getting murdered by my Gauss exploding than someone critting my ammo for anything else.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
These posts about ammo had me wondering about in what order the ammo in a mech gets used. This is from an old post, so I can't confirm right now if it's still accurate, but it sounds reasonable. MWO Forums Post

a dev posted:

Whether we get selectable ammo draw is up to design and their priorities for getting stuff into the game. I can't really answer for them. Ammo draw ordering is fixed for all mechs and independent of faction. It's presently: Center Torso -> Right Torso -> Left Torso -> Right Arm -> Left Arm-> Left Leg -> Right Leg -> Head. No exceptions are intended, so if the the draw ordering is any different from that it's a bug.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's correct, here's a handy visual.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Bishyaler posted:

I run a 4 lbx10 2NA with a 300STD, with Double heatsinks and max armor. I'm not sure if I have 6 or 8 tons of ammo in it. I quirked for for max armor bonus, top speed, and torso twisting. Leftover skillpoints I put into extra ammo and lbx range extending. I pretty regularly break 900dmg in it.

You can do a similar RAC5 build but the heat build is insane.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
PSA for Annihilator builds:

ALWAYS TAKE THE MAX ENGINE POSSIBLE

it is already Too Slow even at max speed, anything slower than that is unworkable

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

Dude, what the hell, you put a standard engine in a clan mech?

Yeah, it's almost like the engine cap is ridiculously low, crits are more valuable than tonnage on a big assault, and the Supernova benefits from not losing half of its mobility and cooling when you lose your gigantic side torso! What a weird concept.

Xenothral posted:

Ammo explosions from crits are a lot rarer than you might think in MWO, in my experience anyway. I've had way more times getting murdered by my Gauss exploding than someone critting my ammo for anything else.

Ammo has a 10% chance to explode when destroyed via a crit or section destruction. It's a low enough chance that when it happens you can blame poo poo luck instead of not being prepared. Never use CASE.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Please help me to stop wasting time on this stupid game

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Angelwolf posted:

Please help me to stop wasting time on this stupid game

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I hate you guys. Finally decided to come back after over a year, built an Assassin from the OP and went to town. Love that I don't need three variants anymore and I have something stupid like 4.5k skill points from my big refund so speccing out is no hassle.

Animations still suck but whatever, at least the game is still fun.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

This is... Horribly accurate

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

novaSphere posted:

I hate you guys. Finally decided to come back after over a year, built an Assassin from the OP and went to town. Love that I don't need three variants anymore and I have something stupid like 4.5k skill points from my big refund so speccing out is no hassle.

Animations still suck but whatever, at least the game is still fun.

Yeah, if you're one of those lucky folks who had a bunch modules back before the Skill Tree patch then you got a truckload of free GSP and basically never have to worry about XP grinding ever again.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 17, 2018

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Couldn't you boat an assload of UAC2s on the ANH-2A? Something akin to the Direwhale?

ANH-2A 6xUAC2

I've seen this build I'm pretty sure...

ANH-2A 2xUAC10 2xUAC5

I feel like the ammo is pretty tight on both builds. Especially the UAC10/5 build. But if it bides its time, it can sweep a battlefield.

Personally I use the ANH-1X, double heavy gauss laser vomit build. poo poo is insane.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I played against an absolutely vicious 6xac5 ANH. Just nonstop pinpoint slams of 15 per. Not sure how you'd make it tho.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stringbean posted:

Couldn't you boat an assload of UAC2s on the ANH-2A? Something akin to the Direwhale?

ANH-2A 6xUAC2

I've seen this build I'm pretty sure...

ANH-2A 2xUAC10 2xUAC5

I feel like the ammo is pretty tight on both builds. Especially the UAC10/5 build. But if it bides its time, it can sweep a battlefield.

Five UAC5s is going to beat six UAC2s any day. That build works on the Direwolf because the hero pods let you run eight bloody UACs.

I've seen the 10/5 build. It has slightly stronger burst, but I think the quint 5s are better. Their sustained DPS is higher, and that's what the Annihilator wants. It doesn't care about efficient trades from behind cover. It wants to anchor a push, and lean on the fire button until one team is dead.

Rysithusiku posted:

I played against an absolutely vicious 6xac5 ANH. Just nonstop pinpoint slams of 15 per. Not sure how you'd make it tho.

This is the 6x5 version: ANH-2A

I'm not a huge fan, as it's got a lower burst and sustained output than the 5x5 ultra. Yeah, it never jams, but jams are overrated.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 17, 2018

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Got myself a Deathstrike and it is fun. Still need to get used to gauss rifle charging up, but managed some decent rounds, and had 1 with more than 1K damage - ran out of gauss rifle ammo, legged but that turned out to be a beneft since I was slow, and at the edges of brawls but could still murder people with 6 medium lasers.

Is it viable to try 4 ERPPCs on any variants of the Mad Cat 2? Was thinking that may give me more heat sinks to work with compared to the Warhawk.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Weissritter posted:

Is it viable to try 4 ERPPCs on any variants of the Mad Cat 2? Was thinking that may give me more heat sinks to work with compared to the Warhawk.

it'd probably work, but the WHK has some valuable PPC quirks the MC2 doesn't get

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Weissritter posted:

You can run it on the MCII-4 or MCII-A. I wouldn't say it's non-viable, but I think the Warhawk probably does it better.

