Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Thanks for the advice on the medium brawlers. I went with the Assassin build for its overall speed, but I'm gonna need to earn more money (about 2 million more) to pay for an engine that'll end up being worth more than the mech chassis. Still looks like it'll be fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

Nice OP, the locust mastery pack should definitely go under the 'maybe buys'. IF you're going to spend money, its basically the best deal.

Also needs a a lil blurb about why Champion mechs are bad.

Oh man, you weren't wrong... The Pirate's Bane is crazy. First light mech I've fallen in love with.

Highlights: Killing a Dire Wolf by chewing off its legs, destroying an untouched Nova without taking any damage
https://plays.tv/s/LasgoE3ufshj

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crazyeyes24 posted:

This is my K9: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=548&l=efb6d745aa1caca0e657b0776870e19b81b235cf

EDIT:

Don't buy champion mechs with MC. They give XP bonuses instead of Cbill bonuses which are far, far, less important. If you like the mech, look at getting the regular variant and then upgrading the weapons, etc. to match the champion.

The Mad Cat is the dirty Freebirth name for the mighty Timber Wolf. (All the clan mechs are named using their appropriate Clan names. The oness you may be familiar with are the inner sphere designations)

Trying this build out now along with the Hellbringer in the OP. I'm new to the game though so don't know much. Do you have a good skilltree for the K9?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Eclipse12 posted:

Oh man, you weren't wrong... The Pirate's Bane is crazy. First light mech I've fallen in love with.

Highlights: Killing a Dire Wolf by chewing off its legs, destroying an untouched Nova without taking any damage
https://plays.tv/s/LasgoE3ufshj

Switch to 4Med Lasers, double heatsinks, and stealth armor. You'll literally never play another light.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

BattleTech posted:

Switch to 4Med Lasers, double heatsinks, and stealth armor. You'll literally never play another light.

But machine guns are so fuuuuuuuuuun...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eclipse12 posted:

But machine guns are so fuuuuuuuuuun...

MLX-G

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Yeah, but then I'd have to use a Clan mech.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

Yeah, but then I'd have to use a Clan mech.

SDR-5K

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

You could also wait until the Osiris comes out for MC next week. The OSR-4D is an underrated and quietly powerful light mech.

I've been looking into getting one for CB whenever they come out, just because they look cool. What makes the OSR-4D good? Looking at it on paper it looks like a slightly lighter Firestarter or Jenner F, both of which are pretty garbage about now.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

That Works posted:

Trying this build out now along with the Hellbringer in the OP. I'm new to the game though so don't know much. Do you have a good skilltree for the K9?

I do not have one handy, but taking a shot in the dark I came up with:
https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=jsonbin1.5a6e4df26452e777d98bc3d5#s=Weapons

Someone else might have some better input though. I also never run consumables, but if you do you might rather have some points for coolshots etc.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

How does this dumb thing look? It felt alright in the test drive at least.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

They don't make a Rifleman 8D, so I had to make it myself

https://plays.tv/video/5a6df79ca020d0d63c/triple-kill-chaingun-carnage-shoot-til-you-shut-down-?from=user

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Yardbomb posted:

How does this dumb thing look? It felt alright in the test drive at least.

XL in a crab isn't the the worst idea but it really isn't playing to its strengths either. if you're going to pack a large pulse in the CT (and why not) it seems like a waste not to be zombie capable.

this would be my suggestion

CRB-27B

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Banano's build looks much more solid, even if it is not as exciting.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

I got full MPLs on my 27B: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=332&l=2fdec4cb6722ff38ae44995a0c70fe5bab329683

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
So I tried a stab at building a mech: MCII-B , how bad did I mess up?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Not the best, for sure. The UAC20, LLs, and LRMs don't cooperate very well.
If you like UAC20s I'd say something more like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=584&l=1f90ba1dedf217705eb2a463fefec0b1751589b6

Or you could do a deathstrike-like build and use Gauss Rifles instead of the acs.
Something more like: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=584&l=cfbdd24560ac2c952b3883ddd0e6101b250476c7

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Crazyeyes24 posted:

If you like UAC20s I'd say something more like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=584&l=1f90ba1dedf217705eb2a463fefec0b1751589b6

