Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Guess it's time to comb through these heavy mechs for stuff I don't have.

Ebon Jag is looking cool.

Wish the TBR was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes they are. Guaranteed 3 engine crits if you lose a torso section, and 3 engine crits is a dead engine.

Mechanically they're similar, but the way damage is applied in table-top makes them a bit less likely to explode in one well-aimed shot.

TheKingslayer posted:

Wish the TBR was better.

Sadly, the TBR and all other over-clocked clan OmniMechs will remain bad unless and until you can tweak their engine values.

Having an oversized engine was a decent upside back when it had more impact on mobility, but now all you get is the speed at a very high price in tonnage.

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005
I ended up buying a WHM-6R in the sale, is the build in the op still good?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Skippy McPants posted:

Mechanically they're similar, but the way damage is applied in table-top makes them a bit less likely to explode in one well-aimed shot.

Sadly, the TBR and all other over-clocked clan OmniMechs will remain bad unless and until you can tweak their engine values.

Having an oversized engine was a decent upside back when it had more impact on mobility, but now all you get is the speed at a very high price in tonnage.

I feel like there has to be a way for the executioner to be good since it can have so many energy hardpoints, but all of my games in it have been terrible. I guess it is basically a worse hellbringer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheKingslayer posted:

Wish the TBR was better.
I like my timber. 4 SRM6 and a pair of PPCs. Does pretty well for me.

How long is the heavy mech sale? I like clan mechs, and a triple PPC nova cat seems fun.

Nemins posted:

Mine runs a pair of LBX10 and some mediums. I play the assaults more lately, but the WHM is a whole lot more mobile.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 2, 2021

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Lorem ipsum posted:

I feel like there has to be a way for the executioner to be good since it can have so many energy hardpoints, but all of my games in it have been terrible. I guess it is basically a worse hellbringer.

Executioner is extremely good but you have to be getting value out of its MASC and jumpjets. There are a lot of top tier players that run them and do some pretty terrifying poo poo with them.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Nemins posted:

It is. I run an XL 300 because that's what I had available at the time and it's still a monster. The only real difference between it and the LE 280 version is that I have a Targeting Computer 1 and a bit more armor. If you don't end up liking the gauss playstyle, you can swap in the stock engine, slap in a pair of LB 20-X, and get up close and personal.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

Radar deprivation is useful. If nothing else the little light flicker tells you when someone is looking at your dumb rear end.

Radar dep is worth it for the flicker alone- the fact that it makes life annoying for lockon missiles is just icing, really. I can't count high enough to tell you the number of times I have been saved when I am on the back line and suddenly get a flash letting me know someone is about to ride up on my rear end. It also really helps in the peeking game. People who don't invest in radar dep are a lot more predictable when they repeek, which lets you get the shot in and fade while they have to guess whether you are going to repeek or reposition, and where you are repositioning.

I tend to get seismic sensor as well, though not every mech benefits from it. Once you're deep enough in the sensor tree to get radar dep though, it's like four more nodes to get some radar dep, and having a shortrange radar wallhack is way more valuable than a couple percentage points of extra range.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ended up grabbing the Cataphract Hero, a dakka Summoner, a AC2 RFL-iic, and a lb20 brawler catapult.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I think I just bought a Cobra Cat and a Black Widow on a whim... Interested to see how the BW does vs the 6R. AFAICT it trades 2 of the torso energy for torso ballistics, and an AMS. Wonder if it'll play much different

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
You just go all in in ballistics and it plays quite well tbh.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Commoners posted:

Executioner is extremely good but you have to be getting value out of its MASC and jumpjets. There are a lot of top tier players that run them and do some pretty terrifying poo poo with them.

Even post mobility nerf?!
Hm. does it compare at all to how the spirit bear used to be?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

You just go all in in ballistics and it plays quite well tbh.

Yeah I used the UAC10 + 2AC5 version for a few weeks straight and it absolutely rips. The paint job rules too. Sweet mech

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TheParadigm posted:

Even post mobility nerf?!
Hm. does it compare at all to how the spirit bear used to be?

Nothing will 😕

Although if they restore the SB’s mobility I would totally play again, I loved that robot

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I picked up a hellfire-prime and marauder-3r during the heavy sale, and love them both. The hellfire's combo of masc, heavy lasers, and lrm support is fantastic, as is continous accurate snipes w/ marauder ppcs.
I think heavy mechs are my happy place in this game, tough enough to put up with my positioning mistakes and fast enough to get me out of them lol

Also, Vitric Forge is stunning. Whoever designed the skybox of a sun knocked it out of the loving park. Is there a reason why it's not in the map rotation?

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 4, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

IAmThatIs posted:

I picked up a hellfire-prime and marauder-3r during the heavy sale, and love them both. The hellfire's combo of masc, heavy lasers, and lrm support is fantastic, as is continous accurate snipes w/ marauder ppcs.
I think heavy mechs are my happy place in this game, tough enough to put up with my positioning mistakes and fast enough to get me out of them lol

Also, Vitric Forge is stunning. Whoever designed the skybox of a sun knocked it out of the loving park. Is there a reason why it's not in the map rotation?