MCII-A
+Jump Jet
+Lower Arm Actuators (not really relevant for sniping, but useful if a light gets in your face)
+Higher Mounts
+2 Heatsinks

Vs.

WHK-PRIME
+6 KPH
+20% PPC Velocity
-4% PPC Heat
+11 CT Structure
+18 ST Structure
+21 Arm Structure
+9 Leg Structure

Also, being five tons lighter the Warhawk is a fair bit more nimble, and while the MCII has more base armor/structure as befits a heavier mech, that's offset by the WHK's quirks.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Good points. I guess I will only try out PPC MC2 when I have an excess of credits/boredom.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

You can run it on the MCII-4 or MCII-A. I wouldn't say it's non-viable, but I think the Warhawk probably does it better.

MCII-A
+Jump Jet
+Lower Arm Actuators (not really relevant for sniping, but useful if a light gets in your face)
+Higher Mounts
+2 Heatsinks

Vs.

WHK-PRIME
+6 KPH
+20% PPC Velocity
-4% PPC Heat
+11 CT Structure
+18 ST Structure
+21 Arm Structure
+9 Leg Structure

Also, being five tons lighter the Warhawk is a fair bit more nimble, and while the MCII has more base armor/structure as befits a heavier mech, that's offset by the WHK's quirks.

The MK2 also has a pretty good shape to roll damage though, and the Warhawk is a gigantic cube with hitboxes that are impossible to miss. Once your armor is damaged, picking you apart is trivial; the MK2 doesn't have that problem.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Comedy option: Maximum Heatsonk

To be honest, the best build for a long-range MCII is probably just Gauss/PPC. With quad PPCs you have to split fire anyway, so you might as well go with the Rifles.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 17, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gauss and PPC have had ghost heat together for months, don't do gauss PPC.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

aniviron posted:

Gauss and PPC have had ghost heat together for months, don't do gauss PPC.

Yeah but.... like I just said, quad PPC breaks ghost heat just as bad, so if you're looking to run that on the MCII you might as well go with Gauss/PPC because you're dealing with the same problem either way and the rifles are more effective than a second pair of PPCs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 17, 2018

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
If I may suggest something for the OP?

Haven Kendrick's Battle Enhancement sound pack is freakin' amazing. Really changes the whole feel of the game and makes all the weapons sound much better. You can nab it HERE. To install, find your MWO folder, go to "game", drop pak into folder. DONE. Enjoy new sounds!

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Stringbean posted:

If I may suggest something for the OP?

Haven Kendrick's Battle Enhancement sound pack is freakin' amazing. Really changes the whole feel of the game and makes all the weapons sound much better. You can nab it HERE. To install, find your MWO folder, go to "game", drop pak into folder. DONE. Enjoy new sounds!

Thems some nice sounds. Also, played a game with that guy a few days ago was 10/10 voice comms.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Has that soundpack been updated for the new stuff, finally? If so I'll have to grab it again, those sounds are really well done.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Not everyone loves Gauss Rifles, Skippy. I can't really use them because of issues in my forearms. If you saw my warhawk video, my aim goes nuts every once and a while and that's why. PPCs are infinitely better for me. Hell, I can brawl with a Warhawk just fine. On my Deathstrike I use LBX-20s instead of Gauss Rifles now for the same reason, and it massively improved my damage output.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I haven't touched mechwarrior since the Xbox games. Can I be an Elemental or one of the conventional tanks?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

I haven't touched mechwarrior since the Xbox games. Can I be an Elemental or one of the conventional tanks?

Nope. Just Mechs. I don't know if they ever plan on adding tanks or elementals. I wouldn't bet on it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Xenothral posted:

Nope. Just Mechs. I don't know if they ever plan on adding tanks or elementals. I wouldn't bet on it.

Well there goes my dreams of recreating the old Crysis mod days of shooting at an Atlas's crotch from where it can't even see you until you're absolutely obliterated by an errant autocannon round from a friendly player.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

ChickenHeart posted:

Good news, Mechassault 3 is probably coming next year.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Isn't Living Legends still kicking around, or did they finally get sued into oblivion? If they are still going, that's where you can get your Elemental fix.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
New poo poo builds for broken robotjox:

HPPC Cicada (for lack of a good UAC10 skirmisher)
7 uPL 2 SRM2 Viper (the X5 does this better)

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Living Legends still exists, though hardly anyone plays anymore last I checked.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Living Legends still exists. And it even has it's own standalone installer/patcher now! Super easy to get up and running. That being said, there are still only like 40 people that play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The Repo Man posted:

Not everyone loves Gauss Rifles, Skippy. I can't really use them because of issues in my forearms. If you saw my warhawk video, my aim goes nuts every once and a while and that's why. PPCs are infinitely better for me. Hell, I can brawl with a Warhawk just fine. On my Deathstrike I use LBX-20s instead of Gauss Rifles now for the same reason, and it massively improved my damage output.

Tell him! I have bad fine motor skills and prefer brawling and lasers since they are much more forgiving than gauss. I also run dual LBX20's on my deathstrike. Being "bad" at aiming is nothing to be frustrated about, just pick the weapons that suits your play style.