Or you could do a deathstrike-like build and use Gauss Rifles instead of the acs.
Something more like: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=584&l=cfbdd24560ac2c952b3883ddd0e6101b250476c7

You could at least slap Ferro Fibrous on the second build and add some more heatsinks or something.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I would very much not recommend UAC20s, especially clan ones, if you're looking for a good mech. They're fun most of the time, but if you don't have an assload of weapons to back up your UAC20 when it jams (and it will jam, on average just a bit under one in every five clicks) then you're totally hosed, enjoy your eight second jam with an opponent in brawling range in your mech that will be slower than the enemy mech because you're in an assault. Oh, and the other guy knows because your weapon shows as red on the HUD to him when you're jammed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

aniviron posted:

I've been looking into getting one for CB whenever they come out, just because they look cool. What makes the OSR-4D good? Looking at it on paper it looks like a slightly lighter Firestarter or Jenner F, both of which are pretty garbage about now.

Slightly smaller and a lot more mobile. It's got about 30% accel/decel on the Firestarter, the stats by which lights live or die. What sets is apart from the other high mobility ultra-lights is the jump jet. It can decelerate and turn almost at the speed of a locust.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 29, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Hey, BeefySupreme here. I just wanted to give some feedback, please don't take this as a talkdown.

That MCII-B build is a typically noob build. It is a good mech with heavy weapons but there is no synergy, it's just the heaviest weapons you could find put on the heaviest mech you own. (not talking specifically about you just the image this build sends out).
If I saw this build in-game I would instantly know that the pilot is a beginner and I would abuse it. This is the biggest problem with bringing "weird" or "quirky" builds as a beginner, experienced players know the noob traps and can spot them a mile away. Even if the weapons are good and the damage is high it shows that whoever is piloting it probably won't be able to twist as good or position as good as a more experienced player. Same with the DeathStrike build, there is the meta build which is "the best" and if someone brings something else it means something, probably that whoever does it doesn't fully understand the game.

This is why I think beginners should focus on playing "meta" builds, powerful builds where you can make mistakes without being instantly vaporized, builds that let you learn the game in a good pace. This does not mean I think that beginners should only play a "approved" list of mechs and should not be allowed to try their own builds, what I want to avoid is new players coming to this game, making their own "weird" builds and getting frustrated when they are doing badly and then quit playing. I've seen this many times.

I feel that bringing weird/bad builds and a refusal to learn good positioning and twisting is the top reasons that new players get frustrated and stop playing. The amount of times I've spectated people while they yell about getting hit CT only while staring down assaultmechs in their works-for-me builds....

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
How good an idea is a Light Engine on something like a Brawling (AC20/3SRM6) Victor. I've got the crit spaces available and the equivalent weight Light Engine seems to gets me a good 10% speed boost but I'm unfamiliar with how badly these new toys gently caress up my survivability on a practical level.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A very good idea. Running an STD on something like the VTR-9S is a waste. It costs you speed that you badly need and it's got no head or CT mounts, so there's no real value to being alive once both the side torso are out

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 29, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nickiepoo posted:

How good an idea is a Light Engine on something like a Brawling (AC20/3SRM6) Victor. I've got the crit spaces available and the equivalent weight Light Engine seems to gets me a good 10% speed boost but I'm unfamiliar with how badly these new toys gently caress up my survivability on a practical level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Edit: Something like this VTR-9S
It's light on ammo so you need the ammo skills, I also use mine without the JJs because I feel they don't add that much, someone might disagree though.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 29, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And just as a general rule it's best to think the LFE as the default engine, only going to an STD or XL if the build demands it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

aniviron posted:

I would very much not recommend UAC20s, especially clan ones, if you're looking for a good mech. They're fun most of the time, but if you don't have an assload of weapons to back up your UAC20 when it jams (and it will jam, on average just a bit under one in every five clicks) then you're totally hosed, enjoy your eight second jam with an opponent in brawling range in your mech that will be slower than the enemy mech because you're in an assault. Oh, and the other guy knows because your weapon shows as red on the HUD to him when you're jammed.

Theyre ok in pairs. Like on a King Crab with backup srms.