Forge is a faction play map

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Pattonesque posted:

Forge is a faction play map

Huh, I've never done faction play because I figured there was no reason because I'm v bad (bottom rank 3). Is there a reason to do it other than new maps?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Free mech bays and masochism unless you're in a coordinated group.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The game mode in faction play is pretty fun if you know what you're doing, used to be worth it for that.

But then they made it so that most of the time faction play is just the regular maps but with spawn camping, so now there's literally no reason to play it.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

No matter how many new mechs I pick up, I always end up going back to the dual AC20 Jagermech. It's so much fun to play.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If I have a shitload of playtime on mech A, and buy mech B that needs skill points, what do I actually need to do to get SP into mech B?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ilkhan posted:

If I have a shitload of playtime on mech A, and buy mech B that needs skill points, what do I actually need to do to get SP into mech B?

It depends.

There are a million and 1 ways to gain SP, I'll go over all of them (that I can remember) real quick, but if you're newer to the game or don't play a lot the most likely sources are,

• Mech Specific XP to SP: this is simply playing the mech you want to skill up and using its XP to buy Skill Points.
  • General XP (GXP) to SP: general XP is a pool if XP you can use to buy SP on any many. It accrues slowly each match or through,
  • Mech Specific XP to GXP: XP from one mech can be converted to GXP for use on any mech at the cost of MC. Spend carefully, the pricetag for converting enough XP to GXP to fully skill out a new mech (91 points) is about 7-10 USD.

Other ways to gain SP include,
  • GSP: a pool of General Skill Points that can be used on any mech, normally award for events or legacy refunds.
  • HSP: Historic Skill Points, mech specific and usually the result of a mech's SP being reset a part of a patch.
  • HXP: Historic XP, mech specific and the result of refunds given when the Skill Tree was first implemented.
  • Other: ??? I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

It's so simply, so easy!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So there's no way to convert mech xp to a different mech without mc. That's what I thought/feared. Welp, I'll throw $10 at it when I get around to it.

Thanks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BurtLington posted:

No matter how many new mechs I pick up, I always end up going back to the dual AC20 Jagermech. It's so much fun to play.

BOOM BOOM

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ilkhan posted:

So there's no way to convert mech xp to a different mech without mc. That's what I thought/feared. Welp, I'll throw $10 at it when I get around to it.

Thanks.

Yeah, Mech-to-Mech paying MC is the only way to move XP.

PGI knows where they money is at.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Converting enough mech experience to fully skill out another mech will run you 2,912 MC, and you'll still have to pay the C-bill fee to buy skill points. The 3,000 MC pack on the store is $14.95.

You can buy 100 GSP on the in-game store for 1,250 MC. The store on the MWO website has a pack of 200 GSP for $10. There are bundles on sale right now that include GSP, MC, and premium time for $11 and $22. Burning GSP to skill out a mech doesn't incur the C-bill fee.

So if you want to drop any cash to speed up the process, I'd look into the bundles first.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

That's perfect. If I get 2 of the $11 does the premium time stack? I expect it does. The colors aren't a big deal.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It honestly doesn't take long to fill out a mech's tree normally though. Especially if you have premium time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
not that this will ever happen but I would totally buy a melee mech pack if they introduced melee into the game

just a max-armor TSMed/Supercharger'd out Berserker putting a hatchet in fools all day

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I got shot in the back by TTB twice in a row today and just quit the game. Look for it on youtube I guess.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Like, friendly fire? Or just sneaky backstabbing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Knowing ipsum, he held W to win and did not look left or right before crossing a road.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

IAmThatIs posted:

Like, friendly fire? Or just sneaky backstabbing.

We tactically rotated into being surrounded

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Star Man posted:

Converting enough mech experience to fully skill out another mech will run you 2,912 MC, and you'll still have to pay the C-bill fee to buy skill points. The 3,000 MC pack on the store is $14.95.

You can buy 100 GSP on the in-game store for 1,250 MC. The store on the MWO website has a pack of 200 GSP for $10. There are bundles on sale right now that include GSP, MC, and premium time for $11 and $22. Burning GSP to skill out a mech doesn't incur the C-bill fee.

So if you want to drop any cash to speed up the process, I'd look into the bundles first.

Oh, did they finally add the ability to just buy GSP? That's good.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nice game just now. Cheers. Haha.

Edit:
Oh no, don't kill me too hard now.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 8, 2021

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Nice game just now. Cheers. Haha.

Edit:
Oh no, don't kill me too hard now.

Don't worry I've been running my suicide builds and it's been glorious. I need to save MC to put more bolt ons onto my atlas

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Commoners posted:

Don't worry I've been running my suicide builds and it's been glorious. I need to save MC to put more bolt ons onto my atlas

I'm out here trying to catch the hang of unskilled IS mechs with XLs and its uh... yeah it's rough.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Also I finally looked a the roadmap and apparently they're going to be doing a pass on jump jets? They're already one of my favorite things in the game even though they're kind of dinky and stupid, so if we can finally just be launching ourselves into the sky and poo poo I'd love that.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Speaking of jumpjets, is it even worth buying a viper if I'm not going to put down money for the hero? I can't really find a build I like without those extra arm mounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Commoners posted:

Also I finally looked a the roadmap and apparently they're going to be doing a pass on jump jets? They're already one of my favorite things in the game even though they're kind of dinky and stupid, so if we can finally just be launching ourselves into the sky and poo poo I'd love that.

Some amount of air control would be really nice