Shame ita still a KC though :/

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

On an IS mech regular AC20s are an option, so the UAC20 is even less viable.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

And just as a general rule it's best to think the LFE as the default engine, only going to an STD or XL if the build demands it.

I think of it like this (very generalized), the heavier you get the less an XL you want, unless it's clan of course then you always want the XL, no exceptions....well...SNV-1 but other than that I can't think of any.

Lights: XL (Yes even in the Urbie, it rolls damage so well)
Mediums: XL, LFE (STD if you have CT energy mount like the CRB-27B)
Heavies: LFE (Usually only a STD in my Thunderbolts, XL very rarely when you need to go fast like WHM-6D or RFL-5D)
Assaults: LFE, STD (XL only in cases where it is needed like BLR-2C 5xLPL, STD in zombie mechs like the Stalker (CT energy mount) or where it is needed like ANH-2A 4xLBX10)

Remember that when you lose a LFE torso your heat management goes to poo poo. If you pack one side with weapons and the other with heatsinks you might not be able to fire any more if you lose the "dead" side so take that into account.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Oh god I'm going to have to spend millions on my fleet of outdated mechs.

But good to know, thanks.

How important would you guys say the Artemis is for SRM6s? I notice that a lot of my old brawling builds don't use them, but that's before I had this extra weight-saving measure.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nickiepoo posted:

Oh god I'm going to have to spend millions on my fleet of outdated mechs.

But good to know, thanks.

How important would you guys say the Artemis is for SRM6s? I notice that a lot of my old brawling builds don't use them, but that's before I had this extra weight-saving measure.

They recently nerfed artemis so it's not as good as before but here is my opinion: If I can take it I will take it. The only mechs I have that do not use artemis are lights, mediums and the MAD-IIC-SC (2xLBX20, 4xSRM6). I think it is a huge difference, especially when paired with LBX20's, you really want that punch to hit as focused as possible.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The SRM6 always needs Artemis. I've seen some decent arguments for skipping it on the Inner Sphere 4, but I don't support them. Damage spreading is a huge factor in reducing pinpoint TTK, which is the number one thing you're looking for in a brawler... or practically any other mech for that matter.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

Hey, BeefySupreme here. I just wanted to give some feedback, please don't take this as a talkdown.

That MCII-B build is a typically noob build. It is a good mech with heavy weapons but there is no synergy, it's just the heaviest weapons you could find put on the heaviest mech you own. (not talking specifically about you just the image this build sends out).
If I saw this build in-game I would instantly know that the pilot is a beginner and I would abuse it. This is the biggest problem with bringing "weird" or "quirky" builds as a beginner, experienced players know the noob traps and can spot them a mile away. Even if the weapons are good and the damage is high it shows that whoever is piloting it probably won't be able to twist as good or position as good as a more experienced player. Same with the DeathStrike build, there is the meta build which is "the best" and if someone brings something else it means something, probably that whoever does it doesn't fully understand the game.

This is why I think beginners should focus on playing "meta" builds, powerful builds where you can make mistakes without being instantly vaporized, builds that let you learn the game in a good pace. This does not mean I think that beginners should only play a "approved" list of mechs and should not be allowed to try their own builds, what I want to avoid is new players coming to this game, making their own "weird" builds and getting frustrated when they are doing badly and then quit playing. I've seen this many times.

I feel that bringing weird/bad builds and a refusal to learn good positioning and twisting is the top reasons that new players get frustrated and stop playing. The amount of times I've spectated people while they yell about getting hit CT only while staring down assaultmechs in their works-for-me builds....

So what would be the meta build on the MCII-B? I won't deny that I'm still pretty fresh coming back, but I at least thought these two would be better than the one he posted originally and be somewhat workable. And as to the whole, preventing player burnout from regular under-performance in crappy builds, that is exactly the thing I keep ragging on my lovely friends about when they do stupid stuff. So I completely agree with your point, just thought that I wasn't offering up 'noob' builds. In the spirit of learning from the mistakes, what WOULD be the proper build in this instance?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's posted in the OP under the recommended section: MCII-B

Basic meta for Clan Dakka assaults is two UAC10s plus however many UAC5s the mech can fit. For IS it's just UAC5s, all the way to the finish line.

Edit: and to cover the natural followup question of why Clans run UAC10s on their boats but IS don't: it's about space and weight ratios. IS UACs are heavier, hotter, and take up more critical slots. The opportunity cost of running tens over just another pair of fives ends up being too high.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 29, 2018

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

It's posted in the OP under the recommended section: MCII-B

Basic meta for Clan Dakka assaults is two UAC10s plus however many UAC5s the mech can fit. For IS it's just UAC5s, all the way to the finish line.

Edit: and to cover the natural followup question of why Clans run UAC10s on their boats but IS don't: it's about space and weight ratios. IS UACs are heavier, hotter, and take up more critical slots. The opportunity cost of running tens over just another pair of fives ends up being too high.

Ah, right. I forgot the MCII was in the OP. Thanks. And Smurfy doesn't take into account double taps for heat gen, correct?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Shadowed Bacon posted:

So what I would do when building a mech is think about how an engagement with it might go

For this one you'd probably open with the LRM at long range, right? The problem here is that LRMs (when they do work) need to be used en masse because they spread damage so dramatically. You've only got one so you'll be tickling people at best.

Then you'd probably move to some combination of the LRM and ER large lasers. You'd outgun anything short-ranged, of course, but the LRM requires you to maintain facetime to keep a lock and the ER larges have a long burn time. You'd have to keep staring at the enemy, basically, and you're not doing enough damage at range to justify it. Like, if you go up against an ERPPC Warhawk, you'll get wrecked -- he'll put four PPCs in your CT by the time your lasers have finished burning, and then he'll move behind cover to avoid the LRMs.

So, OK, now you're in brawling range and you can bring the U/AC20s into play. Two of them ghost heat one another so you have to stare more than you'd like, but you can still do work with them and people aren't going to be eager to eat all that damage. But what's happened is that you can't effectively bring your LRM or ER larges into play at that range -- the LRM because you'll be within minimum range and the ER Larges because they'll overheat you very quickly. That's 13.5 tons of weapons/ammo that you straight-up cannot use at the range where your primary weapons are most effective.

So what you have is a mech that can't LRM effectively, can't trade at long range, and will be outgunned by high-alpha brawlers at short range.

Also a mech that can take jump jets should always take one. It doesn't need to be more than one but the advantage in mobility it gives is extremely valuable.

Truth be told the MC-II-B doesn't work as a brawler since it only has the one missile slot and any dual gauss/dual PPC thing got killed by the new ghost heat rules.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The conventional wisdom is always "Artemis is mandatory" but every time I have seen someone run the numbers the conventional wisdom has been wrong. Here is a chart. This one is slightly outdated, but the only relevant change in the mean time is that Artemis has been nerfed, so regular SRMs are even better compared to ASRMs. Essentially, if you could take ASRM4s or vanilla SRM6s, you want SRM6s. If you have the tonnage for Artemis on your SRM6s, great, it will help you accurately place shots; but if you don't, it's not a huge earth-shattering deal.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

The money grinder Hellbringer build on the loyalty Hellbringer owns. Even in subpar games I still get over 100k.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
important question, which mech would you say most resembles 'Flavor Flav' of 80's/90's rap titans Public Enemy?

Ilvatu
Jun 7, 2009

Banano posted:

important question, which mech would you say most resembles 'Flavor Flav' of 80's/90's rap titans Public Enemy?

A K-9 with googly eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok guys,

I haven't played in 2 years and my god what the gently caress.... I'm completely lost now.

I have 92 mechs:

22 Lights:
Adders
Artic Cheetahs
Jenners
Ravens
Spiders
Kit Fox
Locusts
Couple Firestarters

39 Mediums:
Blackjacks
Centurions
Cicadas
Griffins
Hunchbacks
Nova
Stormcrow
Shadowhawk
Trebuchets
Wolverines

24 heavies:
Cataphract
Catapult
Dragons
Jaeger
Orion hero
Quickdraw
Summoner
Thunderbolt
Timberwolf

23 Assault:
Atlas
Awesome
battlemaster
Direwolf
Highlander hero
King Crab
Stalker
warhawk

5 million C-bills, a bunch of GXP, bunch of old XP stuff..

Looking for a couple builds that I can get back into it and make money. I do have a bunch of +cash mechs I think...